PDA

View Full Version : Which H.S. player would of benefitted the most from a year or two of college?

NBAfan4life
03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
My pick is Kevin Garnett

Great player first ballot HOF but I think a year in college would of helped him develop a better inside game. In college he would of been 4-5 player. Most of his career he has been more of a 3-4 player.

GoatMilk
03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Telfair

Crackadalic
03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Eddy Curry. A damn shame. He could have been one of the greater centers but now he's eating burgers:pity:

netsgiantsyanks
03-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Telfair

who?

Jewelz0376
03-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Telfair

this...I'd throw in livingston as well...

Bullsfan22
03-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Eddy Curry. A damn shame. He could have been one of the greater centers but now he's eating burgers:pity:

So your saying he wouldn't been able to afford burgers in college?

My pick would probably be Gerald Green.

beardown78
03-25-2011, 06:31 PM
J.R. Smith, maybe getting with the right college head coach would have helped him from A maturity standpoint and possibly helped him get A better basketball IQ. Two years of college for JR Smith and we're possibly talking about A top 3 shooting guard in the game today.

Sadds The Gr8
03-25-2011, 06:32 PM
all of the busts?

Lakers + Giants
03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Kwame Brown.

Crackadalic
03-25-2011, 06:40 PM
So your saying he wouldn't been able to afford burgers in college?

My pick would probably be Gerald Green.

Im saying he's just eating burgers instead of trying to become a better player. He is a career underachiever and its sad because he had the size and the post game to be a good nba center

The only thing i remember GG doing is the dunk contest. Didnt think he was a actually nba player

PhillyFaninLA
03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Every person ever born would benefit from at least some college and benefit even more by getting a full college experience both in the class and out of it and leaving with a degree and life experience.

dtmagnet
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Lebron, I keed I keed.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-25-2011, 06:51 PM
kwamay brown

LakersA's49ers
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Kwame brown!

X12Celtics3
03-25-2011, 07:07 PM
For some Celtics players, Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair come to mind.

Raph12
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Dwight Howard

Young and Stupid
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
My direct answer to the question: Darius Miles.

I think it's a good topic, but I think a more interesting one would be what effect playing college would have had on LeBron. Despite him being the best player in the NBA -- for three years running -- he seems to have trouble playing any style other than "LeBron-ball." I'm not one to hate on James -- I've actually been told to "get off LeBron's dick" multiple times -- but it's pretty easy to see that he's not very effective playing off the ball and possesses little-to-no post-game.

We see how good he is now, imagine if he could go down low and go to work or play off the ball and allow Wade to be a more dominant ball-handler. The sky's the limit for LeBron, it's just a matter of him expanding his game (even though he's probably the most versatile player in the NBA at this juncture).

Jemikz9Clutch
03-25-2011, 07:10 PM
IMO, all who have gone from prep to pros. they have talent but it's still raw on their young age. college not just helps them develop and polish their games but also on maturity side.

hugepatsfan
03-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Lebron should have gone to college and taken some Public Relations courses.

n83417
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I disagree with anyone saying Kwame Brown. If he went to college, NBA teams would have had a year or two, or three or four to see how bad he is, and he would have fallen to the late first round or second, and not have made half the money he has made.

Steelers23_06
03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Im saying he's just eating burgers instead of trying to become a better player. He is a career underachiever and its sad because he had the size and the post game to be a good nba center

The only thing i remember GG doing is the dunk contest. Didnt think he was a actually nba player

you do know gerald green was a sg/sf right. and thats instantly who i thought of. he was raw talent that never saw the light of day once he left boston.

championships
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Jermaine O'Neal. It took him awhile to develop in the NBA. Some college experience could have helped him

Wilson
03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't know if his game would be any better or worse right now, but how different would Kobe's early years have been if he spent time in college? I mean, imagine Kobe spent three years in college and still somehow was teamed up with Shaq when he entered the league - would they have won more championships? Would they both have been more mature?

Kobe has said before that if he went to college, the only coach he would have played for was Coach K, how much would that have changed Kobe's game?

Interesting, in my opinion...

CowboysKB24
03-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Kobe should have went to college for two years.

JR Smith should have went for a few years. He would have been a hell of a college player too.

Tdotraptors
03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
amir johnson. he would have been an impact player earlyer in his career

CowboysKB24
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Dwight Howard

Dwight did well his rookie season in the NBA, averaged a double double. He had no character issues and was ready to take on the NBA for the most part, on and off the court.

How would have he benefited?

Bravo95
03-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Josh Smith and JR Smith would be perennial all-stars if some quality D-1 coach actually taught them how to play the game and occasionally put a foot in their *****.

Trace
03-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Dwight did well his rookie season in the NBA, averaged a double double. He had no character issues and was ready to take on the NBA for the most part, on and off the court.

How would have he benefited?

Fundamentals.

RowanJournalist
03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Lou Williams (still a good player) but could have learned a lot more before entering the NBA.

TboneM3
03-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Kobe should have went to college for two years.

Sounds like you should have gone to college.:p

Geargo Wallace
03-25-2011, 09:47 PM
My pick is Kevin Garnett

Great player first ballot HOF but I think a year in college would of helped him develop a better inside game. In college he would of been 4-5 player. Most of his career he has been more of a 3-4 player.

I don't think college could have taught KG anything that he doesn't know how to do right now. I'm surprised you chose such a great player as your example.

Sync
03-25-2011, 09:53 PM
kWAmAy BROWB

ldawg
03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Bynum by far

Bullsfan22
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM

gerald green had to tools to be a star in this league

COOLbeans
Dorell Wright

COOLbeans
Monta Ellis

jeter4president
03-25-2011, 10:10 PM
All of the big men, and maybe lebron. College is where you learn post moves.

BluejaysFan08
03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Mr. Southbeach

CowboysKB24
03-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds like you should have gone to college.:p

:facepalm:It sounds like you should get a life. You are wrong too. :facepalm:

theheatles
03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Kobe, his career avg is hurting because of it

NBAfan4life
03-25-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't think college could have taught KG anything that he doesn't know how to do right now. I'm surprised you chose such a great player as your example.

I'm from Minnesota so I have seen plenty of Garnett. I just think it would of gave him a better post up game.

I think Garnett is one of the greatest of his generation.

DirtyThirty
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
deff telfair.

theheatles
03-25-2011, 10:46 PM
moses malone

MiamiWadeCounty
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Dorell Wright:

He has been playing great this year, however his first five seasons he was extremely inconsistent, injury-prone, and played off of only his athleticism. If he would have had two years of college, I think he could have started off his career producing similarly to how he is now.

knicks4life33
03-26-2011, 05:07 AM
lebron james , stoudamire , kobe , garnett lol

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I think there are some obvious choices: Kwambe Brown for one. But I think there are some less obvious chocies. Obviously Kobe has had an AMAZING career, especially since he got to jump on a contender in his rookie season, but college may have instilled in him a team-first attitude earlier in his career. He seems to play with the team-first mentality now, for the most part, but lets face it, it took him a few seasons longer than it should have to buy into the team-first mentality. His shooting touch would have been much better earlier on, and four years of college would have made him a more well-rounded player straight away.

But my first choice would be Tracey McGrady, like Kobe, in my opinion, he is one of those very talented players who is a great individual player, but has always had a difficult time buying into a team-first mentality that has helped guys like Duncan be such a success. I believe that college would have helped him develop his shot earlier in his career (most-not all, but most- of the best pure shooters spent time in college honing their skills), and would have taught him to buy into a system rather than just trying to be the best player on the floor, he would have learned, hopefully, to make sure he was playing for the best TEAM on the floor.

Wanting to be the best player on his team I think (as an oustider looking in) seemed to be the motivation for him leaving Toronto, but had he bought into the team system there, that TO team would have seen a lot of success with VD and McGrady at SF/SG and tough nosed front court players like Davis, Oakley and JYD working the boards and defending the paint. It is a missed opprotunity, and it is no coincidence that each team McGrady has left; Toronto, Orlando and Houston, all broke into the second round or deeper with out McGrady in the line up. Patience would have served McGrady well in TO and Orlando (Houston was a lost cause by his final two seasons).

I find guys like Battier, Prince, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird, Ray Allen, these guys learned a lot in college. Bird is a great example of a guy who was cocky, talented, but still knew it was about the team, as his assists, even early in his career, can show you. Guys like Kobe and McGrady always seemed like guys who were content knowing they were the best players coming off the court, while guys like Bird and Duncan always seemed like they are more concerned with being the best team walking off the court, and I think college helps with that a lot.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2011, 10:55 AM
These posts are a joke. Kobe? Dwight Howard? Garnett? Are you people serious? How about the legit young talented players who totally flopped in the NBA first and then we can be ridiculous and discuss how it *might* have helped the guys who have had huge success?

Sixerlover
03-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Kobe, LeBron, Dwight etc is laughable because of how much they've succeeded in the league.

I think Lou Williams is a great choice. He was a 2nd round pick in '05, if he even would've went to college for 1 year he would have been a lottery pick. College would have shot his stock way up, same with Monta

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I think Telfair, Kwame, Gerald Green could have benefited. Perk could also be a better player as well IMO if he went to college.

Gram
03-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Darius Miles.