PDA

View Full Version : Sullinger NOT Entering Draft

RowanJournalist
03-26-2011, 01:43 AM
This draft is really going to suck.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6260339

NEWARK -- Here, then, Ohio State fans is your silver lining: Jared Sullinger says he is coming back.

Sitting in the Ohio State locker room following the top-seeded Buckeyes' 62-60 loss to Kentucky, the freshman said he would not be entering his name for the NBA draft and would return for his sophomore season.

"I'm going to be an Ohio State Buckeye next year," he said. "This isn't why I came here, to come in here and see my seniors in here crying. I came here to win a national championship."

Plenty of people make pledges in the rubble of an emotional loss only to change their mind later, when the sting and suddenness of the season fades and the promise of the NBA looms.

Sullinger, who had 21 points and 16 rebounds in his final game of the season, insists that won't happen.

"I'm a man of my word," Sullinger said. "I don't change my word and no one changes it for me. This is what I want."

Sullinger said he made the decision following the game, but coach Thad Matta said it's the message Sullinger has been sending to him all season.

"Oh he's been telling me that all along," Matta said. "And I believe it. He told me, draw me up a contract, whatever you need to do. I believe him when he says it."

Sportfan
03-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Good, I'm tired of all these one and done college players

iggypop123
03-26-2011, 01:45 AM
and the weakest draft in years gets worse. i think the cavs wouldnt have taken him anyways

hugepatsfan
03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
That's a bad time to take what a player says seriously. He sounded pretty convincing, but we won't know FOR SURE until the deadline passes.

Jewelz0376
03-26-2011, 01:53 AM
BS

I want to see him say this a couple weeks from now, when he thinks about being a top 3 pick and all the money he could risk losing if he got hurt...

The only way I could maybe buy him staying is if it's because of the looming cba negotiations..

HuRRiCaNeS324
03-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah, everyone would say he loves the college atmosphere too much to let it go so early. Not surprised.

Someone also got saved by a possible bust. I dont like his overall game that much.

John Walls Era
03-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Kinda wanted the Wizards to draft him. I hope he changes his mind.

knightstemplar
03-26-2011, 02:02 AM
ohio teams just always choke dont they

Sadds The Gr8
pretty surprising. but like others said i wanna see him say this in a month or so.

pd7631
Greg Monroe said the same thing last year. This means nothing.

Yanks All Day
03-26-2011, 02:05 AM
I think he's sincere, and I think this is the start of a trend. Yeah, passing on the draft means millions, but I think the looming lockout is going to have a huge effect on everything, especially considering what the NFL is going through. Most players make the real money during their second contract, so why waste a year sitting around waiting for the 2012 season when you can go after a National Championship? I think we see Sullinger, Irving, and possibly Barnes stay in school.

hugepatsfan
03-26-2011, 02:08 AM
I think he's sincere, and I think this is the start of a trend. Yeah, passing on the draft means millions, but I think the looming lockout is going to have a huge effect on everything, especially considering what the NFL is going through. Most players make the real money during their second contract, so why waste a year sitting around waiting for the 2012 season when you can go after a National Championship? I think we see Sullinger, Irving, and possibly Barnes stay in school.

I don't think that God could possibly hate CLE that much.

NBAfan4life
03-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Yeah, everyone would say he loves the college atmosphere too much to let it go so early. Not surprised.

Someone also got saved by a possible bust. I dont like his overall game that much.

This^^^

I dont think his game translates that well to pros. I guess will see when he comes.

shep33
03-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Give him a couple weeks and we'll see. I'd still take Derrick Williams, Kyrie Irving, or Harrison Barnes over him

shep33
03-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Derrick Williams IMO, is gonna be the next Tmac, hopefully minus the injuries

Hawkeye15
03-26-2011, 02:33 AM
honestly glad to hear it. We shall see if that is still the case once agents get in contact with him

hgtiger32
03-26-2011, 02:34 AM

Yeah same here

I kind of agree. Its hard to say what his future will be. I see a poor mans Blake Griffin.

haha wow, if that would happen I would poop my pants, no joke.

