PDA

View Full Version : Why did everyone overreact when the Heat were losing?

NYSpirit1
03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Every team goes through a rough patch in their first year, even in later years they do. The Knicks are having one right now.

Every media member, every radio personality, everybody - literally - was so quick to peg the Heat a first round exit now in the playoffs.

They've now won 7 of 8, where as almost every win came against a playoff team - two against LA and San Antonio. They're challenging the Heat and Bulls for the top two spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see them as the one seed.

I can't believe people actually thought the Heat were going nowhere with LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, two of the three best players in the NBA.

They'll probably win the championship this year.

mzgrizz
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
I know I need them to show up and beat up on Houston tomorrow!
Let's go Heat !

Cano4prez
03-26-2011, 01:02 PM
This should end well..

kozelkid
03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
First of all, don't compare the Knicks to the Heat. Heat might have chemistry issues, but they are SO much better than the Knicks. At least they are committed to the defensive end.

:puke: I can't believe I'm actually saying positive things about the Heat. Knicks are losing because they aren't a good team. Heat were losing cause they had tough stretches and aren't stong enough mentally to go through when the going gets tough. Big difference.

Dade County
03-26-2011, 01:07 PM
It's easy for mankind to carry hate in their heart... Men always want, when they can't have... they hate.

We got them all discounted :)

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-26-2011, 01:07 PM
ESPN thought they would be the best team ever so when they lose a few games in a short span, SportsCenter will make a big deal about it.

Sixerlover
03-26-2011, 01:09 PM
People love negativity. Add that to all of the LeBron hate that was spewing off the internet in the beginning of the season, and you woulda thought 9-7 was 1-15

WHODAT8o8
03-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Because u have wade and lebron... That shouldn't happen

billy17
03-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Because they said theyd win multiple rings right off the bat.

Championship teams dont play like that.. They werent closing out games and couldnt beat winning teams. Seems reasonable to me.

If you want to be all the media talks about, well, theyre going to talk about you when you struggle too.

Personally, im a huge fan of the Heat losing

Southsideheat
03-26-2011, 01:15 PM
why do people forget when they beat on bad teams again?

BallIsAll
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
knicks are no where near the heat. lets just leave it at that.

TylerSL
03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Wade has said it alot accually, he said "the world is a better place when the Heat are losing". Thats how it is with all the haters........ Also dont say the Heat will win the chip yet either, because we are 0-6 against the 2 top teams in the East, and will have a ton of trouble with either the Spurs, Lakers, Mavs, or whoever else comes out of the West if they were to make it to the Finals. Personally, I have hope, but its not a sure fire thing.

TylerSL
03-26-2011, 01:33 PM
The Knicks will get better, dont get me wrong. But the Heat have had 2 very rough streches this season (9-7 start, and losing 5 in a row) and are still pushing 60 wins. They are 50-22 with 10 games left, the Heat have to win all of them to get 60, so idk if we get 60, but I bet we get close, while the Knicks are not near that good. The Knicks have alot of other problems tho, they DO NOT play defense, which will kill them. I think this Knicks team right now, if they were to play an 82 game season would only win 45-48 games because they dont play defense. They will be a sure fire playoff team and a winning team, but unless signifigant changes, expect a ton a first round exits or sweeps in the second round. Personally, I would fire D'antoni and hire a defensive minded head coach. That would do the Knicks wonders.

Avenged
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
The Knicks should not be compared to the Heat. The Heat were going into a slump, the Knicks? Not so much. This is who they are (the Knicks) and won't get any better until they add some depth.

As far as the Heat go, I don't think anybody was overreacting. People just like to kick someone when they're down. I don't really believe anyone really thought the Heat sucked and that they wouldn't get it together. There's just some "enjoyment" as fans that we get seeing a team we don't like struggle.

Gators123
03-26-2011, 01:46 PM
The Knicks are not the Heat.

BallIsAll
03-26-2011, 01:47 PM
no one ever said the Heat sucked

but....

the knicks SUCK

ManRam
03-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Because people don't want to like this team...and because people just don't like the period.
Because this team had higher expectations than any team has ever had.

That's basically it.

And the Knicks shouldn't ever be compared to the Heat. They aren't even close to being in the same realm as the heat.

