PDA

View Full Version : Where do YOU rank Carmelo Anthony in the NBA?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jimm120
03-30-2011, 12:11 AM
UPDATE 4-7-11
looking at the overall stats:

51% believe he's top 10 at least
46% believe he's in the # 12 to # 25 slot.
3% are just fools...

I would like to know how much things have changed since he played on the Nuggets.

He went from
2008: 23 ppg, 6.8 reb, 3 ast, 1.1 stl, .4 blk
2009: 28ppg, 6.5 Reb, 3 ast, 1.3 stl, .4 blk
2010: 25 pgg, 7.2 reb, 3 ast, 1 stl, .5 blk

After his 2k8 season, we at PSD ranked him at #8.
After his 2k9 season, we at PSD ranked him at #7.

In 2k10, he's increased his rebounding and kept all of his other numbers the same, so if anything, he's improved. Yet I hear people ranking him at TOP 30 and top 15. What changed? Rose got better? That's still only one spot.

So, were do YOU rank him now during the season after analyzing these stats and these votes?
EDIT: NOTE - Top 8 is supposed to be top 10, so vote at your discretion.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536984

This is our annual voting.

2009 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwayne Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dwight Howard
6) Tim Duncan
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Carmelo Anthony
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Brandon Roy

Then comes the new 2010 vote:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Kevin Durant
5) Chris Paul
6) Dwight Howard
7) Carmelo Anthony
8) Dirk Nowitzki
9) Deron Williams
10) Duncan/Gasol

CowboysKB24
03-30-2011, 12:13 AM
5-9 range.

sargon21
03-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Top 15

RC3
03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
He is on the knicks now and gallinari is the next dirk.

Hustlenomics
03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Top 10 no doubt

Evolution23
03-30-2011, 12:17 AM
He is on the knicks now and gallinari is the next dirk.

this

jimm120
03-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Top 10 no doubt

yeah, I meant to put top 10 instead of top 8 but slipped. But hopefully people realize that top 8 and top 10 are pretty much the same thing.

D1JM
03-30-2011, 12:21 AM
arguably a top 15. closer to a top 20

DoMeFavors
25-30

tredigs
11-13. Though that is probably generous.

DoMeFavors
03-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Amare is a 15-20
Melo is a 25-30
Billups is a 45-50

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 12:25 AM
This has been debated time and time again. Guess what. With Kevin Love's, Russell Westbrook's, Derick Rose's, Pau Gasol's and Amare's play this season, his top 10 rank has been in jeopardy.

Those players have all vastly improved their game while Carmelo has played less efficient, his D hasn't improved a lick and has a slight boost in his rebounding. His clutch play is still stellar on offense but there is a lot to be asked for on D.

Top 15

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Alot of knicks haters man .its so clear check the statistic ahead :facepalm: sad

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 12:28 AM
At season's end when MileHighChamp does his usually polls we shall see a certain drop out of the top 10 in Melo's ranking.... UNLESS he can somehow lead the Knicks to a first round upset. Other than that he's going to fall out of that top 10.

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 12:31 AM
top 10

Q_bully
03-30-2011, 12:31 AM
This Poll will show just how much Knick haters they have on PSD

NYKalltheway
03-30-2011, 12:32 AM
How is Bosh top 15? :p

Badluck33
03-30-2011, 12:32 AM
worse since his efficiency has been exposed.

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 12:34 AM
My opinion of where Melo ranks right now is no different than how I felt before this season...great scorer good rebounder for his position...but doesn't set up his teammates enough and his defense...lol...well do I even need to finish that part? lol

off the top of my head I still probably have him top 10...but if I actually thought about it and broke it down he might not be anymore...It's not so much that Melo's gotten worse it's just other players have gotten better and he's still pretty much the same player..

jimm120
03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
This has been debated time and time again. Guess what. With Kevin Love's, Russell Westbrook's, Derick Rose's, Pau Gasol's and Amare's play this season, his top 10 rank has been in jeopardy.

Those players have all vastly improved their game while Carmelo has played less efficient, his D hasn't improved a lick and has a slight boost in his rebounding. His clutch play is still stellar on offense but there is a lot to be asked for on D.

Top 15

You really think that these players have improved their games so much that they've gotten into the top 10?

I say Rose definitely. No argument on that one.

Pau has not been as good this year as previous years. But I still rank him as #10/11.

Amare rose his level. I considered him #12/#13 and while he play MVP level in mid November and December, I considered that he went all the way to #9. But he's fallen back to top 13 for me. Still ahead of Bosh, obviously.

Westbrook, imo, will be great. But he's not top 10 yet. I would put him in top 20 around #18 - #20. But I DO believe he'll get close or move into the top 10 either at the end of next year or the year after.

Love? Uhmmm...no, just no. Not yet. I don't know if you know this, but Superstars also carry their teams to WINS. Much like Melo did with Denver since his arrival; like Roy did to Portland, like Durant has done with Seattle; like LeBron did with Cleveland. Love is no where close yet. But he's godly.

I wonder where Blake Griffen will end up once his "newness" wears off.

Amare

jimm120
03-30-2011, 12:37 AM
How is Bosh top 15? :p

I'm talking about how they were ranked BEFORE the season.

Obviously, you wouldn't see Bosh around top 15 anymore.

Same way you wouldn't see Roy around the Top 15 anymore either.

NYCkid12
03-30-2011, 12:39 AM
i got him in top 7....Top 5 in no particular order: Dwight, Lebron, D-Wade, Kobe, Durant... and then 6 and 7 are close between mello and CP3

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm curious if people think Wade is still better than rose

Hustlenomics
03-30-2011, 12:42 AM
I think I saw kevin love's name mentioned over him..Imma run now

Chi StateOfMind
03-30-2011, 12:42 AM
10-13 range

Crackadalic
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Is being top 15 really that bad? If your rank anywhere between 1 and 15 it has to mean something right?

Chi StateOfMind
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm curious if people think Wade is still better than rose

r u being sarcastic or do u think rose is better then wade

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Why are poster being called haters because they are saying that he is no longer a top 10 player? This has been said long before the Knicks traded for Melo. No one is attacking any fan base.

He has stayed stagnant (some may say he has even regressed) while Derrick Rose, Amar'e, Love, Westbrook have all taken their respective games to a higher tier. Pau has been extremely valuable and his impact and overall play on the Lakers has him just about where he stood last off season.

Melo is going to find a hard time cracking a knowledgeable unbiased posters top 10 in all honesty.

The Final Boss
03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Easily top 25. I wouldn't want him on my squad though. The dude is a clown. Funny how non-basketball minds prefer wingers instead of talented bigs because Gasol is the most talented all-around big in the NBA. He embarrased Howard in the Finals and Olympics yet was looked over. Check the tape of the Gold Medal Game when he made Howard piss his pants.

Crackadalic
03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Easily top 25. I wouldn't want him on my squad though. The dude is a clown. Funny how non-basketball minds prefer wingers instead of talented bigs because Gasol is the most talented all-around big in the NBA. He embarrased Howard in the Finals and Olympics yet was looked over. Check the tape of the Gold Medal Game when he made Howard piss his pants.

Pau does not impact the game the way Howard does.

tredigs
03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Quite honestly, I'd take a guy like LeMarcus Aldridge over 'Melo at this point if I'm trying to build a contender. All around, I'd argue that he's a better player to have than Melo.

And Knicks fans (who I have absolutely nothing against), this has nothing to do with you. This is how I feel about Melo's game. He's an absolutely unreal closer, but he does very little else at an elite level (can score in bunches, but not very efficiently).

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
You really think that these players have improved their games so much that they've gotten into the top 10?

Hell NO. But a case could be made that they have been better than Carmelo this season.

Based on play and production THIS season. Carmelo is not a top 10 player.

jimm120
03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
I believe people have not assimilated this piece of info:

He went from
2008: 23 ppg, 6.8 reb, 3 ast, 1.1 stl, .4 blk
2009: 28ppg, 6.5 Reb, 3 ast, 1.3 stl, .4 blk
2010: 25 pgg, 7.2 reb, 3 ast, 1 stl, .5 blk

After his 2k8 season, we at PSD ranked him at #8.
After his 2k9 season, we at PSD ranked him at #7.

He's scoring 2 more PPG than his #8 ranking, while grabbing more rebounds.
He's scoring 3 less PPG than his #7 ranking, while grabbing more rebounds.

So, it balances out somewhat. Unless a large influx of players magically entered the top 10, I don't see how Melo can mathematically be "knocked out" of the top 10.

