PDA

View Full Version : Bulls expectations

Evolution23
03-29-2011, 12:58 AM
What do the Bulls have to do this year to not be considered failures?

marlinsfan24
03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
They already have IMO.

Evolution23
03-29-2011, 01:02 AM
They already have IMO.

ok

cubswin25
03-29-2011, 01:05 AM
They already have IMO.

Nah doesn't matter unless you do something in the playoffs. Right now if they don't make the Eastern Conference finals it would be a big disappointment. Especially if they get the number one seed, and right now if they don't finish 1st in the East it would be a huge disappointment. That said if they lose in the Eastern Conference finals to Heat or Celtics. I think most people would say it was still a successful season and there would still be a lot of hope. Since they can still add another good player to there team this off season. But anything less then that would be a disappointment, because the city is now expecting a championship from this core at some point. So if they play like crap in the playoffs, well it's gonna be very disappointing.

Evolution23
03-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Nah doesn't matter unless you do something in the playoffs. Right now if they don't make the Eastern Conference finals it would be a big disappointment. Especially if they get the number one seed, and right now if they don't finish 1st in the East it would be a huge disappointment. That said if they lose in the Eastern Conference finals to Heat or Celtics. I think most people would say it was still a successful season and there would still be a lot of hope. Since they can still add another good player to there team this off season. But anything less then that would be a disappointment, because the city is now expecting a championship from this core at some point. So if they play like crap in the playoffs, well it's gonna be very disappointing.

I agree the only teams they should lose to are the Celtics and Heat. If the Knicks beat them this year with 0 chemistry and no bench that would be sad for the Bulls.

IversonIsKrazy
03-29-2011, 01:10 AM
I think for them to challenge in the 2nd round is meeting the expectations. If they play the Magic tho, instead of Heat/Celtics in 2nd round, expectations might be a bit higher.

Avenged
03-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Get passed the 2nd round.

abe_froman
03-29-2011, 01:15 AM
a tough 2nd round out(making it go 6/7 game series)is probably the bare minimum to do and meet expectations

marlinsfan24
03-29-2011, 01:23 AM
ok

I was thinking regular season only for some reason. For the playoffs, I'd at ECF, especially if they get the 1 seed.

cubswin25
03-29-2011, 01:26 AM
a tough 2nd round out(making it go 6/7 game series)is probably the bare minimum to do and meet expectations

I think expectations grow during a season. Going into the year we probably would have been happy with that. But if they win 60 games and finish with the number 1 seed. Then lose to the Hawks or Magic in 6 or 7 games. Well fans are going to be disappointed. I know I would be very disappointed if that happen. I think that was more the expectations for the 07 Bulls. That beat the Heat in the first round and then lost to the Pistons in 6.

Avenged
03-29-2011, 01:31 AM
If the Bulls end up with the #1 seed out East and Rose wins MVP (which are both likely), then they have to get passed the second round. It's inexcusable for a team with that much depth and an MVP to just make it out the 1st round. I would say no championship is a failure but for this Bulls team, it's their first year with this sort of success so no major things were expected out of them. So far they remind me of the Hornets of a few years ago when CP3 and Kobe were battling for the top spot and league MVP.

abe_froman
03-29-2011, 01:38 AM
I think expectations grow during a season. Going into the year we probably would have been happy with that. But if they win 60 games and finish with the number 1 seed. Then lose to the Hawks or Magic in 6 or 7 games. Well fans are going to be disappointed. I know I would be very disappointed if that happen. I think that was more the expectations for the 07 Bulls. That beat the Heat in the first round and then lost to the Pistons in 6.

i said bare minimum and even though the bulls will likely be first seed,have mvp and be at about 60 wins.very few people from what i've gauged are particularly high on us as it pertains to the playoff success,so that being the case..yeah

my own expectations are conference finals,even though the majority dont see us making it that far

Lake_Show2416
03-29-2011, 01:40 AM
i was gonna say just get passed the 1st round but it wouldn't look that great if they cant beat the Magic

