PDA

View Full Version : Can Kobe Bryant pass Michael Jordan in all-time points?

mrblisterdundee
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Jordan, third on the scoring list, had 32,292 points. Bryant currently has 27,561 points and is still going strong. At his current average, he would need to play exactly 190 games to reach Jordan's mark. Bryant's scoring average dipped 7.7 percent from last season, but I can see him averaging at least 20 until his late 30s, if given the touches (there's no reason to believe he won't get them). He's averaged more than 67 games per season over 14 seasons (up until 2009-2010) and is already at 71 this season - he's getting slightly healthier as he gets older. Can Bryant keep going long enough to surpass Jordan on the all-time scoring list?

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
yes, he will pass MJ.

Niro
03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
yes

Raps08-09 Champ
03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
He'll reach MJ in 3 seasons.

Raceway24
03-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Hard not to with the head start he got

Sadds The Gr8
03-24-2011, 01:10 PM

this

ULT WARRIOR408
03-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I voted yes.

Yes he can but will he is a whole other story?

FuriousJatt
03-24-2011, 01:12 PM
He'll reach MJ in 3 seasons.

agreed.

when its all done, i think he'll be either 2nd or really close 3rd.

Dade County
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
NO... I don't think he can hold up physical.

He is not the same Kobe.

You have 5 titles Kobe, good night.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Much harder when the first eight seasons are spent sacrificing a good deal of his game for the team, with O'Neal as the focalpoint.

NJrockPD
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Much harder when the first eight seasons are spent sacrificing a good deal of his game for the team, with O'Neal as the focalpoint.

Yeah he was sacrificing his game by letting O'neal win him some titles.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM

MJ retired in his prime though. So MJ lost 2 seasons where he could have gotten at least 4600 in the 2 seasons combined.

That should make things even.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
yes

fadedmario
03-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Doesn't mean anything unless he takes some time off for baseball. Jordan went to college too.

nickdymez
03-24-2011, 02:22 PM

Explain that please. And dont just base your argument on "Kobe didnt go to college".

~Iggy~
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Sure he can, but don't interpret that as "Bryant is better than Jordan was."

NYKalltheway
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Doubt it but there's a chance of course

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Explain that please. And dont just base your argument on "Kobe didnt go to college".

By the time Jordan played his 1st minute of his NBA career, Kobe already had roughly 2,750 points at the same age is all he means.

xxdc2tegxx
03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
By the time Jordan played his 1st minute of his NBA career, Kobe already had roughly 2,750 points at the same age is all he means.

agreed:

Kobe is on pace to pass MJ. That's it - plain and simple.
It's not rocket science to figure out he's had more more available games.
No college + 2 yr. retirement + 1987 injury.

49erGiantLaker
03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm sure Kobe can.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
agreed:

yet I have a sneaking suspicion that bringing up the fact that Kobe has 4,800 less points in 20 more games today, will get me called a hater.

Its simply a question- Will Kobe pass MJ in total points? Yes or no?

ackar
03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Yes he will pass MJ barring serious injury.

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes. He can if he wants.

KNICKMOBB
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
kobe gonna be 2nd on the all-time scoring list when he retires

Klivlend
03-24-2011, 03:08 PM
yet I have a sneaking suspicion that bringing up the fact that Kobe has 4,800 less points in 20 more games today, will get me called a hater.

I was waiting fot this stat. No, this doesn't make you a hater. You're just looking at the bigger picture, which you should.

Geargo Wallace
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
It all depends if Kobe wants to. I think he'll want to. I would. Another thing for Kobe fans to put him up in the all-time rankings. Still not a top 10er in my books.

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Lol @ hawkeyes hes not a hater at all :rolleyes:
But always on Kobes case. Always.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Lol @ hawkeyes hes not a hater at all :rolleyes:
But always on Kobes case. Always.

I only get on the posters who blow him up into jesus's case haha

Mad respect for the man, but PSD is the home of overrating one's guy many times.

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
I only get on the posters who blow him up into jesus's case haha

Mad respect for the man, but PSD is the home of overrating one's guy many times.

True hawkeyes true, is kobe a 10er in your opinion? at least tenth?

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 03:37 PM
True hawkeyes true, is kobe a 10er in your opinion? at least tenth?

