PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic to grow beards until playoff run ends

Purple&Gold24
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
NEW YORK Fear the beard?

At the urging of small forward Quentin Richardson, the Orlando Magic have taken a cue from the world of hockey and said they've decided not to shave their faces until their playoff run ends, whenever that may be.

"It's one of those team things," Richardson said. "Togetherness. It's something fun at the same time."

The players said they collectively made the decision between Monday's victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers and Wednesday's win over the New York Knicks.

"We talked about doing something as a team," center Dwight Howard said.

"We thought about the bald heads, but some of us myself don't look right with a bald head. Then we thought about letting our hair grow out; then [we realized] we've got a lot of guys who are going bald, so [it would] look funny with just patches in their head.

"So the beard is the only way to go. It'll be tough for me and the young guys to really get it going, but we're all in this together."

Howard is a prankster, and he occasionally likes to tell jokes that gullible members of the press sometimes mistake for the truth.

That said, Ryan Anderson, Jameer Nelson, Jason Richardson and J.J. Redick all insisted separately that, yes, the Magic will grow playoff beards.

"We all agree on it," J-Rich said. "Everybody's going to go do it. That's the type of team we have. We have a close-knit team."

Growing beards is a tradition in hockey, with players from the eventual Stanley Cup champions often hoisting the coveted trophy with ragged facial hair.

Howard sent out a series of messages on Twitter on Thursday to try and involve Magic fans.

He tweeted: "I got an idea for all magic fans. If u wanna show ur passion and support for us in the playoffs. Guys can join in on the fear the beard and for the ladies I need some suggestions but I say paint your fingernails magic what y'all think."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-news-0325-20110324,0,6647700.story

Maybe this will help them :shrug: lol

tangent12
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
LOL, so they'll rock the beards for what? 4 games? Pathetic. :laugh2:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM

I read somewhere that they will start before the playoffs:shrug:

marlinsfan24
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM

They'll get the Hawks in the first round, they'll get to rock them to the second round!

Cullksinikers
03-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Round 2 exit.

They'll beat Atlanta, but they won't beat the Bulls. That's assuming that we hold on to the #1 seed.

tangent12
03-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I read somewhere that they will start before the playoffs:shrug:

Oh, even worse lol.. imagine them walking off the court after a sweep with long *** ridiculous wizard looking beards. Straight up embarrassing and degrading.

Cullksinikers
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Who's going to be the guy with only peach fuzz?

:laugh:

MacFitz92
03-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I didn't know Dwight Howard could grow a beard yet.

Purple&Gold24
03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I didn't know Dwight Howard could grow a beard yet.

same here :shrug:

Lakers + Giants
03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Brian Wilson needs to have a little talk with the magic.:eyebrow:

redsox0717
03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
how creative :shrug:

macc
03-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I posted this a couple days ago.

Orlando will easily handle the Bulls in the 2nd round. Just wait....you'll see for yourselves

redwhitenblue
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I posted this a couple days ago.

Orlando will easily handle the Bulls in the 2nd round. Just wait....you'll see for yourselves
Well as long as you posted it, I suppose it's factually based.

macc
03-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Well as long as you posted it, I suppose it's factually based.

It's based on the fact I've watched basketball fo 25 years and I don't by into all the hype some teams get. I said the same thing when Orlando played Cleveland two years ago. I knew they wouldn't match up well with the Magic then, just like Chicago does now.

Rose will be trapped, Howard holds Boozer to 11ppg on something around 37% shooting. 5 or 6 game series.

Avenged
03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Haha we'll see how long they can make it. Seems like they're only doing this because they know they won't get very far. ;)

Dallas Tx4Life
03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Team unity seems like a poor reason to hate on a team...

lamar2006
03-26-2011, 03:47 PM
the ladies should let their vagina hair grow. lol. but, will we know if they are complying?

5ass
03-26-2011, 04:01 PM
lol at the heat and bulls fans in this thread.. look over ur posts and see how cocky u sound.. thats exactly why other NBA fans hate u.. as long as the magic have dwight howard they are still a better team than the heat and bulls.. orlando has been to the finals and ECF the past two years.. where were u? lol
u can keep doubting us though.. being the underdogs will only make it that much sweeter ;)

Big Zo
03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Everybody grows playoff beards, but where are the playoff afros?

