PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams- “No One Wanted To Play In Utah”

D Roses Bulls
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
So Utah probably felt this frustrated Williams and probably thought he would leave and traded him while they still could.

“That was the hardest thing for me,” he says of playing recruiter for the Jazz. “I tried every summer. I played with the best guys year after year and guys that were becoming free agents and asked if they wanted to come play with me and they’re like, ‘In Utah?’”

“I tried to tell people it’s a great city. If you want to go out and party every night, it’s not where you want to be. It’s a clean city. There’s a lot to do for families. The fans are great. Great foods. Great restaurants. The only thing it didn’t have is partying.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/03/26/2011-03-26_people_get_deron_williams_name_wrong_all_the_ti me_but_the_nets_say_thats_all_abo.html?page=3

Sixerlover
03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Must've sucked to get that response yearly from other players.

finalverse
03-28-2011, 07:48 PM
That sucks, it was a great NBA town.

210Don
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
lmao dwills a douche stfu

Bucsfan
03-28-2011, 07:53 PM
That sucks, it was a great NBA town.

it was a great NBA town? it IS a great NBA town

players are ********, we are 5 hours from Las Vegas and salt lakes party sections arent like NY or LA but who cares, you have millions of dollars!!!! fly somewhere when you want to party! its not hard

its so pathetic what the NBA is becoming

this problem will only get worse if the jazz draft Jimmer

Bullsfan22
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM

what exactly did he say that was so wrong?

WickedBadMan
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Need to shake the whole Morman thing.

210Don
what exactly did he say that was so wrong?

he shouldn't even be speaking on the jazz your gone stfu and play for the nets.... this can only hurt the jazz...

King P
It reminds me of when Lebron was in Cleveland, and he was trying to recruit people to come with play with him, and nobody wanted to come.

Makes you wonder how much of a priority winning is to some of these players.

WickedBadMan
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Everyone knows the players nowadays are *****es, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Well if he tried to convince Bosh:laugh2:.....he can't chill in Utah.

Bucsfan
03-28-2011, 08:02 PM
he shouldn't even be speaking on the jazz your gone stfu and play for the nets.... this can only hurt the jazz...

im not sure how that can hurt the jazz, what he said is true, utahs party scene compared to miami etc is not the same, just sad that people are basing life decisions off of this

do they want to ball or party?

Bucsfan
03-28-2011, 08:04 PM
so why wouldnt you want to live/play in utah then jewelz??

(and btw, when a player plays for a city, who said they need to live here? john stockton didnt)

King P
03-28-2011, 08:06 PM
It's sad people care more about where they are playing then winning. Like when nobody wanted to come play with Lebron when he was with the Cavs.

Then again, I guess that will make it easier for D-Will to recruit others with the Nets :D

ChI_ShIzzLe
03-28-2011, 08:07 PM
God the NBA is becoming infested with a bunch of *******. I mean seriously? You're going there to do your job and make millions of dollars from October to May. During that time the priority should only be basketball and working hard to help your team win games. Theres 4 months, basically the whole summer and more, to go and live wherever the hell you wanna live and do whatever the **** you want. These douchebags need to wake up and realize how fortunate they are compared to most people.

xxcubs22xx
03-28-2011, 08:08 PM

this

Bucsfan
03-28-2011, 08:10 PM
God the NBA is becoming infested with a bunch of *******. I mean seriously? You're going there to do your job and make millions of dollars from October to May. During that time the priority should only be basketball and working hard to help your team win games. Theres 4 months, basically the whole summer and more, to go and live wherever the hell you wanna live and do whatever the **** you want. These douchebags need to wake up and realize how fortunate they are compared to most people.

good post :clap:

i know this has already been discussed but it doesnt seem players in other sports have this issue, i dont get it

John Walls Era
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Personally if I was a player, I wouldn't mind playing in Utah. At least its safe and seems like a decent place to have your kids grow up in.... but most nba players don't care about that.

Sync
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Orly?

MelkyNYY
03-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't understand how people can be hyper-critical of NBA players for prioritizing different things. Some players prioritize their children's future, other players prioritize winning, other players want money (media exposure), and other players want to maximize their social life with a booming social scene.

A lot of fans like to think that every single player puts winning above everything else. That's not true. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Basketball is a job. You pick the location that's best for you and your family. For most NBA players, UTAH isn't that location. It's not a big media market and it doesn't have a big social scene. Other players won't care about that. But getting mad at players for not having the priorities you want them to have is silly.