GeekInThePink
03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I think it was mainly Heat fans overreacting, because they're fair weather fans.

jp611
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Every team goes through a rough patch in their first year, even in later years they do. The Knicks are having one right now.

Every media member, every radio personality, everybody - literally - was so quick to peg the Heat a first round exit now in the playoffs.

They've now won 7 of 8, where as almost every win came against a playoff team - two against LA and San Antonio. They're challenging the Heat and Bulls for the top two spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see them as the one seed.

I can't believe people actually thought the Heat were going nowhere with LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, two of the three best players in the NBA.

Bulls are in their first year together and havent lost more than 2 in a row all year, not every team struggles in their first year together

The-Human-Cigar
03-26-2011, 02:06 PM
People love to hate on LeBron. His fiasco "Decision" was over the top and ego maniacal and what other players do that? I mean really? So it was natural for many in the media and with fans to not hop-on the Miami Heat bandwagon.

Strange since Paul Pierce was joined by two superstars in Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett who held a press conference "together" to announce joining the Celtics a few years ago. Everyone hopped onto that bandwagon and the media were into it. Why? No fiasco "Decision" by Garnett or Allen to promote themselves. Instead they came out in front of the media, together and explained they wanted a chance to win a championship.

Garnett's Timberwolves and Allens Sonics were just miserable for so many years you almost felt bad for them with as much talent as they had to never get a chance. Paul Pierce also had it bad being the lone wolf for a dismal Celtics franchise. I was happy to see the Celtics turn it around and for these guys.

In retrospect LeBron's "team" in Cleveland made a good run to the finals and through various playoffs getting stopped by better "teams" over the last few years. Bailing without delivering on a championship he promised just seemed cruel to Cleveland fans. I just feel he's going to become a Tracy McGrady or Allen Iverson. Always a really good/great player but lacking in sacrificing for his team to be able to get to the world championship level.

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
The Heat are awesome at beating bad teams, but they're just not good enough to beat quality TEAMS. It's like playing 5 on 3. That's why they'll never get past the celtics or bulls in a playoff series. Just not a good enough team.

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-26-2011, 02:14 PM
But hey at least they're not the Knicks. Not that's a **** show there!

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I think it was mainly Heat fans overreacting, because they're fair weather fans.

I don't think Heat fans care, everytime I see a game in Miami the stands are half empty.

marvILLous
03-26-2011, 02:20 PM
lol i like how this thread is made once the knicks start struggling.. it's not an excuse for the knicks cuz they just aren't as good

i personally thought melo and amare were gonna tear it up but i guess defense is a lot more important than i originally thought haha

theheatles
03-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't think Heat fans care, everytime I see a game in Miami the stands are half empty.

How is this so, if fans don't go....

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Steelers23_06
03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
lol haters dont a reason to hate i said at the beginning of the season when you put players like that its going to take atleast 82 games to get comfortable. they hit speed bumps and psd and espn made it into a mountain. its cool. it used to get to me that people hated on my team and favorite player but idc about it anymore i'm cocky about my team and arrogant trying to get 40 haters by the summer if you need a team to hate on jump on the bandwagon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7z_ztMxBgk&feature=related

psd made me that way. so eff your team HEAT ALL DAY.

Steelers23_06
03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Bulls are in their first year together and havent lost more than 2 in a row all year, not every team struggles in their first year together

they have 4/5 starters returning and team chemistry. whereas miami has a whole new starting lineup and only chalmers wade haslem and jones from last season. that is not a comparison.

tangent12
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Empathy, gotta love it.

marlinsfan24
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
The Knicks should not be compared to the Heat. The Heat were going into a slump, the Knicks? Not so much. This is who they are (the Knicks) and won't get any better until they add some depth.

As far as the Heat go, I don't think anybody was overreacting. People just like to kick someone when they're down. I don't really believe anyone really thought the Heat sucked and that they wouldn't get it together. There's just some "enjoyment" as fans that we get seeing a team we don't like struggle.

This.

llemon
03-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Many fans hate the Heat and the Knicks, and wish the worst for them.

Me, for instance.