Get passed the 2nd

CubsFanBudMan#1
03-29-2011, 01:52 AM

I would agree with this but it depends who we play. I would be able to live with losing to the Celtics.

cubswin25
03-29-2011, 01:56 AM
If the Bulls end up with the #1 seed out East and Rose wins MVP (which are both likely), then they have to get passed the second round. It's inexcusable for a team with that much depth and an MVP to just make it out the 1st round. I would say no championship is a failure but for this Bulls team, it's their first year with this sort of success so no major things were expected out of them. So far they remind me of the Hornets of a few years ago when CP3 and Kobe were battling for the top spot and league MVP.

The Bulls defense is better then that Hornets team and a lot deeper. So yes their PG is there best player, and 2nd and 3rd best players are the PF and SF. With defender/rebounder who score a little at C and mediocre SG. But really it ends right there. Considering the Bulls are the best defensive team in the NBA. Not to mention have really good bench players like Korver, Brewer, Asik, Watson, Taj Gibson and Kurt Thomas. That core can score some points, but are even better then the starters defensivly. The Hornets had nothing like that coming off the bench. So when you consider defense and depth are difference makers come playoff time. That could be a big dfference from this Bulls team and that Hornets team. The Bulls are probably those Hornets mixed with the way the Spurs play defense and depth they have. So I think they are a bigger threat to make it to the finals then those Hornets were.

TopsyTurvy
03-29-2011, 01:56 AM
As a fan and season ticket holder, I am aiming low (mostly because I love being delighted).

The team itself views failure on a per-game basis - the mantra each player, coach, and executive with the organization is all the same. More than any other Bulls team I can remember (going back to the mid-late 80's) that's saying something.

Avenged
03-29-2011, 02:01 AM
The Bulls defense is better then that Hornets team and a lot deeper. So yes their PG is there best player, and 2nd and 3rd best players are the PF and SF. With defender/rebounder who score a little at C and mediocre SG. But really it ends right there. Considering the Bulls are the best defensive team in the NBA. Not to mention have really good bench players like Korver, Brewer, Asik, Watson, Taj Gibson and Kurt Thomas. That core can score some points, but are even better then the starters defensivly. The Hornets had nothing like that coming off the bench. So when you consider defense and depth are two deciding factors come playoff time. Something like that is a big difference then say what the Hornets had that season.

Nah I'm not comparing them position by position. Just the fact that nobody expected the Hornets to be that good (same with the Bulls) and have their best player battling out for MVP (same with the Bulls). The Hornets exceeded expectations, same with the Bulls.

Evolution23
03-29-2011, 02:32 AM
Nah I'm comparing them position by position. Just the fact that nobody expected the Hornets to be that good (same with the Bulls) and have their best player battling out for MVP (same with the Bulls). The Hornets exceeded expectations, same with the Bulls.

Yea but Rose will get the MVP this year even though CP3 was more deserving the year Kobe got it.

mjokc
03-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Bulls = 2nd round exit.

cubswin25
03-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Bulls = 2nd round exit.

:facepalm:

Teams that defend and rebound like the Bulls do, don't lose in the 2nd round very often. When you think about it the Bulls are actually pretty well built for the playoffs, when you consider the style they play. Usually the high scoring, average defensive high win teams are the ones that lose early in the playoffs.

mjokc
03-29-2011, 05:12 AM

Teams that defend and rebound like the Bulls do, don't lose in the 2nd round very often. When you think about it the Bulls are actually pretty well built for the playoffs, when you consider the style they play. Usually the high scoring, average defensive high win teams are the ones that lose early in the playoffs.

The bulls have always been a good rebounding and defensive team in the regular season, they were last year as well. I still don't see the bulls winning in a 7 game series against Miami or Boston. The playoffs are a whole different animal than regular season. Rose will be exposed and shut down in the playoffs, who's going to take over for Chicago when that happens? Boozer? Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if Boozer was injured again before or during the playoffs.

