PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill Best Defender In The NBA

thephoenixson28
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I just want to know peoples opinion on this. Can grant hill win defensive player of the year, and or make 1st team all defensive team. I think so, and I'm not being biased.

bovice163
03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Hell ****ing no.

DerekRE_3
03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Dwight Howard has it locked up for as long as he has his athleticism. Grant Hill may be a good defender, but he doesn't affect an entire area like Dwight does.

Jewelz0376
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I just want to know peoples opinion on this. Can grant hill win defensive player of the year, and or make 1st team all defensive team. I think so, and I'm not being biased.

Hell no....and no

come on man...defensive player of the year?? :laugh2:

nyanks79
1st team all defense will have to be Iggy or Bron at SF IMO.

Hawkeye15
not happening with all the premier wing defenders out there. Hill's opponent counterproduction is barely above average, and his team's defense is pretty bad (23/30th). There is no way they give a player off a bad defensive team consideration for that award, or even 1st team all NBA ahead of Iggy, Deng, Brewer, and numerous others

whitemamba33
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
He played well last night...but Kobe still dropped 42 or something like that.

If you are trying to deflect any bias, it might be helpful to not have his picture in your sig. Just sayin...

Avenged
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Doesn't help when he's grabbing and elbowing a lot. But I'm a Lakers fan, maybe I'm bias.

Lake_Show2416
03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Dwight has defensive player locked up till he retires ha

Most of the time Lebron will finish 2nd to Dwight, n he's a SF

so to answer your question, no.

all team defense is like a gold glove award... purely given on reputation n players stature instead of a players actual performance for the year

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Dwight has defensive player locked up till he retires ha

Most of the time Lebron will finish 2nd to Dwight, n he's a SF

so to answer your question, no.

all team defense is like a gold glove award... purely given on reputation n players stature instead of a players actual performance for the year

it seems that a couple of players on that team every year fit this description

Shady66
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
it seems that a couple of players on that team every year fit this description

Best sig of all time.

I think Grant deserves to be on the 2nd or 3rd defencive team, but no way for dpoy.

thephoenixson28
03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm just saying he shut down Dwill,Ellis,Durant and other superstars. Kobe did drop 42 but grant made it real hard on him. Maybe cuz Hill is a wing player he won't get defensive player of the year. IMO that award mostly goes to a Big man. But he does deserve 1st team all defensive team.

kdspurman
03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
The fact that a guy like Bruce Bowen never got it I dont see Grant Hill getting it. That isnt to say he doesnt deserve it, but when it comes to this it seems all the people look at who vote is at bpg/rpg/spg... in my opinion... which probably isnt fair but hey

nightBULL
03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Best defender in the NBA?!?

He's not even the best defender at his position.

SeoulBeatz
03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm assuming you mean perimeter defender. And maybe I'm being a homer but i think tht belongs to Iggy this year. But i've seen a few PHX games and Grant's D definitely goes unnoticed. He is a very good defender and makes big plays on D, maybe if he was a decade younger he could be the best perimeter defender in the league, but his lateral quickness is a bit of a hinderance.

shep33
03-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm just saying he shut down Dwill,Ellis,Durant and other superstars. Kobe did drop 42 but grant made it real hard on him. Maybe cuz Hill is a wing player he won't get defensive player of the year. IMO that award mostly goes to a Big man. But he does deserve 1st team all defensive team.

He's an excellent defender, and at his age it is truly remarkable. Best defender, is gonna be tough, I mean D12 is the best defensive player, KG is also up there.

He deserves to be first team in my books, however, the league will pick Lebron over him, partly due to his popularity, but he himself is a heck of a defender off the ball.

