PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best Player on the Atlanta Hawks? Do they have one?

shep33
03-29-2011, 04:11 AM
I was sitting there watching a Hawks game recently and wondered to myself, who their best player is? Joe Johnson, or Josh Smith?... surprisingly I think it's Smith even though he is inconsistent, Johnson is having his worst year as a Hawk. So I guess a better question would be, if you had to pick one of them to keep and one to trade away which guy would it be? Let's not take contracts into account... for obvious reasons lol

Is it Al Horford? Sorry completely forgot to put that into the poll options... epic fail. But we don't really think of a guy who is like 15 and 10 as the best player on a team, even though he may well be... this is the problem with the Hawks, I think they lack an identity.

Secondary question... Is this the problem with the Hawks? In my opinion, I think Smith and Johnson would be unbelievable 2nd option guys to a superstar player. So are they both Pippen's (Scottie is better than both of them), but as in the definition of that sidekick?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-29-2011, 04:13 AM
Al Horford and its not even close.

TheSportingreen
03-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Josh Smith.

TheSportingreen
03-29-2011, 04:15 AM

I see what you did there.

shep33
03-29-2011, 04:16 AM

haha very clever... and it's 2 am, so I obviously forgot to put him in. I don't even know if Horford is the best player on the team though, it's weird... when I watch them, yeah he does his thing with 15 and 10 a game, but I mean we don't really think of him as the best player on his team.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
03-29-2011, 04:18 AM
horford is probally the most consistent player they have but no doubt its jj between him n smith i think smith would be a good option to a superstar maybe they should try to trade him n land a few solid piece's

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Horford has better PER and he has 4 win shares more than Josh Smith and 5.5 more than JJ.

I think its official.

sunsfan88
03-29-2011, 04:25 AM
Its Horford.

abe_froman
03-29-2011, 04:27 AM
al horford

DoJoTheSlasher
03-29-2011, 04:31 AM
3 scenarios:

1. Joe Johnson has been the Hawks franchise player for the past 5 years but he hasn't been as good this year.

2. Josh Smith is by far their most talented player and deserved to be an all star this year.

3. Al Horford has been their best player THIS year.

I am still going to go with Josh Smith.

shep33
03-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Honestly, I understand that Horford is playing really well this year, but does this year alone make him the best player on the Hawks?

TheSportingreen
03-29-2011, 04:36 AM
3 scenarios:

1. Joe Johnson has been the Hawks franchise player for the past 5 years but he hasn't been as good this year.

2. Josh Smith is by far their most talented player and deserved to be an all star this year.

Exactly.

shep33
03-29-2011, 04:40 AM
3 scenarios:

This is a good point, but it also supports my question about the Hawks. I mean when we look at the Lakers for instance... we say Kobe is the best player. Dallas we say Dirk is the best player, Phoenix with Nash and so forth.

But we can't come up with one for the Hawks really... I mean we can look at them, but who is the guy that is the franchise? It's almostlike they have 3 robins and no batman

abe_froman
03-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Honestly, I understand that Horford is playing really well this year, but does this year alone make him the best player on the Hawks?

this year and going forward(if he stays)i say so.he's better and more reliable than smith.he's younger than jj ,who was never that great to begin with.

your call about being 3 robins and no batman is true...and its why they are where they are currently and have been for the past 3 years,and will continue to be much the same going forward(jj's contract made sure of that)

shep33
03-29-2011, 04:46 AM
this year and going forward(if he stays)i say so.he's better and more reliable than smith.he's younger than jj ,who was never that great to begin with.

Yeah, I get that. Good point. But say Horford doesn't really improve beyond his numbers now, I mean last year his numbers were very similar to this year, improved this year, yes, but not dramatically. But I think by JJ having a bad year, it looks so much more impressive from our view. I dunno, I'm still a bit skeptical... I love Horford's game too, guy is awesome, but I'm not sure I myself can say he's the best player on the Hawks yet... but that's just me lol

Horford last year- 14.2 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 2.3 apg
Horford this year- 15.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 1.0 bpg, 3.6 apg

assists are really the most dramatic improvement by +1.3, and points up by 1.5 ppg, rebounds slightly lower

FG and FT% are almost identical

sunsfan88
03-29-2011, 04:55 AM
This is a good point, but it also supports my question about the Hawks. I mean when we look at the Lakers for instance... we say Kobe is the best player. Dallas we say Dirk is the best player, Phoenix with Nash and so forth.