He has cleared top 10 for me, yes. #9 with the ability to slide up

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
It all depends if Kobe wants to. I think he'll want to. I would. Another thing for Kobe fans to put him up in the all-time rankings. Still not a top 10er in my books.

What does Kobe gotta do to be in "Geargo Wallace's" top ten?

JordansBulls
03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Yes no doubt. He has already played 20 more games as well.

Sync
03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
NO... I don't think he can hold up physical.

He is not the same Kobe.

You have 5 titles Kobe, good night.

:facepalm:

Geargo Wallace
03-24-2011, 03:46 PM
What does Kobe gotta do to be in "Geargo Wallace's" top ten?

donate 10 million dollars to me.

RaiderLakersA's
03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, Kobe should catch and pass Jordan in total overall points. This means nothing, as Jordan isn't #1 on that list. I'm fairly certain Kobe is shooting for the top, as he should.

But that said, all of that is below his priority of winning championships. That trumps all.

magichatnumber9
03-24-2011, 03:54 PM
If he really wants to I guess he could do it. But Michael took a lot of time off in his career so I don't think it really matters to be honest. The game was just way to easy for Michael Jordan and he got bored.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah he was sacrificing his game by letting O'neal win him some titles.

Hmmm....

Besides the fact that your comment is factually incorrect and has absolutely nothing to do with the topic (points scored), it is the kind of gratuitous jab that degenerates what could be a rational discussion into a bunch of shart-for-brains hating and hollering.

Congratulations. You fired the first shot.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 03:58 PM
MJ retired in his prime though. So MJ lost 2 seasons where he could have gotten at least 4600 in the 2 seasons combined.

That should make things even.

I'm willing to call it even.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 04:03 PM
agreed:

All true, as is the fact that Kobe had fewer available shots in those early seasons. Far fewer.

heyman321
03-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Um... Kobe didn't go to college. What more proof do you need?

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
There is 5,368 points difference.

25 points a game for a full season is 2,050
20 points a game for a full season is 1,640

I see no reason Kobe can't have 3 years averaging between 20 - 25 points even if he gets injured a misses some games I still think he can. Doesn't mean he's as good but he could do it.

Jayb587
03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
KObe will past jordan and will prolly be numer 1 when he retires. stop hatin on kobe tryin to find ways to discredit him. Plain and simple he didnt take time off when times go tough like jordan did and he was good enough to go to the nba straight from high school which jordan was not so stop hating.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 04:11 PM

A fact, by itself, ought not get anybody called a hater. 4,800 (4,731 as of today) fewer points in 3,402 fewer shots.

Yes. I'm willing to leave it at that. Nothing inferred.

Geargo Wallace
03-24-2011, 04:16 PM
All true, as is the fact that Kobe had fewer available shots in those early seasons. Far fewer.

If he was as good as Jordan in those early years he would have gotten those shots.

ManRam
03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd assume so. Hasn't he already passed MJ in games played? Even if he doesn't score 20+ for three more years, he's changed his game enough to sustain his career long enough to score 10+ at least for 5-6+ more years. He'll do it easily I think.

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
If he really wants to I guess he could do it. But Michael took a lot of time off in his career so I don't think it really matters to be honest. The game was just way to easy for Michael Jordan and he got bored.

Or.... Michael Jordan's fragile psyche was burned out, and required him to take a mental heath break.

Or.... It was a de facto 2-year suspension handed down by David Stern for gambling on NBA games, but in the interests of all involved (MJ and the NBA), Stern did not want to suffer the scandal, and allowed Jordan to call it a "retirement/hiatus".

;)

MickeyMgl
03-24-2011, 04:25 PM
If he was as good as Jordan in those early years he would have gotten those shots.

How good was Jordan at 18?

Edit: Actually, I guess maybe you expected great things from Bryant, and were disappointed? You expected him to be as good at 18 as Jordan was at 21? Or is it a statement that Jordan at 18 would have taken more shots than teammate Shaq at 24?

Mc Lovin
03-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I think he has a shot at breaking Abdul-Jabbar's record. I was looking at this last night. He's the only active player that has a chance.

Mc Lovin
03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
How good was Jordan at 18?