Byronicle
03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
thanks Deron, I am certainly not dropping by Utah on my road trips...but don't they have polygamist? There should be mad parties

HoopsDrive
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't understand how people can be hyper-critical of NBA players for prioritizing different things. Some players prioritize their children's future, other players prioritize winning, other players want money (media exposure), and other players want to maximize their social life with a booming social scene.

A lot of fans like to think that every single player puts winning above everything else. That's not true. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Basketball is a job. You pick the location that's best for you and your family. For most NBA players, UTAH isn't that location. It's not a big media market and it doesn't have a big social scene. Other players won't care about that. But getting mad at players for not having the priorities you want them to have is silly.

well said

AddiX
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Great food and restaurants? What kind of dog crap has he been eating his whole life, I've never tasted worse food in my life than when I went to Utah.

That's why Deron got his butt shipped to Newark, where he get his nasty greasy taper fixed up daily.

WickedBadMan
03-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I usually read past those but these shoes are pretty cheap. But I look at the site quality and doubt I would ever see them.

nickdymez
03-28-2011, 08:40 PM

players are ********, we are 5 hours from Las Vegas and salt lakes party sections arent like NY or LA but who cares, you have millions of dollars!!!! fly somewhere when you want to party! its not hard

lmao

FlakeyFool
03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
He said nothing that would be considered douche-esq

gilly
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd hope that people wouldn't criticise me if, for example, I was offered a job in Iowa and a job in Manhattan and took the job in Manhattan. It's no slight on Iowa or places like that at all, it's just that when you're trying to sell a place like Salt Lake City over New York, Boston, Chicago or Miami, it's gonna fall short in terms of what a 20-30 year old famous NBA player wants out of his life.

Jewelz has every right to say he doesn't wanna live in Utah as anyone, if it doesn't fit with what you want then you have the choice to turn it down, simple as that. It's not racist, that's a stupid thing to say. At worst it's close minded, but only because he didn't at least visit.

jrm2054
03-28-2011, 09:47 PM
this is pretty obvious no surprise

Jahari Kavi
03-28-2011, 11:04 PM

I disagree....just because you're making a certain amount of money (or gaining privileges) doesn't mean you should have to play somewhere that doesn't suit your personal interests.....I'm a grad student who gets my school paid for in a city where I'm somewhat comfortable at ....I can tell you right now, I don't care if I got accepted into a grad program in Salt Lake City that paid for my school and gave me a great stipend....I wouldn't be going......our social lives are a big part of our lives, especially at a young age........the NBA season is long, some of the offseason is spent in training camp and other team functions, so you can't blame someone for wanting to play in a particular place for whatever reason.......

hgtiger32
03-28-2011, 11:08 PM
utah had a really nice core there, so idk why a bunch of those top players didn't at least think of going to play in utah

NJ Raven
03-28-2011, 11:11 PM
No one is going to want to play in Jersey after he leaves next summer......... (pessimist)

DodgerBulls
03-28-2011, 11:19 PM

Exactly. Who'd want to go to a party and do all of those things? You will probably be beat up before you get to party. Remember, these are still people, young people who wants to just live out life.

so you have never been to utah yet you are ready to judge it? sounds like your more of a racist and ignorant than anything

I've been to Utah, southern part and Salt Lake and Park City. Very nice place, scenic especially when driving from Salt Lake to Park City during winter/spring time. I just don't know if the city has a lot to offer for non-family type of people.

Jewelz0376
03-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Where did you end up going?

Org committed to SD State...but mom had health issues going on, so I ended up going to Portland state since it was within driving distance of Seattle (where she lived)

DenButsu
03-28-2011, 11:47 PM
“I tried to tell people it’s a great city. If you want to go out and party every night, it’s not where you want to be."

Well then right there, it's not where probably about 85% of the players want to be, I'd guess. From what I understand, NBA players kinda sorta like to party.

Jewelz0376
03-28-2011, 11:51 PM
I disagree....just because you're making a certain amount of money (or gaining privileges) doesn't mean you should have to play somewhere that doesn't suit your personal interests.....I'm a grad student who gets my school paid for in a city where I'm somewhat comfortable at ....I can tell you right now, I don't care if I got accepted into a grad program in Salt Lake City that paid for my school and gave me a great stipend....I wouldn't be going......our social lives are a big part of our lives, especially at a young age........the NBA season is long, some of the offseason is spent in training camp and other team functions, so you can't blame someone for wanting to play in a particular place for whatever reason.......