I don't think that God could possibly hate CLE that much.

that would be the worst case scenario if that happend, only thing that would make that worse is if the Cavs got 2 of the top 3 picks :)

Sadds The Gr8
03-26-2011, 02:35 AM
I kind of agree. Its hard to say what his future will be. I see a poor mans Blake Griffin.

:confused: they don't play like each other AT ALL. that's like comparing apples and oranges...

i don't see why he couldn't be a solid starting PF. i could see him averaging 14-18 ppg and 8-10 rpg

believeinNYK
03-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Damn sucks, makes the draft even weaker than it already was but IMO his game doesn't translate to well, I feel he won't be able to be dominant like in college against athletic stronger NBA pf and centers

If I'm the cavs I wouldve taken kyrie irving with the first pick regardless of sullinger in it or not

Lake_Show2416
03-26-2011, 03:08 AM
A weak draft class just got weaker, I like this kid and thought he was ready but I would probably stay as well, just cuz a potential lockout could interfere with a young players development, also doesn't hurt to get some more education

hgtiger32
03-26-2011, 03:14 AM
:confused: they don't play like each other AT ALL. that's like comparing apples and oranges...

i don't see why he couldn't be a solid starting PF. i could see him averaging 14-18 ppg and 8-10 rpg

how are they different?!?

BradyIsTheMan12
03-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Good for Sullinger if he keeps his word, plus there may be a lockout next year in the NBA anyways.

JIDsanity
03-26-2011, 03:17 AM
Well Barnes isnt coming out, and Im not sure if Irving should come out, so I know I am glad the Nets traded that pick

idrinkpepsi
03-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I'd seriously consider trading my first round draft pick if I was the general manager of teams with a pick in this draft. This class keeps getting weaker and weaker.

GoatMilk
03-26-2011, 04:13 AM
he's a little unathletic for my liking, but he'll be good

like most of you said, weak draft got even weaker.

GoneGuru
03-26-2011, 04:31 AM
he started getting picked apart by scouts as the draft loomed, things like his weight and the fact hes like only 6-7 without shoes, and his reach is short.

he went from being the number 1 pick for the last 2 months to like 8th or something.

trust me, this is a good draft, it just doesnt have a franchise guy in it, however lots of good 10 year guys, role players and possible all stars.

PrestigeWldWde
03-26-2011, 04:45 AM
BS

I want to see him say this a couple weeks from now, when he thinks about being a top 3 pick and all the money he could risk losing if he got hurt...
The only way I could maybe buy him staying is if it's because of the looming cba negotiations..

Exactly.
Willis McGahee ring a bell?

marvILLous
03-26-2011, 04:53 AM
he's the next big baby.. he just needs to add a mid range game and he'll be a decent player in the nba.. maybe like a really good 6th man

alencp3
03-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Anyone knows is Enes Kanter is entering the draft ?

RowanJournalist
03-26-2011, 06:04 AM
I think he'll stick to his word. I'm hearing rumors of a possible NBA lockout, so maybe he put that into consideration, regarding his decision to stay in college.

JiffyMix88
03-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Derrick Williams IMO, is gonna be the next Tmac, hopefully minus the injuries

:confused:

I don't see it but I do see him as a young version of Amare just not as fierce but someone whos big and who can attack

tmacsc2
03-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Seriously dude, "Stay in school dont be a fool" Van Wilder!

Madtown22
03-26-2011, 09:00 AM
he said that right after a loss in the sweet 16. He might change his mind. $$$$$$$$$

hineswardfan
03-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I wish they had kids either go before college, or stay for 4 years. One and done gets on my nerves...

h2r09
03-26-2011, 09:43 AM
good. all freshman should be forced to spend at least 3 years in college. the NBA AND college would be so much better for it it isnt funny.

the NBA is pretty bad right now with the amount of guys in the league who are way to young and it takes them 2 years to get their bodies close to how good they should be just to compete in the nba.

