PDA

View Full Version : TRG switching from Chevrolet to Ford

NASCAR Diva#3
03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Ford Racing’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series lineup will grow by one and Chevrolet’s will drop by one when team owner Kevin Buckler and his No. 71 Sprint Cup team switch manufacturers next month. Buckler on Wednesday confirmed that he reached an agreement to get new Ford Fusions from Roush Fenway Racing and FR-9 engines from Roush Yates Racing Engines. The change becomes effective with the April 9 race at Texas Motor Speedway, his first in NASCAR without Chevrolet.

Buckler told a NASCAR radio show that his first goal in NASCAR was to survive, qualify for races and compete on a budget. Now that his underfinanced team has done that--and reached the top-35 in owner points--he’s ready to move forward by running closer to the front.

“I want to win,” he said. “I don’t want to spend my time racing against the bottom 15 teams. I’ve been a winner in every form of racing I’ve ever tackled, and I want to be a winner in NASCAR. To do that, we need new, state-of-the-art cars and engines--equipment as good as anyone else out there has.”

Buckler and rookie driver Andy Lally will get cars and engines under a “light technological support program” from Roush Fenway and Roush Yates.

“My partners and I are going to have to shoulder a heavier financial load to do this,” Buckler said, “and we couldn’t have done this without the support of our sponsor, Super Eco Fuel Saver. But it’s time for us to take a big step up and see if we can compete at this level.”

His TRG organization has used 10 drivers in its 76 Cup starts: Lally, Hermie Sadler, Bobby Labonte, Chad McCumbee, Tony Raines, Mike Bliss, Mike Skinner, Brendan Gaughan, David Gilliland and Landon Cassill. They haven’t won a pole, a race or earned a top-five finish, and have only two top-10s and 15 lead-lap finishes in those 76 starts.

Buckler’s short-lived Camping World Truck Series team won a race at Mansfield, Ohio, in 2008 with Donny Lia. Using nine drivers in 51 races, the Chevrolet-based truck team had no poles, one win, two top-fives, 12 top-10s and 26 lead-lap finishes.

With the switch, Ford’s full-schedule lineup grows to 11 cars. Chevrolet will now have 16 that generally try to run every race.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110323/NASCAR/110329950&template=printart

Nascar-NJDevils
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Kool. The more Fords the better.