PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Celtics?

Sadds The Gr8
03-29-2011, 12:06 AM
If u hadn't noticed, they've been playing losing alot of games lately. After what they did last year, i thought i learned that you don't have to dominate the reg season to have a deep playoff run. But i just find it weird that they'd just start losing all these games suddenly after dominating the east the whole year. What do you think is wrong with them?

Jewelz0376
03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
If u hadn't noticed, they've been playing losing alot of games lately. After what they did last year, i thought i learned that you don't have to dominate the reg season to have a deep playoff run. But i just find it weird that they'd just start losing all these games suddenly after dominating the east the whole year. What do you think is wrong with them?

eh it's not really a big deal to me...It reminds me of the Lakers losing 7 out of their last 10 last season..I honestly think Bos is just ready for the playoffs to begin and aren't focused as much as they need to be right now...It was the same with LA

The Perkins trade isn't it imo, because they played most of the season w/o him anyways and played fine...

CowboysKB24
03-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't think anythings wrong. Last year they lost what, like 7 of their last 11 games? They are a playoff team and will be focused and ready when the time comes. If Shaq comes back they will be even better against bigger teams. They are also still trying to get used to their new players.

marlinsfan24
03-29-2011, 12:20 AM
There's nothing wrong. They'll be fine come playoff time. Remember last season?

blahblahyoutoo
03-29-2011, 12:22 AM

can't go by previous years. obviously they're a year older and a step slower. we could be seeing an early exit from boston.

Jonathan2323
03-29-2011, 12:22 AM
They're just unmotivated right now and don't care until the playoffs start

HuRRiCaNeS324
03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
All of the above.

Crackadalic
03-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Same story last year. Same this year. Its nothing

pedrofan45
03-29-2011, 12:29 AM
i think the perk trade messed with their heads

AIRMAR72
03-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Perkins is painfully BEING mis from the team, boston are NOT the same team without Perkins.. NOW the team is unbalance (chemistry wise) hes the best post defender in the game with natural countryman strength (poorman charles oak) better for OKC bad move by Ainge and company

IDB Josh M
03-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Because they traded Perkins, who is actually more of a psychological help for rondo than a stats man.

They're just unmotivated right now and don't care until the playoffs start

Same story last year. Same this year. Its nothing

From a member of the respected rivals, I'd like to think so, but now is the time to play your best ball. The Celtics aren't really playing their best ball. Hope they make it to the finals, hope they at least make it out of the first round, but the big three + rondo aren't playing at a high level as compared to the Heat.

redsox0717
03-29-2011, 12:53 AM
:facepalm:

Seriously?

You can't remember back just a year when they did basically the same exact thing and made the Finals?

CowboysKB24
03-29-2011, 12:54 AM
can't go by previous years. obviously they're a year older and a step slower. we could be seeing an early exit from boston.

And why can't you go by previous years?

You are just hoping this. If Boston goes out, it won't be easy.

allSUAVE
03-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Definatly team chemistry they would get it together for the playoffs

abe_froman
03-29-2011, 12:57 AM
boredom? ...i dunno.the loss of perk hurt but i fully expect them to still be dangerous come playoff time

cubswin25
03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
They will be fine come playoff time. But they aren't gonna be the same team then either or at least defensivly. Not having Perkins in the middle and a guy like Tony Allen to play lockdown defense on top guards. Are bigger loses then Celtics fans want to admit, so I don't think they can just turn it on at the same level as last year. But they aren't gonna lose in the 1st round or anything crazy like that.

IversonIsKrazy
03-29-2011, 01:19 AM
At first I thought it was the trade. But then i realized that...
this season, Perkins played a total of 12 games for Boston. Started 7 and came off the bench for 5 games

Perkins is not the problem. Rondo has been pretty crappy lately and their just not as focused. To be honest, I think same as a lot of ppl, their just waiting for Playoffs. They'll come ready for playoffs. But they should start playing properly considering they are tied with Heat now, and might have to face them 2nd round, might as well play for HCA in the 2nd round.

In conclusion: Perkins is NOT missed because he only played 12 games for boston this season. They just lost focus, but should try to catch HCA over Miami for playoffs,

Lake_Show2416
03-29-2011, 01:27 AM
....they're just chillin'

shep33
03-29-2011, 01:30 AM
i still think they're a bit messed up from the Perkins trade. Something just feels wrong at times with the Celts. Doc called them "soft" the other day, that's something that doesn't happen often. They should be fine as long as Shaq and JO contribute.