Mishmin
03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Questionable move sullinger. He's a top 3 pick right now. TAKE THE MONEY JARED.

The Jokemaker
03-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Good to hear, Stay in school, learn the game, and get an education.

Crackadalic
03-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow i can see a lot of teams trading their picks more then ever. The draft was already weak to begin with

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I think he changes his mind in a few weeks. But if he sticks with it good for him.

netsgiantsyanks
03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
we'll see come draft day.

goose15
03-26-2011, 12:34 PM
cool, now I'll know one player when college B-Ball starts next year..

Jaji
03-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Good for him. I like this kid. Wish him the best.

Jaji
03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
cool, now I'll know one player when college B-Ball starts next year..

lol

kozelkid
03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
One of the few, rare cases where I think a freshman needs to move on to the NBA. And let's cut all the education crap. Let's not be naive, he probably has tutors doing everything for him. As a player though, he has shown all that he needs to in the college level and will only diminish his improvement in his game by staying. Poor decision imo and he will certainly not be nearly as high of a pick as he would be this year. Similar to Hibbert and Noah deciding to stay an extra year. In Noah's case he went from a potential #2 overall to #9 the following year and Hibbert went from a 5-8 pick to #17.

Look, I think Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Barnes and Irving NEED to stay, but not Sullinger.

Arch Stanton
03-26-2011, 12:44 PM

I think he's pretty far from a bust. I see him as an All-Star in the NBA. Maybe you should look at your Miami Heat as a potential for filling that "Bust" category?

arkanian215
03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Damn sucks, makes the draft even weaker than it already was but IMO his game doesn't translate to well, I feel he won't be able to be dominant like in college against athletic stronger NBA pf and centers

If I'm the cavs I wouldve taken kyrie irving with the first pick regardless of sullinger in it or not

Yeah same here. He just doesn't have the athleticism to contest shots at the next level.

I'm not sure if Kyrie is in there.

kozelkid
03-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone knows is Enes Kanter is entering the draft ?

He is.

:confused:

I don't see it but I do see him as a young version of Amare just not as fierce but someone whos big and who can attack

His handles are much better than Amare.
He is more perimeter oriented. He reminds me a lot of Beasley. The difference however is that he is much better at drawing fouls than Beasley that should bode well for his efficiency in the NBA. More aggressive and hopefully won't settle for jumpers like Beasley did.
A combination of a Melo and Barkley if you will. I really like this kid and he isn't getting nearly enough hype imo. I really see him as a big time player.

kozelkid
03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah same here. He just doesn't have the athleticism to contest shots at the next level.

I'm not sure if Kyrie is in there.

Honestly I was sold on Kyrie until I got to see more of Derrick Williams recently. Especially that HUGE game against Duke.

Arch Stanton
03-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe the Cavs could get Derrick Williams and Kembe Walker?

Mell413
03-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Honestly I was sold on Kyrie until I got to see more of Derrick Williams recently. Especially that HUGE game against Duke.

Yeah I think that game might propel Williams into the #1 pick. With Sullinger staying for now those chances increase.

kozelkid
03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah I think that game might propel Williams into the #1 pick. With Sullinger staying for now those chances increase.

I never really thought Sullinger had a chance going #1 overall. I just feel that too many scouts won't like him due to his size and not being the most explosive player along with defensive liability. At the same time, he should be a top 5 pick and I can see him slipping to lower lottery next year if he stays. Granted, it doesn't necessarily seem like next year's draft will be much better unless Austin Rivers and Duke manages to convince Irving to stay another year.

dhopisthename
03-26-2011, 01:27 PM
if I were him I would definitely come out. he isn't going to go any higher in next draft then he will this year, but there is a good chance he goes much lower.

Nikeman
03-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I know this is off-topic.

