PDA

View Full Version : Kobe ~ Longest Tenured Laker EVER

kblo247
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
With L.A.ís win over New Orleans on March 27, Kobe Bryant became the longest tenured player in Lakers history.

Bryant has now appeared in 1,094 games for the Purple and Gold in his 15 seasons dating back to 1996-97, surpassing the 1,093 games played by NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Bryant also holds the franchise mark for most games played in the postseason (198).

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2011/03/28/kobe-bryant-the-longest-tenured-laker/

It was a given that it would happen this year, but it is now official. Quite an honor for Kobe and for us fans

Law25
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Continues to make his case for greatest Laker ever KB24 for MVP and Lakers G.O.A.T

Supa
03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Congrad to Kobe, statue outside of Staples Center one day.

---

Bruno
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice, thanks for posting KBLO. I hadn't heard this yet/forgot he was closing in.

He's just continuing to build his case as the GLOAT.

Bruno
03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Congrad to Kobe, statue outside of Staples Center one day.

---

It's gona happen. HOFers get their numbers retired next to the banners, but only Lakers for life get status. West, Magic, and eventually Bryant.

Staples has become "the house that Bryant built".

raidermadsen
03-28-2011, 11:24 PM
kobe is one of the greatest lakers ever but its magics city

numba1CHANGsta
03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
kobe is one of the greatest lakers ever but its magics city

It will be Kobe's city if he gets another parade in LA ;)

whitemamba33
03-29-2011, 12:07 AM
I think more than anything, it is his longetitivity that has impressed me with him. His shooting percentages might never have been Jordan-esque, and his individual seasons don't quite measure up..but he's been doing what he does for a LONG time, and I don't see that ending anytime soon.

Avenged
03-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Nice, thanks for posting KBLO. I hadn't heard this yet/forgot he was closing in.

He's just continuing to build his case as the GLOAT.

Do you think he already is? Magic is a top 3 all-time player in my opinion, I'm not too sure Kobe is quite there yet.

GREATNESS ONE
03-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Do you think he already is? Magic is a top 3 all-time player in my opinion, I'm not too sure Kobe is quite there yet.

I think getting another ring this year is going to catapult him into the top 3. It's Amazing what we've seen from this Man, growing up in front of our eyes into a ICON. He's going to keep adding to his Legendary career and easily make the case for GLOAT.

championships
03-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Laker Legend Kobe (beef) Bryant.

KillaInstinct24
03-29-2011, 02:24 AM
kobe is the los angeles lakers. magic WAS the los angeles lakers.

LA_Raiders
03-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Goat

Iron24th
03-29-2011, 03:05 AM
It's gona happen. HOFers get their numbers retired next to the banners, but only Lakers for life get status. West, Magic, and eventually Bryant.

Staples has become "the house that Bryant built".

100% agree!

That's Justice for the best Laker ever.

Mcdoh
03-29-2011, 03:31 AM
the best laker... congratz

kid24
03-29-2011, 04:34 AM
great thats i didn't know that bro good to know lets go kobe.

8kobe24
03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Lakers GOAT! Congrats to Kobe, now get us that championship.:D

Hellcrooner
03-29-2011, 12:45 PM
its impresive that kareem was on the lead.

I mean kobe was 17 and has been a laker forever so its only normal he ends being the longest tenure.

but kareem was like 26 when he joined us.

rabueed
03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Congrats to Kobe, glad to have him as a Laker for so long. Not to take anything away from him, but Magic is by and far the greatest Laker of all time. The reason why is, regardless of statistics (I don't know who they favor anyways - Kobe or Magic), the following:

Kobe has been the most polarizing figure of any Lakers great before him. He's had a lot of controversy over the years, and you guys can't honestly tell me you've sided with him through everything. The fact that he wanted a trade to the Bulls hit home with me, not to mention the alleged rape in Colorado and him ratting on Shaq.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kobe raped that chick, but I do think he handled the whole situation wrong. His issues with Shaq were handled wrong as well. Magic never caused the kind of turmoil that Kobe has caused with his teams over the years and to the organization. Even through his AIDS ordeal, LA was loyal to him and he was loyal to LA. Never once did I have concern that Magic wouldn't be a Laker or that their were issues with the team because of Magic. Can you say the same about Kobe?

I love Kobe as a basketball player, fantastic talent and glad to have him through the years. However, to me, the greatest Laker ever is someone I could put as the symbol of the team. I would never do that with Kobe, I'd use Magic before him, and even Jerry West. The reason I choose Magic over West is a whole other story.

Topballs
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Congrats to Kobe, glad to have him as a Laker for so long. Not to take anything away from him, but Magic is by and far the greatest Laker of all time. The reason why is, regardless of statistics (I don't know who they favor anyways - Kobe or Magic), the following:

Kobe has been the most polarizing figure of any Lakers great before him. He's had a lot of controversy over the years, and you guys can't honestly tell me you've sided with him through everything. The fact that he wanted a trade to the Bulls hit home with me, not to mention the alleged rape in Colorado and him ratting on Shaq.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kobe raped that chick, but I do think he handled the whole situation wrong. His issues with Shaq were handled wrong as well. Magic never caused the kind of turmoil that Kobe has caused with his teams over the years and to the organization. Even through his AIDS ordeal, LA was loyal to him and he was loyal to LA. Never once did I have concern that Magic wouldn't be a Laker or that their were issues with the team because of Magic. Can you say the same about Kobe?

I love Kobe as a basketball player, fantastic talent and glad to have him through the years. However, to me, the greatest Laker ever is someone I could put as the symbol of the team. I would never do that with Kobe, I'd use Magic before him, and even Jerry West. The reason I choose Magic over West is a whole other story.