Edit: Actually, I guess maybe you expected great things from Bryant, and were disappointed? You expected him to be as good at 18 as Jordan was at 21? Or is it a statement that Jordan at 18 would have taken more shots than teammate Shaq at 24?

Good point. Jordan wasn't even the best player on his college team. Who knew what he would become but he wasn't that man at 18. Not even close.

Tony_Starks
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
No doubt he'll pass MJ. Question is can he get the #1 all time? I think if he wanted to play long enough he definitely could be he strikes me as the type that wants to walk away from the game while he's still at a high level, he's not going to stick around when he can't go anymore and get embarrassed by the young bucks......

A few more rings and its probably a wrap, really nothing else to prove at this point anyway.

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 04:35 PM
donate 10 million dollars to me.

Looks like he's gunna stay in Wallaces 11th spot.

RaiderLakersA's
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Just my opinion, but I wonder whether Jordan could have played with Shaq. Someone would have had to take the lesser role. Even with Jordan's legendary accuracy and efficiency, it's tough to make someone other than Shaq your primary scorer. Shaq by virtue of his position and dominance on the inside always had the highest percentage shot.

rabueed
03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I understand people not liking the Kobe love because everyone is always hanging onto his nuts wanting to suck them dry, but give the guy credit where credit is due.

This is a question of if he will pass MJ in total points. If you want to talk about the "what if's" with MJ, start a different topic in the Classic NBA thread. We all know MJ has the highest PPG average over a career.

No one would have compared Kobe to Malone if the title was "Can Kobe Bryant pass Karl Malone in all-time points?"

fresh prince
03-24-2011, 04:52 PM

True but this makes the assumption that Jordan would have been able to perform at the saem level as Kobe straight out of High School. Not saying he couldnt have but you never know.

It is what is is theres no revisionist history that needs to go down.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
True but this makes the assumption that Jordan would have been able to perform at the saem level as Kobe straight out of High School. Not saying he couldnt have but you never know.

It is what is is theres no revisionist history that needs to go down.

Unfortunately I don't live in speculation world. Only the world of facts. And I don't mean that in a smart *** way. I just don't care to speculate in sports.

NOBODY came out early back then. For a reason.

nickdymez
03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I'd assume so. Hasn't he already passed MJ in games played? Even if he doesn't score 20+ for three more years, he's changed his game enough to sustain his career long enough to score 10+ at least for 5-6+ more years. He'll do it easily I think.

Games played yes, shots, no...

kblo247
03-24-2011, 05:25 PM

No hate should be given at all because that is a face.

But did you also know that after the Suns game the other day Kobe is still short of MJ by 3,402 shot attempts despite playing more games?

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 05:28 PM
No hate should be given at all because that is a face.

But did you also know that after the Suns game the other day Kobe is still short of MJ by 3,402 shot attempts despite playing more games?

I did know that. Well, I knew Jordan had attempted a lot more shots at the same stage, games played wise.

And I didn't post it to discredit Kobe, more to say how far ahead, in total points, MJ was at the same amount of games played. If he is chasing total points, that number is all that matters, agreed?

rabueed
03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
I did know that. Well, I knew Jordan had attempted a lot more shots at the same stage, games played wise.

And I didn't post it to discredit Kobe, more to say how far ahead, in total points, MJ was at the same amount of games played. If he is chasing total points, that number is all that matters, agreed?

You may not have had the intention to discredit him, but it's how it's perceived. You're on PSD.

You did bring up the comparison, though. YOu turned it into another Kobe vs. ??? thread. Thanks a lot. :mad:

whitemamba33
03-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Yes he can and will pass MJ...although I don't think it matters at all because there are so many variables. That flaw the comparison...and it goes both ways. Kobe has some advantages in the comparision, and so does Jordan.

They aren't worth discussing because the only thing that matters is the end result: Yes I think he'll have more points....easily.

kblo247
03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah. I agree with you Hawk about the fact/stat you used because it is true. I'm just saying that as the shot attempts near equal, one would also think barring a freak occurrence (knock on wood), the point gap would either become real close or that Kobe would surpass him since he shoots a hell of a lot more 3's than MJ did.

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I understand people not liking the Kobe love because everyone is always hanging onto his nuts wanting to suck them dry, but give the guy credit where credit is due.