This

You want to go to a place that fits your lifestyle and where you and your family (in nba players case) will be most comfortable.. Most people that grew up and/or prefer Urban areas aren't going to have Utah atop of their preferred destinations...

SteveNash
03-28-2011, 11:53 PM
so you have never been to utah yet you are ready to judge it? sounds like your more of a racist and ignorant than anything

Sounds pretty smart to me. Who would want to go to a state controlled by a religion whose founder taught that dark skin was a mark of sin?

mjokc
03-29-2011, 03:04 AM
Sorry, but nobody wants to live in Utah.

championships
03-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Jazz in rebuild mode now. Might be awhile before they're even relevant.

Lim
03-29-2011, 03:38 AM
since when do basketball players in the NBA even have time to party? the schedule is crazy. only time they have to party is in the off season and most players fly back to their home town in the off season anyways.

championships
03-29-2011, 03:39 AM
In the people's defense, it's 92.7% white and 1.4% black.Not knocking Utah as I have never been there, but even if that is what he was thinking - it's not far off from the truth.

Maybe this is why it's so safe. hahahahahaha

Just sayin..lol :hide:

Antipod
03-29-2011, 03:58 AM
After getting Sloan fired, now he`s indirectly bashing the City and practically saying that no top agent will sign sign for Utah ... Wow Deron, just please shut up, you already harmed enough your ex team.

COOLbeans
03-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Personally if I was a player, I wouldn't mind playing in Utah. At least its safe and seems like a decent place to have your kids grow up in.... but most nba players don't care about that.

really. most nba players? did you take a poll?

imo i think this is more of an issue coming from the spoiled stars of league. most nba players are probably more family oriented and less into partying than you think.

thaShady
03-29-2011, 06:07 AM
really. most nba players? did you take a poll?

imo i think this is more of an issue coming from the spoiled stars of league. most nba players are probably more family oriented and less into partying than you think.

Kobe doesn't party AT ALL.... maybe they aren't "stars" because they spend TOO MUCH time partying?

TheDiggler
03-29-2011, 06:38 AM
That's the most stupid excuse ever.

I want to party !? Come on ! How dumb is that ? You can party EVERYWHERE. And besides that, you are basketball-player and not a million-dollar-paid-partymachine ! What kind of FA's is Deron talking about ? Latrell Sprewell ?

If you would want to win: At that time... Sloan, Jefferson and Millsap were good pieces besides Deron for any FA to play along with. Everybody that chooses "partying" over winning is a dumbass.

And btw: The greatest party, is the one, after you won a ring ... ;)

magichatnumber9
03-29-2011, 07:56 AM
It didn't sound like a bash. More of an endorsement. Maybe he should of had his wife do the recruiting. Mark Tex's wife, Cliff Lee's wife, Grant Hill's wife all make the decision where there spouses play.

JasonJohnHorn
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I am actually impressed with how reasonable and complimentary D-Will was in this statement. I thought there might have been some hard feelings.

Cheers to D-Will's maturity. Though as a Sloan fan I am still wondering what the story was behind the scenes over all this.

davidst.hubbins
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry, but nobody wants to live in Utah.

Says the dude from Oklahoma.

jkiddvc20
03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
No one is going to want to play in Jersey after he leaves next summer......... (pessimist)

Well Mr Negative they will not be in Jersey...

Mc Uncle Cola
03-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Hahahaha welll newark is 10min from NYC (The Greatest City in the World) and 1 hour drive down the parkway to Atlantic City ...Hmmmm i say Jersey

Dade County
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Nice ^^^ :cool:

Crackadalic
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Players can choose to play where they want. Some like nice quiet areas and some like face pace type areas. Even if they didnt have a choice we cant knock them for where they feel they want to play at

b_russ
03-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Aww! Beat me to it!

Klivlend
03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe this is why it's so safe. hahahahahaha

Just sayin..lol :hide:

seriously, **** you.

Sly Guy
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Not sure about this either. NBA players love Toronto as a place to party, but Toronto doesn't attract free agents either.

