PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Could Pull Billups $14.3M Contract For 11-12

fadedmario
03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Chauncey Billups may not be guaranteed his $14.3 million payday for the 11-12 season after all.

When Billups was traded to the Knicks, Donnie Walsh declined agent Andy Miller's offer to reach agreement on the final guaranteed year, which has become a better move in hindsight.

The Knicks could Billups out at $3 million and use cap space to pursue a big man such as DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol, two players Walsh has identified. Because of New York's struggles, Billups could conceivably be more amicable to becoming a free agent to sign elsewhere.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/chauncey_daze_could_be_numbered_FYvH6pRTu1p17aumEH jQuK

Thoughts?

AddiX
03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
He started off great on new York, but since he's come back from the injury it almost seems like he wants to give games away. He's turning the ball over, chucking up bad shots, missing everything, getting burned on a normal basis. It's really mind boggling tbh.

nycericanguy
03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
It all depends on the new CBA. If the new CBA does not allow NY to sign a 3rd max like DWil, CP3 or Howard then NY might be better off going after solid role players.

But then other than Gasol there aren't many options and MEM is sure to match. Tough situation but worst case NY waits until 2012 and then they have more cap space

DieHardColtsfan
03-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I would welcome this move. I have a feeling Billups isn't to thrilled about playing in NY anyway.

sep11ie
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
It's so hard to sign a good young RFA. I don't see them moving...

SteveNash
03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
How big would DeAndre Jordan's contract be :confused:

D-Leethal
03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
If we can get Jordan or Gasol than no way you pick up his option........draft a PG or let TD take the rains get a get a distributing veteran backup.......I love Chauncey and he has always been one of my favorite players but Douglas was playing great while he was out, he looks horrible since hes been back and quite frankly with the influx of quick speedy PGs the last few years he really looks like an old man playing a young mans game and can't keep up.......

nycericanguy
03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
RIGHT NOW, and obviously this could change, but right now Tony Douglas is playing much better than Billups. If NY can add a legit big man alongside Amare I am fine Douglas as the PG and maybe drafting a PG to back him up.

king4day
03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe they can sign Gasol and get involved in a multi-team deal that would land them Nash (since they don't have enough to get Nash, but maybe another team would covet fields that would help make all teams happy).

As far as big men are concerned, I'd be very surprised if Robin Lopez is a Sun next season. He could be a decent fit in NY. He'll be extremely cheap and we know he did well with Amar'e in Phoenix, so you never know.

nycericanguy
03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Maybe they can sign Gasol and get involved in a multi-team deal that would land them Nash (since they don't have enough to get Nash, but maybe another team would covet fields that would help make all teams happy).

As far as big men are concerned, I'd be very surprised if Robin Lopez is a Sun next season. He could be a decent fit in NY. He'll be extremely cheap and we know he did well with Amar'e in Phoenix, so you never know.

thats good to hear as a KNick fan. I've felt like he'd be a perfect fit for us for a while.

why don't you guys want him? is he a FA? RFA?

AddiX
03-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Honestly, after this season I want this team to move away from anything mike d related. So I want no part of Lopez, or Nash.

Gasols value has dropped like a rock this yr, not sure what Jordan is worth, neither will be cheap.

nycericanguy
03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Honestly, after this season I want this team to move away from anything mike d related. So I want no part of Lopez, or Nash.

Gasols value has dropped like a rock this yr, not sure what Jordan is worth, neither will be cheap.

the fact that MEM is about to give Z-bo big money after signing Gay to an $80m deal gives me slight hope that maybe Gasol becomes available.

ttam68
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Yup, thats how options work. Thank you for another necessary Knicks thread.

DoMeFavors
03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
WOW that would be bad
DeAndre Jordan an athletic big man next to another atheltic big man, who averages 7 and 6 in 25 minutes. If Knicks want to overpay for him thats fine by me. If I was I was Knicks I would sign Caron Butler as a SG and then sign a decent big man like Dalembert.

chicago lulz
03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
edit: actually I'll retract my statement

Punk
03-28-2011, 05:43 PM
He's staying here. I don't get this speculation just because he is struggling. He loves it here, he wants to be apart of it and he's been what's lacking with this team.

DoMeFavors
03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
He's staying here. I don't get this speculation just because he is struggling. He loves it here, he wants to be apart of it and he's been what's lacking with this team.

You do know we are talking about Billups right? I hope NY buys him out and he signs with Miami. He is just what they need.

gotoHcarolina52
03-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Chauncey Billups may not be guaranteed his $14.3 million payday for the 11-12 season after all.

When Billups was traded to the Knicks, Donnie Walsh declined agent Andy Miller's offer to reach agreement on the final guaranteed year, which has become a better move in hindsight.

The Knicks could Billups out at $3 million and use cap space to pursue a big man such as DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol, two players Walsh has identified. Because of New York's struggles, Billups could conceivably be more amicable to becoming a free agent to sign elsewhere.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/chauncey_daze_could_be_numbered_FYvH6pRTu1p17aumEH jQuK

Thoughts?

I think the word you're looking for is "amenable."

IAmKira
03-28-2011, 06:29 PM
WOW that would be bad
DeAndre Jordan an athletic big man next to another atheltic big man, who averages 7 and 6 in 25 minutes. If Knicks want to overpay for him thats fine by me. If I was I was Knicks I would sign Caron Butler as a SG and then sign a decent big man like Dalembert.

You just contradicted yourself. If you're gonna sign Butler, you would have to pay him a decent amount. Why pay for a swingman when u already have melo and fields when you can invest it in a big man like jordans whom will cost you just as much. :facepalm:

GoneGuru
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
if the knicks dump billups like a bunch of morons, hes automatically going to the heat.

so i say its a great move for the knicks, they should do it and go after 2 restricted free agents whose current team has said they will certainly resign or match damn near any offer made for jordan or gasol.

sarcasm of course

CowboysKB24
03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
They need to get rid of his contract. He is not worth nearly that much.