BigCityofDreams
03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Didn't take long

DoubleDragon
03-26-2011, 02:55 PM

oh, and as for the Knicks. C'mon man. They never declared they were a super team just yet. It'll take time (and maybe a new system), but they have 2 MONSTER pieces so far, and if they get that 3rd, the East is gonna be a blast to watch (even more). Everyone's kickin the Knicks like they kicked the heat...as I said, HUMAN NATURE. better to have Melo and Amare to start, then not.

oh, and as for the Knicks. C'mon man. They never declared they were a super team just yet. It'll take time (and maybe a new system), but they have 2 MONSTER pieces so far, and if they get that 3rd, the East is gonna be a blast to watch (even more). Everyone's kickin the Knicks like they kicked the heat...as I said, HUMAN NATURE. better to have Melo and Amare to start, then not.

IMO, everyone overreacted because not every team has a huge dance party and announces they want to get 5 or 6 championships.
Of course they're gonna have high expectations as well as a target on their back.
I know because (my) Lakers usually have that target painted brightly on their back as well;)

That said...obviously there's the simple fact that they ARE a super trio and with that, people don't expect long periods of losing at any level. Doesn't really matter though. At the end of the day, they are clear favorites in the East (IMO) and as they gel more in the future, it's looking pretty bright in South Beach.

Just think big picture and realize its human nature for people to relish the downturns in any popular figure and/or team. Doesn't matter. It is what it is.

DoubleDragon
03-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Sixerlover
03-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Are you talking about the players or the fans? Because if you mean the fans you didn't have to deal with what I dealt with the first week post Melo trade living in NYC. It was madness, hilarious to me at the time and even funnier now but so damn annoying.

TO to the CHI
03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
they have 4/5 starters returning and team chemistry. whereas miami has a whole new starting lineup and only chalmers wade haslem and jones from last season. that is not a comparison.

I see that in addition to being a bandwagonner (heat and steelers, huh), you also have trouble counting to five. That's awkward.

BigCityofDreams
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Exactly the two pieces are in place but now they have to build around them.

Steelers23_06
03-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I see that in addition to being a bandwagonner (heat and steelers, huh), you also have trouble counting to five. That's awkward.

how the heat 4/5 new starters in their lineup (bibby, lerbon, bosh, dampier) whereas the bulls only inserted boozer into the lineup. how can i not count. and yea im a bandwagon you know me your my friend and know that i ust jumped on the bandwagon. i guarantee you its harder for me to be a heat/steelers fan in boston then being a homer. would you feel better if i was a celtics/patriots fan. its my fault that my dad liked the steelers since steel curtain days being from alabama and not having a home team but moved to south beach and became a heat fan and passed it to me. your right ima bandwagon feel better now?

Master Mind
03-26-2011, 04:40 PM
The Heat are awesome at beating bad teams, but they're just not good enough to beat quality TEAMS. It's like playing 5 on 3. That's why they'll never get past the celtics or bulls in a playoff series. Just not a good enough team.

Never say never :eyebrow:

TO to the CHI
03-26-2011, 05:01 PM
how the heat 4/5 new starters in their lineup (bibby, lerbon, bosh, dampier) whereas the bulls only inserted boozer into the lineup. how can i not count. and yea im a bandwagon you know me your my friend and know that i ust jumped on the bandwagon. i guarantee you its harder for me to be a heat/steelers fan in boston then being a homer. would you feel better if i was a celtics/patriots fan. its my fault that my dad liked the steelers since steel curtain days being from alabama and not having a home team but moved to south beach and became a heat fan and passed it to me. your right ima bandwagon feel better now?

You said the Bulls returned 4/5 starters and I said you cant count. I stand by my statement. Try again.

And you still sound like a bandwagon an to me.

JARVIS123
03-26-2011, 05:02 PM
are you preferring this thread to sir charles?i maybe wrong but i doubt it.lol.:)

IamKaiserSoze
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
not sure anyone really overreacted. those that aren't heat fans rejoiced in the speedbump they hit. but with those two superstars how bad could it have been? sure they were bound to lose a few games here and there. but can anyone definitively say they won't be around for the ECF? i know i can't.

and it is hilarious that anyone could compare the knicks and the heat.

gotoHcarolina52
03-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Until now, PSD's general NBA forum had been quite silent on the Heat after they started winning. I like it that way. And I'm sure most people do too.

effen5
03-26-2011, 05:05 PM
I think the fact that the Knick Fans thought they were going to win a title after the trade this year is funny as hell.