Lakers + Giants
03-29-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't think anything is wrong, this is just who they really are. maybe im being JUST A LITTLE biased here as a laker fan :p

cubswin25
03-29-2011, 01:41 AM
At first I thought it was the trade. But then i realized that...
this season, Perkins played a total of 12 games for Boston. Started 7 and came off the bench for 5 games

Perkins is not the problem. Rondo has been pretty crappy lately and their just not as focused. To be honest, I think same as a lot of ppl, their just waiting for Playoffs. They'll come ready for playoffs. But they should start playing properly considering they are tied with Heat now, and might have to face them 2nd round, might as well play for HCA in the 2nd round.

In conclusion: Perkins is NOT missed because he only played 12 games for boston this season. They just lost focus, but should try to catch HCA over Miami for playoffs,

Well it's not just Perkins it's the combo of Shaq and then not having Perkins. Remember Shaq was playing pretty decent for them for most of Novemenber,December and Janauary.Then when he was out in Febuary they had Perkins to go to. So the combo of having Shaq/Perkins around they were 41-14. Since they have had Shaq hurt and Perkins out, they have gone only 10-7. So without a big man in the middle, they just aren't the same team. So I think it's more then them just chilling. Yes they aren't this bad, and part of them losing is bad luck and some guys struggling. But part of it has to do with not having a to clog up the middle as well. Plus lets be realistic this Celtics team has egos. They don't want a young Bulls team or the Heat to take the number 1 seed in the East after they were there basically all season. Yes I know they think the playoffs are more important, but they do have something to play for. It's not like last season when they had no chance to be in 1st place, so were just chillin.

thekmp211
03-29-2011, 01:43 AM
i think the perkins trade jarred the team psyche more than anything. practicality aside, imo you dont break up a winning core like that until they lose, but thats another story.

they are just sloppy right now. its similar to last year, although the celtics are facing stiffer competition for their seeding. they really do still have something to play for, so its not encouraging. either way i think they'll turn it off come playoff time, but its definitely not a good thing to see them lose like this.

The BodyGuard
03-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Boston just ain't the same since Perkins got traded..But once Shaq gets bak I think they'll be str8t

championships
03-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Danny Ainge is what happened.

mania03
03-29-2011, 02:03 AM
There defense isn't that great. Offensively they have improved but I think their upset with the Kendrick trade and its bothered them emotionally. This will change when Shaq comes back cause they have a big body in the paint. And Common guys Kritic really ? This guy is terrible (Soon to be a Biz Z). Everyone's forgetting about Jermaine Oneal too...all Bos needs is a defensive center which replaces Kendrick. Cause they didn't really rely on Kendrick to perform offensively much. They should be fine come playoff time.

LA_Raiders
03-29-2011, 03:27 AM
They will be alright, they can beat all but Orl & Chi in the East. IMO

bostncelts34
03-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Just not focused. They are playing many below average teams (Minny,CHA,Indy,NJ), They are just not into it. Im itnerested to see how they look against CHI and MIA upcoming though.

Also Jermaine O'Neal is expected to come back this thursday. That wil add a 7 ft'er and depth to the bench. Shaq is "expected" April 1st. With everyone back and healthy, the celtics are the team to beat in the east, regardless of seedings.

bostncelts34
03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Addition: why is everyoen saying its the Perk trade? They only had perkins for 12 games with mostly limited minutes. The problem is Shaq/JO.

rondo/West/Arroyo
Allen/West/Pavlovic
Pierce/Green
KG/davis/green
Shaq/Krystic/JO

Thats a very well rounded, deep team. With lots of expierence and a few younger guys mixed in.

magichatnumber9
03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
If your still sore after this long about losing a teammate then that's just sad. You would think this has never happened before.

