PDA

View Full Version : Which is the worst coached team in the NBA?

NYKalltheway
03-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Pretty straight forward question. Which team has better talent and quality than what they're showing on the court?

J4KOP99
03-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Funny you ask that question...

It has to be your New York Knicks. Nobody on that team, coaches or players, are on the same page right now.

Cano4prez
03-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Prob the Knicks

JasonJohnHorn
03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
The Pacers under O'Brien were the worst, easily, but despite the lack of talent of the respective teams, the Raptors and the Pistons are pretty poorly coached in my book. But I'm not the greatest evaluater of coaching.

evadatam5150
Funny you ask that question...

It has to be your New York Knicks. Nobody on that team, coaches or players, are on the same page right now.

I agree, strange question considering the state of the Knicks.. Although I don't think you can blame Coach D for all the issues.. Basically he doesn't play defense for his guys and at some point you have to think these basketball players have to own up to their on court inadequacies on the defensive end of the floor.. Watching Amare trot up court as his guy is motoring in for a dunk says pretty much everything to who really should be blamed for some of these issues.. It's not always about coaching..

tangent12
Heat, Knicks and Raptors.. If I had to pick one, the Heat, no doubt about it. We all know that.

The Knicks are a close second but I think they are just having a tough time adjusting to each other whereas the Heat are just relying on pure star power to win games, not so much on a solid offensive/defensive system.

NYKalltheway
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I feel my team is very badly coached, I just wanted to see if neutrals and rivals feel the same :)

Chi StateOfMind
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
the knicks then atlanta

CityofTreez
03-25-2011, 08:21 PM
We're terrible, Paul Westphal is also an atrocious coach. I know he doesn't have the talent, but I know the Sac Kings have switched their starting lineups most in the league so far (i'm pretty sure). He benches players at the most odd moments, and DNP Casspi for awhile (when he was playing good ball).

Knicks are a more visible team though, they have some issues to face going into next year BIG Time!

tangent12
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I feel my team is very badly coached, I just wanted to see if neutrals and rivals feel the same :)

Thing with the Knicks is this though.. they were doing pretty good before the trade and D'antoni was the coach back then as well so it's kind of hard to point the finger at him specifically. I know organizing the team and coming up with strategies to make the team play effectively falls on his shoulders BUT the players HAVE and NEED to buy into his system and they also have to perform as well in order for things to work out. That's my take on it.

cbritz4
03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
atlanta, they have one of slowest offense in the league for no reason and they have a lot of talent on the roster and dont do **** in the playoffs

then maybe the pistons haha

Slimsim
03-25-2011, 08:23 PM
I would say the team with the worst record but i have to go with THE KNIcks. They do dumb **** way to often

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-25-2011, 08:24 PM
We're terrible, Paul Westphal is also an atrocious coach. I know he doesn't have the talent, but I know the Sac Kings have switched their starting lineups most in the league so far (i'm pretty sure). He benches players at the most odd moments, and DNP Casspi for awhile (when he was playing good ball).

Knicks are a more visible team though, they have some issues to face going into next year BIG Time!

I believe its detroit, they change it every game lol

Lim
03-25-2011, 08:24 PM
atlanta would be so much better with a good coach

Raidaz4Life
03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
This is hands down Atlanta for me. They are very well rounded talent wise but when they step foot on the court they just look like a dysfunctional mess.

NYKalltheway
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm not a 100% D'Antoni basher but sometimes his plays are non-existent, the team looks shaky after timeouts, I listen to him tell players "go outrun them we're faster than them" even if they're killing us in the paint or with good % shooting. Plus I'm not a fan of his short rotation.

I'd say that Atlanta and Minnesota look like they're not well coached either

asandhu23
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Warriors

cbritz4
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
atlanta, they have one of slowest offense in the league for no reason and they have a lot of talent on the roster and dont do **** in the playoffs

then maybe the pistons haha

Bulls_fan90
03-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Knicks, Miami, Detroit & Atlanta.

stawka
03-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Knicks, Hawks, Pistons and the Heat in their own way

marlinsfan24
03-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Hawks or Knicks. And the Heat are not poorly coached!