BTW, please don't compare the Heat with the Knicks. Unlike the Knicks Heat actually try to play defense unlike the Knicks who plays zero defense.

Steelers23_06
03-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Until now, PSD's general NBA forum had been quite silent on the Heat after they started winning. I like it that way. And I'm sure most people do too.

lol naw bro. people love to hate the heat. i said it before and ill say it again you cant spell hate without H-E-A-T.

John Walls Era
03-26-2011, 05:18 PM
People always overreact. Remember when the Knicks were on their winning streak? People were saying how Amare handled the "pressure" and the Knicks were back.

Overreacting is part of sports.

Gritz
03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Because..

effen5
03-26-2011, 05:21 PM
lol naw bro. people love to hate the heat. i said it before and ill say it again you cant spell hate without H-E-A-T.

People hate the heat because they have a championship celebration before winning a championship...

Steelers23_06
03-26-2011, 05:36 PM
People hate the heat because they have a championship celebration before winning a championship...

lol so they got this much hate when shaq did it? go ahead keep giving reasons why people hate. there is no legitimate reason. i dont hate im not a hater its not in my blood. i dont hate on kobe even though i could because he had a rape case and arrogant/cocky but i dont because he's a great player and i respect his game. i could hate kg because of his "dirty play" and loud mouth but i dont because i respect his leadership and solid defense. i could hate joakim noah because pretty much everyone does lol but i dont because i respect his persistence and gritty defense. i could hate mello because he strung his team around for a season but i dont because his offense is ridiculous and i respect that. pretty much what im saying is if your a hater you can find a reason to hate. but those who keep it real know why hate when you can respect you dont have to like them but respect them. and this doesnt go for just the heat,lakers, celtics, steelers, patriots, yankees etc...this is for life quit hating.

Steelers23_06
03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
you dont see the wizards, raptors or bucks getting hate...because they stink. MJ said this when questioned about his HOF speech. "people hate great...if your not talked about your not a winner"

jzero
03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
IMO, everyone overreacted because not every team has a huge dance party and announces they want to get 5 or 6 championships.
Of course they're gonna have high expectations as well as a target on their back.
I know because (my) Lakers usually have that target painted brightly on their back as well;)

That said...obviously there's the simple fact that they ARE a super trio and with that, people don't expect long periods of losing at any level. Doesn't really matter though. At the end of the day, they are clear favorites in the East (IMO) and as they gel more in the future, it's looking pretty bright in South Beach.

Just think big picture and realize its human nature for people to relish the downturns in any popular figure and/or team. Doesn't matter. It is what it is.

i believe it was 9 :rolleyes:

whitemamba33
03-26-2011, 05:54 PM
"Clearly Erik Spoelstra is doing a horrible job as coach. With three stars, the team should be winning upwards of 70 games, but they are something like 1-7 against the top teams.

Last night was just rock bottom for the Heat squad. They need a coach that can handle stars to the magnitude of LeBron and Wade, and an inexperienced coach thats just 40-years-old isn't going to get it done. They clearly have shown they can't execute down the stretch, especially against the Knicks and Magic this week.

The team would be performing much better under Riley, I just don't understand why he didn't put himself as coach before the season.

If the Heat don't win a title this year, Spoelstra will probably be fired on the spot and he should be, the team has way too much talent to be 1-7 against teams they are better than. "

That was your post from the begining of the month....so why didn't you just ask yourself why YOU overreacted instead of making this useless thread?

GoneGuru
03-26-2011, 05:59 PM
i love huge boobs

AddiX
03-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Will you stop these dumb azz threads already? The only thing your threads do is collect knick haters. Which makes no sense because Knicks have sucked for 10 yrs.

justinnum1
03-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Because u have wade and lebron... That shouldn't happen

:facepalm: Boston has pierce, kg, ray, and rondo, they shouldn't be struggling like they are either, right? And dont say they are playoff tested when they lost their glue guy in perk

Sixerlover
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
"Clearly Erik Spoelstra is doing a horrible job as coach. With three stars, the team should be winning upwards of 70 games, but they are something like 1-7 against the top teams.