Fmaranesi
03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
To everyone saying Oh don't you remember last year ??? Well duh many of us do but Boston also had a legit Center, last year they were just unmotivated at the end of the season but still had their center, now he's gone and they have to rely on Nenad who is terrible and two old oneals that can never stay healthy. If they still had Perkins then I would just say they are unmotivated and are waiting until the playoffs...without Perkins, the Celtics are just not as good, I realize they played most of the season without him but the season is long and they could be getting tired. Come playoff time they might end up regretting trading Perkins. They could still end up winning it all but it will be so much harder now, Perkins really made their life easier, no one on the Heat could match up with him and Perkins could defend Dwight by himself.

magichatnumber9
03-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Addition: why is everyoen saying its the Perk trade? They only had perkins for 12 games with mostly limited minutes. The problem is Shaq/JO.

rondo/West/Arroyo
Allen/West/Pavlovic
Pierce/Green
KG/davis/green
Shaq/Krystic/JO

Thats a very well rounded, deep team. With lots of expierence and a few younger guys mixed in.I think that's asking way to much from a mid season guy who's not a seasoned vet. 3 years your still learning the NBA game. He should be Pierces understudy unless he is doing limited minutes at the 4. Very limited

Antipod
03-29-2011, 09:09 AM
They are chilling be4 playoffs :cool:

BALLER R
03-29-2011, 09:11 AM
the same thing that was wrong with the lakers...its nothing to worry about unless it happens in the playoffs

AntiG
03-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Actually they really aren't. KG is far and away better than last year, when he was still recovering from his knee injury. Paul Pierce is in the best shape he's been in over a decade and is quicker and more explosive than he has since when he was in his 20s. He's posterizing a defender or two almost every single night - do you ever remember him being an explosive dunker? Or actually dunking more than once a month? And Ray is having one of his best shooting seasons ever.

The reason they're like this right now is because they're not motivated and conserving energy for their playoff run.

corky831
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Actually they really aren't. KG is far and away better than last year, when he was still recovering from his knee injury. Paul Pierce is in the best shape he's been in over a decade and is quicker and more explosive than he has since when he was in his 20s. He's posterizing a defender or two almost every single night - do you ever remember him being an explosive dunker? Or actually dunking more than once a month? And Ray is having one of his best shooting seasons ever.

The reason they're like this right now is because they're not motivated and conserving energy for their playoff run.

haha i was gonna say the same thing....they arnt a step slower at all, in fact they are healthier than last yr, I think the celts tend to get bored in the 2nd half of the season....jermaine is coming back this week, and Shaq should be back shortly as well.....The celtics had the 2nd best record in the NBA behind the Spurs for most of the season without Perkins.....they should have made the trade Perkins health was beginning to become suspect...we got 2 nice players in kristic and green for depth reasons.....kristic is a far better scoring option than perk was as well

ChitownSports16
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM

This!!! I think this team is done in the 1st round.

kobebabe
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't be fooled by their losses. This team will be ready to go when time calls for it.

psperry34116
03-29-2011, 10:28 AM
The Celtics were playing theyre best basketball since 08 before Perkins went down. What they're missing now is a lack of consistency of the bench and a lack of motivation. We still haven't found a true rotation for the playoffs. When Shaq and JO come back, things will change.

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Do people really think they are not trying right now? If I'm a Celtics fan and I think my team is giving up for the last 15 games of the season when playoff seeding is going to be very important this year I'm super pissed.

I think they really are trying, to say their not is an insult to them. The fact is this team is just not as good as they once were due to age, injuries, and the Perkins trade.

Look for them to get wiped out in the second round against Miami.

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
The Celtics were playing theyre best basketball since 08 before Perkins went down. What they're missing now is a lack of consistency of the bench and a lack of motivation. We still haven't found a true rotation for the playoffs. When Shaq and JO come back, things will change.

If you are counting on Shaq to be a playoff savior then you've already lost.

Hustlenomics
03-29-2011, 10:37 AM

you gotta be kidding me

tonyd3b54
03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
its def a combination of the perk trade messing with team chemistry and the fact that they plain just dont care right now...

trading perk weakened the defense a little bit but i think the celtics can more than survive it considering they have a lot more skill now.

the real kicker is on the bench. the bench has no chemistry at all and every time doc subs out atleast 4 starters the celtics give up the lead and momentum. the starters have shown that when theyre trying they still can dominate a game. the problem is that they dont always try. I dont think this will be a big problem come playoffs tho because the starters will give it their all and the bench rotation will be much smaller. I can envision a scenario where the only people coming off the bench in the playoffs will be shaq, delonte west, baby and jeff green. when right now doc is throwing out arroyo, west, pavlovic,murphy, davis, green, all at the same time and its really just a mess...

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
How can people say they don't care they are professionals, and KG, Rondo, and PP are some of the most competitive athletes I've ever seen in any sport. If you think they don't care or are not trying then you are just wrong!