This is a question of if he will pass MJ in total points. If you want to talk about the "what if's" with MJ, start a different topic in the Classic NBA thread. We all know MJ has the highest PPG average over a career.

No one would have compared Kobe to Malone if the title was "Can Kobe Bryant pass Karl Malone in all-time points?"

No thats just you that wants to do that to him and I think its literal.

The reason people give him a hard time is because of Colorado (I believe he's guilty and should be in jail), he has repeatably trashed his roots, he got Shaq trade, he runs his mouth about coaches and teammates to the media, he is extremely arrogant, narcosis, he publicly demanded a trade, he's not a leader, not a human being and his own teammates and coaches have said bad things or refused to comment about him, that says a lot.

I have said multiple times that he is a great basketball player, not best or even second best ever but defiantly top 10. At the same time he's the scum of the earth and the world is a little worse because he was ever born, but the NBA is considerably better.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah. I agree with you Hawk about the fact/stat you used because it is true. I'm just saying that as the shot attempts near equal, one would also think barring a freak occurrence (knock on wood), the point gap would either become real close or that Kobe would surpass him since he shoots a hell of a lot more 3's than MJ did.

for sure. I obviously think Kobe passes MJ, unless he wakes up in the next 2 years and decides he doesn't want to play anymore, or gets hurt. Neither very realistic however, I think Kobe would play without a leg if he needed to

Sly Guy
03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
hard not to with the head start he got
+1

rabueed
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM

The reason people give him a hard time is because of Colorado (I believe he's guilty and should be in jail), he has repeatably trashed his roots, he got Shaq trade, he runs his mouth about coaches and teammates to the media, he is extremely arrogant, he publicly demanded a trade, and his own teammates and coaches have said bad things or refused to comment about him, that says a lot.

I have said multiple times that he is a great basketball player, not best or even second best ever but defiantly top 10. At the same time he's the scum of the earth and the world is a little worse because he was ever born, but the NBA is considerably better.

This has nothing to do with what I posted whatsoever. Read the rest of my post. That's what really mattered.

Don't be a idiot.

kblo247
03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
for sure. I obviously think Kobe passes MJ, unless he wakes up in the next 2 years and decides he doesn't want to play anymore, or gets hurt. Neither very realistic however, I think Kobe would play without a leg if he needed to

:laugh2:

I said that because while being a small sample, their playoff attempts and points have a relatively small separation with Kobe at 4012 attempts for 5052 points, and MJ at 4497 attempts for 5,987 points. The shorter the gap between the attempts, the shorter the gap between points have come between the two despite Kobe playing 19 more games there as well (both played 13 postseasons so far with a 14th this summer for Kobe).

Overall though I agree with you about passing MJ. I'm just not in the sure he can pass Kareem bunch as I have seen in some past discussions because too much has to go right

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2011, 05:43 PM
This has nothing to do with what I posted whatsoever. Read the rest of my post. That's what really mattered.

Don't be a idiot.

The guy that says that people want to suck Kobe's nuts dry is calling someone that explains why people don't like Kobe when the first person brought it up is calling the latter an idiot.

You're funny, not smart but pathetic and amusing as well.

rabueed
03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
The guy that says that people want to suck Kobe's nuts dry is calling someone that explains why people don't like Kobe when the first person brought it up is calling the latter an idiot.

You're funny, not smart but this is pathetic and amusing.

I think you just came on here to start a problem.

I wasn't talking about why people don't like Kobe. I was stating to stop comparing Kobe to MJ. I was also frustrated because MJ is brought up in every Kobe debate. If we were talking about Kobe passing Malone, this wouldn't have turned into some sort of Kobe v. MJ discussion.

I'm gonna ignore you now, since you seem to want to ignore my point of view and focus on Kobe's nuts.

