PDA

View Full Version : Will owners allow Nba players to go to London if theres a season lockout?

Hellcrooner
03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Thats the basis, no agreement is reached and the 2011-2012 season is not played AT ALL ( it has happened before, i think in Nhl? or was it Mlb? i dont remember)

Do you think owners allow nba players to go to the Olympics?

They ahve to CLEAR the players to play with their national teams ( cuban has denyed permission to Dirk in the past and other players have faced the same problem.)

This includes USA team members of course.

It would be a pity because it will make the Olympic competition weak with no Nbaers Team usa and All the good foreign players not being able to rep their countrys.

But im thinking is quite posible owners would not allow them to, or at least use it as leverage against Players asotiation in the negotiations.

What do you think?

The Jokemaker
03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Well here's how I see it. Owners lockout players. Players should then be allowed to do whatever you want. If you lockout players, you lose all control over them and can't say anything what they can and can't do. That's like saying "Look, you can't work here and you can't work at these places either because I said so".

However, I don't think the owners will allow this so I voted no but they SHOULD be able to.

Hellcrooner
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Well here's how I see it. Owners lockout players. Players should then be allowed to do whatever you want. If you lockout players, you lose all control over them and can't say anything what they can and can't do. That's like saying "Look, you can't work here and you can't work at these places either because I said so".

However, I don't think the owners will allow this so I voted no but they SHOULD be able to.

That point is unclear.

The gasols have expresed interest in Play In Barcelona if theres a season lock out.

Dirk has expresed interesit in Play in Real madrid if theres a season lockout.

KObe has hinted that he could play in milan the season.

Stern told that they ahve contracts with their nba teams and that in principle they CANT sign for other teams.....

The Jokemaker
03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
That point is unclear.

The gasols have expresed interest in Play In Barcelona if theres a season lock out.

Dirk has expresed interesit in Play in Real madrid if theres a season lockout.

KObe has hinted that he could play in milan the season.

Stern told that they ahve contracts with their nba teams and that in principle they CANT sign for other teams.....

Oh I know they'd be interested. If there is a lockout, who cares what Stern says. The owners have locked out the players saying NO you can't work here. Therefore, regardless of contract, they should be allowed to work elsewhere. In contracts you'd think there'd be some language in there saying if the owners won't allow them to work they can go play elsewhere.

Cano4prez
03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I think players would be allowed too, Ochocinco is playing in the MLS until the lockout is over lol

bulldog312
03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
It doesn't matter what the contracts or bargaining agreements or anything say if they are locked out. None of it applies. The only way the NBA could stop it is if they talk to those other leagues and agree to a deal for them not to hire NBA players.

sjoerdje
03-28-2011, 12:53 PM
i dont think the players will listen to whatever the owners have to say if they lock them out.
many player can play in europe just to make their brands bigger, fill up some arena's and make basketball more popular overall.
IF there is a lockout i certainly hope that will happen.

And i hope Stern gets his behind kicked because of it

sep11ie
03-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Yea, I think all NBA contracts are considered suspended during a lock out.

penuch
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
It is just like the NFL. If there is a lockout, owners nor the league can stop players from pursuing any interest. None of the rules apply. Players are free to do whatever they want.

Allstar21
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
can people just understand the fact that stern and the owners dont give a flying-**** about basketball or even representing the US in the olympics

they care about making more money and gouging more money from the fans and players

asandhu23
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
FIBA is going to gain a lot of popularity.

Steelers23_06
03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
this is what makes nba lockouts different then nfl. they can go overseas and get paid more money then out here so if the nba has a lockout and is trying to low-ball the players can just overseas and get what they want and more. josh childress was making a little less then max contracts out here there just bc he was an nba player. and i kno you guys member lebrons 2 year 100 million dollar contract offer. whos to say he wont take it now that he wouldnt have a solid cashflow. also overseas they dont tax, they pay for living expenses and provide you with a car. now if thats not enticing idk what is. nfl players cant do that. if there is a lockout what do the do goto the ufl or cfl haha what a joke.

Steelers23_06
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
and as for the olympics and everything else the players can do what they want because as soon as there is a work stoppage they are free to do as they please.

rapjuicer06
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
owners have no say in the matter. they can't keep you from getting another job somewhere. its kind of a lay off, you can go about what you want to for that year

theheatles
03-28-2011, 01:41 PM
well, it all really depends on individual contracts, but most would probably be allowed

Dade County
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
The Miami HEAT go play in europe, and the states cheer for them....

Take that haters :)

NYKalltheway
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
The Miami HEAT go play in europe, and the states cheer for them....