I can understand Rose, whose had a phenomenal season. There is an argument there. But for everyone else, no. New people are out there, but some have stayed where they were or improved slightly (Pau/Amare), others have fallen off (Joe Johnson, Roy), and others have improved (Westbrook, Love) but those that improved aren't even in top 10 conversations (yet) for me.

So, strange to see people ranking Melo that far back now.

Can it be possible that a player has gotten better at one of his "weaknesses" (rebounding over 7 now, not at 5 or 6 reb as it used to be) and is now worse (even though all the other stats are the same).

hmmm. Maybe there IS some ny hate. I never believed it, but I guess coming from NY I never thought it existed.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 12:53 AM

WTF does this post have to do with the topic being discussed.

Dude get your nonsense outta here.

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 12:54 AM

So, it balances out somewhat. Unless a large influx of players magically entered the top 10, I don't see how Melo can mathematically be "knocked out" of the top 10.

I can understand Rose, whose had a phenomenal season. There is an argument there. But for everyone else, no. New people are out there, but some have stayed where they were or improved slightly (Pau/Amare), others have fallen off (Joe Johnson, Roy), and others have improved (Westbrook, Love) but those that improved aren't even in top 10 conversations (yet) for me.

So, strange to see people ranking Melo that far back now.

Can it be possible that a player has gotten better at one of his "weaknesses" (rebounding over 7 now, not at 5 or 6 reb as it used to be) and is now worse (even though all the other stats are the same).

hmmm. Maybe there IS some ny hate. I never believed it, but I guess coming from NY I never thought it existed.

well since you think there is hate going on why do you tell us your top 10

jimm120
03-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Hell NO. But a case could be made that they have been better than Carmelo this season.

Based on play and production THIS season. Carmelo is not a top 10 player.

but the thing is that his production THIS season is the same as his other "top 8 and top 7 ranking" seasons, aside for the fact that he's REBOUNDING MORE.

So yes, I fail to see how he's now fallen to the teens and all of these people like Aldridge, Amare, Love, Westrook, etc have overtaken him or possibly overtaken him.

Even when Amare was playing at an MVP level in Late Nov. to December, I didn't believe him better than the top 8 players in the league.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 12:57 AM

What you neglect to mention is that OTHER PLAYERS have improved their game so much that they can now be classed on the same level as Melo. He wasn't that far and above the rest he however benefited from the fact that there wasn't as much competition for the top 10 caliber players in the league.

That in itself is more important than anything.

Derick Rose was not the player he is now and he's easily better than Melo. As I stated time and time before other players have been better than Melo this season who weren't in the past. He is still a very good player no one is taking that away from him. His game is too one dimensional however.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 01:01 AM
but the thing is that his production THIS season is the same as his other "top 8 and top 7 ranking" seasons, aside for the fact that he's REBOUNDING MORE.

So yes, I fail to see how he's now fallen to the teens and all of these people like Aldridge, Amare, Love, Westrook, etc have overtaken him or possibly overtaken him.

Even when Amare was playing at an MVP level in Late Nov. to December, I didn't believe him better than the top 8 players in the league.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2011&year_max=2011&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=per&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2011&year_max=2011&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=per&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

^This is where Carmelo ranks in PER and WS this season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2010&year_max=2010&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=per&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2010&year_max=2010&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=per&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

^ now compare it to last season's rankings.

He's the same player while other players have surpassed him. End of story there in all honesty.

jimm120
03-30-2011, 01:04 AM
well since you think there is hate going on why do you tell us your top 10

my top 10?

Well, I know from my point of view (and trying to be as objective as possible),

I've considered Lebron, Kobe, Wade, and Dwight the top 4.

After that you have Durant, though he's regressed a little bit (point in blank, Melo hasn't). Dirk, untill he starts showing his age, is in the top 7.

So, my top 10 would shape up something like this

1 - Lebron
2 - Kobe
3 - Wade
4 - Dwight (though he might move up since Wade/Lebron playing together)
5 - Durant
6 - Dirk
7 - Rose
8 - Melo
9 - CP3 (though might drop because of injuries)
10 - Pau
11 - Deron

or something like that. I just don't see him falling behind past #11, so to me, he's in the #7 to 11 range...which would put him in the first category of top 10.

calibird707
03-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Who cares where he ranks...u think melo gives a **** where we rank him

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 01:07 AM

YES! Why wouldn't he. He may not care much about what we think but for himself I'm damn sure he'd wanna be a top 5 player in the league.

jimm120
03-30-2011, 01:07 AM
What you neglect to mention is that OTHER PLAYERS have improved their game so much that they can now be classed on the same level as Melo. He wasn't that far and above the rest he however benefited from the fact that there wasn't as much competition for the top 10 caliber players in the league.

That in itself is more important than anything.

Derick Rose was not the player he is now and he's easily better than Melo. As I stated time and time before other players have been better than Melo this season who weren't in the past. He is still a very good player no one is taking that away from him. His game is too one dimensional however.

just posted my ranking as you requested and again, the ONLY person I feel that COULD HAVE overtaken Melo is Rose...and I just don't feel that his game has weakened at all this season for it to drop on its own.

So, Melo staying the same and Rose improving enough to enter the top 10...that is only one person. So, where does everyone else go? Those other guys (Love, Westbrook, Aldridge, etc) are still not close to the top 10 to make Melo slide down more and Melo has not done anything to make him slide down on his own...so the only argument is Rose.

Just saying.

The Final Boss
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Trinidad, stats are like women- They're nice to look at, but they don't tell the whole story. Nice try though.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 01:14 AM
just posted my ranking as you requested and again, the ONLY person I feel that COULD HAVE overtaken Melo is Rose...and I just don't feel that his game has weakened at all this season for it to drop on its own.

So, Melo staying the same and Rose improving enough to enter the top 10...that is only one person. So, where does everyone else go? Those other guys (Love, Westbrook, Aldridge, etc) are still not close to the top 10 to make Melo slide down more and Melo has not done anything to make him slide down on his own...so the only argument is Rose.

Just saying.

You see the problem with the whole ranking thing is that it will vary with each individual.

I personally am of the opinion that Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Pau Gasol (the 3 players who according to your lists are ranked lower than Melo) have been better than Carmelo this season.

Everyone's perception is different but I value a player who is able to bring more than just scoring to the table. Yes Melo is great scorer, a decent rebounder and is arguably the most offensively clutch player in the game today but is that enough to put him ahead some of the most versatile players on both sides of the ball in the NBA?

Those players you put behind Melo brings a lot more to the table than Melo does.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Trinidad, stats are like women- They're nice to look at, but they don't tell the whole story. Nice try though.

Yeah but when having a discussion on a board where every poster has a different opinion and varying viewpoints what is the one thing that is constant?

Those very same stats. I don't base my argument on just stats but its not a bad thing to throw out there. They are facts after all.

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 01:20 AM
my top 10?

Well, I know from my point of view (and trying to be as objective as possible),

I've considered Lebron, Kobe, Wade, and Dwight the top 4.

After that you have Durant, though he's regressed a little bit (point in blank, Melo hasn't). Dirk, untill he starts showing his age, is in the top 7.

So, my top 10 would shape up something like this

1 - Lebron
2 - Kobe
3 - Wade
4 - Dwight (though he might move up since Wade/Lebron playing together)
5 - Durant
6 - Dirk
7 - Rose
8 - Melo
9 - CP3 (though might drop because of injuries)
10 - Pau
11 - Deron

or something like that. I just don't see him falling behind past #11, so to me, he's in the #7 to 11 range...which would put him in the first category of top 10.

I would maybe change a few people on your list...but i have no problem with it...

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Pau has not been as good this year as previous years. But I still rank him as #10/11.

I am sorry but I forgot to address this earlier.

What do you mean that Pau isn't as good as previous years?

This has be arguably his best full season in LA.

IMO he is every bit as good as he ever was.

championships
03-30-2011, 01:32 AM
For my two cents, Top 15

jimm120
03-30-2011, 01:41 AM
You see the problem with the whole ranking thing is that it will vary with each individual.

I personally am of the opinion that Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Pau Gasol (the 3 players who according to your lists are ranked lower than Melo) have been better than Carmelo this season.

Everyone's perception is different but I value a player who is able to bring more than just scoring to the table. Yes Melo is great scorer, a decent rebounder and is arguably the most offensively clutch player in the game today but is that enough to put him ahead some of the most versatile players on both sides of the ball in the NBA?

Those players you put behind Melo brings a lot more to the table than Melo does.