But now that Harrison Barnes is not the god we all thought he was, does he also go back to UNC for a season? To polish his game up and become the dominant player he was thought. In my eyes, he's maybe not even a top 2 player on his own team.

jim51990
03-26-2011, 01:50 PM
i think its a smart move actually
his body right now is terrible
he would get eaten alive in the nba

Sadds The Gr8
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
how are they different?!?

Sullenger is an undersized, low post bruiser...Griffin is an athletic all-around PF. Sullenger beats you with strength, Griffin beats you with athleticism/power.

Frezhnitz
03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
sullinger will suck in the nba.

BallIsAll
03-26-2011, 04:15 PM
sullinger will suck in the nba.

isnt that what everyone said about ty hansbrough?

i think itll just take some time and he'll be good

MU and UW Fan
03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Most people I would applaud for staying in college, but I don't see the upside for Sullinger. He lacks two things. Height and leaping ability. Staying in college won't do anything for his game. He will put up similar numbers next year. Why risk getting hurt and passing up the money. Height and your leaping ability are your weaknesses and staying at Ohio St. won't do anything for you because you can't control those things. Well you can work on your leaping ability, but for a man his size he's never going to be a Blake Griffin type player. Who the heck even compared Sullinger and Griffin on this forum? How do you even compare them? Two different players.

pd1dish
03-26-2011, 08:53 PM
This^^^

I dont think his game translates that well to pros. I guess will see when he comes.

hes got a whole other dimension to his game that no one except the locals have seen. my high school played his high school when i was a senior (Sullinger was a junior) and Sullinger could knock down 3's and mid range jumpers at a high percentage. given that was in high school, but it means he has the ability to hit those shots which are vital for undersized PF's in the NBA which is what Sullinger is going to be. he must have a jump shot to be successful at the next level.

JWO35
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
OMFG!!!!!1
This draft is going to suckz, like that last one....or the one before that or the one before that(x10). 2003 Draft Class Best Everz!!!!!!1 Everyone else is the worse ever

-Average Response

DJakk
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
He will only be better in the future if he stays for another year.

BALLER71
03-26-2011, 09:14 PM
OMFG!!!!!1
This draft is going to suckz, like that last one....or the one before that or the one before that(x10). 2003 Draft Class Best Everz!!!!!!1 Everyone else is the worse ever

-Average Response

You're right. Every year we do hear "This draft sucks." But seriously, this year's draft really does look bad.

masalex1205
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
They say its a weak draft every year

BRICKCITYPIMP12
03-27-2011, 01:24 AM
haha nice nice.. i mos def. dont hate the nets for trading there pick.

kozelkid
03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
I know this is off-topic.

But now that Harrison Barnes is not the god we all thought he was, does he also go back to UNC for a season? To polish his game up and become the dominant player he was thought. In my eyes, he's maybe not even a top 2 player on his own team.

No way Barnes stays. He should, but he won't. It's been all about the NBA for him from day one. I agree, though, he won't be much in the next level. I think he has a chance of being a quality third option player, ALA Josh Howard (prime) or a Luol Deng, but that's about it. It's not even about polish for him, he just doesn't have the talent to be that stud. He's not explosive or athletic enough.

OMFG!!!!!1

-Average Response

The harsh reality, however, is that this draft won't be good. There is no clear superstar talented player like there usually is at least one in 50% or more of the drafts and the talent is rather shallow as well.

sargon21
03-27-2011, 02:21 AM
One of the few, rare cases where I think a freshman needs to move on to the NBA. And let's cut all the education crap. Let's not be naive, he probably has tutors doing everything for him. As a player though, he has shown all that he needs to in the college level and will only diminish his improvement in his game by staying. Poor decision imo and he will certainly not be nearly as high of a pick as he would be this year. Similar to Hibbert and Noah deciding to stay an extra year. In Noah's case he went from a potential #2 overall to #9 the following year and Hibbert went from a 5-8 pick to #17.

Look, I think Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Barnes and Irving NEED to stay, but not Sullinger.