Take that haters :)

that's not an option even they wanted to

sjoerdje
03-28-2011, 04:35 PM
this is what makes nba lockouts different then nfl. they can go overseas and get paid more money then out here so if the nba has a lockout and is trying to low-ball the players can just overseas and get what they want and more. josh childress was making a little less then max contracts out here there just bc he was an nba player. and i kno you guys member lebrons 2 year 100 million dollar contract offer. whos to say he wont take it now that he wouldnt have a solid cashflow.also overseas they dont tax, they pay for living expenses and provide you with a car. now if thats not enticing idk what is. nfl players cant do that. if there is a lockout what do the do goto the ufl or cfl haha what a joke

i dont know where you are from, but in europ you pay taxes of about 50% of your income if its above 50.000 euros a year. the only places where you dont pay them is Greece, where they are ****ing ********.

and if there is a huge wave of NBA Players coming this way, expect them to get a lot less then they get now. Only superstars would get like 40/50M a year.

and yes they get you a car, i hope you wont ask what kind:)

Hellcrooner
03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
i dont know where you are from, but in europ you pay taxes of about 50% of your income if its above 50.000 euros a year. the only places where you dont pay them is Greece, where they are ****ing ********.

and if there is a huge wave of NBA Players coming this way, expect them to get a lot less then they get now. Only superstars would get like 40/50M a year.

and yes they get you a car, i hope you wont ask what kind:)
yes you pay taxes but what he is talking bout is this;

Im Nba if you sign a contract of 10 million a year the team pays 10 million to the player and the players then has to pay his taxes so in the end he really earns 5 million

In europe if a team offer you 10 million a year the money is AFTER taxes, it means the team pays 20 million 10 for taxes AND 10 to the player. so in the end the player gets 10 million.

SteveNash
03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
this is what makes nba lockouts different then nfl. they can go overseas and get paid more money then out here so if the nba has a lockout and is trying to low-ball the players can just overseas and get what they want and more. josh childress was making a little less then max contracts out here there just bc he was an nba player. and i kno you guys member lebrons 2 year 100 million dollar contract offer. whos to say he wont take it now that he wouldnt have a solid cashflow. also overseas they dont tax, they pay for living expenses and provide you with a car. now if thats not enticing idk what is. nfl players cant do that. if there is a lockout what do the do goto the ufl or cfl haha what a joke.

Josh Childress was making an average NBA salary in Europe.

yes you pay taxes but what he is talking bout is this;

Im Nba if you sign a contract of 10 million a year the team pays 10 million to the player and the players then has to pay his taxes so in the end he really earns 5 million

In europe if a team offer you 10 million a year the money is AFTER taxes, it means the team pays 20 million 10 for taxes AND 10 to the player. so in the end the player gets 10 million.

Some teams will pay local taxes. But they still get hit for US taxes unless they aren't a US citizen.

Hellcrooner
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Josh Childress was making an average NBA salary in Europe.

Some teams will pay local taxes. But they still get hit for US taxes unless they aren't a US citizen.

1 You only pay taxes in the country you are living in regardless of your nationality ( example My mother only pays taxes in spain even if she is from Venezuela)

2 At any case the team will pay the Us taxes too, when an euro team offer you x money they mean x money they pay all the taxes.

3 Childress was getting like 5 million euros a year free of taxes, thats around 7 million dollars .
I asume that nba players get taxed aroudn 50% so to make the money he was making he woudl ahv eneeded to get a 12 to 14 million dollars a year contract in the nba.
He also had all his expenses, a car and a house paid by the team too.

sincerely think if Top nba players decided to come to europe if theres a full season lockout nba would be in a real trouble.

STARS playing in europe means more income for teams, higher tv contracts to broadcast the games, higer income from sponsors etc wich woudl mean they could PAY SIMILAR salarys too the players than Nba can ( thats the big difference nowdays, nba teams make more money and can pay more salary wages)
If they came here and see how things work here
No draft
No Restricted FA
no need to trade one player for another
you sign for whoever you like for How long you like
you can always ask to be traded to other team just for Money.
you get teh team to pay your taxes.
Less game a week so less injurys adn longer careers.

You have not one but THREE competitions to win each year ( National Cup, National league, Euroleageu)

They would be received like GODS here.

If they came here under similar salarys they might very well decide they like it here better thus Nba woudl disapear.

Im not sure why Nba players are not holding that leverage against the owners.

The Final Boss
03-28-2011, 08:40 PM
A lockout means employees are free to explore other options until a resolution is put in place. Thus freeing players to do ANYTHING they want as their contract is frozen. So why make a stupid thread asking if owners will allow players to play elsewhere? They have absolutely zero say so.

Hellcrooner
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
A lockout means employees are free to explore other options until a resolution is put in place. Thus freeing players to do ANYTHING they want as their contract is frozen. So why make a stupid thread asking if owners will allow players to play elsewhere? They have absolutely zero say so.

thats not what Stern was implying last time he was asked bout the subject.

GoatMilk
03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
^he was probably bluffing

they could do whatever they want. go skydiving, tryout for other sports teams, anything that would be disallowed in current contracts

BoilerMan013
03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Aren't the contracts suspended anyway? The owners are breaking the contract first by not paying the players. There's no way it's legal to stop people from being able to work in their trade.

Hellcrooner
03-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Aren't the contracts suspended anyway? The owners are breaking the contract first by not paying the players. There's no way it's legal to stop people from being able to work in their trade.

Since when is Nba legal?

Im pretty sure Usa college graduates dont have to go to a "draft" when they get their degree adn then forced to sign for Mcdonalds who drafted them for a limited amount of money then have the rights to retain you by offering the same money than NASA for example.

:p