PDA

View Full Version : One down: Coach K would turn down Lakers if/when Philip retires

lakers4sho
03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Coach K would turn down Lakers

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The last time Phil Jackson retired from the Los Angeles Lakers in 2004 the team made a strong push to lure Mike Krzyzewski away from Duke. It was an offer Krzyzewski seriously considered before eventually turning down.

Krzyzewski said Wednesday his answer would be the same if the Lakers, who could be in the market for a head coach if Jackson goes through with his plan to retire after the season, decided to call him again.

"I've never thought of ever leaving Duke for another school but there were three serious times where I almost left to go to the pros," Krzyzewski said. "One was when Dave Gavitt took over the Celtics [in 1990], another was with the Trailblazers [in 1994] and the one that I took to a really far level was the Lakers situation. They were great with me. I just could not give up what I've done and gotten at Duke. It just wasn't worth it."

Krzyzewski, who has won four national titles at Duke, was reportedly offered a five-year, $40 million deal after Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak met with him around the time of the 2004 NBA draft. Kupchak would later fly to meet Krzyzewski in North Carolina while Kobe Bryant reportedly tried to recruit Krzyzewski to come to the Lakers over the phone.

Ultimately Krzyzewski decided to stay, saying at the time, "Your heart has to be in whatever you lead. It became apparent that this decision was somewhat easier to make because you have to follow your heart and lead with it and Duke has always taken up my whole heart."

Despite forming a close relationship with Bryant and Lamar Odom as the head coach of Team USA, Krzyzewski, 64, said he will continue to watch his NBA players from afar during the season but has no intention of coaching them full-time.

"I didn't know I'd have the opportunity to coach internationally again until Jerry Colangelo asked me," Krzyzewski said. "I love that. It's made me a better a coach and it's made me love the NBA even more but I'm good with where I'm at. I'm too old to do anything else."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6251794

New Power House
03-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Bring Popovich!

Chacarron
03-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I don't think a college coach is what we would go after. I know it's Coach K, but I would much rather have a veteran NBA coach like Sloan.

Hellcrooner
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Pops pops pops pops pops pops pops pops pops

showtym24
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
I'd love sloan.

showtym24
03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Pop isnt a realistic option.

handle
03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Sloan, please. He seems sour and uptight, and I can't imagine him getting along well with the players, but he's still our best option. Let Shaw stay on as assistant, and when Sloan leaves in a couple of years and Kobe's career is just about a wrap, THEN Shaw can take over.

Hellcrooner
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Pop isnt a realistic option.

His contract expires this summer.
If theres a lockout Duncan may decide to retire.

They are not winning a ring if they dont do it this year.

Unrealistic?

Not at all.

KillaInstinct24
03-24-2011, 02:09 AM
Bring Popovich!

dude seriously, pop hates the media, hates attention, hates the glamour that is los angeles and the lakers. he's a blue collar guy. he doesnt wanna leave the spurs and i dont want him

Purple&Gold24
03-24-2011, 03:03 AM
well phil is coming back so no worries :)

handle
03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
well phil is coming back so no worries :)

Despite what Phil has been saying, if we win the championship again, I see it as 50/50. If we lose, 0%.

Mcdoh
03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
sloan..if not then shaw

J4KOP99
03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I think we may stay in-house once Phil retires. No way we get Pop and I doubt we go after Sloan. Coach K would be interesting, but why would he ever leave Duke?

The1ronHorse
03-24-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm not really to happy on hiring either sloan or pop. And then again I like Brian Shaw, but of course the problem is will the players respect following somebody with a lack of experience and get behind a person who hasn't been a big personality in the game. I'm not sure if Kobe could follow a guy who he and shaq lead to the finals. I would like to see Brian Shaw takeover, but it's one of those situations where a guy who used to play on your team and you were better then is now telling you what to do. Kinda like Joe Girardi. I believe the players respect shaw, but the question is do they respect him enough to follow his command. IDK it's going to be interesting, I would welcome Coach K, but he is only 1 year younger then Phil and doesn't wana leave Duke so this is going to be a tough situation when Phil does hang it up.

LakeShowRaider
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm not really to happy on hiring either sloan or pop. And then again I like Brian Shaw, but of course the problem is will the players respect following somebody with a lack of experience and get behind a person who hasn't been a big personality in the game. I'm not sure if Kobe could follow a guy who he and shaq lead to the finals. I would like to see Brian Shaw takeover, but it's one of those situations where a guy who used to play on your team and you were better then is now telling you what to do. Kinda like Joe Girardi. I believe the players respect shaw, but the question is do they respect him enough to follow his command. IDK it's going to be interesting, I would welcome Coach K, but he is only 1 year younger then Phil and doesn't wana leave Duke so this is going to be a tough situation when Phil does hang it up.

That's a great point but look at the Cletics. All 4 of their all stars are better than Doc ever was. So it's possible. However they're from different decades and never played on the same team.

Also there's a reason why great players don't make great coaches. You don't necessarily have to respect Shaw as a player but you do have to respect him as a person and a coach.