Lakers + Giants
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Yes, he will pass MJ and finish his career 3rd behind Malone and Kareem.However, it doesn't mean kobe is a better player, at all. . so don't get too wet kobe fanboys.

kblo247
03-24-2011, 06:04 PM

The reason people give him a hard time is because of Colorado (I believe he just didn't pay the girl off initially like most ballers do), he has repeatably trashed his roots (although he had never once said anything bad about the place he was really raised in Italy, he did tell Phili he would tear their hearts out in the Finals and got boo'd ever since for following through), he got Shaq trade (I mean the fact Shaq told Buss him or me for an extra 80mil and Kobe to not comeback before the season even started don't matter), he runs his mouth about coaches and teammates to the media (we need to ignore that Phil is a constant provider of news material and that the one guy who Barnes, Artest, Fisher, and Odom all recently signed on to stay with specifically was him), he is extremely arrogant (it was never like Bird once told Worthy and Cooper in the Finals you can't f with me), narcosis (yeah a two time mvp never wore a check my stats shirt and a former teammate never once called himself Shaq ChamberJabareemnesse on a Lakers title DVD to describe his level of play), he publicly demanded a trade (Pierce never did the same, Magic didn't do it and get his coach fired, and there was no apology to the FO, fans, and teammates) , he's not a leader (it wasn't like he led the youngest team in the past twenty years to back to back finals and won a ring or that his second option coming in was only a one time all star who won 0 playoff games in 12 tries), not a human being (he doesn't have more charities than other current players, never flew across the country to spend two weeks with Odom in NY after his son died, never flew to New York to be with his best friend Fisher when his daughter was having cancer surgery, help youngings like Blake Griffin or Wesley Johnson, and donate to disaster victims because of tsunamis and hurricanes) and his own teammates and coaches have said bad things or refused to comment about him, that says a lot (not like Fisher said he chose to stay there because there is only one person in the league who has never not believed in him or been there for him, that LO says I need Kobe to push me, that Pau is on record of saying the biggest difference in my career is that he gives me strength when I need it and always tells me how good I am when I forget it, that Phil changed his mind from calling him uncoachable to an amazing leader who grew up, that Bynum said he sat him down and apologized for the tirade and explained his feelings and said he would do anything it took to help him reach his potential, or that guys like Fox/Horry all call him a better guy teammate and friend than Shaq to this day).

I have said multiple times that he is a great basketball player, not best or even second best ever but defiantly top 10. At the same time he's the scum of the earth and the world is a little worse (despite him boosting the economies of states, the Buss family, giving back money and time to the less fortunate, buying a team in financial choas in Italy so that the younger or older players who can't make the NBA would have a place to play basketball like his dad and Dantoni did on the same team) because he was ever born, but the NBA is considerably better.
Fixed :)

rabueed
03-24-2011, 06:15 PM

:laugh2:

RaiderLakersA's
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Awesome. :clap:

fresh prince
03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately I don't live in speculation world. Only the world of facts. And I don't mean that in a smart *** way. I just don't care to speculate in sports.

NOBODY came out early back then. For a reason.

??

You are specualting / assuming that Jordan would have had had as many or more points as Kobe IF he would have skipped college and went staight to the pro's.

I hate what ifs in sports more than anyone so I get what your saying but that is exactly what youre doing by saying... Well Kobe came straight outta high school so thats why he has more points.....

Chi StateOfMind
03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
yes and he will and i dont know why people are debating its a simple question do u think he will pass mj in points....it didnt say is kobe better or how kobe has played more...kinda like if barry sanders would of kept playing he woulda destroyed the rushing record where emmit smith played a million years to break it

championships
03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Cool..lol Some Fans of Phillie Teams always seem so bitter and angry. That guy sounds like it was his girlfriend Kobe banged in Colorado.

knightstemplar
03-24-2011, 07:43 PM
kobe will be the youngest to score 30,000 points soon, he will pass MJ in about 3 seasons

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Cool..lol Some Fans of Phillie Teams always seem so bitter and angry. That guy sounds like it was his girlfriend Kobe banged in Colorado.

alleged raped not banged

and I for one don't think its alleged

whitemamba33
03-24-2011, 08:14 PM
alleged raped not banged

You were there? Did you offer him some water at the 15 minute mark or something?

Point: "you for one" weren't there, and you have no idea what really happened.

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
You were there? Did you offer him some water at the 15 minute mark or something?

Now I'm going to say to you

Oh and thats why I said "I don't think" in my post, to make the point it was my opinion that he was guilty.

whitemamba33
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Now I'm going to say to you

No I wasn't there...which is why you don't see me making claims about what really happened. Can't say the same about you.

It really was a "cute" idea though...perhaps just put more thought into it next time.