That part is cool with me. I understand that one perfectly. But the other "opinions" about people like Aldridge, Amare, Westbrook, Love, etc overtaking Melo was just so far out there that I was like whoa! I was perplexed.

This opinion you gave now that is in bold is much more reasonable and would put him at #11.

Like I mentioned in another post, I could see Melo dropping because someone overtook him, but his play and stats this season have not shown that he would drop because of something HE did.

And the only person good enough to get close to where Melo was ranked would be Rose and Amare...and Amare definitely not because he only had 2 mvp level months, while Rose has steadily increased as the year has gone on.

So these top 25 (barely) and top 30+ rankings just seem weird.

I'd understand if the question was something akin to

"who is your favorite"
or
"who would you start your franchise with"

because those questions are much more personal. But this question is about objectivity.

its like asking "what are your favorite moviies" and "which movies do you consider are the top ones".

I'd say movies like Fallen are my favorite, but top movies? I'd agree that Gone with the wind and hell, even Titanic were some of the best even if they weren't to my liking.

smiddy012
03-30-2011, 01:48 AM
He's not any better than 9th, and arguably isn't top 10...

Nice to see Rose in a lot of top 10s... in the off-season I was crazy for ranking him above Bosh :p

And Bosh is not top 15 anymore lol

abe_froman
03-30-2011, 01:53 AM
3rd or 4th best sf and somewhere in the top 10-25 range

marvILLous
03-30-2011, 01:54 AM
top 15

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Could be Top 15 at best

Phenomenonsense
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Top 10-15. I've never been impressed with him myself though.

THE MTL
03-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Carmelo Anthony is Top 10 easy!

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Durant
4. Wade
5. Howard
6. Paul
7. Dirk
8. Rose
9. Williams
10. Anthony

ee
03-30-2011, 02:08 AM

none of the players care with what we post here, but it keeps this forum going.....why are you here? to talk about dinosaurs?:rolleyes:

Bulls_fan90
03-30-2011, 02:12 AM
LOL Bosh is not a top 15 player. Melo is though.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:17 AM
LOL Bosh is not a top 15 player. Melo is though.

Bosh is better than Melo.

Bulls_fan90
03-30-2011, 02:21 AM

Bosh is not better than Melo. It's not even close.

What?
03-30-2011, 02:34 AM
borderline top 15

What?
03-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Carmelo Anthony is Top 10 easy!

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Durant
4. Wade
5. Howard
6. Paul
7. Dirk
8. Rose
9. Williams
Nowitski
Amare
Westbrook

10. Anthony
at least

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Bosh is not better than Melo. It's not even close.

At least Bosh was his teams best player when he was in the raptors same cant be said about Meloman.

JCSchwa
03-30-2011, 02:58 AM
At least Bosh was his teams best player when he was in the raptors same cant be said about Meloman.

are you saying melo wasnt the best player on nuggets ? because he obviously was...

or that he currently isnt? and if so i dont understand your analogy...

Bulls_fan90
03-30-2011, 03:02 AM

I don't usually do this, but you earned it :facepalm:

SeoulBeatz
03-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Top 10 overall, top 3 scorer though.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 03:16 AM
are you saying melo wasnt the best player on nuggets ? because he obviously was...

or that he currently isnt? and if so i dont understand your analogy...

I don't usually do this, but you earned it :facepalm:

1.Nene
2.Billups
3.Melo

Based on win shares, and nothing to facepalm here, bosh was clearly raps best player and by a wide margin.

Bruno
03-30-2011, 04:14 AM
10-13.

bmd1101
03-30-2011, 04:35 AM
He's an ISO one trick pony, although he's quite good at his one trick. Top15ish

gsgs49
03-30-2011, 04:48 AM
1.Nene
2.Billups
3.Melo

Based on win shares, and nothing to facepalm here, bosh was clearly raps best player and by a wide margin.

:laugh2: and do you think Kobe Bryant is the third best player on your lakers?Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom have better WS/48 than him

gsgs49
03-30-2011, 04:53 AM
10-13.

This

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 04:54 AM
:laugh2: and do you think Kobe Bryant is the third best player on your lakers?Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom have better WS/48 than him

Well could be:laugh2: as of now

but before march Kobe was over.200 in WS/48 and was second best after Pau.

But he has been on a terrible slump in March counting out the last 3 games.
Injuries got him.

ellesmeire
03-30-2011, 04:58 AM
just a question for the newcomer...when do you guys do the top 10 voting in the offseason around? im ugessing after the finals...

but a bit back on topic...hes easily top 15, given his domination on offense, and really if this is over the whole yr hes fringe 15, because a lot of these guys making jumps having only done it one yr, I would still have carmelo as one of the 10 players i'd start a team with

UKblazers
03-30-2011, 05:07 AM
Number 1 scorer
10 to 15 range overall,he hasn't got worse the talent in the league has gotten better.

Cano4prez
03-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Number 1 scorer
10 to 15 range overall,he hasn't got worse the talent in the league has gotten better.

This is why I have him in the top 15, no defense and all he does is score and LeBron and Durant are better scoters and it's not debatable

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Number 1 scorer

thats laughable

KnicksorBust
03-30-2011, 07:23 AM
My Top 10 would look something like:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwyane Wade
4. LeBron James
5. Kevin Durant
6. Chris Paul
7. Derrick Rose
8. Dirk Nowitzki
9. Deron Williams
10. Pau Gasol

I'd say at that point I'd have trouble convincing myself that anyone left is clearly better than Carmelo Anthony. I put him Top 15.

UKblazers
03-30-2011, 07:46 AM
thats laughable

Regardless of statistics if you were doing a scouting report he has the most complete scoring skillset; triple threat,low post,gets to the line,hits the three,mid range game,off the dribble pull ups,finishes at the rim... nobody else has that many ways to score,its laughable if you can't see that.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Regardless of statistics if you were doing a scouting report he has the most complete scoring skillset; triple threat,low post,gets to the line,hits the three,mid range game,off the dribble pull ups,finishes at the rim... nobody else has that many ways to score,its laughable if you can't see that.

LeBron James is the best scorer in the league, 2nd is Kobe or K-Mart.

Look at Melo's offensive rating, its atrocius.
Wade, Kobe, Durant, Lebron, martin, and bunch of other guys are better scorers than him.

nobody else has that many ways to score

yes he has all that qualities, but with low FG% and with low offensive rating.

goose15
03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
top 8

its easy to rank Melo against other wing players.. Lebron, Wade, Durant, Kobe, etc..

but how do you rank him against PGs??????????????????????

(its like ranking DEs vs. WRs)

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I choose the top 15 option, though I have him around #11-14.

uprightciti
03-30-2011, 08:50 AM
he is def #5

1. Rose
2. Lebron
3. Durant
4. Howard
5. Melo
6. Wade
7. Dirk
8. Amare
9. Kobe
10. Duncan

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
I can think of 30 guys I'd rather have. I look at it this way, he commands and wants a max-contract, but he is NOT in the company of LBJ, Kobe, Howard, Gasol, Wade, and a few of the others who are worth that kind of money.

Secondly: He demands the ball to be effective. And if a guy is going to demand the ball to be effective, I want to see deep playoff runs. Melo has had one, and everybody and their dog knows that was Billups who was the engine of that push in the post season. If i'm gonna give more plays to one guy than any other on my team, I would rather that player be James, or Wade, or Ray Allen or Paul Pierce in their prime for that matter. I mean, look at Dwight Howard, dude takes about 13 shots a game and give his boys 23 points. Meloe take about 20 shots, 7 more a game, and gives his boys 25 points. Seven more shots for 2 more points? Is this the guy i want to be running my offence through? Lebron and Wade both shoot less and score as much or more, PLUS they actually get these things called assists. Its pretty cool.

So regardless of the fact that he may be a better talent, and may score more than a guy like Shane Battier, I'd still rather have Shane Battier, because he's going to cost a lot less, and give me way more for my money, and he will play into the team and doesnt need to dominat the ball to play well. I'd rather have a few role players like that and an Igudala plus a Billups, than Carmelo anthony sucking up all my team's salary cap and possession on the floor.

Hey, seriously, Mike James scored 20 a night with 15 shots a game. You give him 20 shots, I'm sure he would be out-scoring Melo. Melo is great at what he does, but lets face it, this is the NBA! You give 85% of the guys out there 20 shots a night, they are going to get you 25 points.

Melo is a great talent, but he's just not great enough in my book to warrant as much of an investment as any team has to make to him.

