PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Thorton

kjoke
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Since the trade from the Hornets to the Kings, the kid has been stellar/ Yet with Evans looming for a return, what should the kings do? Should evans come of the bench coming into next season, should evans take over the pg postion (even though he may not like it there ) or should one of them be traded?

BallIsAll
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
i think one of them should be traded maybe evans since he has a lot of trade value still although i think it will decline..

kjoke
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, evans for a SF would be good for them

sacgiants1213
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
They should both be the starting guards.

ManRam
03-27-2011, 03:52 PM
First off, isn't Thornton going to be a FA?

You don't bench Evans in favor of Thornton. Plain and simple. I don't care how good Thornton is playing, Evans is their future along with Boogie. He had a bit of a down year compared to his rookie year, but the upside is still so obvious. I still think he's got all-star written all over him.

Tyreke back to PG? That would be my guess. Both starters.

DerekRE_3
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM

You don't bench Evans in favor of Thornton. Plain and simple. I don't care how good Thornton is playing, Evans is their future along with Boogie. He had a bit of a down year compared to his rookie year, but the upside is still so obvious. I still think he's got all-star written all over him.

Tyreke back to PG? That would be my guess. Or Thornton as a 6th man. Assuming he comes back (they need to bring him back).

Restricted free agent, they will re-sign him.

And start both of them. They can figure it out. Thornton can spot up as well as create for himself. He's a very well rounded player. He's even shown he can pass the ball and create shots for others.

kjoke
03-27-2011, 03:55 PM

You don't bench Evans in favor of Thornton. Plain and simple. I don't care how good Thornton is playing, Evans is their future along with Boogie.

Tyreke back to PG? That would be my guess. Or Thornton as a 6th man. Assuming he comes back (they need to bring him back).

I wont act as if thorton is better than evans, but essentially Thornton is a great sg, and even if he does shot alot, lets not act as if evans does not. Starting both would make sense, but (if im correct) didnt evans stat he doesnt want to be there or something? I think it would be beneficial for them to maybe trade evans off when his value is somewhat high.

M.Bibby2.0
03-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Marcus Thornton*

Evans is a very versatile guard, he can play the point and should IMO. > causes nightmare match ups. Evans is still the better player with more upside, and if/when he can get his shot to fall consistently it'll open his game up so much. They should keep both, but a healthy Evans isn't coming off the bench for sure. a three man guard rotation can work here beno/evans/thornton with Evans and Thornton getting about 35 mpg. If they can mesh together they'll be a dangerous backcourt. Not to mention Tyreke can match up with the smaller SF's in the game hes 6'6 and around 220 after all.

DerekRE_3
03-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I wont act as if thorton is better than evans, but essentially Thornton is a great sg, and even if he does shot alot, lets not act as if evans does not. Starting both would make sense, but (if im correct) didnt evans stat he doesnt want to be there or something? I think it would be beneficial for them to maybe trade evans off when his value is somewhat high.

No.

kjoke
03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
No.

Well then I stand corrected lol.

droalex
03-27-2011, 04:00 PM
He's averaging like 20+ PPG since trade. Nice numbers

DerekRE_3
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
He's averaging like 20+ PPG since trade. Nice numbers

22 efficient points a game. Doesn't turn it over much either.

DwayneMVPwade
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
i would play Tyreke at pg and thorton at sg going forward

Furymaker
03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
i can't believe some of you guys actually prefer Thornton ahead of Reke , kid is going to be a monster , he was last year , this one he had troubles with injuries, and yea i would go with PG - Tyreke , SG - Thornton ... they are going to have lottery pick this season i suppose , than why not draft Barnes for that SF spot and you have good young core in Reke , Thornton , Barnes , Cousins ...

FarOutIos
03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Well then I stand corrected lol.

Let me guess... you were hoping the Heat could get Evans. Lol.

What is up with this thread anyway? Trying to start controversy?

Evans and MT will be a good starting duo next year. They both can bring up the ball if needed. Evans is more of a penetrating guard while MT is a better shooter. Both are good defensively.

And how could Evans say he doesn't want to play here next season, when no one even knows where "here" is right now.

Its probably not Sacramento. So I doubt he will be playing here as it stands. Most likely, he will be playing in Anaheim... unless Phil has his way. Then it could be anywhere...

CityofTreez
03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Marcus Thornton has taken over as a King, our go-to-guy since putting on the uniform!

He has upped his defensive presence, and his shooting stroke is amazing. He just keeps impressive game-after-game. I love the trade for Thornton!

M.Bibby2.0
03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
i can't believe some of you guys actually prefer Thornton ahead of Reke , kid is going to be a monster , he was last year , this one he had troubles with injuries, and yea i would go with PG - Tyreke , SG - Thornton ... they are going to have lottery pick this season i suppose , than why not draft Barnes for that SF spot and you have good young core in Reke , Thornton , Barnes , Cousins ...