Last night was just rock bottom for the Heat squad. They need a coach that can handle stars to the magnitude of LeBron and Wade, and an inexperienced coach thats just 40-years-old isn't going to get it done. They clearly have shown they can't execute down the stretch, especially against the Knicks and Magic this week.

The team would be performing much better under Riley, I just don't understand why he didn't put himself as coach before the season.

If the Heat don't win a title this year, Spoelstra will probably be fired on the spot and he should be, the team has way too much talent to be 1-7 against teams they are better than. "

That was your post from the begining of the month....so why didn't you just ask yourself why YOU overreacted instead of making this useless thread?
Ouch

TO to the CHI
03-26-2011, 06:25 PM
:facepalm: Boston has pierce, kg, ray, and rondo, they shouldn't be struggling like they are either, right? And dont say they are playoff tested when they lost their glue guy in perk

I really agree with this. At what point does the fact that the Celtics have been bad for a month warrant some concern instead of just being brushed aside? I expect the Heat to pass them, but am beginning to think the Magic could as well.

Fnom11
03-26-2011, 06:33 PM
It's a Heat thread, that's crazy that it's still open.

lakeshow3peat
03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
The Heat arent winning this year there is no favorite to win it in my opinion
I can see about 6 teams winning it above the Heat . No particular order Spurs , Dallas, Lakers , Celtics , Bulls , Thunder

TO to the CHI
03-26-2011, 06:43 PM
The Heat arent winning this year there is no favorite to win it in my opinion
I can see about 6 teams winning it above the Heat . No particular order Spurs , Dallas, Lakers , Celtics , Bulls , Thunder

I don't think the Heat will win it all either, but you have to concede that they have a chance. Especially if you think that all six of those teams could.

Fnom11
03-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't think the Heat will win it all either, but you have to concede that they have a chance. Especially if you think that all six of those teams could.

Exactly. The only teams that have a higher chance than the others is the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs and maybe the Bulls.

TO to the CHI
03-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Since my other posts were deleted, I will try to help you out. The Bulls inserted Boozer and Bogans into the starting lineup (that equals 3/5 not 4/5 returning starters). Moreover, the Bulls added Asik, Thomas, Brewer, Watson, and Korver to their bench. They also added a new head coach. If you factor in the injuries and the effect that those had on the starters, they played much of the year with only 2/5 returning starters.

The Heat brought in a couple of huge pieces and much of a bench, but the
"time to gell" argument does not hold water when other teams, such as the Bulls, have had a similar amount of turnover. It simply doesn't. The only arguable difference is the magnitude of putting Wade and James together, but again, they have played together before and it shouldn't have caused that much controversy.

The Heat get all this "hate" because the players and their fans have made a great deal of inflammatory comments. Those comments far outstrip what any other NBA team or fan base has done in past. You don't have to like it. That is just a fact.

Lake_Show2416
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
cuz ppl put to much emphasis on the regular season, which is overrated anyways and analyze a team on a game to game basis, just stupid

you can just cruise through the 1st half of the year, hear all the hate, turn it up a month before the playoffs and compete

marlinsfan24
03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
cuz ppl put to much emphasis on the regular season, which is overrated anyways and analyze a team on a game to game basis, just stupid

you can just cruise through the 1st half of the year, hear all the hate, turn it up a month before the playoffs and compete

Exactly. Spurs have only lost 15 games this season, but after each loss, people always start saying how overrated they are! What about their wins? The regular season isn't completely useless, but people need to stop using it as the indicator of exactly whats going to happen in the playoffs.

mrs rose
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM

its more hate than anything i cant wait for the playoffs.

Gootie42
03-26-2011, 07:59 PM
"Once the games start its gone be easy"

dodie53
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
they like it when the "evil" team loses

DoMeFavors
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Well the Heat had so much hype around them, as for the Knicks its basically just the fan base and NY media. The Knicks gave away a lot for two guys that made them worse. Knicks dont compare to Heat. Knicks are a bad team, in the West they wouldnt even have made the playoffs and I dont believe Heat lost to Cavs twice along with other terrible teams.

ElMarroAfamado
03-27-2011, 01:12 AM
"They'll probably win the championship this year."
Cmon everyone knows this. This is going to be the first of their 8th title in a row.