Bravo95
03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Hawks haven't had a respectable coach since Wilkens. :sigh:

CityofTreez
03-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I believe its detroit, they change it every game lol

Well then we're probably a close 2nd, we change our lineup every other game. :cry:

Bornknick73
03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
The prosecution will like to present to evidence exhibit A:

A certain unusable player, who had considerable talent, scored 19/12 a few weeks back, and with Love out tonight went for career highs 31/11. The same unusable player, who made the slightest mistake, couldnt see a minute in the Special Offense.

Then they trade a special, yet misunderstood, kid and showed him the door for a defensive oriented 6'8 SG. To get rid of a talented bum who was too fat and slow to run in the Special Offense.

Exhibit B:

Then one of the top 5 worst defenses tells a consensus defensive player "we cant use you" then releases him and he's blood in the water to several Elite teams. What did they know that we didnt?

Several conventional players with mutliple skills hit the market, but you choose the least talented of the bunch for familiarity. He understands the Special Offense. He cant do much of **** else but he'll do as he's told.

You're weakness is interior defense and overall defense and you release or trade 2 of the average to above average defenders/rebounders you have. Because they dont fit the Special Offense.

Some nameless scrub gets thrown into a deal with us and steals D-Wade's lunch. Plays tremendous defense. brings years of experience, but yet he gets no burn.Why? Because he doesnt fit the Special Offense.

This is why I consider my team the worst coached team. The Cavs may be the worst but they are far from the worst coached. I wonder what a guy like Byron could have gotten out of a kid like Randolph, or Rivers?

How would Thibs deploy a guy like Brewer? Against Wade? Kobe? Lebron? A 6'8 kid who can play a SG/SF solid on defense? The 50 win Mavs and Celts thought enough of him to try it. Why not the one of the worst defensive teams in the league? Because......

To disregard and underutilize resources which clearly fit a need, to justify a philosophy, to me, isnt coaching. One aspect of the game isnt the whole game. To focus on just one aspect of the game and disregard weakness in the name of that aspect is ****ing stupid.

I can deal with failures in other aspects of the game, just show me effort. You can fail all you want in a new offensive system but on the defensive side is where teams gel. Its where they can always fall back on to be a team. This team doesnt show me that. Once or twice in 20 games isnt gonna convince me.

You need a Special PG to run your Special Offense, yet how many times has a Special PG won the NBA title? Its a flawed Euro system that doesnt hold up to North American basketball, where physicality and mental toughness wins games (see Celtics 96-Knicks 86)

Defense and offensive talent is what wins championships and my team concentrates on only one aspect of this because of a coach's philosophy.

Just based on talent alone we are the worst coached team in the league by far. You can take your Special Offense and shove it.

AddiX
03-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Mike d wins this hands down, and it's safe to say he's done here. It's to bad we can't get rid of Dolan, I have a hard time believing if Donnie did this trade himself we would of gave up that many assets.

Supa
03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Knicks were fine before Melo arrived. Things don't work out and the coach gets the blames. Why not blame the front office for mis-judging the trades?

---

Chill_Will_24
03-25-2011, 10:31 PM
While i DO believe Mike D is one of the worst coaches in the NBA, i dont think hes the Knicks most pressing problem. The Knicks were doing well before the all star break (losses to the Cavs aside). Mike D is a scapegoat. He didnt want the trade to happen and neither did Walsh. Ppl are using bad coaching as an excuse to avoid accepting the truth that the Knicks problems are more foundamental and harder to fix than a bad coach. Their biggest and most dangerous problem is that they are paying max money to two of the most overrated stars in the NBA that dont compliment each other out there. Amare will struggle in a half court system while Melo and Billups thrive in it. Fields is a system role player and they are playing Turiaf and Jeffries at C.

sfattahian
03-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Warriors. With 3 potential all-stars innEllis Lee and Curry, they should be in the playoffs.