Indi23
03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
No matter what haters say, he is a top 8 player and still one of the hardest one on one players to match up with due to his size and will to score.

WrongIslander
03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Over a season top 15, over 40? Top 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6eqP_y9kw

jtsunami
03-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Amare is a 15-20
Melo is a 25-30
Billups is a 45-50

This.

No way you can convince me he is a top 10 player. I personally don't think he's top 15. This isn't against the Knicks because I think Amare is easily top 15. You have a good core of Fields, Melo, Amare, and Billups. You just need more pieces and a new coach.

In no particular order I have:

Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Pierce
KG
Rose
Durant
Westbrook
Dwight
Kobe
Pau
CP3
Deron
Love
Dirk
Amare
Blake Griffin
Horford
Manu
Aldridge

That's 20 players right there that I would say have a good case over Melo. For the people who think this is crazy, Melo is a top 10 talent. But he is nowhere near a top 10 player. There's a difference. All the players above have more of an impact on their team winning and producing value than Melo.

Hitman21
03-30-2011, 09:10 AM

This

chitown815
03-30-2011, 09:13 AM
he is def #5

1. Rose
2. Lebron
3. Durant
4. Howard
5. Melo
6. Wade
7. Dirk
8. Amare
9. Kobe
10. Duncan

you really need to move Lebron to 1 and Dwight to 2 those are not debatable

but it is way too early to adjust Melo he needs time to fit into this system, that said 8 is way too high for AMARE

Sadds The Gr8
03-30-2011, 09:20 AM
he's so overrated

basketfan4life
03-30-2011, 09:22 AM
you really need to move Lebron to 1 and Dwight to 2 those are not debatable

but it is way too early to adjust Melo he needs time to fit into this system, that said 8 is way too high for AMARE

Do you have anything to say about Kobe being number 9 or, is it the one thing you don't find ridiculous about that post. oh my.

Niro
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
i am still stunned how īpeople voted kobe over lebron.. oh my

i say melo is 8-12

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
he is def #5

1. Rose
2. Lebron
3. Durant
4. Howard
5. Melo
6. Wade
7. Dirk
8. Amare
9. Kobe
10. Duncan

wow just wow

pure homerism, how you can put Amare to top 10 when pau isnt ahead of him in your list.

Pau is 2nd in win shares, when amare is 29th even tough he is 9th in minutes played.

And Melo in TOP5 is just so wrong...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Amare is a 15-20
Melo is a 25-30
Billups is a 45-50

yeah Amare is better than Melo but melo is around top 20

farren.louis
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Carmelo is soft nd plays no defense i say top 20

Shammyguy3
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.
Even these players could have cases against Melo.
Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Lamarcus Aldridge, Stephen Curry.

Carmelo Anthony is an inefficient, ball-dominant player that doesn't distribute to other players (as evidenced by his ts%, efg%, ast/tov ratio, ast%, tov%, usg%, ORtg). All of a sudden, he can rebound. Props to him for that. However, he still doesn't play any defense & is only interested in playing when it comes down to the final 5 minutes of the game, and sometimes the last possession.

He's a top talent in the world, but at best the 20th or so player in this league.

chitown815
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Do you have anything to say about Kobe being number 9 or, is it the one thing you don't find ridiculous about that post. oh my.

i had a problem with more its just Lebron and Dwight are beyond 1 and 2 it has zero debate, yes if you have a top 5 without Kobe you should be in the NFL lockout thread, he has played amazing and surpassed my expectations of him, my top 5 are

Lebron
Dwight
and 3 way tie for 3rd with Kobe, Rose, Wade

as far as value this year though Rose, Kobe, and Dwight

I am a big Bulls homer but I would feel so much better about Rose gettin a CoMvp with Kobe those 2 guys have been so clutch especially since the All Star break

adidas2307
03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.
Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Lamarcus Aldridge, Stephen Curry.

Carmelo Anthony is an inefficient, ball-dominant player that doesn't distribute to other players (as evidenced by his ts%, efg%, ast/tov ratio, ast%, tov%, usg%, ORtg). All of a sudden, he can rebound. Props to him for that. However, he still doesn't play any defense & is only interested in playing when it comes down to the final 5 minutes of the game, and sometimes the last possession.

He's a top talent in the world, but at best the 20th or so player in this league.

Shammy is in the Melo debate. Honestly, it's all over. :laugh2:
I agree with everything you say.

Mc Uncle Cola
03-30-2011, 10:01 AM
LEBRON - best all around player hands down - sorry haters
KOBE - i love this guys but age is def catchin up a bit
DWIGHT - due to his D and rebounds plus points
WADE - seems like hes always hurt...Could he be the next Vince Carter w/ a ring
ROSE - great season really stepped up
DERON - next jason kidd with a shot..thats scary
MELO - awesome player needs to work on D
CP3 - i think that injury hurt him a bit
AMARE - animal ..hate his goggles though
DUNCAN/GASOL - age with duncan / gasol get it done both great

IM PROB FORGETTING SOMEONE SOMEWHERE...YOU TELL ME

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.

great post

magichatnumber9
03-30-2011, 10:14 AM
If he played defense he would be top 4

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.

everyone needs to focus on this last statement. There is no doubt Melo's talent level is off the charts. But he is simply an inefficient chucker when attempting to compare him to the truly elite players in the NBA

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 10:17 AM
great post

You are a good poster and I know you are smarter than that. That is a HORRIBLE post.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
You are a good poster and I know you are smarter than that. That is a HORRIBLE post.

Well the fact he stated are true.

I have always stated that Melo could crack TOP 15.
Just a little more defense and more passing and he would be in TOP10.

Edit:Boozer, Gay, Granger on his list are bad choices.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.

This is where you lost me.

I have defended all other in this thread but now its time to defend Melo.

You are seriously putting Rudy Gay, Danny Granger and Kevin Martin ahead of Carmelo Anthony?

While Martin does have him in the efficiency department and is certainly a more efficient scorer than him he has done NOTHING as a player to merit him being ahead of the most clutch player in the game. Martin does one thing GREAT and NOTHING else good. He is as one sided as a player gets.

I wont even waste my time discussing Rudy Gay because he is on a tier beneath Melo in all honesty. The only case I could honestly be seen being made for Granger is the fact that he's a better defensive player and NOTHING else. Even he is a more inefficient chucker than Melo.

Carmelo Anthony is a top 15 player stop with the nonsense.

In the dying seconds with the game on the line there is one man most sensible posters will want with the ball and that's Melo.

I am a HUGE Andre Iguodala fan and there is ZERO case that could be made for him being better than Carmelo Anthony, nor Curry nor Deng.

drama1386
03-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.

I agree with everything you've said. good post

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Well the fact he stated are true.

I have always stated that Melo could crack TOP 15.
Just a little more defense and more passing and he would be in TOP10.

Edit:Boozer, Gay, Granger on his list are bad choices.

What facts the man said that a case could be made that Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng and Steph Curry are better players than Melo.

What has those players done as the number 1 option on their respective teams? NOTHING! Andre Iguodala is quite possibly the worst player in the clutch in the entire game and this is coming from a 76ers fan.

He made some horrible choices and is really being disrespectful to Melo.

He took the offensive efficiency thing too far bro. Steph Curry benefits from playing alongside Monta in GS's system.

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Why do you people have Amare over Melo??? All Amare does is score...and nothing else...he doesn't rebound or play D....Melo can score and doesnt play D, but at least he rebounds well for his position..

There aren't too many things worse than a big with Amare's talent that doesnt rebound or play D..rebounding and D is all effort..he doesn't give a dam about either one...

Are people pumping up Amare cause he had the Knicks at barely above .500 in the east before the trade???

swirl54
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Same level as Bosh

~Iggy~
03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Top 10.

01. LeBron James
02. Dwyane Wade
03. Kobe Bryant
04. Dwight Howard
05. Chris Paul
06. Kevin Durant
07. Dirk Nowitzki
08. Carmelo Anthony
09. Derrick Rose
10. Deron Williams

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
And come on man some people in here are getting a little carried away...I understand that some people overrate him by having him top 5, but not having him in the top 20 is just as ridiculous....the guy has been all nba virtually every season..and people are ranking guys like effn Boozer, Granger, and Pierce ahead of him :laugh2:...come on now..Those are good players, but none of those guys can be #1 options on a contender...Granger is a #1 and can even get his team over .500

oak2455
03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
1.Nene
2.Billups
3.Melo

Sorry after this you shouldn't really comment sorry man but thats way off base:facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
What facts the man said that a case could be made that Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng and Steph Curry are better players than Melo.