FinsSuperBowl
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
how can you get defensive player of the year when your team is one of the worst defensive teams in the nba. You cant be serious. With that logic Monta Ellis should make 1st defensive team then

FinsSuperBowl
03-23-2011, 01:04 PM
So hill is a better defender than Artest? Lets be serious

thephoenixson28
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
The fact that a guy like Bruce Bowen never got it I dont see Grant Hill getting it. That isnt to say he doesnt deserve it, but when it comes to this it seems all the people look at who vote is at bpg/rpg/spg... in my opinion... which probably isnt fair but heyThis is the best explanation. Also alot of the time people just look at names of the players.

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 01:07 PM

you can't just isolate a few games man. There have been a fair amount of wings who have been doing it all year. If a wing is winning it, it had better be Iggy.

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Rondo
R. Brewer
Iggy
KG
Howard

that is my 1st team all Defense. Of course, it won't look like that when all is said and done.

Raph12
03-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Post defender - Dwight
Perimeter defender - Iggy
Overall defensive player - Dwight

Avenged
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Rondo
R. Brewer
Iggy
KG
Howard

that is my 1st team all Defense. Of course, it won't look like that when all is said and done.

Nope, needs more star power :laugh2:

Brewer and Iggy will most likely be left out and replaced by Wade and Lebron.

thephoenixson28
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
how can you get defensive player of the year when your team is one of the worst defensive teams in the nba. You cant be serious. With that logic Monta Ellis should make 1st defensive team then Who is talking about the team. I think ever since the trade suns have been top 10 in defense, maybe top 5 not sure but I know it's somewhere around there. Artest is better than what he is, cuz of the team around him. I will pick Hill over Artest.

Avenged
03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Who is talking about the team. I think ever since the trade suns have been top 10 in defense, maybe top 5 not sure but I know it's somewhere around there. Artest is better than what he is, cuz of the team around him. I will pick Hill over Artest.

Artest has been known as a great defender since he entered the league, not when he joined the Lakers. Artest is a player who has actually won the defensive player of the year. Him being in the Lakers has nothing to do with it.

Rocketsfan85
03-23-2011, 01:18 PM
He's a very underrated defender in the league just lk Paul Pierce is as well

Sadds The Gr8
03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Rondo
R. Brewer
Iggy
KG
Howard

yea u know they're gonna be stupid and replace Brewer with like Wade or Kobe. Iggy will prolly be replaced by Lebron and make the 2nd team. The all defensive team has none of my credibility. i don't take it seriously at all.

whitemamba33
03-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Who is talking about the team. I think ever since the trade suns have been top 10 in defense, maybe top 5 not sure but I know it's somewhere around there. Artest is better than what he is, cuz of the team around him. I will pick Hill over Artest.

...huh? Artest was known as a great defensive player on every team he's been on. Please don't tell me that Sacramento and Indiana made him look like a better defender lol.

magichatnumber9
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I almost pissed on myself. I'm not biased. STFU

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
yea u know they're gonna be stupid and replace Brewer with like Wade or Kobe. Iggy will prolly be replaced by Lebron and make the 2nd team. The all defensive team has none of my credibility. i don't take it seriously at all.

yep. The sheer fact that Battier and Bowen were continually snubbed made me stop caring about that team years ago.

bulls_world23
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
He is a top 10 maybe, but not 5 for sure

Steelers23_06
03-23-2011, 01:40 PM
so lemme get this straight in PSD's eyes iggy is the better defender than lebron...hahahahahaha thats why half these threads i dont waste my time in. lebron is hands down the better defender than iggy he isnt even second it goes bron pierce artest iggy kd then grant imo. lebrons d is ridiculous. he can play man because of his combination of size speed and athleticism and his zone d might just be the best in the league because he will come on the weakside and block centers (along with wade's ability to play the weakside so good as well they can get by with a below average center) and any wing driving the lane.

and as far as grant goes...eff that uncle tom fab five all day haha

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
so lemme get this straight in PSD's eyes iggy is the better defender than lebron...hahahahahaha thats why half these threads i dont waste my time in. lebron is hands down the better defender than iggy he isnt even second it goes bron pierce iggy kd then grant imo. lebrons d is ridiculous. he can play man because of his combination of size speed and athleticism and his zone d might just be the best in the league because he will come on the weakside and block centers (along with wade's ability to play the weakside so good as well they can get by with a below average center) and any wing driving the lane.

and as far as grant goes...eff that uncle tome fab five all day haha

Iggy is playing the best perimeter defense in the NBA this year dude. Laugh all you want, it won't change the fact.

