PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Los Angeles Lakers' Phil Jackson dislikes Kings-to-Anaheim

Bruno
03-26-2011, 08:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6260081

LOS ANGELES -- Before Los Angeles' two professional basketball teams -- the Lakers and Clippers -- tipped off Friday at Staples Center, Lakers coach Phil Jackson seemed a little ticked off about the possibility of a third NBA team joining the mix.

The Sacramento Kings are looking to relocate to Anaheim, less than an hour drive down the 5 freeway from downtown L.A.

"What other metropolitan area has three teams in it? It's ridiculous to put another franchise in this market," Jackson said. "It just doesn't make sense to do that."

ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Lakers and Clippers have reached out to owners around the league to try to drum up the requisite support from other teams needed to block the Kings' move. The eventual vote will be decided by simple majority, meaning the L.A. teams must find 14 other teams to side with them to prevent Southern California from becoming basketball's version of Three's Company, should the Kings decide to formally apply for relocation.

"They're putting publicity out and trying to seed the ground, but there hasn't even been a formal Board of Governors [decision] in front of the owners," Jackson said of the progress made by brothers Joe and Gavin Maloof, who co-own the Kings. "There's definitely a push, but that doesn't mean that it's going to happen."

Jackson envisioned a scenario in which the vote would be split and ultimately decided by what direction the New Orleans Hornets lean. The Hornets, of course, were purchased by the NBA in late December from majority owner George Shinn and minority owner Gary Chouest in hopes that the league could find them a new ownership group.

"What does the league feel about it?" Jackson said. "How is New Orleans going to vote?"

League-appointed Hornets governor Jac Sperling will cast New Orleans' vote.

Stein also reported that one way the Kings could be discouraged about making a move even with support of a majority owners' vote is by the league's assessing a hefty relocation fee to the Maloofs.

Wrote Stein: "Relocation fees in the NBA are 'discretionary,' meaning that the fee is established by the league's Board of Governors and varies from relocation to relocation. The Seattle SuperSonics, for example, paid a $30 million relocation fee when they moved to Oklahoma City. It remains to be seen if the Maloofs are asked to pay more."

Jackson said he is not surprised by the prospect of Anaheim's hosting an NBA team, but he always assumed that team would be the Clippers.

"They've been talking about Anaheim ever since I've been in town , so I guess I'm not surprised about it," Jackson said. "We were always surprised the Clippers never went there because it seemed like an appropriate place for them to go at that time. Then when Staples [Center] opened up, this has been a joint venture here that's worked out relatively well. I've never heard of anything like it. I mean, you think about the Dodgers and the Angels playing on the same field, it would be pretty impossible. But, here we are. We're doing it and we made it work.

"But to have another team, 40-45 miles away, that puts a lot of pressure on everybody in the area."

The Kings have an April 18 deadline to file for relocation.

Finding a mutual enemy in the Kings may have even brought Jackson and Clippers owner Donald Sterling closer together.

Or, at least it won't bring them any further apart.

"I come from a generation that believed in karma," Jackson said last season when asked about Sterling."I do think there is karma in effect ultimately. ... If you do a good mitzvah [a Jewish term for an act of kindness], maybe you can eliminate some of those things. You don't think Sterling's done enough mitzvahs to eliminate some of those?"

Jackson had no interest in revisiting the conversation on Friday.

"I'm not going there. The last time I did that, I got in trouble with the league," Jackson said.

When asked to explain what he meant by "trouble," Jackson eluded the subject again.

"No, no, no, no, no, no. Don't even start on that," Jackson said. "We're not even going to that topic."

[I]Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com. Follow him on Twitter.

DJakk
03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
He is afraid of Tyreke Evans taking over Cali.

Raps08-09 Champ
I dislike it too.

I want a team to relocate back to Seattle.