What has those players done as the number 1 option on their respective teams? NOTHING! Andre Iguodala is quite possibly the worst player in the clutch in the entire game and this is coming from a 76ers fan.

He made some horrible choices and is really being disrespectful to Melo.

He took the offensive efficiency thing too far bro. Steph Curry benefits from playing alongside Monta in GS's system.

Well yeah I wasnt really looking what he said about AI , Luol, Steph and LA etc.
His list of 20 guys ahead of Melo wasnt that bad only few wrong names out there.

oak2455
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Same level as Bosh

This is commical:clap::clap:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Sorry after this you shouldn't really comment sorry man but thats way off base:facepalm:

Well if you care about scoring only then hell yeah Melo was the best player on the nuggets, but when we take defense into the consideration then he was far off by their best player.

Swashcuff
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Why do you people have Amare over Melo??? All Amare does is score...and nothing else...he doesn't rebound or play D....Melo can score and doesnt play D, but at least he rebounds well for his position..

There aren't too many things worse than a big with Amare's talent that doesnt rebound or play D..rebounding and D is all effort..he doesn't give a dam about either one...

Are people pumping up Amare cause he had the Knicks at barely above .500 in the east before the trade???

Stop!

Amar'e is an average rebounder for his position. Not up there among the elites but he is an average rebounder among starters.

He is a HORRIBLE defender but he does indeed play defense. Marcus Camby was a horrible rebounder but a tremendous shot blocker and he one DPOY on a run and gun team because of it. The player you just described there was Dirk Nowitzki.

Because of the fact Amar'e gambles so much on blocks his rebounding numbers will take a slight hit. Again he is not good on defense not in the very least but at least he plays some sort of D unlike my buddy Kevin Love or Zach Randolph.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
This is commical:clap::clap:

Why is it comical, when Bosh has more win shares?

chitown815
03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Top 10.

01. LeBron James
02. Dwyane Wade
03. Kobe Bryant
04. Dwight Howard
05. Chris Paul
06. Kevin Durant
07. Dirk Nowitzki
08. Carmelo Anthony
09. Derrick Rose
10. Deron Williams

You know how dumb you make yourself putting Melo over Dros at this point?

~Iggy~
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
You know how dumb you make yourself putting Melo over Dros at this point?

There's more to life than one season.

BklynKnicks3
03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
top 4

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
He's top 10 offensively, bottom 50 defensively. Overall, I'd say he's in the top 25 or so. I definitely would not say he's a superstar due to his lack of an overall game.

gsgs49
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Pau Gasol

Manu Ginobili
Paul Pierce
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Kevin Love

Carlos Boozer
Amare Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Danny Granger
Rudy Gay
Chris Bosh

That's 20.

Nice post overall the top 10 list is great I would put cp3 at 5 anything else is perfect but it was terrible from 11 to 20 it should be something like:
Amare
Westbrook
Melo
Love
Nash
Aldrige
Horford
Garnett
Pierce
Duncan

chitown815
There's more to life than one season.

and Rose is 22 what makes you think, Melo is better right now?

BklynKnicks3
any1 who think amare is better then melo should be drug tested

Jetsguy
03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I hate the NBA forum so much

Mcdoh
top 15

Punk
:laugh: He's in the same league as Bosh. Wow. I guess Granger and Gay are better than him too right?

If a guy joins a team, takes a lottery team to the playoffs. Makes them a 50 win team. Makes the players like Nene and Chris Anderson look good. HE IS A TOP 10 SUPERSTAR PLAYER.

You all think Nene would lead the NBA in FG percentage if Melo didn't command double teams? REALLY?

oak2455
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Why is it comical, when Bosh has more win shares?

Really Bosh is a waste of space even some Heat fans regret getting him....so you can take your comical stats and go:p

~Iggy~
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
and Rose is 22 what makes you think, Melo is better right now?

Rose being 22 and this good is of course good for his future, but I didn't bring my tarot cards so I can't say how good his future will be. So far my personal opinion is that Anthony is slightly better. You should be happy Rose is even in a Top 10 at his age. And yeah, take a chill pill.

NYYCowboys
03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
25-30

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16789092#post16789092

:facepalm:

Punk
03-30-2011, 11:05 AM
So, we should forget what Melo has done over his 7/8 year career because Rose is having a career season?

Might as well forget about Tim Duncan because Kevin Love is putting up better numbers and he's only in his early 20s.

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Melo passing ability is underrated He shows good passing since playing with the knicks. By nest season i think melo will show he's still a top 10 talent.

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 11:07 AM

LOL what a failure

-Kobe24-TJ19-
:laugh: He's in the same league as Bosh. Wow. I guess Granger and Gay are better than him too right?

If a guy joins a team, takes a lottery team to the playoffs. Makes them a 50 win team. Makes the players like Nene and Chris Anderson look good. HE IS A TOP 10 SUPERSTAR PLAYER.

You all think Nene would lead the NBA in FG percentage if Melo didn't command double teams? REALLY?

Andre Miller and Marcus Camby were the main guys on that team.
Melo was probably their 3rd best player at best.

the Nuggets 17-65 team a year back was bunch of horrible role players.

oak2455

DoMeFavors
General Manager
I know that im talking in the future.
I really think Melo can be an MVP. The guy is a winner who won an NCAA title. The guy can be a Jordan type because he can score.

He must have amnesia :facepalm::facepalm:

jp611
top 15-20, no higher, he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA, biggest ball hog, and terrible attitude

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Stop!

Amar'e is an average rebounder for his position. Not up there among the elites but he is an average rebounder among starters.

He is a HORRIBLE defender but he does indeed play defense. Marcus Camby was a horrible rebounder but a tremendous shot blocker and he one DPOY on a run and gun team because of it. The player you just described there was Dirk Nowitzki.

Because of the fact Amar'e gambles so much on blocks his rebounding numbers will take a slight hit. Again he is not good on defense not in the very least but at least he plays some sort of D unlike my buddy Kevin Love or Zach Randolph.

Amare plays around 38 mins a game and he barely gets 8 rebs a game...and it's not like he's playing with a legit C..At least Dirk plays along Chandler...8 rebs is not average for a starting big playing 38 mins who doesn't play with any other real rebounding for big man majority of his mins

Amare is a trash defender period...sure he will block shots..but not enough to make up for the times he gives up points for being lazy...It's not different than my boy AI being a trash defender at the end of his career even though he got steals..

And hell I'd take a guy like Love or Zach who doesn't even block shots..but at least if there is a miss I can count on them to board more times than not.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Really Bosh is a waste of space even some Heat fans regret getting him....so you can take your comical stats and go:p

you're basing your opinion on Bosh on some of the heat fans.

Nice analysis:rolleyes:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Rose being 22 and this good is of course good for his future, but I didn't bring my tarot cards so I can't say how good his future will be. So far my personal opinion is that Anthony is slightly better. You should be happy Rose is even in a Top 10 at his age. And yeah, take a chill pill.

Rose is leading his team to 1st seed in EC.
How can Melo be better:confused:

Punk
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Andre Miller and Marcus Camby were the main guys on that team.
Melo was probably their 3rd best player at best.

the Nuggets 17-65 team a year back was bunch of horrible role players.

Yeah and they are the main guys in Portland. I bet they are better than Aldridge too right? :facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:11 AM
So, we should forget what Melo has done over his 7/8 year career because Rose is having a career season?

Might as well forget about Tim Duncan because Kevin Love is putting up better numbers and he's only in his early 20s.

Hey we are talking about current season:)

oak2455
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
you're basing your opinion on Bosh on some of the heat fans.

Nice analysis:rolleyes:

Bosh is better than Melo....come on man :confused:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah and they are the main guys in Portland. I bet they are better than Aldridge too right? :facepalm:

Nope, Alridge is clearly their MVP this season.

oak2455
03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
This is too funny Melo is a Knick and he sucks:rolleyes:.....he's a Nugget and he's the Greatest:confused:

Punk
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey we are talking about current season:)

Okay, so that means Rose is better than Kobe too huh? That's the ridiculous logic your using here.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Bosh is better than Melo....come on man :confused:

He's playing the 3rd fiddle now, people get confused over that, even tough he was carrying a trashy raptors team almost to the playoffs last year.

justinnum1
03-30-2011, 11:17 AM

No he isn't

Melo is top 10, closer to 11.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Okay, so that means Rose is better than Kobe too huh? That's the ridiculous logic your using here.

I wouldn't go to that far right now, but Rose is putting up amazing numbers and efficiently.