The thing is.. the points you have made do not really apply to thesis of "Best Laker of all time". I agree with you that what happened to Kobe will always create a dent in his public image, but not his basketball skill or legacy. In addition, Magics aids issue led him to retire, and leave the team after they were still winning championships. Weather they would have won the year after is another issue considering the Bulls looked unbeatable by that point. But in my opinion neither of these off-the-court scenarios that happened to each player have anything to do with who is the better basketball player. With all of that said im not saying that Kobe is the best Laker, but I think there is a very high chance he will be, as he could win his 6th ring at 32 years old.

shep33
03-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Greatness right there

rabueed
03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
The thing is.. the points you have made do not really apply to thesis of "Best Laker of all time". I agree with you that what happened to Kobe will always create a dent in his public image, but not his basketball skill or legacy. In addition, Magics aids issue led him to retire, and leave the team after they were still winning championships. Weather they would have won the year after is another issue considering the Bulls looked unbeatable by that point. But in my opinion neither of these off-the-court scenarios that happened to each player have anything to do with who is the better basketball player. With all of that said im not saying that Kobe is the best Laker, but I think there is a very high chance he will be, as he could win his 6th ring at 32 years old.

You see, though, GLOAT shouldn't be based on pure basketball skills. I think it's pretty clear that Kobe is the greatest basketball talent the Lakers have ever had. However, if you factor in everything else, I would never say he's the GLOAT. He's a polarizing figure. Many Laker fans love him as a player, but I know several who dislike him as a player and a person. You could never say that about Magic. I never knew anyone to hate him for his playing skills or off the court things. Magic has brought so much to LA, not to mention the Lakers. I would definitely place Magic on a higher pedestal than Kobe when you factor in all the side notes, not just what he did on the court.

Topballs
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
I see where you're coming from. totally valid points.

Bruno
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM

I don't, not yet. But with ever new accolade the argument gets stronger and stronger.

If LA wins another title with him at the helm I'll have to seriously reconsider my position.

I love Magic Johnson. His approach to the game separates him from the rest of the all-time greats. He is the greatest player to ever play who didn't have to lead his team in scoring every year (along with Russell); something about that is special IMO; it embodies the epitome of "team-work", and working together to succeed the ultimate team goal.

I also think that had Magic not gone down with HIV that The DR. would have spent the money to bring in another big to play with Magic (after losing 4-1 to Chicago, I'd guess that Buss would be looking to make a deal to get over the hump). With that being said, Magic had to retire very young, before turning 32. Kobe has the opportunity to play much longer than Magic, and thus accomplish more.

I don't think it's out of the question for Bryant to pass Magic, but it remains to be seen. Magic still edges him in total MVPs, and Bryant is yet to surpass him in titles. KB24 has no real argument in my book until he passes Magic in titles. But I believe he will, and I think Bryant will retire as the GLOAT and possibly top 3 in the history of the league.

NBAfan4life
03-30-2011, 10:12 PM

I think he is GLOAT already, but only by default. If magic would of not had a shortened career he most likely would of been better.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2011, 11:13 PM
HIs contreoversial stint will forever separate him of being GLOAT.

Also he didnt have to raise a franchise from teh ground like Magic Did 1( 1 ring in the previous 20 years), kobe he found a traditioanl wining lakers ( 5 rings in the prior 20 years)

New Power House
03-30-2011, 11:21 PM

Also he didnt have to raise a franchise from teh ground like Magic Did 1( 1 ring in the previous 20 years), kobe he found a traditioanl wining lakers ( 5 rings in the prior 20 years)

In a way Kobe has done that. Lakers were trash until he showed in the NBA! Then things got interesting after he became part of the best one two punch in Lakers history!

New Power House
03-30-2011, 11:28 PM

In a way Kobe has done that. Lakers were trash after Magic unfortunate sickness force him into retirement. Then things got interesting after he became part of the best one two punch in Lakers history by bringing the first tree-peat! Magic and Bird revived the NBA is a fact! Jordan took it to another level and when everybody thought that was it, along came THE BLACK MAMBA! He is not done yet boys! He might get some help next year to elongate his brilliance! :clap:

Bruno
03-30-2011, 11:30 PM

Also he didnt have to raise a franchise from the ground like Magic Did 1( 1 ring in the previous 20 years), kobe he found a traditioanl wining lakers ( 5 rings in the prior 20 years)

For people who are willing to judge a player based off what he does on the court, it won't be a factor. Nor should it be a factor; this isn't a popularity contest.

I get the point you're making in your second paragraph, but I disagree, and I think you're exaggerating a bit. It's not that you're wrong regarding one title over the previous twenty years. But "raise a franchise from the ground"? It's not like they were bottom dwellers Crooner, they may have only won one title but they made it to the Finals ten times from '59-'79.

Kobe ranking shouldn't be lessened because of the time and era he came around in, that's not fair.

Bruno
03-30-2011, 11:51 PM

Also, I'm not trying to convince you Crooner; I know Magic is your guy. I know I could never convince you otherwise. You know I appreciate the parity you bring to the Lakers forum on a regular basis.

And my bad for turning this into a Kobe vs. Magic thread. :cheers:

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM
When it is all said and done, Kobe will go down as the greatest Laker of all time.

Hawkeye15
03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
While this makes obvious sense since Kobe came in at age 18, its still a pretty surreal accomplishment considering how pro sports work.

The Lakers lucked out on getting one of the best players most of us will ever see. No doubt