PhillyFaninLA
03-24-2011, 08:33 PM
No I wasn't there...which is why you don't see me making claims about what really happened. Can't say the same about you.

It really was a "cute" idea though...perhaps just put more thought into it next time.

When you learn to take you own advice maybe I'll follow suit.

By claiming he's innocent you're doing the same thing you're criticizing me for doing so you're a hypocrite.

whitemamba33
03-24-2011, 08:37 PM

My advice to you was not to make stupid accusations unless you were there and know what happened.

I've taken my own advice.

Step up and do the same.

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah kblo247 :burn: his ***

mrblisterdundee
03-24-2011, 08:44 PM

What head start? Jordan entered the league only three years later than Bryant. Let's not forget that Jordan averaged 271 percent more points per game than Bryant his first season. His second season, Jordan averaged 47 percent more points per game. His third season, Jordan averaged 86 percent more points per game. His fourth season, Jordan averaged 56 percent more points per game. That doesn't look like a head start; it looks like an equalizer.

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
What head start? Jordan entered the league only three years later than Bryant. Let's not forget that Jordan averaged 271 percent more points per game than Bryant his first season. His second season, Jordan averaged 47 percent more points per game. His third season, Jordan averaged 86 percent more points per game. His fourth season, Jordan averaged 56 percent more points per game. That doesn't look like a head start; it looks like an equalizer.

:clap: someone with a brain

whitemamba33
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM

By claiming he's innocent you're doing the same thing you're criticizing me for doing so you're a hypocrite.

Please quote where I put that I think she's innocent.

Go ahead...I'll wait :)

EDIT: ...I didn't think so.

Lim
03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
No doubt he'll pass MJ. Question is can he get the #1 all time? I think if he wanted to play long enough he definitely could be he strikes me as the type that wants to walk away from the game while he's still at a high level, he's not going to stick around when he can't go anymore and get embarrassed by the young bucks......

A few more rings and its probably a wrap, really nothing else to prove at this point anyway.

i agree i think this is a way more interesting topic. if he wanted to he could easily play till hes 40. he has prepared himself amazingly well for the twilight of his career. he has lost A LOT of athleticism yet he can still efficiently score 25 ppg. i can see him scoring 18 ppg at age 38 for example with his current play style. only question is will his ego let him take a lesser role as he ages. much more interesting topic then this imo.

JasonJohnHorn
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Absolutely, but that said, MJ did take a couple breaks on his way to 32 000+. Had he not retired twice, he likely would be at the top of the list.

amos1er
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM

I think that your opinion of Kobe's rape accusation in Colorado is based on jealousy and hate and you have no actual evidence other than jealousy and hate to support your opinion.

That is my opinion. :D

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 10:57 PM
??

You are specualting / assuming that Jordan would have had had as many or more points as Kobe IF he would have skipped college and went staight to the pro's.

I hate what ifs in sports more than anyone so I get what your saying but that is exactly what youre doing by saying... Well Kobe came straight outta high school so thats why he has more points.....

I never said that. I simply pointed out that by the time Jordan entered the NBA, Kobe already had 2750 points on him at the same age. How is that speculating that Jordan would have had those points?

I said Kobe had a head start. Is that false? Nope, it sure isn't.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 11:00 PM

hahaha, nice dude

rabzouz 96
03-24-2011, 11:51 PM
lol this should really not be a problem at all for the likes of kobe, bron and durant as mj liked to retire prematurely and frequently.

hard_candy
03-25-2011, 12:40 AM
MJ missed AT LEAST 4 seasons in his prime. One early on due to a foot injury, 2 right in the middle of his career due to his "retirement" and then at least one or two more right after his second "retirement."

That's at least 9K to 10K points unaccounted for, simply due to MJ following his intuition and muse. Career comparisons are completely irrelevant as a result. It is arguable that Jordan could have finished with 10 consecutive rings, realistically speaking if he had not twice retired during his primes.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2011, 12:53 AM
MJ missed AT LEAST 4 seasons in his prime. One early on due to a foot injury, 2 right in the middle of his career due to his "retirement" and then at least one or two more right after his second "retirement."