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
top 15-20, no higher, he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA, biggest ball hog, and terrible attitude

:laugh2:

Coming from a BULLS fan who have a point guard in Derrick Rose who attempt about 20 to 25 shots a game ,when all he really Deserve Is the MiP award .

Curious ,So What do y'all rate Kevin durrant who does the exact same thing as Melo top 5?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
LeBron
Wade
Dwight
Kobe
Rose
Melo

-Kobe24-TJ19-
No he isn't

Put Melo to the last year raptors and see can he take the team to the playoffs, if he can't win with Amare, how can he win with bargnani.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Coming from a BULLS fan who have a point guard in Derrick Rose who attempt about 20 to 25 shots a game ,when all he really Deserve the MiP award .

Curious ,So What do y'all rate Kevin durrant who does the exact same thing as Melo top 5?

He does it efficiently and plays defense.

sep11ie
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Alot of knicks haters man .its so clear check the statistic ahead :facepalm: sad

Check the win/lose column since you've got him.

He's 15-18.

NYYCowboys
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Put Melo to the last year raptors and see can he take the team to the playoffs, if he can't win with Amare, how can he win with bargnani.

It's been less than a 1/4th of a season that he's been with Amare. How can you already judge that he can't win with Amare? Are you familiar with the term "sample size"?

oak2455
03-30-2011, 11:23 AM
No he isn't

wow and this from a Heat fan:eyebrow: :clap::clap:I just don't understand the funny comments:facepalm:

saintdrew
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
The leading votes are going to 'Top 15' right now... As where it should be, because that ranking is completely appropriate for Melo.

Here's the better question:

Who do you rank higher?

A healthy Danny Granger or Carmelo Anthony?

I would take Granger.

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Coming from a BULLS fan who have a point guard in Derrick Rose who attempt about 20 to 25 shots a game ,when all he really Deserve Is the MiP award .

Kevin Durant is top 5-top 10... much more efficient and more win shares than melo... who is currently 37th in the NBA in win shares

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:26 AM

He's 15-18.

knicks are 8-12 since melo trade

oak2455
03-30-2011, 11:26 AM

He's 15-18.

has nothing to do with a depleted roster that was traded away....maybe new guys need to gel together...makes too much sense:confused:

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
knicks are 8-12 since melo trade

i think he meant melo is top 15-18

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
i think he meant melo is top 15-18

my bad lol

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
has nothing to do with a depleted roster that was traded away....maybe new guys need to gel together...makes too much sense:confused:

how about those new guys that have gelled together just fine in denver?

Punk
03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
The leading votes are going to 'Top 15' right now... As where it should be, because that ranking is completely appropriate for Melo.

Here's the better question:

Who do you rank higher?

A healthy Danny Granger or Carmelo Anthony?

I would take Granger.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Role players? That were overrated according to PSD?

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
allSUAVE doesnt use advanced stats, he just looks at per game stats and decides that melo and durant are pretty much the same player, when in reality durant is a much better player efficiency wise and defensively, i mean melo is 37th in the league in win shares, if you're top 5-10 you should be much higher than that. another thing is that durant plays defense effectively, while melo doesnt try on the defensive end at all. and the big thing between durant and melo is their attitudes, melo is ME ME ME, while durant is more humble and willing to share the load with westbrook and his other teammates, he also doesnt have to chuck up 30 shots in order to score 30

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Kevin Durant is top 5-top 10... much more efficient and more win shares than melo... who is currently 37th in the NBA in win shares

Durrant over Melo wow,

Melo scores is so much different ways than him it's not even funny.

Durrant would tell you himself Carmelo is better, Melo his is Fav player

If he get his defense straight you talking about the best player in basketball- Chancey Billups !

And his Defense is so underrated he plays defense ,he just take possessions off.

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Role players? That were overrated according to PSD?

so its easier for role players to gel, than it is for just 2 so-called stars? that doesnt make sense

pebloemer
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM

This Poll will show just how much Knick haters they have on PSD

I didn't have Melo Top 10 in a Nuggets uniform and I still don't have him Top 10 now. Knicks isn't the common denominator here. If anything I'm a Melo hater.

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 11:35 AM

Role players adjust faster than stars.

sep11ie
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM

Zing!

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Durrant over Melo wow,

If he get his defense straight you talking about the best player in basketball- Chancey Billups !

And his Defense is so underrated he plays defense ,he just take possessions off.

see my above post... please refer to statistics if you are going to debate with me, we have been in these debates in the past and you have never referred to any stats to state your point

Khalifa21
03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Dwight Howard
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Chris Paul
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Kevin Durant
8. Carmelo Anthony
9. Pau Gasol
10. Amar'e Stoudemire
11. Deron Williams
12. Derrick Rose
13. Blake Griffin
14. Russell Westbrook
15. Paul Pierce

What I don't get is how some people can call Melo an inefficient chucker when his FG%, 3PT% and TS% are all superior to the leading MVP candidate in the league, Derrick Rose?

Melo's the most complete offensive player in the game, he's a premier wing scorer in the league so he scores the basketball.. He shouldn't be criticized for chucking when his role on the team is to put up points, and although he may not be as efficient . Rose is the playmaker of his team and he "chucks" more than Melo, yet he isn't discredited for it? Hmmmm, double standards?

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I didn't have Melo Top 10 in a Nuggets uniform and I still don't have him Top 10 now. Knicks isn't the common denominator here. If anything I'm a Melo hater.

yea, exactly, i never had melo in my top 10... i actually never wanted the bulls to trade for melo and when there was discussions i was one of the many bulls fans pissed because not in a million years would i trade noah, deng, other pieces, and draft picks for such an overrated player

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Durrant over Melo wow,

What I just read:confused:

aceindahole212
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
DoMeFavors

25-30

Name 25 players that are better then Melo... You are such a Knick hater its insane...

Slimsim
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Dwight Howard
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Chris Paul
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Kevin Durant
8. Carmelo Anthony
9. Pau Gasol
10. Amar'e Stoudemire
11. Deron Williams
12. Derrick Rose
13. Blake Griffin
14. Russell Westbrook
15. Paul Pierce

What I don't get is how some people can call Melo an inefficient chucker when his FG%, 3PT% and TS% are all superior to the leading MVP candidate in the league, Derrick Rose?

Melo's the most complete offensive player in the game, he's a premier wing scorer in the league so he scores the basketball.. He shouldn't be criticized for chucking when his role on the team is to put up points, and although he may not be as efficient . Rose is the playmaker of his team and he "chucks" more than Melo, yet he isn't discredited for it? Hmmmm, double standards?

Because melo plays for the Knicks that's why. And the bulls have a better record.

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:42 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Dwight Howard
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Chris Paul
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Kevin Durant
8. Carmelo Anthony
9. Pau Gasol
10. Amar'e Stoudemire
11. Deron Williams
12. Derrick Rose
13. Blake Griffin
14. Russell Westbrook
15. Paul Pierce

Rose also isnt a ball hog, he has a great attitude, plays defense, and I wouldnt really say Rose chucks, sure Rose has his flaws efficiency-wise, but he still distributes the ball very well and gets his teammates involved, he is the only player in the league in top 10 in scoring and assists, and he has a AST% of 40.1... so yea, hes better than melo

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Is that a proven fact?

Punk
03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
so its easier for role players to gel, than it is for just 2 so-called stars? that doesnt make sense

Oh really? You didn't learn anything from Miami?

allSUAVE
allSUAVE doesnt use advanced stats, he just looks at per game stats and decides that melo and durant are pretty much the same player, when in reality durant is a much better player efficiency wise and defensively, i mean melo is 37th in the league in win shares, if you're top 5-10 you should be much higher than that. another thing is that durant plays defense effectively, while melo doesnt try on the defensive end at all. and the big thing between durant and melo is their attitudes, melo is ME ME ME, while durant is more humble and willing to share the load with westbrook and his other teammates, he also doesnt have to chuck up 30 shots in order to score 30

Who attempt more shots Durrant Or Melo?

In a Few years people going to realize how overrated D rose is!

For a point guard and the so call best point at that ,dude attempt more shots than 3 of his teammates combine.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
1. LeBron James
2. Dwyane Wade
3. Dwight Howard
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Chris Paul
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Kevin Durant
8. Carmelo Anthony
9. Pau Gasol
10. Amar'e Stoudemire
11. Deron Williams
12. Derrick Rose
13. Blake Griffin
14. Russell Westbrook
15. Paul Pierce

have you heard abot win shares?