Avenged
03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
I think Lebron is a terrific weak side defender. :shrug: His weak side blocks always make the highlight reel. (This is not to say I don't think he's a good defender overall, I just think he excels at that particularly)

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/iguodalas-victim-list.php

Chronz posted this a while back, but its eye opening.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=iguodan01&p2=bryanko01

Iggy is good but theres no downfall in kobe's stats against him.

thephoenixson28
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Artest has been known as a great defender since he entered the league, not when he joined the Lakers. Artest is a player who has actually won the defensive player of the year. Him being in the Lakers has nothing to do with it.Dont get me wrong Artest is a Great defender. But he asked who I would rather have. I think Artest defense shows cuz he is on a great defensive team. That's what I was trying to get at if you understand.

Steelers23_06
03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
you do know the game that they posted stats for his d was lebron's second game with the heat right? and also failed to mention how lebron kept him to only 10 points. and we'll see how good he locks him down on the next game when lebron is feeling hot. if you said this to any nba gm, coach, or player they would laugh in your face. lebron's d is wayyyy better than iggy's. your reasoning is an article from a sixers fan. lol i wonder who a sixers fan is going to think is the better defender. i guarentee you lebron drops atleast 25-30 the next game against them.

justinnum1
03-23-2011, 01:53 PM
no

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Dont get me wrong Artest is a Great defender. But he asked who I would rather have. I think Artest defense shows cuz he is on a great defensive team. That's what I was trying to get at if you understand.

Artest has been an excellent defender in every team he has played

GoatMilk
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
he kicked kobe's *** last night late 4th and OT's

kobe got his 42, but Grant did a great job. have to look beyond kobe's points
props to Grant

what I love about him is his tenacity. guards kobe, when they played the clips he was guarding Blake Griffin pretty well. Blake was getting pissed (i didnt see their game the other day, im talking about a game in december)

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=iguodan01&p2=bryanko01

Iggy is good but theres no downfall in kobe's stats against him.

I am talking this year alone dude. Iggy has been the best perimeter defender. Kobe had a good game the 2nd time they played, but the first time they played Iggy absolutely shut him down on 3-11 shooting.

Sadds The Gr8
03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
so lemme get this straight in PSD's eyes iggy is the better defender than lebron...hahahahahaha thats why half these threads i dont waste my time in. lebron is hands down the better defender than iggy he isnt even second it goes bron pierce artest iggy kd then grant imo. lebrons d is ridiculous. he can play man because of his combination of size speed and athleticism and his zone d might just be the best in the league because he will come on the weakside and block centers (along with wade's ability to play the weakside so good as well they can get by with a below average center) and any wing driving the lane.

:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 02:39 PM
you do know the game that they posted stats for his d was lebron's second game with the heat right? and also failed to mention how lebron kept him to only 10 points. and we'll see how good he locks him down on the next game when lebron is feeling hot. if you said this to any nba gm, coach, or player they would laugh in your face. lebron's d is wayyyy better than iggy's. your reasoning is an article from a sixers fan. lol i wonder who a sixers fan is going to think is the better defender. i guarentee you lebron drops atleast 25-30 the next game against them.

that fan pulled statistics from various reputable sources, and pulled muplitle all stars out that Iggy shut down.

LeBron is a top defender, but Iggy has been better this year.

How on earth would you know what any GM would say?

I am not concerned with your guarantee's dude.

Did you know since that article was posted, Iggy's case has become stronger?