MOST
03-29-2011, 06:32 AM
2nd round win or a 2nd round hard fought battle imo

NYKalltheway
03-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Reach Conference Finals imo

MelkyNYY
03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
This is a serious question: Do the Chicago Bulls have a forum?

DLeeicious
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM

For serial, other teams fans are just obsessed with us it seems.

As a Bulls fan I would be devastated if we didn't make the ECF and while I would also be devastated losing in the ECF I would in NO way consider it a failure.

bulls_world23
03-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Make it to the ecf

Pierzynski4Prez
03-29-2011, 01:44 PM
At the start of the season, simply making it out of the 1st round would be a success. As of right now, I think anything less than making the conference finals would disappoint a majority of the fan base. I'm just hoping for a competitive 2nd round. I've said it before that I think the Bulls need to get close and lose before they will be able to get over the hump and win a title.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Did you even look to see who started the thread? Talk to your fellow NYers.

pacofunk64
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
nah doesn't matter unless you do something in the playoffs. Right now if they don't make the eastern conference finals it would be a big disappointment. Especially if they get the number one seed, and right now if they don't finish 1st in the east it would be a huge disappointment. That said if they lose in the eastern conference finals to heat or celtics. I think most people would say it was still a successful season and there would still be a lot of hope. Since they can still add another good player to there team this off season. But anything less then that would be a disappointment, because the city is now expecting a championship from this core at some point. So if they play like crap in the playoffs, well it's gonna be very disappointing.

this

SoxBearsBulls!
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
This is a young team so getting to at least the second round would be great for playoff expirience going foward.

allSUAVE
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Bulls and Boston the only two teams that's coming out the east.

theheatles
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM

:facepalm: the bulls, actually are a team that is not built for the playoffs considering on much the teams success hinges on 1 player, rose. great defensive teams will shut the bulls done completely in the playoffs (celtics, heat)

Jonathan2323
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
:facepalm: the bulls, actually are a team that is not built for the playoffs considering on much the teams success hinges on 1 player, rose. great defensive teams will shut the bulls done completely in the playoffs (celtics, heat)

I been trying to tell them the same thing. Forget about your role players too they will most likely disappear in the playoffs.

DLeeicious
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM

loooool nice description of playoff basketball. Last time I checked defense is still pretty important in playoff basketball. Bulls defense is pretty good.

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Depends on their seed. If they are the 1 seed, anything less than ECF is unacceptable. If they are 2 or 3, then a 2nd round loss to either MIA or BOS would be tolerable. I see them getting the 1 seed, so anything less than ECF and I consider their postseason a failure.

If we're going by preseason expectations, I had them losing to ORL in round 2.

DLeeicious
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Depends on their seed. If they are the 1 seed, anything less than ECF is unacceptable. If they are 2 or 3, then a 2nd round loss to either MIA or BOS would be tolerable. I see them getting the 1 seed, so anything less than ECF and I consider their postseason a failure.

If we're going by preseason expectations, I had them losing to ORL in round 2.

Where did you have us and Orlando seeded for that to occur?

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM

There is some truth to your point. But their rebounding and defense can't be ignored.

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
where did you have us and orlando seeded for that to occur?

1 mia
2 orl
3 chi
4 bos

SoxBearsBulls!
03-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Didn't the 2004 Pistons get it done with basically role players and defense?They didn't have any elite players on that team unless you consider Billups or Rip elite. :p

Actually, this year's Bulls statistically have better numbers than the 04 Pistons=PTS/G: 90.1 (24th of 29) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 84.3 (1st of 29)
The Pistons were 24 overall offensively and #1 defensively whereas the Bulls are middle of the pack offensively and #1 defensively.