The guy whos right behind Melo on your list is 2nd in the league on those while melo is somewhere before 40th.

GodsSon
03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
11-13. Though that is probably generous.

This.

I've said it so many times before, the guy is nothing more than a more hyped, slightly better scoring version of Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson.

Slimsim
Is that a proven fact?

In this case denver plays the same up and down systems as the Knicks. Not hard for gallo wil and felton to adjust.

Unlike NY melo stops the ball movement but that's because he a better iso player Which the knicks aren't use to

-Kobe24-TJ19-

For a point guard and the so call best point at that ,dude attempt more shots than 3 of his teammates combine.

melo 19.0
rose 19.4
durant 18.1

adjusted to 36 mpg

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh really? You didn't learn anything from Miami?

yea 9-8 is exactly like 8-12... you also forgot one thing that miami does great and NY does horribly and thats play great defense... nice try though

lol... what 3 teammates, boozer, noah and asik? yea the 2 guys who have missed like 60 games combined and a guy who is primarily a defender? what 3 guys? explain that to me.

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Win shares make me laugh ,so I'm guessing Robert Horry is top 10 all-time :laugh2:

Man you guys are a joke ,top8 before the Knicks ,top 15 now

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Win shares make me laugh ,so I'm guessing Robert Horry is top 10 all-time :laugh2:

What have win shares to do with Robert horry lmfao:laugh:

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
So my point guard is not a ball hog he attempts 25 shots a game

But ,My small Foward IS a ball hog he attempts 25 shots a game

:laugh2: PSD FOR YOU!!

GodsSon
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM

For the record, I've always said he was overrated. It becomes even more apparent when you look at how Denver has flourished since trading him.

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM

lol... do you even realize what win shares are? and like i said, i never had melo in my top 10, ever... was overrated with denver and is still overrated with NY

jp611
03-30-2011, 11:58 AM
So my point guard is not a ball hog he attempts 25 shots a game

But ,My small Foward IS a ball hog he attempts 25 shots a game

:laugh2: PSD FOR YOU!!

Care to show me those stats?

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Care to show me those stats?

Do I really have to ,ok lol

jp611
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Do I really have to ,ok lol

yea, i'd like for you to once back up one of your arguments with valid points and not just your opinion and wacky statements about what someones teammates said about that player

Double_R
03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I wish this poll would show you who voted for what, because I would like to know who voted him in with DH, Lebron, Wade. HAHAHA

psperry34116
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Id rather have Pierce on my team than Melo

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Id rather have Pierce on my team than Melo

I would too, he's really efficient this year

toovey107
03-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Pretty ironic actually.

Pierce, arguably the most underrated player in the game. Melo, the most overrated.

jp611
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I would definitely rather have Pierce on my team, and hes a good closer too, so you can't use the argument that Melo is so amazing at closing games

Punk
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
yea 9-8 is exactly like 8-12... you also forgot one thing that miami does great and NY does horribly and thats play great defense... nice try though

The Heat lost 5 straight games less than a month ago. Nice try by intentionally forgetting it.

Fact is superstars struggled with their teams this season. You can't argue that. D'antoni preached a style of play that has drastically changed and D'antoni also has ruined the team with his bad rotations.

It has nothing to do with Melo. He's done his part since the trade. He's rebounded, he's past the ball perfectly, he's defended. It's quite sad, everyone is acting like he's the problem. None of them haven't even watched a damn Knick game.

jp611
03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
The Heat lost 5 straight games less than a month ago. Nice try by intentionally forgetting it.

Fact is superstars struggled with their teams this season. You can't argue that. D'antoni preached a style of play that has drastically changed and D'antoni also has ruined the team with his bad rotations.

It has nothing to do with Melo. He's done his part since the trade. He's rebounded, he's past the ball perfectly, he's defended. It's quite sad, everyone is acting like he's the problem. None of them haven't even watched a damn Knick game.

They had a 5 game losing streak because they had a tough stretch of games and have clearly had trouble beating teams with winning records... not because they were trying to learn to play with each other... nice try again though

jtsunami
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM

:laugh: holy **** that **** is funny.

Pretty ironic actually.

Pierce, arguably the most underrated player in the game. Melo, the most overrated.

This.

And I hate the Celtics more than the Knicks. Lol at people making their case for Melo by discrediting Rose. Never gets old. There's at least 20 players I'd rather have on a team for this season than Melo. Easy.

Mile High Champ
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I rank him somewhere between 15 and 25 at this point.

smith&wesson
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
5-10

smith&wesson
03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
4 ppl actually voted top 50 ? why all the hate on melo i dont get it.

toovey107
03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
I rank him somewhere between 15 and 25 at this point.
Winner Winner.

lilojmayo
03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Top 10 player for regular season
Top 5 player when motivated

nycsports2
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
No doubt top 10 id prolly rank him 6 or 7

allSUAVE
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Top 10 player for regular season
Top 5 player when motivated

I believe this one.

jp611
03-30-2011, 01:01 PM
I believe this one.

Any stats to back it up?

Shammyguy3
03-30-2011, 01:02 PM
This is where you lost me.

I have defended all other in this thread but now its time to defend Melo.

You are seriously putting Rudy Gay, Danny Granger and Kevin Martin ahead of Carmelo Anthony?

While Martin does have him in the efficiency department and is certainly a more efficient scorer than him he has done NOTHING as a player to merit him being ahead of the most clutch player in the game. Martin does one thing GREAT and NOTHING else good. He is as one sided as a player gets.

I wont even waste my time discussing Rudy Gay because he is on a tier beneath Melo in all honesty. The only case I could honestly be seen being made for Granger is the fact that he's a better defensive player and NOTHING else. Even he is a more inefficient chucker than Melo.

Carmelo Anthony is a top 15 player stop with the nonsense.

In the dying seconds with the game on the line there is one man most sensible posters will want with the ball and that's Melo.

I am a HUGE Andre Iguodala fan and there is ZERO case that could be made for him being better than Carmelo Anthony, nor Curry nor Deng.

I said arguably... look for the stats yourself

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=grangda01&y1=2011&p2=gayru01&y2=2011&p3=anthoca01&y3=2011&p4=martike02&y4=2011

Stop!

marcus camby is a phenomenal rebounder... always has been: career trb% of 19.0%... that's god-like http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cambyma01.html

Pretty ironic actually.
This.

Shammyguy3
03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
anybody who has Melo in their top-10 is on drugs, and not the "doctor's orders" kind

pebloemer
03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
To those defending Carmelo, is it such an insult to Carmelo that some people feel players like Pierce, Westbrook, D.Will, Rose and Pau are better than him? I mean Carmelo is a phenomenal talent in his own right. This is a talented league. There is no shame in being a top 15 player.

chicago lulz
03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
holy lol at this last page and the deleted posts.

jp611
03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Exactly, theres nothing wrong with being top 15, he's still a tremendous talent, he just has lack of drive and is an awful defender. I love how Knicks fans get so mad when someone says he's outside of the top 10

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
nvm

Lake_Show2416
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Any stats to back it up?

who cares bout stats, they're overrated & based off of your teams system. most productivity doesn't show up on a stat sheet

boodathegreat
03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
carmelo is great in the clutch horrible on defense but overall psd got it rreight hes in the top ten

Baller1
03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
All of these players are better or in other words, I'd rather have on my team:

PG- Paul, Deron, Rose, Westbrook, Nash
SG- Kobe, Wade
SF- Durant, Lebron, Pierce
PF- Amare, Pau, Aldridge, Love, Dirk, Duncan
C- Dwight, Bynum

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
who cares bout stats, they're overrated & based off of your teams system. most productivity doesn't show up on a stat sheet

Statistics are not overrated.:sigh:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
All of these players are better or in other words, I'd rather have on my team:

PG- Paul, Deron, Rose, Westbrook, Nash
SG- Kobe
SF- Durant, Lebron, Pierce
PF- Amare, Pau, Aldridge, Love, Dirk, Duncan
C- Dwight, Bynum

What about Wade?

Baller1
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
What about Wade?

Just realized I left him out as you posted that, my bad.

Wade of course as well.

jp611
03-30-2011, 02:10 PM

I hope this is sarcasm

sargon21
03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd take Duncan and Bynum off of "baller"'s list, and that's it. That makes him top 15 exactly.

toovey107
03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
It's called taking stats in context.

Wow, posts in here never cease to amaze me.

Knickfansince97
03-30-2011, 02:21 PM
25-30

theheatles
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
i have him 9th so i voted top 15

toovey107
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Top 10 is so laughable it's not even funny. Top 15 is even a stretch, really.