I agree.

sargon21
03-27-2011, 02:22 AM
About Barnes, I really wasn't a believer at all of his in the early part of the season, but in the latter part he has really turned it on, making me a believer. At the next level though, I'm not really sure what he's capable of. I don't think he'll be a bust, just not a perennial all-star that some thought he would be.

jimbobjarree
03-27-2011, 02:23 AM
someone actually wants to stay in Ohio for once? :speechless:

The BodyGuard °
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Kemba Walker & Derrick Williams are gonna be a beast when they get in the NBA.

Williams = T.Mac
Walker = A.I - Wade

mike_noodles
03-27-2011, 10:42 AM
He should be proud of his decision. I wish more players would stay in school longer. It helps to weed out those with poor attitudes and work ethics.

MGB
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Idk, maybe he's hoping they get rid of the rookie wage scale? I can't think of another good reason to stay, unless he's staying all 4 years to get a degree.

homestarunner93
03-27-2011, 11:05 AM
I like it for college basketball, but it's dumb for Sullinger, he's a top 5 lock with a chance to go #1 overall.

drobe86
03-27-2011, 12:07 PM
smart move by him... He's not ready for the NBA and has a very low ceiling. We'll see what happens but the draft was gonna be weak anyway

Crackadalic
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
It might be time for fans of bad NBA teams like the Raptors to get a little concerned.

The reward for a sub-30-win season is usually a pretty good young player via the draft, but this year’s draft was already considered a weak one before its high-end talent started pulling out left, right and centre.

Ohio State forward Jared Sullinger was the latest to say he’s staying in school, telling reporters after the Buckeyes’ loss on Friday that he will return for his sophomore campaign.

Calling himself “a man of my word” Sullinger said he came to Ohio State to win a national championship and definitely will be returning.

Duke star freshman Kyrie Irving - the favourite to be picked first in the draft if he enters - has also said he plans to return to college. Texas star Tristan Thompson, of Brampton, had also said he planned to return, but a report on nbadraft.net said he had signed with an agent and would enter the draft after all. However, Thompson's mother, Andrea, denied the report, telling zagsblog.com her son had not signed and his decision has yet to be made.

Keep in mind with Irving and Sullinger that it is extremely rare for a player to say otherwise at this point. Too many star athletes to count have said in March or April that they definitely aren’t NBA-bound, before changing their tune a couple of months later.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2011/03/26/17768396.html

It happens every year. A player gets emotional after a tough lose in the tournament then changes their mind after they calm down.

Sullinger will be in this years draft. Im confident

ChiSox219
03-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Whats the point of entering the draft if there is going to be no NBA?

toovey107
03-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah ^.

I think a considerable amount of potential prospects might stay in school just in case there is an actual lock out. It certainly would effect my decision.

Crackadalic
03-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Whats the point of entering the draft if there is going to be no NBA?

You can say the same thing about the nfl yet players are still entering. Who knows what might happen. They can stay the extra year and suffer a big injury losing the money they could have made if they had entered early

ChiSox219
03-27-2011, 02:34 PM
You can say the same thing about the nfl yet players are still entering. Who knows what might happen. They can stay the extra year and suffer a big injury losing the money they could have made if they had entered early

It's not the same. Football you have far more seniors that are quality the prospects. You also see far more career altering injuries in football.

These guys aren't losing any money if there's no NBA. In fact, staying in school to get more polish vs sitting around during the lockout could dramatically increase the money some guys earn over their careers.

koreancabbage
03-27-2011, 02:34 PM
smart move by him... He's not ready for the NBA and has a very low ceiling. We'll see what happens but the draft was gonna be weak anyway

for him, it'll be a smart move to get the money if he as the low ceiling. If you're not ready for the NBA AND has a low ceiling, and you have been one of the best COLLEGE player in the nation, i would go for it just to make sure I get a chance to get my millions. NBA coaching staff will bring you up to speed in terms of conditioning for the regular season. but yea like you said, not NBA ready and low ceiling is a double whammy

BullsFan_1
03-27-2011, 02:58 PM
He reminds me of Sean May. Like a Sean May/Mike Sweetney combination.