PDA

View Full Version : Nba.com Coach of the year FAIL.

dnewguy
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Did any of you see the choices posted on NBA.com for coach of the year? They made a poll that included this 4 coaches: George Karl, Doug Collins, Nate Mcmillan and Greg Popovich.

Would any of these four will be the logical choice? I think the Coach of the year is a two man race, Doc Rivers and Tim Thibodeau...but then I may be wrong.

Who do you think should be coach of the year?

ttam68
03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Those are great choices. They just excluded the favorite, Thibs. Doc Rivers isn't even in the discussion.

1. Thibs
2. Popovich
3. Collins

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Why the hell Rivers lol?

Tom Thibeadeau is more of a MVP than D-Rose.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Thibs is the COY, and I don't see how there is a debate at this point.

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm with the top 3 in the east unknown I'm not willing to say Tom Thibeadeau yet. Gregg Popovich if he wins the west, the Spurs are a great team but I'm not going to punish the coach for that and I think the Spurs winning the west is more then I expected.

I'm going with a homer pick and legitimate pick in Doug Collins but would put Tom Thibeadeau or yet or Gregg Popovich if he wins the west.

mttwlsn16
03-30-2011, 09:17 AM
6ers playing a millionx better than expected. but still, itll be T squared

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2011, 09:18 AM

The problem I have with your statement is if the Bulls end up the 3 seed which is realistic at this point only 2 1/2 games between 1 and 3 then he didn't finish the season strong which is a big part of a coaches job. If the Bulls end in first I agree but not if they are in third. We need to see how this plays out.

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Thibs has got this on lockdown.

Cub_StuckinSTL
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
The problem I have with your statement is if the Bulls end up the 3 seed which is realistic at this point only 2 1/2 games between 1 and 3 then he didn't finish the season strong which is a big part of a coaches job. If the Bulls end in first I agree but not if they are in third. We need to see how this plays out.

Meh debatable. Last year they were 41-41 barely getting in with the 8th seed and did that by bring their D which was bad/mediocre at best to one of the top d's in the the league.

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Meh debatable. Last year they were 41-41 barely getting in with the 8th seed and did that by bring their D which was bad/mediocre at best to one of the top d's in the the league.

Not disputing that, but my point is the coach of the year doesn't blow a 2 (Celtics) or 2 1/2 (Heat) game lead with 7 or 8 games left. If that happens he doesn't deserve the award, but if he does win the east at this point then I think he deserves strong consideration depending on what happens with the Spurs and the Sixers.

If the Spurs win the west with there current injuries hold of the Lakers surge or if the Sixers do the almost impossible at this point and steal the 5th seed then you need to put Pop and Collins in the conversation. Not disrespecting Thibs but this need to play out first.

pacofunk64
03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
I agree Thibs should be up there along with Karl & Pop.

Hustlenomics
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
how the hell is Thibs not an option? he turned the Bulls around 360 degrees. And no way in hell does Doc deserve COY he's been bad

ChitownSports16
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Not disputing that, but my point is the coach of the year doesn't blow a 2 (Celtics) or 2 1/2 (Heat) game lead with 7 or 8 games left. If that happens he doesn't deserve the award, but if he does win the east at this point then I think he deserves strong consideration depending on what happens with the Spurs and the Sixers.

If the Spurs win the west with there current injuries hold of the Lakers surge or if the Sixers do the almost impossible at this point and steal the 5th seed then you need to put Pop and Collins in the conversation. Not disrespecting Thibs but this need to play out first.

so in another words you have tha bulls losing the 1st seed? So if your going by what seed a team is in then why should it go to Collins? Sorry I'm just not understanding your point.

Giraffes Rule
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Tom Thibeadeau belongs on the poll above Mcmillian, but how do you figure Pop shouldn't be on the list? Nobody picked the Spurs to be as good as they have been this year, and they've done it with Pop managing the minutes of his star players and vets the whole time.

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
so in another words you have tha bulls losing the 1st seed? So if your going by what seed a team is in then why should it go to Collins? Sorry I'm just not understanding your point.

No I don't having them losing the 1st seed, I said and I thought I said quite clearly if I didn't I apologize, that if they do and I want to see this season play out first. Assuming the Bulls win the east then he should get it, but if he doesn't I'm not sure he does because its his award to lose to right now.