That's at least 9K to 10K points unaccounted for, simply due to MJ following his intuition and muse. Career comparisons are completely irrelevant as a result. It is arguable that Jordan could have finished with 10 consecutive rings, realistically speaking if he had not twice retired during his primes.

well MJ did miss that time, and did get hurt, etc. This has no bearing on Kobe's accomplishments.

CowboysKB24
03-25-2011, 12:54 AM
If he plays long enough, sure why not. Will it affect or change Kobe's or Jordan's legacy? No. It doesn't mean too much.

Some people are acting like being the all-time leading scorers mean you are the best player in the game. It is not that big of a deal if Kobe passes Jordan. Don't worry guys, Jordan will still be the GOAT

MickeyMgl
03-25-2011, 01:56 AM
There is a sizable gap between Karl Malone in 2nd place and Michael Jordan in 3rd. That is where I think Kobe will land. 3rd all time.

MickeyMgl
03-25-2011, 02:05 AM
yes and he will and i dont know why people are debating its a simple question do u think he will pass mj in points....it didnt say is kobe better or how kobe has played more...kinda like if barry sanders would of kept playing he woulda destroyed the rushing record where emmit smith played a million years to break it

The discussions start to spiral out of control when Jordan fans or Kobe haters (or both) get defensive and reflexively attack Bryant's overall merits (as a player and even as a human being), instead of sticking to the specific question, and not getting their panties in a bunch.

Factual question: Will he or won't he?

You may choose to add relevant facts like "more games" or "fewer shots", etc., but geez.... relax.

MickeyMgl
03-25-2011, 02:07 AM
alleged raped not banged

You can think what you want, but the fact is that it is alleged, and only alleged. Look up "alleged".

smiddy012
03-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Yeah, MJ decided to play baseball because basketball was too easy for him lol

C-Style
03-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Yup Kobe started too young...compare them at 21... and he would still have ways to go... but by doing that his career stats will up to 28/6/5 46%, choose ur poison haters

Hunter48MVP
03-25-2011, 03:27 AM
yes

JaysRapsPack
03-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Yeah Kobe's gonna pass Jordan.

I think all the Kobe hate is about the Kobe of 5 or 6 years ago Immature Sulky Kobe. I was not a fan of that Kobe Bryant, but that Kobe no longer resides in the NBA.
The Bryant we have had for the last 4 or 5 years now is the player I would take above all others playing the game currently if I needed to win 1 game.
He's a GD killer.

Then again the hate may just come from the comparisons to MJ. (Who is the best player I've ever watched play the game.)

rabueed
03-25-2011, 05:56 AM

MJ was in his prime for 13 seasons? I mean, I know he's the best ever, but seriously?

Yup Kobe started too young...compare them at 21... and he would still have ways to go... but by doing that his career stats will up to 28/6/5 46%, choose ur poison haters

This is beautiful. :cool:

but I don't think there's a whole lot of hate in this thread. Just another deterred discussion from the actual topic.

RapOZo
03-25-2011, 08:39 AM
the top 5 scorer of ALL TIME with also 5 championship Rings is not in your top 10 list LOL :clap::clap:
YOU DON'T HAVE 9 PLAYERS BETTER THAN KOBE IN INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENTS/TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS.
YOU JUST DON'T WANT TO PUT HIM IN YOUR FAVORITISM BASED ON "DON'T KNOW WHAT" BOOK

Hawkeye15
03-25-2011, 08:57 AM
MJ was in his prime for 13 seasons? I mean, I know he's the best ever, but seriously?

that is the crazy thing about MJ. If you even look at his rookie season, his advanced numbers are that of a completely elite player. By year 3 (would have been year 2 if not for injury), he was in his prime (at least his level of play was). One of the reasons MJ is easily considered the GOAT is not only because of his pure statistical dominance, accolades, rings, awards, etc, but the sheer consistency over his career. There probably wasn't a year after his second year, that he wasn't the best player in the NBA, until his Washington days

So yes, his prime lasted 12 years, with 10.25 seasons played in that time.

Sorry to get off track, but sometimes it needs to be touched on how good the guy really was.

I will add, this is also why Kobe is in my top 10. His numbers don't match up to MJ's, but Kobe's ability to be a top 3 player for so damn long is very, very impressive, with a peak as the best player in the game for a couple years.