PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Spurs will hold off Lakers/Mavs for #1 seed?

Lakeshow86
03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
A few weeks ago when the Spurs had a 7-8 game lead for the #1 seed you would have thought it would be impossible to imagine they could lose that lead. Now the Lakers are only 3.5 games behind and Dallas is only a game behind the Lakers. The spurs are struggling without Duncan. They have a game thurday against the Celtics so it logically wise to assume that will be another loss for the Spurs without Duncan. They have a game with the Lakers at the end of the year that could be the deciding game for who get the number one spot. Ofcousre the Lakers also have a game against the Mavs on thursday.

That could be a deciding game as to weather or not the Mavs are out of the race because they would be 2 games behind Lakers who also would have the tiebreaker I believe.

I think what happens on Thurday will have a huge impact on who gets the 1-3seeds.

TboneM3
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
I would expect them to.

210Don
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
probably.... even though were trying to make it interesting.... and if we do lose it were ****ing done it would deflate this team.

buncha heartless *******

mjokc
03-29-2011, 01:47 PM
OKC wants that 3 seed, not gonna get it though cause dallas keeps pulling tricks out of their ***** late in 4th quarters.

bulls_world23
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes .

danniboi168
03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
yeah but its getting closeee

tr4shb0t
03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
"They'll" keep it interesting until the end of the season, but they will hold onto it. And by "they" I mean the league.

lamar2006
03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I think the Spurs are losing on purpose because clearly they dont want to face the Thunder in the 2nd round. If you think the Thunder gave the Lakers a run for their money last year dont be surprise if the Thunder run them out of their own arena. The Spurs are the oldest team in the league I believe. The Lakers are pretty old themselves but the Lakers have one thing the Spurs dont have a coach with 11 rings and Kobe The Mamba Bryant. Spurs are scare of the Thunder they would rather face Dallas in the 2nd round

210Don
03-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I think the Spurs are losing on purpose because clearly they dont want to face the Thunder in the 2nd round. If you think the Thunder gave the Lakers a run for their money last year dont be surprise if the Thunder run them out of their own arena. The Spurs are the oldest team in the league I believe. The Lakers are pretty old themselves but the Lakers have one thing the Spurs dont have a coach with 11 rings and Kobe The Mamba Bryant. Spurs are scare of the Thunder they would rather face Dallas in the 2nd round

they are not the oldest team in league and your post is incorrect & ignorant...
no team is scared of any team.

shep33
03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
they're still what 3 games up? But it is interesting, weren't they like 10 games up on the Lakers at the break? It would be a monumental collapse, but I think they still hold on.

They need to get healthy though, so its gonna be interesting seeing whether they push for it at the risk of injury.

Public Enemy #1
03-29-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't think anybody is afraid of anyone. Thunder are sooo overrated. Second round exit for sure. Yeah, they have two great players in Durant and Westbrook but they can't take down the Lakers/Spurs/Mavs. I think the Spurs can hold on to the #1 seed.

Storch
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
spurs will take the 1 seed, book it

Purple&Gold24
03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
If the spurs lose to the celtics, then is officially interesting. Kobe wins MVP :rolleyes:

Purple&Gold24
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
spurs will take the 1 seed, book it

im gunna save this just in case :laugh: lol

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
My Lakers will take it.

210Don
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM

because thats a crazy comment right? smh psd

210Don
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't think anybody is afraid of anyone. Thunder are sooo overrated. Second round exit for sure. Yeah, they have two great players in Durant and Westbrook but they can't take down the Lakers/Spurs/Mavs. I think the Spurs can hold on to the #1 seed.

i agree they are very overrated....

gsgs49
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM

I hadn't seen such an ignorant post in a while.

gsgs49
03-29-2011, 03:45 PM

This even the deep nuggets team has a good chance to beat them in a 7 games series

GoatMilk
03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
remember that McDyess tip in to win it vs the lakers?
if the lakers won that game, it's a 1.5 lead for the Spurs right now.

210Don
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM

2.5 half
and thats a if
if fisher doesnt hit .4 we have another chip see what i did there?
lol

nba.com isnt to far away visit it before you make comments

leftymo
03-29-2011, 04:07 PM

if my aunt had a package she'd be my uncle...

ifs don't mean squat.

The Spurs still have Boston at home on Thursday and a matchup with the Lakers. I personally prefer not to get the #1 seed, but I do want LA to finish ahead of Chicago & Boston.

Lakers can beat SA without HCA...

gsgs49
03-29-2011, 04:07 PM

I think somebody needs a math course here.

Storch
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM

because thats a crazy comment right? smh psd

The spurs are not going to tank before the finish line. There's a handful of veterans in that team. The Lakers are still 3.5 games away with only 9 games left. It's just not that likely of a scenario, and I wouldn't be surprised if both Pop and PJ shorten their starters' minutes towards the end. It's about the playoffs now and these two teams are playoff teams.

You can laugh at my post, I'm not a homer. I say it like how I see it is. The Spurs are not a joke of a team, they're legit.

Purple&Gold24
03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
The spurs are not going to tank before the finish line. There's a handful of veterans in that team. The Lakers are still 3.5 games away with only 9 games left. It's just not that likely of a scenario, and I wouldn't be surprised if both Pop and PJ shorten their starters' minutes towards the end. It's about the playoffs now and these two teams are playoff teams.

You can laugh at my post, I'm not a homer. I say it like how I see it is. The Spurs are not a joke of a team, they're legit.

Wasnt laughing in that sense, just saying I hope your wrong. I mean it seemed impossible when they were up like 8 games then it shorten to 5 games, then to 3.5 games. They play boston, then houston, and our team. They can possibly lose those three. And im thinking PHX takes one from them I believe they play them twice more. Nothing is impossible, we face whoever we face doesnt matter. In fact I think the lakers should face a tough out in the first round because last year we faced an 8th seeded thunder team that ended up becoming a wake up call for the lakers in which I believe helped them after that series. Instead facing New Orleans which would be just to easy for them. (no offense N.O's fans)

GoatMilk
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
2.5 half
and thats a if
if fisher doesnt hit .4 we have another chip see what i did there?
lol

nba.com isnt to far away visit it before you make comments
it's 1.5 games
i know it's an if. i was just pointing out how important these games are.
at the time everyone was like, whatever. lakers cant catch the spurs even if they won
now, it's suddenly kind of interesting, and if the lakers won it would be extremely interesting

championships
03-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Lakers are coming and the Spurs are hearing footsteps.

GoatMilk
03-29-2011, 04:28 PM

i hope you sign up

lakers would be 54-19
spurs would be 56-18

it's 1.5 games

using the example, lets say the spurs were to lose again, 56-19
and the lakers win again, 55-19. lakers would gain a game and the lead would be .5

but thats not the case because Dyess got the tip in

tbuk100
03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
That quote makes no sense. The Spurs swept the Thunder. Also, with the exception of Duncan, Ginobili, and McDyess, the rest of the team is 30 or under. Contrast that with the Lakers, who only have 1 player in their rotation under 30.

Prior to the injuries, the Spurs were 34-7 against the Western Conference. They're four time champions. They're not ducking anyone.

FuriousJatt
03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
i think the spurs have a tiebreaker over the lakers.
i think the spurs will finish with the best record. the lakers will finish the season with one more loss than them.

gsgs49
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
i hope you sign up

lakers would be 54-19
spurs would be 56-18

it's 1.5 games

using the example, lets say the spurs were to lose again, 56-19
and the lakers win again, 55-19. lakers would gain a game and the lead would be .5

but thats not the case because Dyess got the tip in

:hide: it's one game but it should be counted for both sides so that make it two pretty tricky there.You were right my man,my apologizes.

tdunk21
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
will be happy if spurs hang on to the 1st overall....but anything can happen.....

RaiderLakersA's
03-30-2011, 12:57 PM
It would be tragic if both the Lakers and the Mavs overtake the Spurs, dropping them to the 3 seed in the West.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2011, 01:08 PM

no, the Spurs aren't the oldest team in the league at all.

The Spurs also have a decent coach, forgot his name, and a guy named Duncan, one named Ginoboli, and one named Parker, all of whom have rings as well.

The Spurs will turn it on just enough to keep that #1 seed, and enter the playoffs healthy most likely.

Gibby23
03-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Yes you do.

iHoop
03-30-2011, 01:23 PM
It's going to be very interesting how it all turns out. As a homer pick I will say Spurs will keep the #1 ranking.

You can't knock the 2 time defending champs though. They are a very tough team and have everything they need to win again. I also think that the Thunder are alittle overrated even with Perk. Spurs match up very well against them.

cabernetluver
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
It is impossible to have been a fan of the Los Angeles Lakers longer than I (being 60, I was there when they came here), and as an original fan, as much as I would like to see my team finish first, but find it unlikely.

On the other hand, finishing ahead of all of the eastern teams and the Mavs seems a strong probability and that is more important to me.

rabueed
03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't count on it.

1. The Spurs would have to go 5-3 and we would have to go 9-0 the rest of the way. Possible, but even if, that would mean we split the series with them 2-2. Do we hold the tiebreaker? I don't think we do. Which would mean they would have to go 4-4 and us 9-0, I really doubt it.

2. Look at the spurs schedule:

vs Boston
@ Houston
vs Phoenix
@ Atlanta
vs Sacramento
vs Utah
@ Los Angeles (Lakers)
@ Pheonix

I can't see them losing 4 of the above games. Not likely. Plus, our schedule isn't exactly easy, I can't see us going 9-0.

with all that said, it's possible. The Lakers have a shot, no doubt. Likely? not really. I'd give it a 15% chance.

EDIT: so I just checked, and apparently, we do hold the tiebreaker if we split the series with the Spurs. That is, we hold it at the moment. we have a better division record than them. We have a 11-3 record, they have a 10-5 record. We have 2 division games left (sacramento and golden state). SO it's likely we will hold the tiebreaker. But still....

asomen
03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't know why this is even a topic that's considered relevant? I mean sure...home court advantage is cool and all. However, it only matters if the Spurs and Lakers match up in the Western Conference Finals.

As a Spurs fan, I'm looking at things round-by-round. Not going to be one of those people who look at match-ups 3 rounds into the playoffs and pretend I know what's going to happen.

Also, for those who say "well being the 2 seed means they'll face the Thunder 2nd round and no one wants that". That's an ignorant statement because in reality, if you think you're team is going to make it far in the playoffs...it shouldn't matter who you play. You're going to eventually run into a good team in the playoffs (whether it's the 1st,2nd,3rd, Finals). If you are the best team, you should be able to beat any team.

mjokc
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM

How is the thunder overrated? We are 13 - 1 in the last 14 games. Nobody is saying we are winning the championship. We are just saying that we have the match-ups to give any top team in the west problems and possibly win. If you want to see an overrated team see Chicago and Denver.