The seed wasn't my point, its if the Bulls lose the number 1 seed with 7 or 8 games left then he's not coach of the year. That is a team folding at the end the year that is my point nothing more and nothing less. As for Collins, the Sixers started 3 - 13 and where garbage last year, that is why he is in the conversation.

avrpatsfan
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
It should be Thibs.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 10:01 AM

the Bulls weren't even supposed to contend for the #1 seed. They are #1 in defense easily, and are on pace for over 55 wins despite not having much offensive firepower. They also hold a good record against elite teams, etc.

Thibs is the choice because he has his team overachieving. The Heat and Celtics were easy choices to win the east. The Bulls were not.

I admit, what Pops is doing is great, but the Spurs are stacked, and have had basically zero injuries to deal with outside of very, very recently (when the season was basically in hand).

ManRam
03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Thibs should be more of a lock for COY than Rose for MVP. Both should win...but what Thibs has done has been more remarkable IMO. Collins has been great too...but Thibs is on a whole other level. Pops and McMillen also would be in my top 4.

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
the Bulls weren't even supposed to contend for the #1 seed. They are #1 in defense easily, and are on pace for over 55 wins despite not having much offensive firepower. They also hold a good record against elite teams, etc.

Thibs is the choice because he has his team overachieving. The Heat and Celtics were easy choices to win the east. The Bulls were not.

I admit, what Pops is doing is great, but the Spurs are stacked, and have had basically zero injuries to deal with outside of very, very recently (when the season was basically in hand).

I'm going to say this one more time and only one more time because people are clearly not getting it, no offensive intended with that statement.

I never said anything negative about the Bulls.
I never refuted the Bulls are a great team.
I never said Thibs isn't worthy of the the award.

I said:

The east is still close, and if Thibs is coach of the year the Bulls finish the season with the number 1 seed.
If the Heat or Celtics manage to take the number 1 seed he is not coach of the year because that means blowing a 2 or 2 1/2 game lead with 7 or 8 games left.
Number 1 seed its his to lose.

The biggest thing I said:

Lets see how this thing plays out first.

I spelled things out clearly go back and read my posts and take emotion out of it and read the words I typed.

Super.
03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Give it to Thibs!

Dark Donnie
03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Many would argue what Collins did with The Sixers is just as impressive as what Thibs did. Sixers were one of the worst teams in the league last year and he's got them playing like a Top 5 team in the East with about the same roster.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm going to say this one more time and only one more time because people are clearly not getting it, no offensive intended with that statement.

I said:

The east is still close, and if Thibs is coach of the year the Bulls finish the season with the number 1 seed.
If the Heat or Celtics manage to take the number 1 seed he is not coach of the year because that means blowing a 2 or 2 1/2 game lead with 7 or 8 games left.

I spelled things out clearly go back and read my posts and take emotion out of it and read the words I typed.

So if the Bulls finish 4-3, and do drop from 1st to say 2nd. But the Sixers finish 4-3, as their winning % would say they should, Collins should get it over Thibs because Thibs didn't finish strong? Basically because of the Celtics struggles, we've gotten the 1 seed which earned him COY, and because of that, if we struggle a few games and move out of the 1 seed he is no longer COY.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 10:21 AM

I said:

I am not even a Bulls fan. Obviously securing the #1 seed would help Thib's case. But my point remains. The Bulls are overachieving, and are the most positive story of the season.

The very fact that Jerry Sloan never won the COY award should show you the media doesn't care about who the best coach is, versus who the winner will be. Thib's has everything going for him. An MVP candidate PG, fighting for the #1 seed in the east, when nobody expected the Bulls to contend, the big story, its all there.

Pops will be hurt by his absolutely insane consistency. "Oh look, Spurs have 60 wins" snoooooooooooze.

This is how the voting goes. You should know this

PhillyFaninLA
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I am not even a Bulls fan. Obviously securing the #1 seed would help Thib's case. But my point remains. The Bulls are overachieving, and are the most positive story of the season.

The very fact that Jerry Sloan never won the COY award should show you the media doesn't care about who the best coach is, versus who the winner will be. Thib's has everything going for him. An MVP candidate PG, fighting for the #1 seed in the east, when nobody expected the Bulls to contend, the big story, its all there.