Bruno
03-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd have to agree that Iggy has been the best perimeter defender this year. Chronz has a link displaying exactly why, and his 76ers have been one of the most surprising teams this season. He should take Gerald Wallaces spot on the all-first team, defensive team this year.

Baller1
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't know about the best in the NBA, but what he's doing at age 38 (39 maybe?) is pretty incredible.

JonnyBrav000
03-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Why is Grant Hill an uncle Tom? Becuase you heard some other idiot say it on tv? Or because Grant Hill is a smart educated black man? Or is it because Grant Hill doesn't dress like an idiot with his underwear showing and his pants around his ankles???

You have got some nerve. If anything you are an uncle Tom. Would you call Martin Luther King an uncle Tom? This is why us minorities have been placed in a box because of the inability of some to even think like a real human being. MTV and BET and radio is blocking your ability to think for yourself. Grow up already. Also Jalen Rose should be ashamed of himself for allowing that sort of point of view to be on the documentary without amending it. I am sure he doesn't feel like an Uncle Tom when he cashes his checks courtesy of ESPN and the NBA.

Anyway, Lebron is not the best wing Defender. He is a great help defender and plays the passing lane great but not a good on the ball defender. He isn't even the best defender on his team (D.Wade). The best wing defender in basketball is hard to say because so much emphasis in the rules is put onto offense, plus guys like Lebron and Durant getting ticky tac calls, when in fact some of the time they are commiting offensive fouls. Defensively I like Battier, T. Prince, Brewer (when guarding the SF) and Iggy. And I agree Paul Pierce is underrated as a defender. On some nights Ron Artest can shut any superstar down.

stejay
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Howard and Artest are the best defenders in the L right now, IMO

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Artest can't do it for 82 games, 4 quarters a night anymore though. Hasn't been able to for 2 years. He is a great defender when they need him to be, but he takes nights off. You can see by his opponent's counterproduction alone he doesn't shut guys down on a nightly basis anymore. His lockdown defensive days on a consistent basis are in the past.

FuriousJatt
03-23-2011, 03:12 PM
IMO hes not even first team

MacFitz92
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
It'll probably be 1. Dwight 2. LeBron/Chandler

As far as perimeter defenders go I'd take: Iguodala, T. Allen, Thabo, Battier, etc. all over Hill.

Steelers23_06
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Why is Grant Hill an uncle Tom? Becuase you heard some other idiot say it on tv? Or because Grant Hill is a smart educated black man? Or is it because Grant Hill doesn't dress like an idiot with his underwear showing and his pants around his ankles???

You have got some nerve. If anything you are an uncle Tom. Would you call Martin Luther King an uncle Tom? This is why us minorities have been placed in a box because of the inability of some to even think like a real human being. MTV and BET and radio is blocking your ability to think for yourself. Grow up already. Also Jalen Rose should be ashamed of himself for allowing that sort of point of view to be on the documentary without amending it. I am sure he doesn't feel like an Uncle Tom when he cashes his checks courtesy of ESPN and the NBA.

Anyway, Lebron is not the best wing Defender. He is a great help defender and plays the passing lane great but not a good on the ball defender. He isn't even the best defender on his team (D.Wade). The best wing defender in basketball is hard to say because so much emphasis in the rules is put onto offense, plus guys like Lebron and Durant getting ticky tac calls, when in fact some of the time they are commiting offensive fouls. Defensively I like Battier, T. Prince, Brewer (when guarding the SF) and Iggy. And I agree Paul Pierce is underrated as a defender. On some nights Ron Artest can shut any superstar down.

haha your funny it was a joke calm down little freedom fighter. i like grant hill hes a great player and good guy. but if you guys watched the all star game kobe would have broke the record if lebron didnt play lock down d in the end of the game. idk i just dont see iggy doing the things lebron does on the defensive end.

MacFitz92
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM

I don't see any way you could call Artest one of the best defenders in this league at this stage of his career.

Steelers23_06
03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
and dwade is not a better defender than lebron. wade has a huge weakness off defending the screen. thats why lebron has to to come from the weakside alot. trust me i watch A LOT of heat games.