LionsFan..LOL
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
If anything D-Will gaves props to Utah, he didn't **** on it.

Lo Porto
03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
There are good players who would love to play in Utah, but I doubt Deron was talking those guys. He was probably talking to those ignorant guys who believe in all the stereotypes of Utah. A ton of guys would love to play in Utah, and Utah fans don't want those guys who are afraid of untrue stereotypes.

Arch Stanton
03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
It reminds me of when Lebron was in Cleveland, and he was trying to recruit people to come with play with him, and nobody wanted to come.

Except LeBron never recruited anyone to play in Cleveland. But he did for Miami.

http://concede330.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/lebron-james-turns-up-the-heat-on-the-cavaliers/

iam brett favre
03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
:( I miss himn so much

mjokc
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Oklahoma City > anything in Utah

COOLbeans
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Except LeBron never recruited anyone to play in Cleveland. But he did for Miami.

http://concede330.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/lebron-james-turns-up-the-heat-on-the-cavaliers/

what a joke. lebron :facepalm:

nothappyinut
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I use to live in Utah for 26 years and most the comments on here are just ignorant and stupid. First of all yeah there is a lot of Mormons and if you plan on playin for Utah state it was because you sucked and couldn't get into u of u. Utah state is located in one of the most religious part of the state. Salt lake is very different and park city good luck finding Mormons there. Also polygamy?? Dude there is more polygamy going on in Texas and arizona then Utah just another dumb ace tryin to talk like he knows something but knows very little. Utah has some clubs and crap but for the most part its a family oriented state. Like Bucafan said your only 8 hours from Vegas party all you want there. Last the guy that said their food sucked you are also an idiot I'm guessing you couldn't afford to go to the nice restaurant so you settled for mcdonalds well hate to burst your bubble but mcdonalds sucks no matter where you're at. Don't blame your short comings on a state!!!! I didnt find anything offensive of what dwill said but I seriously doubt he was recuriting players that wasn't named melo Amari bosh Lebron and obviously they wasn't going to sign they want all the fame of playing in a big market which is their choice.

nothappyinut
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Oklahoma City > anything in Utah

Oklahoma are you kidding me keep telling yourself that at least Utah has something going for them with the scenery and it's a great place to raise a family. I'm sure the Olympics will be in Oklahoma real soon. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma is the trailer Capitol of the united states. It takes 10-12 people to get together to make a full set of teeth. Maybe I'm just over looking something.

mjokc
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Oklahoma are you kidding me keep telling yourself that at least Utah has something going for them with the scenery and it's a great place to raise a family. I'm sure the Olympics will be in Oklahoma real soon. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma is the trailer Capitol of the united states. It takes 10-12 people to get together to make a full set of teeth. Maybe I'm just over looking something.

Typical ignorant PSD poster. Oklahoma is one of the most diverse scenic states in the nation. From deserts, to mountains, forests, ridges, valleys, lakes etc. Maybe you should actually do some research before looking like an idiot. However, I'm speaking strictly OKC vs SLC. Oklahoma City is an excellent city to raise a family in. Oh, and I love the ignorant stereotypes about Oklahoma. I'm sure everyone in Utah is Mormon right?

jcheefness23
03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Exactly what I think

koreancabbage
03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Typical ignorant PSD poster. Oklahoma is one of the most diverse scenic states in the nation. From deserts, to mountains, forests, ridges, valleys, lakes etc. Maybe you should actually do some research before looking like an idiot. However, I'm speaking strictly OKC vs SLC. Oklahoma City is an excellent city to raise a family in. Oh, and I love the ignorant stereotypes about Oklahoma. I'm sure everyone in Utah is Mormon right?

who cares? you can ponder about life and stuff but these guys are living the life of partying, other sporting events etc.

sure OKC might be a nice place, but in reality i doubt its a top 10 city for an NBA player in terms of living there (Durant and Westbrook had no choice for they were drafted, but talking about FAs)

they're young, maybe when they are at the end of their careers, then sure, but noone really wants to stay in an organization in a city where having sex before marriage is looked down upon. (Utah)

nothappyinut
03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
About 70% so good assumption oh and I'm not basing Oklahoma off what I've heard it's what I've seen so defend all you want but I have witnesses it all with my own eyes multiple times.

nothappyinut
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
who cares? you can ponder about life and stuff but these guys are living the life of partying, other sporting events etc.