Pops will be hurt by his absolutely insane consistency. "Oh look, Spurs have 60 wins" snoooooooooooze.

This is how the voting goes. You should know this

That's fair and your last 2 posts are good points but I stand by the idea of wanting to see how things play out in the last handful of games.

I do want to add I respect the way you explain your points both in degree of support and the tone conveyed. Your posts are much nicer then mine.

chitown815
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
NBA Executive of the Year Award should either goto Gar/Pax in Chi or Dwayne Wade in Mia
COY Thibs

ragee
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I think Nate and Popovich are legit contenders but the award should go to Thib...

gsgs49
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Thibs is clearly the COY,the voting should be:
1-Thibs
2-Collins
3-Poppovich
4-Mcmillan
5-Karl

But that don't surprise me,a few months ago they had "who is the best point guard" poll and the options were:Rose,Williams,Rondo and Westbrook

~Iggy~
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Tom Thibodeau should be COY. What he has done with the Bulls is remarkable.

swirl54
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Thibs

diggerbsb
03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
It's gotta be George Karl guys. Coming off intense chemo, losing all his weight and strength and coming into a situation where his best player is forcing his way out. For nearly five months he dealt with that and still led the team to a respectable 32-25 record. Now since losing melo, like many other people, I believed the nuggets days of competing were gone. But to show how great a great coach can be, George got them all together and they are playing some of the best basketball in the league today. 12-4 since the trade with a defense that gives up about 10 points per game less than the old version. If I had a vote it'd be for GK

ackar
03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
how the hell is Thibs not an option? he turned the Bulls around 360 degrees. And no way in hell does Doc deserve COY he's been bad

You mean 180 degrees 360 would put you back at your starting point. But we all get the sentiment.

Thibs COY!

Tarheels23
03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
1. Thibideau
2. Popovich
3. Collins

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
That's fair and your last 2 posts are good points but I stand by the idea of wanting to see how things play out in the last handful of games.

I do want to add I respect the way you explain your points both in degree of support and the tone conveyed. Your posts are much nicer then mine.

its because I am such a nice guy... :)

besides, who would bother reading what I have to say if I were a jerk about it?

Geargo Wallace
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
who is tim thibs?

210Don
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
lol @ rivers

MrfadeawayJB
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
1. Thibs
2. Pops
3. Rivers
4. Collins
5. Hollins?

justinnum1
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Why the hell Rivers lol?

yea he is

RIPSweetness34
03-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Bulls ended the season at .500 last year and now they are more than 30 games over. It really isn't even a discussion, aren't the sixers in the 8 seed? And even if the Bulls got the 3 seed that would still be more impressive than what the sixers have done. Im not sayin Collins hasn't done a great job, but it's not even close.

jamesdoakes403
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd give it to George Karl.

Geargo Wallace
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
D'antoni

Avenged
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Phil Jackson anyone... needs to get one more before he retires :p

Thibs deserves it though. They are overachieving and he has brought them a defensive mindset that is doing wonders for them.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM

agree. he has done a perfect job with the Bulls.

Shahrose
03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Why the hell Rivers lol?

I'm a HUGE Rose fan and I agree 100% with that statement

Niro
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM

must be a a totaly new feeling after your turned around 360 degrees

ttam68
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Bulls ended the season at .500 last year and now they are more than 30 games over. It really isn't even a discussion, aren't the sixers in the 8 seed? And even if the Bulls got the 3 seed that would still be more impressive than what the sixers have done. Im not sayin Collins hasn't done a great job, but it's not even close.

The Sixers are the 6th seed, and have played more like the 4 or 5 since their awful start.

Both the Bulls and the Sixers are on pace to win about 12 more games then last season. But, in terms of percentage the Sixers will have 40% more wins than last year while the Bulls will have only improved by 30%.

In addition, Thibs is the beneficiary of a huge roster overhaul and free agent season for the Bulls, as well as whatever improvement you want to credit Rose with. Collins, on the the other hand, has nearly an identical roster with no true star, a struggling rookie, and what has seemed like poor chemistry in past seasons.

Its very, very debatable.

KmB728
03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Thibs

IamKaiserSoze
03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Those are great choices. They just excluded the favorite, Thibs. Doc Rivers isn't even in the discussion.