Yes, Tyreke is better still, maybe not the better scorer right now but in terms of defense, some intangibles I'd say he is better but I'm loving MT right now.

and that young core + Dalembert + a vet :drool:

good topic for my 100th post :)

chicago lulz
03-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Evans
Thornton
Garcia
Cousins
Dalembert

What happened to Thompson? Looked like he was going to be something a year or two ago. If he was playing at the level he once was, he would look nice in that starting lineup.

shizzle09
03-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Where was this crap earlier dammit? Had him in fantasy leagues thinking he was gonna bust out after the tear he went on last year but no. I drop him and of course he gets traded and now the guy im playing in fantasy playoffs has him. but yeah, thornton is a legit scorer.

DerekRE_3
03-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Evans
Thornton
Garcia
Cousins
Dalembert

What happened to Thompson? Looked like he was going to be something a year or two ago. If he was playing at the level he once was, he would look nice in that starting lineup.

Cousins and Dalembert makes them better defensively. Thompson is nothing more than a 3rd big on a decent team. He has the size/athleticism to play the 4 and 5 but he's just not starting quality. Good role player though who is VERY active and always runs the floor.

Master Mind
03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Ideal for the Kings

Evans
Thornton
*Derrick Williams
Thompson
Cousins

*Assuming the Kings are in position to draft him

IversonIsKrazy
03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
PG - 'Reke SG - THorton
Sign Callipari as HC and help turn 'Reke into a star PG

CityofTreez
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Ideal for the Kings

Evans
Thornton
*Derrick Williams
Thompson
Cousins

*Assuming the Kings are in position to draft him

This is what I am slowly leaning towards, but I would also love to see how Williams plays at both SF/PF. That way, we could experiment with Casspi at SF, and Williams at PF.

All assuming we draft him:
Reke
Thornton
Casspi
Williams
Cousins

Sportfan
03-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Thornton is a beast, he was a beast in NOH too but they never used him to his capability. I made a thread right after the trade went down about how great Thornton will be and I was right.

Plus, he's more than one dimensional scorer. He's racked up almost 4 assists per game

On a side note, my redraft team derserves a lot more cred. D-will/Thornton/Granger/Jamison/McGee is better than a 7th seed

Sportfan
03-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Also, Kings shouldn't look for a Derrick Williams type player. Reke, Thornton, Cousins are all ball-demanding guys anyway.

They should look for a more defensive player

chicago lulz
03-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Cousins and Dalembert makes them better defensively. Thompson is nothing more than a 3rd big on a decent team. He has the size/athleticism to play the 4 and 5 but he's just not starting quality. Good role player though who is VERY active and always runs the floor.

Makes sense. I dig the Kings. Feel like they can become a nice team as Tyreke, Thornton, Cousins develop and such.

Savage Sunday
03-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Thornton is gone.

I know for sure some team is going to give him big money this offseason just like Wes Matthews last year.

DerekRE_3
03-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Thornton is gone.

I know for sure some team is going to give him big money this offseason just like Wes Matthews last year.

Restricted FA, just like Matthews. They can match any offer. And I bet the Kings would gladly give Thornton 6 mil a year like Matthews got, that's not that bad at all. He's playing just as good as a guy like Kevin Martin that makes $10 mil a year.

Savage Sunday
03-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Restricted FA, just like Matthews. They can match any offer. And I bet the Kings would gladly give Thornton 6 mil a year like Matthews got, that's not that bad at all. He's playing just as good as a guy like Kevin Martin that makes $10 mil a year.

When was the last time Sacramento matched a RFA Offer Sheet? ;)

DerekRE_3
03-28-2011, 02:09 AM
When was the last time Sacramento matched a RFA Offer Sheet? ;)

They haven't had to. They extended Francisco Garcia and Kevin Martin before it came to that. They gave Garcia pretty much the same deal Matthews just signed a few years ago. They signed Martin to a 5 year $55 million deal. Spencer Hawes they traded before they had to re-sign him, Jason Thompson and Donte Greene still have time before they hit free agency, same with Reke. Quincy Douby was released before he ever sniffed an extension. There, I just went through the Kings draft history the past 7 years and covered all potential RFA's they have had in that time frame.

They just acquired Thornton and won't have a chance to offer him an extension before he becomes a RFA, so forgive them for that.

JLynn943
03-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Assuming the Kings re-sign Thornton (which we absolutely should), I think it's definitely worth testing Tyreke at PG. If it doesn't work out, I think we have Thornton coming off the bench (but with starter minutes obviously). I'd be very happy with combinations of Tyreke, Thornton, and Beno Udrih on the court throughout the game.

SFGiants4life
03-28-2011, 03:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7VTlXRNl4w&feature=fvst

CityofTreez
03-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Also, Kings shouldn't look for a Derrick Williams type player. Reke, Thornton, Cousins are all ball-demanding guys anyway.

Who says Derrick Williams has to be a ball-demanding player. He is a 6'8 SF/PF who can run the court and go down low. We drafted Whiteside last year for a defensive presence. He battled injuries all this year, the verdict is still out on Whiteside.

I originally wanted a guard, but with the addition of Thornton that changed things significantly. He opens up the court himself and can knock down an open shot, and Tyreke will only better that.

Tyreke/Marcus are guards, we got some youth in Jermain Taylor as depth. If you look at our SF/PF we need help badly. I wouldn't praise any of our SF/PF other than Casspi, so Williams would help out that flaw we have.

DerekRE_3
03-28-2011, 03:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7VTlXRNl4w&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b2Yh7mcZw

Savage Sunday
03-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Who says Derrick Williams has to be a ball-demanding player. He is a 6'8 SF/PF who can run the court and go down low. We drafted Whiteside last year for a defensive presence. He battled injuries all this year, the verdict is still out on Whiteside.

I originally wanted a guard, but with the addition of Thornton that changed things significantly. He opens up the court himself and can knock down an open shot, and Tyreke will only better that.

Tyreke/Marcus are guards, we got some youth in Jermain Taylor as depth. If you look at our SF/PF we need help badly. I wouldn't praise any of our SF/PF other than Casspi, so Williams would help out that flaw we have.

Casspi has been garbage this season, why praise him of all people?

IB_Hyperizin'13
03-28-2011, 03:34 AM
I personally think we can play both Tyreke and Thornton together with a healthy mix of beno. Petrie has done a good job about gettin the payroll down, and there is a lot of talks about the MAloofs spending cash this year, especially during FA. I personally think Thornton is a lock to get resigned... Though I would like Dalmbert to stay(he's playing amazing and is a great Defense presence that we NEED) i dont know what his chances are of being resigned. I think the team needs a SF with some size and can spread the floor and hit the 3-ball, but thats just my opinion.

CityofTreez
03-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Casspi has been garbage this season, why praise him of all people?

He's less expendable than Garcia/Greene, so I value him alot more.

He's not having a great year, but look at our team. We're not having the best year are we? What do you expect? For Casspi to hit every clutch shot when Westphal mismanages his time/position 75% of the time?

Savage Sunday
03-28-2011, 04:12 AM
He's less expendable than Garcia/Greene, so I value him alot more.

He's not having a great year, but look at our team. We're not having the best year are we? What do you expect? For Casspi to hit every clutch shot when Westphal mismanages his time/position 75% of the time?

Less expendable? Hes an average backup SF who should be brought in to hit 3's. Hes not a good defender and I also dont know have much to say about his overall basketball IQ. If you dont have anyone to create for him or if he isnt getting out in transition, then he is as worthless as hes been this year.

What exactly makes him valuable? The Kings should look to upgrade their starting SF position as well as their backup. Casspi can go off elsewhere since I am sure there is a team interested in a novelty act spot up shooter.

Garcia cant stay healthy but is a solid veteran when he is healthy. Greene needs to stay in the NBDL, & Casspi should join him in Reno.

Mr.ATLHawks
03-28-2011, 04:47 AM

Id like to see them draft a nice sized PG maybe trade down. I think Evans has the size/ability to play 3 so why not play him there. Given his injuries i would be reluctant to make him a fulltime PG if you plan on keeping him for awhile. Just some thoughts...

nbafan63
03-28-2011, 06:00 AM
To win games, you need some veterans. This young talented young team needs a leadership figure. I personally thought the kings should have traded garcia/caspi + 1st round pick for Gerald Wallace. Gwallace is very athletic defender and great in the open court. Doesn't demand the ball, but can run on the wings exceptionally well. And resign Dalembert and I believe this team would be instant playoff contender next year.

Tyreke Evans
Marcus Thorton
Gerald Wallace
Demarcus Cousins
Samuel Dalembert

That's a VERY athletic and talented starting 5. 4 out of the starting 5 are bigger than the average nba player @ their position. With a good coach, this would have been

PrettyBoyJ
03-28-2011, 06:49 AM
the should share the back court, or trade thorton for a sf there weak at that position..

DerekRE_3
03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Marcus Thornton on this past 5 game road trip, where the Kings went 4-1:

24.4 PPG 6.6 RPG 4.8 APG 49% FG 85% FT 57% 3PT

Bob_at_york
03-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Damn I would have loved him on the Raptors.

D1JM
03-28-2011, 02:28 PM

How's the defense though?

Bravo95
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Evans and Thornton in the backcourt, draft Williams or Barnes, and hope everyone gets/stays healthy.

CityofTreez
03-28-2011, 04:06 PM
What exactly makes him valuable? The Kings should look to upgrade their starting SF position as well as their backup. Casspi can go off elsewhere since I am sure there is a team interested in a novelty act spot up shooter.

Garcia cant stay healthy but is a solid veteran when he is healthy. Greene needs to stay in the NBDL, & Casspi should join him in Reno.

he's in his 2nd year and has alot more development in the NBA to overcome. You would give up on a player that is in his 2nd year? Look what we did with Thornton (another 2nd year player) and look how he turned out. I know, he hasn't proven anything yet, but I'm still not ready to part ways because of a sub-par Basketball IQ after 1 1/2 season under his bet! Yeah ****ing Right!

How's the defense though?

Surprisingly........pretty good.

The other night he put away the Bucks on a late 4th quarter steal to seal the deal. His defense is the most surprising skill I have noticed. I knew he could steal, but I wass unsure about his defensive presence. He's looking better and better day-after-day.