X12Celtics3
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I love Grant Hill, but no. He is a good defender, but not THAT good.

ewmania
03-23-2011, 03:42 PM
hill is a good defender. but dwight will be defensive player of the year

i don't think he's the best defender at his position but for a guy who plays in a system where defense makes no sense he's doing a pretty well job

i believe if he playing in a defensive system his defense wouldnt be so underrated

but i believe he will make 2nd or 1st defensive team. he's already in the catergories

Mcdoh
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
nope

ewmania
03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
haha your funny it was a joke calm down little freedom fighter. i like grant hill hes a great player and good guy. but if you guys watched the all star game kobe would have broke the record if lebron didnt play lock down d in the end of the game. idk i just dont see iggy doing the things lebron does on the defensive end.

lebron plays some of the best lock-down D in the nba... but iggy plays the best lock down D in the nba, period

thats iggy's strongest point about his game. Lebron on the other hand defense isnt his strongest point. Melo usually owns lebron and durant owned him in that last game

Iggy has shut down mostly every elite offense player in the NBA and any NBA player a tell u the exact same thing

stejay
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Agree there brother...:clap:

bringinwood
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Artest can't do it for 82 games, 4 quarters a night anymore though. Hasn't been able to for 2 years. He is a great defender when they need him to be, but he takes nights off. You can see by his opponent's counterproduction alone he doesn't shut guys down on a nightly basis anymore. His lockdown defensive days on a consistent basis are in the past.

Yeah seriously...

Artest is top 10-15, definitely not top 2...

Just speaking in terms of wing defenders i'd take Iguodala and Brewer over him in a second...

_Supreme_
03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I love Grant Hill, but not a chance in hell.

stejay
03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't see any way you could call Artest one of the best defenders in this league at this stage of his career.

Maybe my homer glasses are playing a part slightly here.... :p

smiddy012
03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Dwights the DPOY at the very least (assuming he doesn't win MVP).

ElMarroAfamado
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
haha you are not biased but then I look at your nick, your avatar and your sig. hahahahhahahha
Wow.

And yeah he sure is a defensive stopper holding Kobe to 42 points last night and Ron Artest to 18 haha

ElMarroAfamado
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
and just because he plays the part and gives the impression he is great defensively doesnt mean he is...look at Sasha Vujajic on defense haha ha

bringinwood
03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
haha you are not biased but then I look at your nick, your avatar and your sig. hahahahhahahha
Wow.

And yeah he sure is a defensive stopper holding Kobe to 42 points last night and Ron Artest to 18 haha

I wouldn't judge him based on how many points he let up in 5.5 quarters of basketball yesterday...

Kobe had a hell of a time getting his shot off... He didn't have a clear look all night... Each shot was highly contested... If he still beats you after those factors are placed in, tip your hat because there isn't a defender alive that's going to stop you...

kblo247
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM

I am talking this year alone dude. Iggy has been the best perimeter defender. Kobe had a good game the 2nd time they played, but the first time they played Iggy absolutely shut him down on 3-11 shooting.

Problem with that Kobe stat this year is he hurt his hand in that game. You obviously didn't watch it to cite that

kblo247
03-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Kevin Durant and Paul Pierce wish you would tell him that as well.

You can cite last year when he had plantar fascitis most of the season, but when it mattered in the postseason he consistently locked down except against the cross match kings in PHX.

This year his defense was better once Barnes went down and he got his customary 30 plus minutes instead of in the 20's (his scoring just sucked before the break). He still has the ability every game though to guard his guy one on one so that Kone doesn't have to guard the best guy and the team doesn't have to send help though, which says a lot about him in comparison to others.

Iggu deserves 1st team though, no doubt. Ron is a 2nd or 3rd team guy to me as he has had some victims as well this year especially since the break.

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Kevin Durant and Paul Pierce wish you would tell him that as well.