DLeeicious
03-29-2011, 02:18 PM
1 mia
2 orl
3 chi
4 bos

Gotcha. I had

Miami
Boston
Orlando/Chicago/Atlanta

ManningToTyree
03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
make the ecf

theheatles
03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Didn't the 2004 Pistons get it done with basically role players and defense?They didn't have any elite players on that team unless you consider Billups or Rip elite. :p

Actually, this year's Bulls statistically have better numbers than the 04 Pistons=PTS/G: 90.1 (24th of 29) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 84.3 (1st of 29)
The Pistons were 24 overall offensively and #1 defensively whereas the Bulls are middle of the pack offensively and #1 defensively.

there are always a few exceptions to the rule. this year might be the most competitive the nba has ever been at the top...remember what the celtics did to kobe in the 08 finals...and derrick rose now isn't nearly as good as kobe was then...in my honest opinion i think the bulls are 4th most likely team to come out of the east

mjokc
03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Bulls are fools gold. If they get past the first round they will not make it past BOS or MIA in the second round.

SoxBearsBulls!
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
there are always a few exceptions to the rule. this year might be the most competitive the nba has ever been at the top...remember what the celtics did to kobe in the 08 finals...and derrick rose now isn't nearly as good as kobe was then...in my honest opinion i think the bulls are 4th most likely team to come out of the east

To be honest, I see either Boston or Chicago out of the East because Miami outside of the Big 3 have no one else and the Magic are Howard and a bunch of 3 pt shooters, you can stop those types of teams IMO.

TO to the CHI
03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Bulls are fools gold. If they get past the first round they will not make it past BOS or MIA in the second round.

It might help if you take a look at the standings. You would appear to be less daft.

Chi City23
03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
All depends if Bulls are #1 seed, and if they are ECF would be the goal at the very least. Some here say you can't win in the playoffs with 1 superstar and a bunch of role players.. well last time I checked the #8 East seed is gonna suck, then the Magic have how many superstars again?? Oh thats right 1! And like most of you have said the Bulls have a WAY better supporting cast around Rose than they do around Dwight. Now in the ECF we would play Boston or Miami where we could very much lose to hence why I said ECF.

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Gotcha. I had

Miami
Boston
Orlando/Chicago/Atlanta

ATL, ORL, and MIA couldn't all be 1-4 seeds. There are 3 divisions in the East. Each division winner is guaranteed a 1-4 seed. Those 3 and the next best record are seeded 1-4.

MIA, ORL, and ATL all play in the same division, so in your scenario, CHI would have been guaranteed the 4 seed.

Master Mind
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
This is Chicago's best chance to go deep imo because the east is getting stronger by the minute and not to mention those darn Heatles :p will have more cohesion which doesn't bode well for any team...

DLeeicious
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
ATL, ORL, and MIA couldn't all be 1-4 seeds. There are 3 divisions in the East. Each division winner is guaranteed a 1-4 seed. Those 3 and the next best record are seeded 1-4.

MIA, ORL, and ATL all play in the same division, so in your scenario, CHI would have been guaranteed the 4 seed.

Right, I was just saying preseason I thought chicago/atlanta/orlando were clearly below Miami and Boston. I was surprised to see you put Boston 4th.

DLeeicious
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

phew it's a good thing we won't have to play BOS or MIA in the second round. (as it stands now)

godolphins
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Lose in the 2nd round

Storch
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
They just need to put themselves back on the map in the playoffs and not lose in the first round. Anything after that puts you in the top teams in the league.

J-Relo
03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I think for them to challenge in the 2nd round is meeting the expectations. If they play the Magic tho, instead of Heat/Celtics in 2nd round, expectations might be a bit higher.

totally what i wanted to say :clap:

ackar
03-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Call me spoiled but anything short of a NBA title at this point will disappoint me. I said in the beginning of the year a successful run for the Bulls will be an ECF. Now that the games have been played Rose a MVP canidate, Rose a elite player and the way Chicago is playing overall a title and then in subsequent years titles runs is my expectation.

BlinkManJan02
03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
I say make it to the conference finals.

Purple&Gold24
03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
They'll make it to the Finals. Bulls barely beat the heat and take it 7 games. Rose makes the buzzer beater in OT because Lebron just missed the buzzer beater in regulation time.