LA_Raiders
03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
I think Sloan deserves us. He needs a ring...

Lakersfan2483
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Good, I have never been interested in Coach K as the Lakers' head coach.

Lakersfan2483
03-24-2011, 07:27 PM

Sloan is a very good coach, hard nosed and defensive minded. I don't think his offensive system is the best in the world, but I am sure he would be willing to change and or modify some things if offered the job.

lakers4sho
03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Sloan is a very good coach, hard nosed and defensive minded. I don't think his offensive system is the best in the world, but I am sure he would be willing to change and or modify some things if offered the job.

We would need a point guard though.

RoyalG333
03-24-2011, 10:14 PM
PJ will retire...at least for now I think he will...

I think B Shaw will be unique in that he is homegrown.

I would rather have a coach who was a player who played under PJ and coached alongside PJ. Think of the knowledge.

Coach K would be nice, but he has not proven he can win at the NBA level.

Popovich would be nice, but I don't think he would work in LA.

Adelman, no. This is the Lakers were talkin about.

Doc Rivers? No. Why? I mean he is a good coach, but I think B Shaw would be just as good if not better.

Larry Brown? Might not be a bad idea cuz he CAN win. But he might be too stubborn for the egos on this team.

Kevj77
03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Are we going to ditch the triangle if Phil retires? If not then Shaw is our next coach. Pop isn't leaving the Spurs for LA. Sloan sounded like he was done, he is even older than Phil at 68. Time off could change that, but I think he stays retired.

My gut feeling is we don't get a big name coach and hire from within.

Hellcrooner
03-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Are we going to ditch the triangle if Phil retires? If not then Shaw is our next coach. Pop isn't leaving the Spurs for LA. Sloan sounded like he was done, he is even older than Phil at 68. Time off could change that, but I think he stays retired.

My gut feeling is we don't get a big name coach and hire from within.

We SHOULD.

I mean the only coach that has ever had ANY success with triangle is Phil.

So an impersonator is not a good idea.

New Power House
03-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Offer Popovich 10 million a year and he will leave Sananton in a sec,particularly,if he can not take his team to the finals and win it!

New Power House
03-25-2011, 12:04 AM
dude seriously, pop hates the media, hates attention, hates the glamour that is los angeles and the lakers. he's a blue collar guy. he doesnt wanna leave the spurs and i dont want him

Hey is your opinion vs mine! 10 million a year makes people love the attention and the glamor! We do not really know what the Lakers are going to do and is just speculation. Have fun! Dreaming is for free around here.:D

New Power House
03-25-2011, 12:07 AM

It will be very sad to find out one day that Cupcake has been saving the place for his body Clark Kent! I would just die that day. This is very possible! :facepalm:

Reclaim
03-25-2011, 12:36 AM

That's what we said the last time we hired someone away from the Jazz.:cry:

Iceman_9
03-25-2011, 12:41 AM
1.) bring back phil
2.) sloan
3.) pop

That will be my order as far as who will coach the team next year..

J4KOP99
03-25-2011, 12:48 AM
I can't believe this many of you would want Popovich. I ****ing hate that guy. I don't care how good he is.

midwestlaker75
03-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Don't like Coach K, Hate Duke, Don't like anybody that played for Duke except Elton Brand and Grant Hill. You might as well bring in Bobby Knight and Dick Vitale too. This job should go to Brian Shaw, The players know him, respect him and I believe will play for him. Jerry Sloan is good coach and so is Gregg Popovich, neither would do well in Los Angeles ask Rudy T. The Lakers need a special coach, It's job that you cannot just plug a coach into. Pop and Sloan would melt under the hot lights of L.A. and the personalities on this team would drive them crazy.

Kevj77
03-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Offer Popovich 10 million a year and he will leave Sananton in a sec,particularly,if he can not take his team to the finals and win it!I think Pop has a lot more loyalty to his players then you think. He definately has more control in San Antonio. If I actually had a million dollars I bet it all that he won't be our next coach.

This is a guy who once compared the Lakers 2004 offseason to the dissolution of the Soviet Union and said there should be a trade commission to veto stupid trades after we landed Gasol. He hates us.

Hunter48MVP
03-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Sloan or Shaw are my choice

Hellcrooner
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Don't like Coach K, Hate Duke, Don't like anybody that played for Duke except Elton Brand and Grant Hill. You might as well bring in Bobby Knight and Dick Vitale too. This job should go to Brian Shaw, The players know him, respect him and I believe will play for him. Jerry Sloan is good coach and so is Gregg Popovich, neither would do well in Los Angeles ask Rudy T. The Lakers need a special coach, It's job that you cannot just plug a coach into. Pop and Sloan would melt under the hot lights of L.A. and the personalities on this team would drive them crazy.

ask him what? how to try to make the playoffs with Chuky atkins beign your starting pg? and Brian grant your center? with kobe injured for a large chunk of season?

oh yeah Rudy t is totally guilty that he didnt manage to make playoffs...:rolleyes: