PDA

View Full Version : Are people hypocritical about "Defense wins games." with individual players

NetsPaint
03-27-2011, 03:20 AM
We all know how important defense is, but whenever there's a player with great defense, but doesn't have really an offensive game, a lot of people wouldn't want to give him a max contract. Is this hypocritical or is it because of lack individual defensive impact? If Howard didn't really have an offensive game, I think he would probably still get a max and fans would be happy about it, but still, it has yet to be proven.

Jewelz0376
03-27-2011, 03:39 AM
I think many people overvalue offense and undervalue defense when it comes to players...

Perfect example is Melo...Before the trade to NY I kept hearing people on TV say Melo is a top 5 player yet he only plays 1 side of the ball...No way some1 can be a top 5 player if they don't play D...

Another example is D12...before this year whenever I'd bring up D12 as one of the best players in the league the first thing some people would say is "he cant score in the post" (even tho he was still droppin 20 a game)...and they would almost dismiss what he does on the defense end...

Dont get me wrong tho a guy like Monte or Kevin Martin who can score 20+ and doesn't play D is more valuable than a guy like Tabo on OKC who can play lock down D, but can't score...

sargon21
03-27-2011, 04:05 AM
It's all about a player's ability to play good team defense within a solid defensive scheme.

soonabooma
03-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Defense wins championships, plain and simple. You can have all the offense in the world but if you don't value good defense, you're not gonna win anything. I'll take Sefolosha any day over some of those overrated pieces of crap that play Phoenix Suns style ball. Every team needs those defensive minded guys. Thabo will be with us for the long haul.

theheatles
03-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Defense wins championships, plain and simple. You can have all the offense in the world but if you don't value good defense, you're not gonna win anything. I'll take Sefolosha any day over some of those overrated pieces of crap that play Phoenix Suns style ball. Every team needs those defensive minded guys. Thabo will be with us for the long haul.

object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop...defense + stars win championships

FuriousJatt
03-27-2011, 01:28 PM
i think you gotta be good at one and decent to good on the other one. you wont be considered a great or a good player if you really suck at one thing.

Sixerlover
03-27-2011, 01:30 PM
The true superstars are two way players. That's why they win.

Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Duncan, Shaq in his prime, Howard, KG, Paul, Rose, Durant, Westbrook etc all great on both ends. If your primarily a one way player you aren't a superstar in my eyes and will never win a title.

Even that Pistons team had 5 stifling defenders the year they beat LA.

Crackadalic
03-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Which is why i want mike gone. Every post game he talks about how the offense isnt good enough. When he does tell them to play D that doesnt mean they know how to play it correctly. Offense wins games. Defense wins championships plain and simple

Arch Stanton
03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Eric Snow was a good defensive player but a really bad offensive player.

cbritz4
03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
hey snow had a couple seasons where averaged like 11 pts haha and we went to the same high school

Vincent
03-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Defense has little to do with an individual player and more so to do with a team scheme.

Dwight Howard might be the exception to this.

TheDiggler
03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Your Team Defense is As good or weak As your weakest teammember.

TheDiggler
03-27-2011, 06:52 PM
The true superstars are two way players. That's why they win.

Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Duncan, Shaq in his prime, Howard, KG, Paul, Rose, Durant, Westbrook etc all great on both ends. If your primarily a one way player you aren't a superstar in my eyes and will never win a title.

Even that Pistons team had 5 stifling defenders the year they beat LA.

Wade Rose and durant Sleep on D. Rose less than durant and Wade. But they all are Not Worth to Talk about. They get defensive Honor because of their Superstar Name and Marketing.

You find the Best D on the no-names ...

blastmasta26
03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't think it's hypocrisy. Defense is sometimes individual, but for the large part it's based on the whole team. Scoring, meanwhile, can be done entirely by one player.