Wade>You
"They're putting publicity out and trying to seed the ground, but there hasn't even been a formal Board of Governors [decision] in front of the owners," Jackson said of the progress made by brothers Joe and Gavin Maloof, who co-own the Kings. "There's definitely a push, but that doesn't mean that it's going to happen."

Jackson envisioned a scenario in which the vote would be split and ultimately decided by what direction the New Orleans Hornets lean. The Hornets, of course, were purchased by the NBA in late December from majority owner George Shinn and minority owner Gary Chouest in hopes that the league could find them a new ownership group.

"What does the league feel about it?" Jackson said. "How is New Orleans going to vote?"Phil Jackson makes David Stern sad.

stawka
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Inb4the "ahhhhh the Zen Master getting up to his tricks again. Playing with the mind of a potential playoff team if they don't lose a game and everyone else somehow loses"

Lol I agree though. ****ing stupid. Give Seattle a damn team!

Bruno
03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Inb4the "ahhhhh the Zen Master getting up to his tricks again. Playing with the mind of a potential playoff team if they don't lose a game and everyone else somehow loses"

Lol I agree though. ****ing stupid. Give Seattle a damn team!

:laugh2: I wana see a team in Seattle too.

AllBall
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Send them to Seattle....

lakeshow3peat
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
how bout the kings and warriors team up and keep the warriors in oakland

or all three teams Hornets , Kings , Warriors and bring a team back to seattle

jneises21
03-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Bring 'em back to KC

IceMan360
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Vegas anyone?:shrug:

Sadds The Gr8
03-26-2011, 09:19 PM
he's right. another team in the LA area is ****in ********...

ManRam
03-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't get how anyone thinks it's a good idea :shrug:

I don't need Phil telling me this ;)

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Does Phil Jackson always have to comment on something?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't get how anyone thinks it's a good idea :shrug:

I don't need Phil telling me this ;)

Sorry to break it to ya but Florida lost to a swagless team.

Hellcrooner
03-26-2011, 11:02 PM
kings to KC where they were before.

bobcats to seattle to become the sonics.

hornets to CHarlotte where they should have always been.

Case closed.

G.A.M.E.
03-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Whenever the Lakers come to Ontario for preseason it is sold out well in advance. I would consider buying season tickets to games in Anaheim and I am a die hard Laker fan, I rarely miss games. Laker tickets are way overpriced and being a fan of basketball I would love to just be able to watch a decent priced pro basketball game without having the trouble of going out to Los Angeles.

Kobe would even rather play in Anaheim, if I remember correctly when he signed his recent contract he wanted as many games as possible in the preseason over in Anaheim. Anyway,on a side note, love the site wish I would have signed up sooner.

marlinsfan24
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm wondering what the **** does Phil Jackson like?

gotoHcarolina52
03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm wondering what the **** does Phil Jackson like?

jeannie buss poon

nickdymez
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
He is afraid of Tyreke Evans taking over Cali.

Dumbest comment ever

J4KOP99
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM

Yes, because we all know it's Phil's idea to invite the press in to interview him so he can comment on different topics.

knightstemplar
03-27-2011, 01:16 AM

u mad?

Dade County
03-27-2011, 01:24 AM
I dislike it too.

OKC... period.

TheDiggler
03-27-2011, 06:54 AM
I dislike it too.

x2

CityofTreez
03-27-2011, 01:48 PM
This **** is sad, even Phil Jackson agrees with me, and I hate Phil Jackson!

mzgrizz
03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow, I finally agree with something Phil Jackson has said!
Seattle;Las Vegas seem the obvious choices to me.

FuriousJatt
03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
the the kings to sandiego, hornets to vegas, grizzlies to seattle.
these 3 teams are really struggling financially are in cities that cant afford or support them. san diego is an attractive city to draw big names. seattle obviously has a great fan base and history. vegas, well i just think hornets logo is more fitting for vegas... they need a professional basketball team.

J4KOP99
03-27-2011, 02:54 PM
^ I was also thinking about San Diego for the Kings... they would have to change their name to "Los Reys" though...