Heater4life
03-29-2011, 10:53 AM
IMO this is just what Boston does, they have late season slumps/lack of interest. Also, i think to dismiss the Perk trade as no big deal "he only played 12 games" is just foolish. This isnt just about on the court, you forget the relationship and cohesion Perk and Nate had in that locker room. (mostly perk). That disrupts your teams rhythm. And Rondo, the player he was closest to, is struggling the hardest.

Its definitely a factor.

ChitownSports16
03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
you gotta be kidding me

Why would he be kidding...?

irishkid1691
03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Perkins is painfully BEING mis from the team, boston are NOT the same team without Perkins.. NOW the team is unbalance (chemistry wise) hes the best post defender in the game with natural countryman strength (poorman charles oak) better for OKC bad move by Ainge and company

you forgetting that perkins missed a **** load of games this year and we were still at the top of the standings without him..?:facepalm:

Gibby23
03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
its def a combination of the perk trade messing with team chemistry and the fact that they plain just dont care right now...

trading perk weakened the defense a little bit but i think the celtics can more than survive it considering they have a lot more skill now.

the real kicker is on the bench. the bench has no chemistry at all and every time doc subs out atleast 4 starters the celtics give up the lead and momentum. the starters have shown that when theyre trying they still can dominate a game. the problem is that they dont always try. I dont think this will be a big problem come playoffs tho because the starters will give it their all and the bench rotation will be much smaller. I can envision a scenario where the only people coming off the bench in the playoffs will be shaq, delonte west, baby and jeff green. when right now doc is throwing out arroyo, west, pavlovic,murphy, davis, green, all at the same time and its really just a mess...

I think you nailed it. The Celtics dropped 33 points in the first qtr yesterday and 36 in the 3rd qtr. they didn't do so well in the 2nd and 4th. When the playoffs come around, the game slows down and you have to be able to run half court sets, and the celtics can still get that done.

justinnum1
03-29-2011, 11:09 AM
injuries, Perkins trade, rondo sucking

ne3xchamps
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
they have done this before. Nothing wrong with them. Doc will get them some rest before the playoffs, then they will turn it on. Its like once they know they are in, they lose interest because they are interested in the big picture, another ring.

Gibby23
03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
injuries, Perkins trade, rondo sucking

Rondo isn't going to suck in the playoffs. You better get that boy Bibby a red bull.

SteBO
03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
All I gotta say is what the G.O.A.T. said. Jermaine O'neal is not good, take my word for it, and you can't count on Shaq to be this huge difference maker. He's most likely not even in game shape anymore. That's why you can't dismiss the Perkins trade. He was ideal for BOS, and then you get Krstic who's a little better offensively, but has nowhere near the same defensive impact, and defense wins championships.

ChitownSports16
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
G.O.A.T. is right...

Rondo isn't going to suck in the playoffs. You better get that boy Bibby a red bull.

Just wow... You C's fans are fooling yourselfs.

SteBO
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
You just reiterated his point. This is about right at this moment, not the playoffs. Lately, rondo has been bad.

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
G.O.A.T. is right...

Just wow... You C's fans are fooling yourselfs.

Fooling ourselves??? I don't think saying that Rondo doesn't suck and that he is better than Bibby is unreasonable. He's been playing hurt (KG's words, not mine). He's been slumping hard. But he was great last night after a day off. I think to say he's pacing himself and that he'll be fine in the playoffs is more than reasonable. No one said that he's going to average a triple double again, just that he won't suck and be a detriment the way he has been the past few weeks, save a game here and there.

Oh and Gibby is a Lakers fan, and a hardcore Celtics hater as well if my memory serves me right from the Finals last year.

DaBUU
03-29-2011, 11:21 AM
you still have PP, Ray Allen, KG, and Rondo. They will definitely still be dangerous in the playoffs. I remember everyone saying the same thing last year towards the end of the season, when Boston also played poorly down the stretch. They're in stay/get healthy mode right now.

corky831
03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
i love the cockiness of BUlls fans, they tend to crap on the celtics, yet, what has their team done since Jordan?.....until they win sotin....then they can start talking trash

SteBO
03-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Fooling ourselves??? I don't think saying that Rondo doesn't suck and that he is better than Bibby is unreasonable. He's been playing hurt (KG's words, not mine). He's been slumping hard. But he was great last night after a day off. I think to say he's pacing himself and that he'll be fine in the playoffs is more than reasonable. No one said that he's going to average a triple double again, just that he won't suck and be a detriment the way he has been the past few weeks, save a game here and there.