sure OKC might be a nice place, but in reality i doubt its a top 10 city for an NBA player in terms of living there (Durant and Westbrook had no choice for they were drafted, but talking about FAs)

they're young, maybe when they are at the end of their careers, then sure, but noone really wants to stay in an organization in a city where having sex before marriage is looked down upon. (Utah)

Thats byu you idiot not the jazz and last I checked byu was a private school and can make whatever rules they want if you cant follow those rules don't sign on the dotted line. Please know what you're talking about before running your mouth. Many religions preach abstinence you tool.

sep11ie
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Yea, and they USED to have a great coach...

jcheefness23
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I use to live in Utah for 26 years and most the comments on here are just ignorant and stupid. First of all yeah there is a lot of Mormons and if you plan on playin for Utah state it was because you sucked and couldn't get into u of u. Utah state is located in one of the most religious part of the state. Salt lake is very different and park city good luck finding Mormons there. Also polygamy?? Dude there is more polygamy going on in Texas and arizona then Utah just another dumb ace tryin to talk like he knows something but knows very little. Utah has some clubs and crap but for the most part its a family oriented state. Like Bucafan said your only 8 hours from Vegas party all you want there. Last the guy that said their food sucked you are also an idiot I'm guessing you couldn't afford to go to the nice restaurant so you settled for mcdonalds well hate to burst your bubble but mcdonalds sucks no matter where you're at. Don't blame your short comings on a state!!!! I didnt find anything offensive of what dwill said but I seriously doubt he was recuriting players that wasn't named melo Amari bosh Lebron and obviously they wasn't going to sign they want all the fame of playing in a big market which is their choice.

Great post about a lot of things. But more mormons at utah state/cache valley than in byu/provo? You're *****ting me right? And the cant get into utah, go play for utah state story gets old. Why isnt your bball team better than utah state then? I know usu is not a better all around sport university but who cares about all the other lame sports? I know utah state only has bball but still...

Bucsfan
03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

lol looked down upon? i cant think of one person i know that didnt have sex before marriage (even people at byu do,shocking i know)

utah is just horrible though, garbage city, thats why the 2002 olympics came here

and seriously these nba players need a gps or something, Park City is a pretty fun party city, very high class, alot of celebrities go there, its just not on TMZ because its more of a getaway, but hey if they want to play in places where they could get shot and killed then so be it

Bucsfan
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Great post about a lot of things. But more mormons at utah state/cache valley than in byu/provo? You're *****ting me right? And the cant get into utah, go play for utah state story gets old. Why isnt your bball team better than utah state then? I know usu is not a better all around sport university but who cares about all the other lame sports? I know utah state only has bball but still...

there basketball program IS better than utah state overall, how many championships does USU have? or Final Four appearances?

the program right now hasnt done good, but not that long ago we had a guy named Bogut...short term memory issues?

mjokc
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Duh, when compared to big cities like LA, Chi, Ny, Dallas etc of course no free agent would choose OKC. But unless you are one of the big cities listed above I think it's pretty much about the status of the team. However, Utah would be the worst, most boring place to live for an NBA free agent. Say what you will about OKC but we are pretty diverse. Plenty of blacks, hispanics, whites, asians. Lots of clubs, parties all kinds of stuff to get into. Utah? wtf are you doing in ****ing Utah, I doubt many NBA players are into skiing or going to mormon church.

nothappyinut
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I said Utah state was located in one of the most religious parts of the state of course Provo is probably the top of the list on Mormon population but Logan is not far behind. So I never once said Logan had more Mormon population than Provo it just has a lot in the top five city's for sure

Bucsfan
03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Duh, when compared to big cities like LA, Chi, Ny, Dallas etc of course no free agent would choose OKC. But unless you are one of the big cities listed above I think it's pretty much about the status of the team. However, Utah would be the worst, most boring place to live for an NBA free agent. Say what you will about OKC but we are pretty diverse. Plenty of blacks, hispanics, whites, asians. Lots of clubs, parties all kinds of stuff to get into. Utah? wtf are you doing in ****ing Utah, I doubt many NBA players are into skiing or going to mormon church.

dumbest post of the year, you obviously have never been to utah

ive lived here most of my life and never been to mormon church, we have TONS of stuff to do, race tracks, 5 hours from Vegas (you know that gigantic party city) 30 mins from Park City (lots of rich people and clubs)any outdoor activity you can imagine, salt lake is not boring trust me

to say utah isnt diverse is nuts, we have a ton of hispanic people, and lots of europeans, and if blacks dont want to live here then what are we going to do, put them in trucks and ship them in so people are more attracted to coming here? thats dumb

nothappyinut
03-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Oh yeah they are diverse I mean they have 8% black people 80% whites and Utah has 90% whites and 1 % blacks. What a huge leap. That screams diversity oh and Utah doesn't have anything to do hey I was thinking of going to sundance now exactly where is that located in Oklahoma

mjokc
03-29-2011, 01:06 PM
dumbest post of the year, you obviously have never been to utah

ive lived here most of my life and never been to mormon church, we have TONS of stuff to do, race tracks, 5 hours from Vegas (you know that gigantic party city) 30 mins from Park City (lots of rich people and clubs)any outdoor activity you can imagine, salt lake is not boring trust me

to say utah isnt diverse is nuts, we have a ton of hispanic people, and lots of europeans, and if blacks dont want to live here then what are we going to do, put them in trucks and ship them in so people are more attracted to coming here? thats dumb

I was in Salt Lake City for 3 weeks on a business trip. The most depressing 3 weeks of my life. I didn't see any population other than white. Not saying anything wrong with that, just in response to you saying a lot of hispanics live there.

jcheefness23
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Im not going to say anything bad about okc. I really didnt know they were so diverse. Please realize if your comparing scenic states, I wouldnt compare utah vs anybody. Basically thats all utah has over everybody in my opinion. 5 national parks and they're all amazing. Check them out.

As far as city life, I live in a small city, but slc is really not all that great. Better than where I live but there isn't a ton to do. Unless you're into outdoors there is not much. But there are clubs and nice ones at that. I don't see why players can't play here. You have 5 months where you can do whatever the hell you want.

As far as mormons (im not) but I wouldn't be ashamed to be either. They're nice and they are not polygamist.lol. They get a bad rap. My family has season jazz tickets, though I'm a bulls fan,i go every ovw in a while. there are just as many people drinking beer, which mormons can't do, than in any other state...

mjokc
03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Im not going to say anything bad about okc. I really didnt know they were so diverse. Please realize if your comparing scenic states, I wouldnt compare utah vs anybody. Basically thats all utah has over everybody in my opinion. 5 national parks and they're all amazing. Check them out.

As far as city life, I live in a small city, but slc is really not all that great. Better than where I live but there isn't a ton to do. Unless you're into outdoors there is not much. But there are clubs and nice ones at that. I don't see why players can't play here. You have 5 months where you can do whatever the hell you want.

As far as mormons (im not) but I wouldn't be ashamed to be either. They're nice and they are not polygamist.lol. They get a bad rap. My family has season jazz tickets, though I'm a bulls fan,i go every ovw in a while. there are just as many people drinking beer, which mormons can't do, than in any other state...

I will agree about Utah as far as scenery goes, but I'm talking about a city to live in for a free agent. Yeah, OKC is very diverse, if it makes any difference i'm black and there are plenty like me here, lol about 80,000 of us. Tons of clubs here, especially downtown. OKC population is a little over 550,000 so it's a medium sized city not a small town like most people assume. Of course when compared to cities like LA, NY, Chi, OKC is a little city. I just find it funny when people from Portland, SLC, Denver, Seattle etc try to bad mouth OKC when OKC is the same size if not bigger.

jcheefness23
03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I was in Salt Lake City for 3 weeks on a business trip. The most depressing 3 weeks of my life. I didn't see any population other than white. Not saying anything wrong with that, just in response to you saying a lot of hispanics live there.

Racist much? Haha jk that's cause all the mexicans know they won't get sent back to their country! Oooooohh! Lol jk relax. Im not racist and I enjoy having them.

Sorry it was so depressing joakim noah! Okay, now I'm on a roll! I'm mean its not the ideal city life, but its not like there are farmers everywhere. Its perfect for me so whateva

Mudvayne91
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't be getting too man Jazz fans. I've accepted the fact that there are a lot of idiots on this site. Majority of the people talking crap are either like 14 or uneducated wannabe gangsters that persist on using words like hater for response. Either way, consider the source. I wouldn't be losing sleep over it.

jcheefness23
03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I said Utah state was located in one of the most religious parts of the state of course Provo is probably the top of the list on Mormon population but Logan is not far behind. So I never once said Logan had more Mormon population than Provo it just has a lot in the top five city's for sure

Right on man, misunderstood

Punk
03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Well, I guess he will do his partying in the Jersey Shore. Brook Lopez is the new Snooki.

jcheefness23
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
there basketball program IS better than utah state overall, how many championships does USU have? or Final Four appearances?

the program right now hasnt done good, but not that long ago we had a guy named Bogut...short term memory issues?

Utah has a championship? Early 1900.s I guess. Usu has 0, but its not like you should be talking, you have like 2. That like you comparing you to duke. I did make a mistake. I should have said in the last decade. My bad.
Also, usu **** on bogut

SteveNash
03-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Didn't LeBron try to get Michael Redd to come to Cleveland?

lol looked down upon? i cant think of one person i know that didnt have sex before marriage (even people at byu do,shocking i know)

utah is just horrible though, garbage city, thats why the 2002 olympics came here

Winning an Olympic bid does not make your city great.

Evolution23
03-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Well, I guess he will do his partying in the Jersey Shore. Brook Lopez is the new Snooki.

LOL:clap:

lkingratedr
03-29-2011, 05:21 PM
if i were an NBA free agent im sorry utah would probably be on the bottom of my list deron or no deron it just seems like the city is so boring i understand ill only be in the city a few days out the year but damn it i dont think id be able to stay there especially not with bigger market teams out there willing to spend ... id rather play on a contender for less money than play on the jazz for a max contract plus just because of the city

lkingratedr
03-29-2011, 05:24 PM

LOL classic :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anilyzer
03-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Deron Williams was being rather nice with what he said. He was careful not to criticize the city of Utah or be judgemental. He was just passing along his observation that many free agents didn't want to go there; Deron says Utah is fine, so those free agents could've been making a mistake.

I mean "clubs" is a broad term; it kind of just means a diverse crowd of people hanging out, dancing, drinking, talking... If there's no "clubs" then a lot of people will just be paired up in monogamous relationships, there won't be as much of a "singles scene" etc.

Additionally, in a city like LA, you can be sitting in a club with 3-4 white girls, asian girls, black girls, every kind of girl, and you could walk around town or sleep with a different one everyday or multiple girls at once and nobody will care.

In some more conservative places, if you check into a hotel with a girl, they want to see proof of marriage. Some states also actually have "sodomy" laws on the books, that make it a felony to have oral, anal and in some cases any non-missionary sex.

Utah in fact does have some "sodomy" laws on the books:

In 1913, the Utah Supreme Court was presented with the legality of fellatio in the case of State v. Johnson. After beginning the opinion, for unclear reasons, by stating that defendant Johnson was "a negro," and reviewing the case law in England and the United States on the subject of fellatio, the Court reluctantly concluded that, while

we, from the standpoint of decency and morals, fully concur in all that these and other courts have said regarding the loathsome and revolting character and enormity of the act charged, yet we cannot, in the absence of legislative enactment making such acts criminal and punishable, denounce and punish them as crimes. To do so would be in effect be judicial legislation.

also, if you're gay it should be obvious that Utah is probably not the place for you:

It enacted its first code of laws in 18512 as the "State of Deseret." Included was a criminal code that prohibited "any man or boy" from having, or attempting to have, "any sexual intercourse with any of the male creation." The penalty was set at fine or imprisonment "as the court may direct." This law, though probably not valid since Utah was a territory and not a state, nevertheless evidently permitted prosecution for fellatio. The "any sexual intercourse" term seemed broad enough to permit it. This would have been only the second such law in the nation.

http://www.glapn.org/sodomylaws/sensibilities/utah.htm

Also, if you are from an urban area with a fast paced urban background, you might not like the change of pace. And I don't know... if you are categorized as "non-white" do you get weird stares from people when you walk around with white girl(s) that you are obviously sleeping with? Do nosey grocery checkout ladies ask you when you are getting married? That kind of stuff?

Just saying. But yeah... if you're from LA/NY or something and have to go to Utah, it must be an adjustment. Like playing in Turkey or something. Different kind of place right? That being said, it could be perfectly fine and I have never heard of anything really bad happening in Utah, so I wouldn't say that any of this is an excuse to leave there or not play there.