LakersA's49ers
03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
hawks are better than what theyre showing of late. milwaukee is underachieving, but they were missing jennings for a while.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Knicks.

Crackadalic
03-25-2011, 11:11 PM
The hawks coach by far. That team is way to talented to be blown out at home on 6 different occasions and losing even more games by double digits

Mike D is just not a good defensive coach at all. Ill cut him some slack because he had to coach more then 40 different players in a 3 year span so he never had a stable roster but until he starts preaching defense i want him gone by the summer

bmd1101
03-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Pretty straight forward question. Which team has better talent and quality than what they're showing on the court?

This is more of a flavor of the week question... This week its the Knicks, a couple weeks ago it was the Heat. Likely to be different before the end of the season.

The hawks are more of a personel problem, to many players playing out of position just making due with what they have. Not much they can do about it especially with a first year coach.

theheatles
03-25-2011, 11:16 PM
heat have a top 10 coaching staff in the league, it's ignorant to include them...but i could see the hawks and knicks benefiting the most from upgrade in coaching

bulls_world23
03-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Atlanta

heatking
03-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Heat and knicks... We spo is a great defensive
Coach but we have no offensive system.

Sadds The Gr8
03-25-2011, 11:22 PM
lol D'antoni hate thread. I think it's Atlanta, then NYK a close 2nd, and Miami 3rd

dnewguy
03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Hawks and T Wolves. The Knicks have a top 10 coach. He took the suns to the West finals, and was always competitive with the Lakers.....Melo is not the player you guys thought you were getting. Don't blame the Coach.

LionsFan..LOL
03-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Worst coached team overall would be the Pistons (**** Kuester) but the coach who gets the least out of his team has to be D'Antoni.

Korman12
03-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Washington, Detroit, Sacramento

Punk
03-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Atlanta. They hired a coach and his system is the same one that Woodson had. And he isn't as tough as Woodson. They have been blown out by 12 games in a month's span.

Atleast, D'antoni has a system but the players either haven't had time to understand it or it's not a good fit. He's just not a Stan Van Gundy loud and rowdy type motivator.

Crackadalic
03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Hawks and T Wolves. The Knicks have a top 10 coach. He took the suns to the West finals, and was always competitive with the Lakers.....Melo is not the player you guys thought you were getting. Don't blame the Coach.

Yea lets blame melo that the team doesnt play defense. Its melos fault we dont have a center. Its also melos fault that Mike doesnt stress defense like he should over the years. You can bash the trade which i have no problem with but to trash one player for the way the team is playing isnt fair.

Bravo95
03-26-2011, 12:24 AM
If Knicks fans want to trade coaches with the Hawks, I'm all for it.

Like I said in another thread, everything you needed to know about Larry Drew as a leader of men was revealed when he let his son quit on the Tar Heels.

CityofChaos
03-26-2011, 12:27 AM
1. Knicks
2. Warriors
3. Raptors

ChI_ShIzzLe
03-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Any team coached by Vinny Del Negro.

John Walls Era
03-26-2011, 12:38 AM
1. Knicks
2. Warriors
3. Raptors

Not really fair to put bad teams. They're suppose to be bad, what do you want the coaches to do?

1) Knicks

Dantoni's offense is overrated too. With the Suns, their offensive rating was always in the top 5. This years the Knicks off rtg is not in the top 5.

CityofChaos
03-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Not really fair to put bad teams. They're suppose to be bad, what do you want the coaches to do?

1) Knicks

Dantoni's offense is overrated too. With the Suns, their offensive rating was always in the top 5. This years the Knicks off rtg is not in the top 5.

The Warriors won 26 games last year with more than half their roster injured. Right now they are only 4 games ahead of last seasons record with a fully healthy roster w/ the addition of David Lee, Dorell Wright, and Lou Amundsun.

If youve been keeping up with them you would know how bad Keith Smart coaches. He basically put Curry in his dog house and has the weirdest in game rotations that even theWarriors owners scratch their heads about.

As for the raptors, I based my choice on years past when Bosh was still a rap.

Knicks21
03-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Knicks or Atlanta.