PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Coach Phil Jackson isn't happy with bench

lakers4sho
03-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Reserves know they have been in a slump. Defense and turnovers have been a problem.

The coach is not happy with how his bench has played in recent games.

The reserves aren't happy with how they have performed in recent games.

So it appears that Lakers Coach Phil Jackson and his substitutes are in agreement, and that is that the reserves must improve their play.

"If I had to grade it, the last 10 games would be a 'C,' and close to an 'F,' " Lakers reserve Lamar Odom said after practice Saturday.

"We're not winning our quarters. We're giving up leads. We weren't doing that earlier in the year."

Jackson is not happy that his reserves let a 16-point lead Friday against the Clippers slip and a 21-point lead Tuesday against the Phoenix Suns get away, even though the Lakers won both games.

"They have to play defense a lot better and not turn the ball over," Jackson said. "So without trying to bring a huge focus to it, it's a problem right now."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20110327,0,4833656.story

J4KOP99
03-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Some of it has to be on Phil though. Sometimes his substitution patterns are a little confusing...

I do agree though, our bench must step up and Shannon Brown needs to stop trying to emulate Kobe's every move. Luckily, our bench is mostly Vets who know what they need to do. I think guys like Blake and Barnes will come up big for us during the playoffs. Even though Blake has underperformed, I still have confidence in him.

Storch
03-27-2011, 02:46 AM
so if its not a C and its not an F then shouldn't the grade be a D? lol

Anyway, the bench just got back together and just like any other line ups they need playing time together to get back in sync. They will be alright, barnes and odom just joined the crew again. They'll get it together for sure. :up:

midwestlaker75
03-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Phil Jackson is not happy with the bench, Well neither am I. This has been the weak link for a couple of years now. I give Matt Barnes a pass due to his injury and being new to the system. I also give Steve Blake a sort of pass, also because he is new.....But he has played almost every game and I expect his production to be better in the playoffs. Smith, Caracter and Ebanks get incompletes because they never play and Ratliff has been injured. Which brings me to Shannon Brown, I think trading Sasha was the worst thing that they could have done. Not because Sasha was playing better than Shannon, But he would have kept the pressure on. Once Sasha was gone he relaxed and his play has really dropped off. I would have given him a A- early in the season, now I give him a C-. And then there is Luke Walton, He should be arrested for seven counts of theft for the seven years he's been stealing a check from Dr.Buss. Probably would be more valuable as a coach in the future. The good thing is this is not a new problem and only Blake, Barnes and Brown along with Odom will be receiving time in the playoffs anyway. So it will be business as usual. Hopefully Blake, Brown and Barnes will prove that letting Farmar go and trading Vujacic was a good move and not one that will cost us a three-peat.

lakers4sho
03-27-2011, 10:26 AM
so if its not a c and its not an f then shouldn't the grade be a d? lol

anyway, the bench just got back together and just like any other line ups they need playing time together to get back in sync. They will be alright, barnes and odom just joined the crew again. They'll get it together for sure. :up:

Didn't they say that the "D" was missing? ;)

mekedubs
03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
If Lamar is aggressive on the on both ends of the floor(especially the offensive side), if Blake would just SHOOT THE DAMN BALL when he's open and Shannon doesn't DRIBBLE THE BALL SO DAMN MUCH, I think the bench will perform up to a B+ or A- level... Barnes to me is doing a pretty good job considering coming back from an injury. But these are the things I believe will make them much, much better from now until they win the Championship!!

Mcdoh
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
part of it is true..

Tymathee
03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Brown has lost his early shooting mind and is now trying to be a scorer. Just take your shots dude and if you see an opening to the hoop take it.

Purple&Gold24
03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
They better get their stuff together come playoff time.

Frezhnitz
03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
The bench does need to play better. They can.

LA_Raiders
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
They suck, letting the leads go in the last 2 games...

Brown is shooting and making TOs like crazy... He is no kobe, I hope he understands that soon...

LA_Raiders
03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
If Lamar is aggressive on the on both ends of the floor(especially the offensive side), if Blake would just SHOOT THE DAMN BALL when he's open and Shannon doesn't DRIBBLE THE BALL SO DAMN MUCH, I think the bench will perform up to a B+ or A- level... Barnes to me is doing a pretty good job considering coming back from an injury. But these are the things I believe will make them much, much better from now until they win the Championship!!

Agree

magic0320
03-27-2011, 03:19 PM
I hope Brown never comes back he is like Smush to me at least, just dunk here and there and do stupid *****.

New Power House
03-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Odom and Gasol have to be the ones taking the blame on this one. They are the ones that need to demand the ball and keep the Browns and the Blakes in line. Either one of them has the ability to lead the second unit. Ginobli is an example of a player that have done that for the Spurs. He is not afraid to take over and he demands the ball. Odom,the highly acclaimed 6th man of the year, and Gasol,who has at times whine that he does not get enough touches, need to prove. This call is an indirect call from Phil.The only player that have an excuse is Barns to certain extent,but the rest need to hear the call now!

New Power House
03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Odom should take charge: His 14.4 points on 53.7% shooting and 8.8 rebounds per game have come pretty consistently. After assuming the starter's role during Bynum's two-game absence, Odom's return to the bench featured nine points on three-of-nine shooting, hardly the kind of performance the Lakers want from him. This is a minor issue at best, but taking immediate control of the unit should help kickstart them. After all, he's the one handing out the grade.

Summed up Jackson: "They have to develop an identity for themselves."

--Mark Medina

I will continue to insist that Gasol or Bynum need to demand the ball more when Kobe is not around and Phil must teach the bench ,including Odom,that our advantage still our size. Inside out!

KillaInstinct24
03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
i think the bench will be better next year. matt will take his option and stay another year, blake will have a year under his belt, we can sign a younger C to replace ratliff and smith. but with that said, i dont think they've done TOO bad this year, sometimes they played better than the starters

New Power House
03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
i think the bench will be better next year. matt will take his option and stay another year, blake will have a year under his belt, we can sign a younger C to replace ratliff and smith. but with that said, i dont think they've done TOO bad this year, sometimes they played better than the starters

What matters is now! The present is that this bunch is not getting it done and their coach is worried,just like some of us is. They have not been a fact for this run. They lost their initial form that gave them their name"Killer B's" Now they are the" Ineffective B's':facepalm:

Black-Mamba-24
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
is it only me or do you guys notice this too ; shannon jacks up a shot everytime he gets the ball:facepalm:

Purple&Gold24
03-28-2011, 03:36 AM
What matters is now! The present is that this bunch is not getting it done and their coach is worried,just like some of us is. They have not been a fact for this run. They lost their initial form that gave them their name"Killer B's" Now they are the" Ineffective B's':facepalm:

they be fine...were gunna need them come playoff time, if not then kobe can take of it :) haha jk

Supreme LA
03-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I have to say I agree with most of you guys that Shannon has been pretty selfish this season. His decision making is poor and he really needs to work on his passing skills. The bench would be solid if he were playing as part of the unit instead of going off one on one so much. I'm not going to fault him too much because the effort and desire is there. He just needs to look at the big picture and get his act together soon.