You can cite last year when he had plantar fascitis most of the season, but when it mattered in the postseason he consistently locked down except against the cross match kings in PHX

the point stands, Artest can't do it all season, and all playoffs anymore. There are a few guys who can. Its not a slap at Ron, he is simply older now. When he needs to he can buckle down with the best of them. But the consistent effort isn't there like it was when he was younger.

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
kblo, I have never seen you talk about anyone but a Laker. Am I missing something?

kblo247
03-23-2011, 05:31 PM
kblo, I have never seen you talk about anyone but a Laker. Am I missing something?

Depends. I've talked about the Bulls in their forum, Melo, and about the Knicks. Just don't generally like to hear the what does a Laker fan know about our guy stick when you do so, which is why I usually stick to talking to the Bulls, then Melo Nuggets, and some Knick fans (got a few cool Heat and Magic fans too).

Discuss the Celtics, Magic, Heat, Blazers, and Suns on another site so as to not deal with a back and forward here with some people. Mavs aren't worth my time to post about or to argue with their fanbase for, same with ATL, until they actually show me something when it matters. Have respect for the Spurs, get a kick out of Don, but I know the fact is that LA owns them historically. I also don't need to discuss the Hornets since I go to college in Louisiana and see every game of theirs and CP3 bugs the hell out of me. Also think KD is fairly overrated and that Russ's growth is what really made OKC make the jump last year after watching him at UCLA.

If I had to name non-Lakers for my faves it would consists of Deron, Melo, D12, Wade, Manu, Tony, Tim, Dirk, Kidd, and Monta (my fantasy guy). You already know that LeBron (win something when it matters and/or develop the weaknesses because I've seen many be anointed before and not win anything) isn't someone I value and neither is Paul (just watching him bugs me because of the way he flops and flails on plays when he really doesn't have to)

Other than that it is the Laker and Wrestling forum for me in general

b1e9a8r5s
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
I think Deng should be 1st team all defense.

dodie53
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
dwight will win the defensive player of the year award,
Hill will be in the 2nd team

evadatam5150
03-23-2011, 08:06 PM

This is laughable.. Good defender but best...?? In a word... NO..

LA_Raiders
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
NO, 2nd team yes...

thephoenixson28
03-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Here is a good article on grant hill.

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix-suns/2011/2/18/1990398/grant-hill-elite-defender-of-nbas-best-players

this is why I think he should make 1st team all defense. Maybe defensive player of the year is stretching it.

People always look at how much people score on other people but never look at how many shots they put up. Lebron James is the only player to actually put hill in his place. But look at everyone else.

OaklandsFinest
03-23-2011, 09:12 PM
First off Grant is from Duke so.... it's impossible for me to co-sign him as a player, that being said he's very solid. I think way too many people think because he's returned from his 9 year hiatus of injuries to have a serviceable career that there needs to be a parade and he needs to be touted. He's very SOLID, but he's nowhere near first team all defense and realistically anything beyond second team shouldn't be relevant. But for craps and giggles if we were to make teams beyond second team I could see him 6th or 7th team as a wing defender. He's not better than Iggy, Brewer, Battier, Artest, Deng, or even honestly he'd probably not even a better defender that Pierce..

DCB/LAL
03-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Grant Hill was getting lit up before Kobe got tired which was around the start of overtime. Regardless the guy is a good defender but I dont think he makes 1st team..

DwayneMVPwade
03-23-2011, 09:41 PM
not defensive player of the year, but i think he can possibly make a defensive team

sunnydayin'zona
03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Grant Hill was getting lit up before Kobe got tired which was around the start of overtime. Regardless the guy is a good defender but I dont think he makes 1st team..

he did not get lit up...kobe struggled for every point he got all game, until hill fouled out in 3OT.

Chi StateOfMind
03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
that would be a no...im sorry i mean HELL NO!!!!!

DCB/LAL
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
he did not get lit up...kobe struggled for every point he got all game, until hill fouled out in 3OT.