LTS
03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
magic are a good team I wouldnt sleep on them they match up well and if they jason & arenas to produce could go the conference finals easily they match up well with most teams and the beard things cool at least its differnt for BBAll ther ekeeping in fun and light and alot of players play better when they realese preasure with things like this

pentel1980
03-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Cute story. Whatever takes the focus off their under whelming season.

DerekRE_3
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Nothing they do will come close to matching this:
http://img610.imageshack.us/f/i5qpd.jpg/

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/159/775/109372711_crop_358x243.jpg?1300672309

J4KOP99
03-26-2011, 05:43 PM
If the title had read, "orlando magic to grow balls after beatdown from Celtics last year" then I would care...

gotoHcarolina52
03-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Nothing they do will come close to matching this:
http://img610.imageshack.us/f/i5qpd.jpg/

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/159/775/109372711_crop_358x243.jpg?1300672309

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/hidininbeard.jpg

Gators123
03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
stevekylerNBA Steve Kyler
Orlando Magic players pledged to grow beards in the push towards the playoffs... Brandon Bass has already shaved.

What a *****!

Purple&Gold24
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM
What a *****!

wow that was fast. Sucks for the Magic now they wont go far :( lol hahahaha jk

Chi StateOfMind
03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
lol at the heat and bulls fans in this thread.. look over ur posts and see how cocky u sound.. thats exactly why other NBA fans hate u.. as long as the magic have dwight howard they are still a better team than the heat and bulls.. orlando has been to the finals and ECF the past two years.. where were u? lol
u can keep doubting us though.. being the underdogs will only make it that much sweeter ;)

:facepalm: and u said bulls & heat fans were cocky

5ass
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
:facepalm: and u said bulls & heat fans were cocky

no no im sorry theyre not cocky at all, bulls and heat fans are so down to earth.. maybe its because IM MAD and derick rose is MVP.. all we need now are knicks fans claiming that amare is the real beast of the east and lakers fans saying Kobe is still the best player in the NBA and we have a ****in party.. LOL get lost kid dwight howard has proven he can go much deeper in the playoffs than derrick rose so until the bulls win a playoff series, then yes orlando is a better team

ragee
03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Everybody grows playoff beards, but where are the playoff afros?

They said they considered it but some of them are getting bald spots so it would be weird for someof them... hahaha

Lake_Show2416
03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
They said they considered it but some of them are getting bald spots so it would be weird for someof them... hahaha

I remember the 1st time i grew facial hair :laugh:

Bulls_fan90
03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
It's based on the fact I've watched basketball fo 25 years and I don't by into all the hype some teams get. I said the same thing when Orlando played Cleveland two years ago. I knew they wouldn't match up well with the Magic then, just like Chicago does now.

Rose will be trapped, Howard holds Boozer to 11ppg on something around 37% shooting. 5 or 6 game series.

Learn how to spell old man.

Arch Stanton
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
They should apply their playoff "merkins" to the exterior of their shorts. Maybe the Heat could follow suit?

DaBear
03-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Wait a minute...when we're talking about MVP all I hear is:

"Dwight has garbage teammates"

"Without Dwight, they would miss the playoffs."

Now when we're talking about Orlando, you change your tunes.

:laugh2:

And are you really comparing the Bulls of this year to the last two years?

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

DaBear
03-27-2011, 04:22 PM
no no im sorry theyre not cocky at all, bulls and heat fans are so down to earth.. maybe its because IM MAD and derick rose is MVP.. all we need now are knicks fans claiming that amare is the real beast of the east and lakers fans saying Kobe is still the best player in the NBA and we have a ****in party.. LOL get lost kid dwight howard has proven he can go much deeper in the playoffs than derrick rose so until the bulls win a playoff series, then yes orlando is a better team

And we're cocky..:rolleyes:

ManRam
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
And we're cocky..:rolleyes:

What did he say wasn't true? The Magic have had a lot more success than most every other team not named Boston or LA in the last 3 years. Everyone always says "you can't be the champs until you beat the champs", so why can't he say you can't be better than us until you do better than us? I don't blame him for defending his team. Seems like every other fanbase is allowed to defend their teams, but he can't do it here? I don't get how this thread is warranting hate? This team has been inconsistent all year, anything to build unity and chemistry is a good thing.

So again, why are people so angry and vicious right now? It's a harmless thing. Jesus...

EDIT: I guess this personally insulted every fanbase. There's a thread about this in the Magic forum. I guess it can be discussed there.