1. Thibs
2. Popovich
3. Collins

this. although thibs winn ing it depends on what seed they finish. but certainly pops and collins are in the conversation.

danniboi168
03-30-2011, 01:08 PM
no reason thibs shouldn't win.

The Jokemaker
03-30-2011, 01:10 PM
1. Lionel Hollins
2. Thib
3. McMillan

HouRealCoach
03-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Thibs is a lock... Doc Rivers??? Be forreal

hgtiger32
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
1. Tom Thibadeau
2. Doug Collins
3. Greg Popp
4. Nate McMillan

in that order

theheatles
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
the only 2 ppl that i can see winning coach of the year is popovich or thibodeau, even though collins name is always brought into discussion

rhino17
03-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Doc Rivers?

LOL, he isnt even a good coach

SeoulBeatz
03-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Bulls ended the season at .500 last year and now they are more than 30 games over. It really isn't even a discussion, aren't the sixers in the 8 seed? [/B] And even if the Bulls got the 3 seed that would still be more impressive than what the sixers have done. Im not sayin Collins hasn't done a great job, but it's not even close.

Shouldn't you know the standing of the team that just beat your Bulls twice in a row?.....:eyebrow:, just sayin.

And to say it's not even close is kinda ignorant.

id do agree it should be thibs, but only by a hair at this point.

PurpleJesus28
03-30-2011, 02:11 PM
i think its gonna finish
1. thibs
2. pop

but should be
1. thibs
2. collins

redwhitenblue
03-30-2011, 02:30 PM
The Sixers are the 6th seed, and have played more like the 4 or 5 since their awful start.

Both the Bulls and the Sixers are on pace to win about 12 more games then last season. But, in terms of percentage the Sixers will have 40% more wins than last year while the Bulls will have only improved by 30%.

In addition, Thibs is the beneficiary of a huge roster overhaul and free agent season for the Bulls, as well as whatever improvement you want to credit Rose with. Collins, on the the other hand, has nearly an identical roster with no true star, a struggling rookie, and what has seemed like poor chemistry in past seasons.

Its very, very debatable.
The Bulls have already won 12 more games than last year with 9 games left to go.

IversonIsKrazy
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Thibs won't get it if Rose gets MVP. Pop deserves it.

IversonIsKrazy
03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Whens the last time the MVP and the COY were given to the same team?

ttam68
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
The Bulls have already won 12 more games than last year with 9 games left to go.

Fine, I was too lazy to project the final records earlier.

Hollinger has the Bulls winning 60 and the Sixers 43. That puts the Bulls at a 46% increase and the Sixers at 59%. But this was the lesser of my points, just tried to show their relative improvements were comparable.

Double_R
03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Thibs is pretty much a lock, but I have been quite impressed with Papa***** this season. Doc Rivers hasn't done anything but show up and watch an allstar team play.

theheatles
03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
i am shocked by the dismissal of pop like he doesn't have a chance...pop is the 3rd best coach in nba history and this is one of his finest regular season jobs...pop for coy and tim duncan 1st team all defense

Hitman21
03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Ive always been anti chicago bulls...but theres no doubt in my mind that T.T. should win this. Not even a debate in my opinion

ramsizzle
03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
i am shocked by the dismissal of pop like he doesn't have a chance...pop is the 3rd best coach in nba history and this is one of his finest regular season jobs...pop for coy and tim duncan 1st team all defense

i think it has to do with how average they are with any one of their main 3 gone. the same has happened with the bulls and they haven't missed a beat. in fact the bulls have had quite a bit more injuries than any team that is elite and still have the one seed.

EaglesJackson10
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
The only fail in that was not including Thibodeau. Karl, Collins, and Popovich are all good candidates I would just replace McMillan with Thibs.

DMasta718
03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
I would be surprised if Thibs doesn't get COTY.

The Jokemaker
03-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Really, no one mentioning Lionel Hollins? He's got the Grizzlies for the first time in years to be in the playoffs and they could get as high as the 6th seed. He's done this without a bonafide star player, transitioned the team seamlessly when they lost Gay, got Conley to have the best season of his career, managed the conflict between Allen and Mayo. Dealt with the displeasure by Mayo early in the season by benching him and with his later suspension, and has had a very good year in the toughest conference. And has done this with a team that does not shoot the 3 ball well.