Kobe was 11 of 17 or something like that at one point in the 4th quater then he just ran out of gas and went cold....id say that is getting lit up.

akagiredsuns
03-23-2011, 10:48 PM
1st team all defense will have to be Iggy or Bron at SF IMO.

LeBron? All-Defense? :laugh2: That is the #1 laugh of the day on PSD. Melo will get it at SF before Bron ever does & Melo's D SUCKS. Bron can't play D. :laugh: Seriously bro, that was an epic fail. :facepalm:

Dwight Howard has it locked up hook, line, and sinker. This thread is pointless. Grant Hill. :laugh: Oh, gotta love PSD and the wild imaginations of some here. :p

Hawkeye15
03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
LeBron? All-Defense? :laugh2: That is the #1 laugh of the day on PSD. Melo will get it at SF before Bron ever does & Melo's D SUCKS. Bron can't play D. :laugh: Seriously bro, that was an epic fail. :facepalm:

Dwight Howard has it locked up hook, line, and sinker. This thread is pointless. Grant Hill. :laugh: Oh, gotta love PSD and the wild imaginations of some here. :p

you really don't think LeBron won't be on the 1st team all defense? He has dominant defensive stats, and is a media darling. He is nearly a shoe in.

Melo? Hate much?

Gotta love your arrogance with this post dude. Sure I am not down with LeBron being on the 1st team (even though he will), but there is no way you leave him off 2nd team.

sunsfan88
03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Nah he aint winning defensive player of the year but he should easily be on the All Defensive team. He's a better defender than Igoudala, LeBron etc.

sunnydayin'zona
03-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Nah he aint winning defensive player of the year but he should easily be on the All Defensive team. He's a better defender than Igoudala, LeBron etc.

naa, iggy is the best wing defender in the nba this year. hill's good, but not that good.

Sixerlover
03-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Another day another terrible wing performance against the Sixers.

Joe Johnson 5-14 for 13 points.

Iguodala is the defensive player of the year. But it will go to Dwight.

Chi StateOfMind
03-24-2011, 12:27 AM

this

MrfadeawayJB
03-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Grant Hill might be a top 5 defender at his position, he is probably top 10 though for sure

Sixerlover
03-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I think Deng should be 1st team all defense.

Over who?

Raph12
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM

Iggy is the "perimeter DPOY" but no player in the league deserves the overall DPOY over Dwight.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2011, 08:29 AM
I am on board calling Iggy the best perimeter defender this season, but Dwight still owns the title of best defender. His effect is felt all over the floor, not just outside.

ManRam
03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Definitely underrated. I don't even think he's getting enough credit here. Best player? Obviously not. First team? I've actually heard a few people murmur it...but probably more as a hyperbole more than anything else.

He's a tremendously underrated defender though. His on-ball and off-ball defense is spectacular.

I'll agree with Hawkeye about Iggy's defense; it's been remarkable. I haven't seen a ton of 76ers games, but he has stood out big time when I have. I do think that Dwight holds the title down because of his impact. IMO, no perimeter defender will have the impact Dwight has anytime soon. He is far more of a gamechanger than even the best of any complete lockdown wing defender. He can turn 4 other scrubs into a top 5 defensive unit year in and year out.

king4day
03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
It's not just a few games. Someone posted a Grant Hill defensive praise thread a couple months ago with a dozen or so examples.

He won't win DPOY nor 1st team all defensive, but he will guaranteed be on one of the teams.

Scoring points like Kobe did doesn't tell the story. It's how difficult it was to get those shots. Nobody stops the great, just gives them a hard time.

sep11ie
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Grant Hill hasn't been in the league long enough to get consideration for that. If he ever gets to be a household name he'll have a chance.

Soxfan54
03-24-2011, 12:52 PM
dwight howard has it locked up for as long as he has his athleticism. Grant hill may be a good defender, but he doesn't affect an entire area like dwight does.

+1