But we can't come up with one for the Hawks really... I mean we can look at them, but who is the guy that is the franchise? It's almostlike they have 3 robins and no batman

Its supposed to be Joe Johnson. That's why you guys went out and made him the most overpaid player in the NBA.

shep33
03-29-2011, 05:01 AM
Its supposed to be Joe Johnson. That's why you guys went out and made him the most overpaid player in the NBA.

haha not a Hawks fan, actually a Lakers fan, but I get what your saying... I agree, it's suppose to be Johnson, but is he the guy? Maybe it's just cause he's having a bad year that I'm raising this question, say he rebounds next year and the argument again like in the past years becomes one sided, with JJ as the best Hawks player. But who knows? I think most of us had thought JJ was the best player for Atlanta, really since he got there and even up to last year... but we seem to be questioning that these days, which is the point I'm trying to make.

We can look at most franchises and right off the top of our head, we can name their franchise player (most teams), the Hawks are awkard in that as of this moment we struggle to really identify that guy, and this is a playoff team... a 5th seeded team mind you

Lim
03-29-2011, 10:26 AM
josh smith is a unique player. i think hes probably the only player in the league atm that could put up a quadruple double

ugafan
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
It's Al Horford. If Josh Smith wasn't an immature ***** it would probably be him. Joe Johnson is not the best player on the team.

The Jokemaker
03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Neither. It's Horford.

FutureGM
03-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Man I love Josh Smith and Al Horford. Both guys have been forced though to play out of position for so long now.

Could you imagine Horford had a defensive C next to him. Both Josh and Al could play their respective positions. With that said, I would probably say Horford is their best player. I'm not even sure if I think Joe Johnson is better than Josh Smith.

Heediot
03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Al Horford

danniboi168
03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Hortford and Smith

goose15
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
out of those 3, I like Horford's game the best..

Avenged
03-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Horford has better PER and he has 4 win shares more than Josh Smith and 5.5 more than JJ.

I think its official.

Not that I disagree but are those two stats really what determines who's better? Because Pau has lead Kobe in both PER and Win Shares in the past but I wouldn't necessarily call Gasol better.

Hustlenomics
03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
AnyOne that doesn't say Joe Johnson doesn't know basketball

John Walls Era
03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I really like the Hawks team as a whole. But they need a Pg

John Walls Era
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM

Funny thing is no one has

Gators123
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Al Horford

bulls_world23
03-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Al Horford thats why he got the max contact..

Oooohhhh wait they gave it to J.Johnson :facepalm:

shep33
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
haha well looking at the voting, there seems to be disagreement

AIRMAR72
03-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Management made a huge mistake paying Joe Johnson (modern day Allan Houston) all of that money dude(joe) had some good yrs playing with NASH but wasnt the SAME once he got with the hawks(NO TRUE pg) i remember josh when he was very young playing in HS i thought back than that josh smith and Bron James were of two highest leapers at SF in the draft to come out of HS bron was a better ball handler and higher IQ but josh was a better dunker and Jumpshooter(again they both were HS players at that time) i expected more from JOSH as a pro AL really change da Hawks once he got there as rookie Horford is more consistent and A better defender at his position Al Horford is da hawks best player because hes more consistent

ugafan
03-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Or you don't know basketball.

thekmp211
03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
horford is their most effective player, he has to play out of position and lose shots to less efficient players every night. i'll take him, then jigga joe, then josh smith. still not sure what to make of smith.

shep33
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Voting remains tight... Thanks to whichever mod put Horford in the poll.

HoopsDrive
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Too many Robins in that team. If I could pick just one, I have to say it would be Smoove.

Bravo95
03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Johnson is the "best" player, but Horford is the most important player by far. Al is the one you'd want to build a franchise around until you find a true #1 scoring option. The reason his numbers haven't improved significantly is because he doesn't get the bball enough (especially in the 4th quarter) since the other key players are ballhogs and waste time over-dribbling. That falls on Larry Drew, and it's also the reason why the Hawks have blown a lot of 2nd half leads.

Chronz
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Biggest misconceptions right now are that Joe Johnson and Rondo are their teams best players

k24magic
04-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Its no question that Al Horford is the best player on that team and he's not even playing his natural position which really hurts him. He is the Hawks most consistent player that brings it every night. If he had a true defensive center to play alongside him he would be even better.

Still Josh Smith is the most talented player on that squad. He is their best defender, shot-blocker, rebounder. The thing that bothers me about Smith is he can be a better player than Horford. We know what he can do on defense but, offensively he can do a lot better. If he can be a consistent jump-shooter and use that athletic ability to draw fouls he's going to be a handful. Like Horford Smith is also playing out of position and thats the problem the Hawks have been having the last couple seasons.

LTBaByyy
04-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Its Johnson duh! 5th best SG in the world (kobe wade roy manu jj)

Just bc he is having a bad year doesnt mean he isnt the best player

I guess Roy isnt the Blazers best player bc of this season

JPHX
04-11-2011, 03:33 AM
the question is, when is atlanta gonna let the suns form a core of Nash, Gortat, and Jsmoove?

Khalifa21
04-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Al Horford or Josh Smith

Khalifa21
04-11-2011, 03:56 AM
Its Johnson duh! 5th best SG in the world (kobe wade roy manu jj)

Just bc he is having a bad year doesnt mean he isnt the best player

I guess Roy isnt the Blazers best player bc of this season

He's not anymore... It's LaMarcus Aldridge.

Jewelz0376
04-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Def Horford...he's a better all around player

JJ is pretty much just a scorer..

MJ-BULLS
04-11-2011, 04:12 AM
Horford is the best player the hawks have.

JJ: PER 16.6 TS% .520

Horford: PER 20.9 TS% .589

ragee
04-11-2011, 04:56 AM

Is that a bad thing? Well, for the Hawks, maybe because they are not really doing as well as they hoped but does a team without any superstars really mean they are not going anywhere? I don't think so... Look at the Pistons a couple of years ago... All they need to do is put the right players around those guys...

DoJoTheSlasher
04-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Josh MF Smith

UKblazers
04-11-2011, 07:18 AM
J Smoove, this is based on the few times iv watched the hawks play.

todu82
04-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Josh Smith

Gram
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Horford.

BklynKnicks3
04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Jamal crawford

theheatles
04-11-2011, 10:05 AM
i say joe johnson because past 4 years it's joe johnson and not even close..horford has better win shares than johnson this year yet pau has more than kobe as well, i don't think many if anyone at all vote for pau over kobe

Hawkeye15
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
this year? Horford for sure

The Hawks problem is they have a payroll suggesting a few stars, with no real superstars. The JJ contract will hamstring them from bringing in more help. The top 3 players they have are all good, but nobody is a #1 at all. They will basically win 45-50 games a year, and be 2nd round knockout material unless they blow it up

SteBO
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
this year? Horford for sure

The Hawks problem is they have a payroll suggesting a few stars, with no real superstars. The JJ contract will hamstring them from bringing in more help. The top 3 players they have are all good, but nobody is a #1 at all. They will basically win 45-50 games a year, and be 2nd round knockout material unless they blow it up
This pretty much.

ShockerArt
04-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I think it's Horford. Josh Smith has the most talent. But, he's a mental no-show way too often.

HOZ THE KNICK
04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
joe johnson is good but what makes him look bad is that he signed one of the worse contract in the history of the league so that how he is being judge but he would be a great #3 guy on a championship caliber team.

sf-fanatic
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
i think al horford is their best player

but

josh smith is their most important player

rjc33020
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
This chicago bull fan said to me BULLS AINT GOING DOWN WITH NO FIGHT and I said I AGREE. They go fight but the key words you said is GOING DOWN. Chicgo Bulls ought to be turned into the CHICAGO ROSE. They have a complete bench for the season only but not for the playoffs and sunday, they proved it. The closer the playoffs get, the laid back they get and it showed since they played memphis in chicago. Each time rose rests, teams make a run but rose bails um out. Can't even rest. Hope he doesn't fall out because of exhaustion in the postseason cause that's not going to work. The bench is killing this guy and not only them, boozer and noah isn't scoring. Jordan had reliable sources in the postseason, this bulls team doesn't. Not looking for um to do too much in the postseason.

rjc33020
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh, If they were great they wouldn't fight for home court. Great teams win on the road. Bulls are ovverated just like the cavs were. Last season I learned by watching them get crushed in the semifinals. This bulls team maynot go that far.

blastmasta26
04-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I think it's Horford. Josh Smith has the most talent. But, he's a mental no-show way too often.

Yeah, Horford's efficiency and consistency make him the best player on the team performance-wise. Smith has more talent and potential, but I don't think he will ever fully realize his potential at this point.

joe johnson is good but what makes him look bad is that he signed one of the worse contract in the history of the league so that how he is being judge but he would be a great #3 guy on a championship caliber team.

Not to mention that his play has declined this year as well.

knicks4life33
04-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Al hortford