Oh and Gibby is a Lakers fan, and a hardcore Celtics hater as well if my memory serves me right from the Finals last year.
This thread is about right now, not the playoffs.

corky831
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
And teams make trades all the time, if a player rlly meant that much to a team, they wouldnt trade away that player

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
BOS added 5 new players through trade/buyouts. Delonte West could also be counted as a midseason addition because of how little he played early. BOS is consistantly putting lineups out there of 4 bench pieces that are still learning the system.

Come playoff time, the starters will have their minutes extended and the rotation will be shortened. You won't see a true "2nd unit" in the game. Doc will likely leave 3, but at least 2, starters in there at a time. That will bring more continuity and familiarity.

Atticus Finch
03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Lakers and Celtics fans say they are fine. Bulls and Heat fans say they are toast.

KnicksorBust
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Well it's not just Perkins it's the combo of Shaq and then not having Perkins. Remember Shaq was playing pretty decent for them for most of Novemenber,December and Janauary.Then when he was out in Febuary they had Perkins to go to. So the combo of having Shaq/Perkins around they were 41-14. Since they have had Shaq hurt and Perkins out, they have gone only 10-7. So without a big man in the middle, they just aren't the same team. So I think it's more then them just chilling. Yes they aren't this bad, and part of them losing is bad luck and some guys struggling. But part of it has to do with not having a to clog up the middle as well. Plus lets be realistic this Celtics team has egos. They don't want a young Bulls team or the Heat to take the number 1 seed in the East after they were there basically all season. Yes I know they think the playoffs are more important, but they do have something to play for. It's not like last season when they had no chance to be in 1st place, so were just chillin.

Best post in the thread. Their biggest strengths is their size and defense. By not having a healthy O'Neal and trading Kendrick Perkins, they've lost that. They still have the talent to win games but honestly unless Shaq comes back and produces I have Miami going to the Finals. Was avoiding giving Perkins that contract really worth giving up your best shot at a championship?

hugepatsfan
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
BOS's defense has been statistically better than their season averages during their recent struggles.

Their offense, on the other hand, has been horrific. That speaks to a lack of continuity and chemistry. In the playoffs, the rotation will be shortened and the starters' minutes will be extended. That will minimize the chemistry issues, as there won't be 4-5 guys on the floor at a time that don't fully know what they're doing.

Perk doesn't add anything offensively, so I'm hesitant to say him coming back would "fix" the problems. I think that swapping Daniels/Erden/Harangody for Murphy/Pavlovich/Arroyo is a bigger cause of the struggles than the Pekr trade. Playing a whole 2nd unit of midseason additions w/ no experience together is what's hurting them most IMO.

ChitownSports16
03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
i love the cockiness of BUlls fans, they tend to crap on the celtics, yet, what has their team done since Jordan?.....until they win sotin....then they can start talking trash

So now this is gonna turn in to a Bulls Thread?? ya'll gotta love it...

SteBO
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Lakers and Celtics fans say they are fine. Bulls and Heat fans say they are toast.
I think the Celtics will be fine, just won't be as good as before. Perkins was an ideal fit for the C's. @corky, I can name lots of instances where gms traded important guys and suffered consequences for it in the long run for that particular year. Your claims that Perkins wasn't a key player is false.

Gibby23
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
This thread is about right now, not the playoffs.

Right now they are number 2 in the east with the tie breaker over the Heat. What is wrong with the Heat? It's an 82 game season some teams lose early, some lose late. It only matters in the Playoffs and the Celtics have won a ring and have been to 2 out of the last 3 finals. They won 2 series without HCA last year to get to the finals and they dominated those 2 series. They know when it counts.

Tarheels23
03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
They have no Center. Both Oneals are hurt, Perkins is in OKC, and Kristic is a p****

Atticus Finch
03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I think the Celtics will be fine, just won't be as good as before. Perkins was an ideal fit for the C's. @corky, I can name lots of instances where gms traded important guys and suffered consequences for it in the long run for that particular year. Your claims that Perkins wasn't a key player is false.

I was definitely just over generalizing, there are obviously some exceptions but that just seemed to be the trend throughout the thread. I agree that Perkins was a great fit for the Celtics, I'm just not ready to write them off because of the past few games.