I'd like to see someone actually argue how he is better than anyone I list-

Lebron
Kobe
Wade
Dwight
Durant
Paul
D Will
Dirk
Pierce
Rose

And I could keep going- the blind love affair with Melo is one of the most baffling outlooks I've ever come across.

oak2455
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
What do you guys do all day ??? You have ppl on this thread til 3am then back on at 9am...:facepalm: holyshit get a girlfriend or something...LOL:D

Cano4prez
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
This debate is still going on?

toovey107
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
What do you guys do all day ??? You have ppl on this thread til 3am then back on at 9am...:facepalm: holyshit get a girlfriend or something...LOL:D
Classic, get a gf post. Well done.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM

So when Melo isn't the greatest Player in NBA today you need to insult others??

very classy:rolleyes:

thekmp211
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
top 15...i think amare is still the best player on the knicks, but the coaching staff and media sure seem to disagree. there were rumors that his knees had been flaring up, i wonder if that's why he's taken a backseat. either way, i think new york needs to run more of it's offense through amar'e a la the beginning of the season.

carmelo is as talented as they come, but he's got a little vinsanity in him, if you catch my drift.

jp611
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM

I have a girlfriend :confused:

And even she knows Melo's the most overrated player in the NBA

theheatles
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM

haha nice

Kashmir13579
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
i'd put him 10-15. these poll options are very shallow in my opinion.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM

:laugh:

Baller1
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd take Duncan and Bynum off of "baller"'s list, and that's it. That makes him top 15 exactly.

I hate the Lakers more than anything else on this planet, but I think people to tend to overlook Bynum's impact when he's healthy (I know that's quite a rarity).

And if I'm going for a championship, there's not many players I'd rather have on my team than a healthy Duncan.

Kashmir13579
03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
top 5 talent
top 15 player

SteBO
03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Carmelo Anthony is too one-dimensional to even be considered a top 10 player in my opinion. He's a great scorer, decent rebounder, but he doesn't do much else consistently enough. Call me when he commits himself to the defensive end of the floor and passes better. He will be considered an elite player once that occurs. Otherwise, he's a top 15 player.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
top 15...i think amare is still the best player on the knicks, but the coaching staff and media sure seem to disagree. there were rumors that his knees had been flaring up, i wonder if that's why he's taken a backseat. either way, i think new york needs to run more of it's offense through amar'e a la the beginning of the season.

carmelo is as talented as they come, but he's got a little vinsanity in him, if you catch my drift.

I agree. Amare is better then Melo but for whatever reason, a lot of Knicks fans think Melo's better. Probably because Melo's got great points per game stats. Unfortunately, a lot of basketball fans are too stupid to realize that points per game is a pretty useless statistic unless you factor in pace and minutes.

Weezy
03-30-2011, 03:03 PM
yea top 15.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Also, I would like to point out that despite everyone's man love for Derrick Rose, his shooting efficiencies aren't that much better then Melo's:

Rose's career TS% is 53.0% and his TS% this year is 54.0%. His career eFG% is 48.5% while his eFG% this year is 47.8%.
Melo's career TS% is 54.5% and his TS% this year is 55.1%. His career eFG% is 47.8% while his eFG% this year is 47.8%.

Despite people's opinions (and by this I mean mostly Bulls homers), Rose is by and large just as inefficient of a shooter as Carmelo is. Yet for whatever reason, he doesn't get blasted for it as much as Melo. Now obviously, Rose is only in his 3rd season, so its more likely he's going to improve on those numbers but at the same time, he may not. No one knows for sure.

Melo is better at taking care of the ball and rebounds better but Rose is better defensively and the more willing/better passer. Ultimately, what may (and I say this because its based on 1 season) make Rose the better player is his defense but lets not make it out to be that he's the most efficient scorer when his efficiencies are around Melo's efficiencies.

Just thought I'd point this out with everyone more willing to fairly judge Melo but everyone sucking Rose as if he's the best thing since sliced bread.

NYK
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I agree. Amare is better then Melo but for whatever reason, a lot of Knicks fans think Melo's better. Probably because Melo's got great points per game stats. Unfortunately, a lot of basketball fans are too stupid to realize that points per game is a pretty useless statistic unless you factor in pace and minutes.

Amare averages more points then Melo and Amare and Melo both are poor on defense but when both are at the highest level Melo is the better player. Melo could play solid defense if he is committed he has the skills and does on occasion he just isint consistent on D. Melo is one of the best scorer's in the league. I love both but Melo>Amare

TO to the CHI
03-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Is being top 15 really that bad? If your rank anywhere between 1 and 15 it has to mean something right?

I really think this is a fair point. I view him as top-15 (no different than where I had him before the year, though some players have passed him and some have fallen below him). I view that as quite a compliment and think he is a stud and a great star for NY to build around, along with Amare. Why is it so insulting to be viewed as top-15 rather than top-8 or 9. It's really not all that different and the players in that range are guys like DWill, CP3, Gasol, Rose, etc., who are all great players.

Jewelz0376
03-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Carmelo Anthony is too one-dimensional to even be considered a top 10 player in my opinion. He's a great scorer, decent rebounder, but he doesn't do much else consistently enough. Call me when he commits himself to the defensive end of the floor and passes better. He will be considered an elite player once that occurs. Otherwise, he's a top 15 player.

dont expect a call anytime soon then :laugh2:

TO to the CHI
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Serious question: Where do you place Bosh? And would he be ahead or behind Melo?

PatsSoxKnicks
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Amare averages more points then Melo and Amare and Melo both are poor on defense but when both are at the highest level Melo is the better player. Melo could play solid defense if he is committed he has the skills and does on occasion he just isint consistent on D. Melo is one of the best scorer's in the league. I love both but Melo>Amare

Maybe when both are on their highest level, Melo may be better. But the problem is both are always not at their highest level. The way to judge a player isn't looking at when they are on their highest level, its when they are on their every day level. What do they consistently bring? Amare consistently brings more to the table.

BTW, Amare could play great defense too if he was committed. He's got a similar body type as KG, who's well known to be one of the best defensive players of all-time but of course, Amare doesn't always give full effort on defense. However, he is better defensively then Melo I think. This year, Amare is blocking quite a few shots which is at least something on defense. Melo often does nothing on defense. In conclusion, I would say of the two, while both are poor defenders, Amare is the better defensive player.

Simply put, look at cumulative stats such as win shares, and Amare is the better overall player. Melo's PER is higher this year but for their careers, Amare has the better career PER. And while Melo's PER is better this year, Amare's APER is better, which adjusts for assisted/unassisted FGs and charges. In addition, there are a couple more less popular but probably more relevant metrics such as WARP and VORP (based on Advanced SPM) where Amare is the better player. This is of course looking cumulatively, at the sum of each players total contributions to their team instead of just looking at one or two things here or there.

oak2455
03-30-2011, 03:30 PM
So when Melo isn't the greatest Player in NBA today you need to insult others??

very classy:rolleyes:

Says the guy with close to 10,000 post in less than 2 years:clap::clap: Righty or Lefty:confused: :p:p:p

oak2455
03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Classic, get a gf post. Well done.

At least someone finds the Humor:D

jp611
03-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Says the guy with close to 10,000 post in less than 2 years:clap::clap: Righty or Lefty:confused: :p:p:p

Solid contribution to the thread. You're also on PSD a lot it seems, so maybe you're the one without a girlfriend :shrug:

JAHRONMON
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
he is top 5

Kobe
Lebron
Dwyane
Durant
Carmelo

i mean chris paul is great but these 5 are better than him. Carmelo is the best offensive player. three ball, huge mid range game, post up, and he is a better rebounder on the offensive side of the court. He top 5 could be top 3 with kobe and lebron if he played d. but im not going to argue about it he is top 5.

saintdrew
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
This debate is still going on?

Unfortunately yes.

We're dealing with a bunch of dudes who are

A. Trying to prove to everyone they know more about the game of basketball than anyone else on this forum. (A common trend with young guys on here)

B. Some baiters who are lurking around to get into insignificant arguments. (Again, another trend on here)

I've seen few credible arguments on here today.

TO to the CHI
03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
he is top 5

Kobe
Lebron
Dwyane
Durant
Carmelo

i mean chris paul is great but these 5 are better than him. Carmelo is the best offensive player. three ball, huge mid range game, post up, and he is a better rebounder on the offensive side of the court. He top 5 could be top 3 with kobe and lebron if he played d. but im not going to argue about it he is top 5.

Dwight Howard?????