PDA

View Full Version : Matt Happy, Doesn't Expect To Opt Out; Shannon Likely Will

lakers4sho
03-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Lakers' Matt Barnes and Shannon Brown have options for next season

Barnes says he would like to stay with the Lakers. Brown might be open to offers, but right now he is trying to help L.A. win a third consecutive title.

The Lakers have some personnel decisions awaiting them at the end of the season. Nothing major, but the reserves could be affected.

It's a tad early to say for sure, but Matt Barnes says he is comfortable with exercising his $1.91-million player option to stay next season. He says he is very happy in Los Angeles. Shannon Brown isn't committing either way to his $2.37-million option, content to live in the moment while the Lakers pursue a third consecutive championship.

The difference in approach might be as simple as the differing stages of their careers Barnes is closer to the end at age 31, while Brown is only 25.

Brown has the added incentive of successfully taking advantage of free agency after getting only lukewarm response last summer, deciding to take slightly less money to stay with the Lakers instead of signing with Utah.

Brown makes $2.15 million this season, Barnes makes $1.77 million.

"I don't know, man," Brown said Tuesday. "There's a lot that weighs in while thinking about this process."

Testing free agency would be "the best scenario, I guess. But unlike last year, when I was thinking about it and thinking about it, this year it really hasn't been on my mind as much because there's a lot of history that can be made this year. That really honestly has been my focus."

Brown is averaging 9.2 points a game, which would be a career high.

Barnes, on the other hand, is mainly seeking stability. He is on his eighth team in an eight-year career. He has stayed with the same team for entire back-to-back seasons only once (Golden State in 2006-07 and 2007-08).

"At this point, I want to win," Barnes said. "Unless it's something where people say, 'You're dumb for turning that down,' I don't really see myself making a move. Its awesome to be a Laker."

The Lakers obviously hope both players stay, particularly when the average NBA salary ($5.8 million) is much higher than their individual options.

"A lot's going to depend on how they perform and how we perform as a team over the next two or three months possibly," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "From a selfish point of view, we hope they both remain with the Lakers next year and play even better next year and be in better situation a year from now."

seems like Barnes is happy here and is focused to win and get stability. Shannon opts out every year to get a big offer...so I do think that he will bite for the money and then say something like. "Now I have won everything, I need to find out how good I am and get an opportunity for more responsibility etc.".

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20110323,0,4571508.story

Iron24th
03-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Great we love Matt,hope he stays,but shannon can leave if he wants to,we'll not miss him.

magic0320
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
i hope brown leaves hate him being stupid all the time chucking the ball.

Avenged
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Great news. Barnes is a great spark off the bench.

LAdiablo
03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
def happy about barnes
brown started out like he was going to have his best year. but potential only goes so far.
bring back ariza

Mcdoh
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
same here hope barnes stays.. and shannon can go wherever he likes.. lakers can find a replacement for him..

Angels4Ever
03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Why would they be asking them at this point season? Let them play this year and then ask them. Basically it is making us fans think Barnes loves being a Laker and Shannon loves money.

kblo247
03-23-2011, 11:04 AM
There was a guy named Rick Fox with the same attitude as Barnes and Buss paid him nicely and kept him in the family afterward (his choice not to announce anymore)

Matt has been our second best bench player all year and I love his activity and energy.

As for Shannon, he will be back just like the past 2 summers where he has opted out and ended up taking less than he thought he would get on the market

Lakeshow86
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
well, you might think Brown is due for a big payday looking at his stats but he probably wont get much more than he makes now. His stats are somewhat decieving because he has been wildly inconsistant. He has become a bit of a chucker who is hot one night and then ice cold the next. Other than being a decent shooter he really doesnt bring much to the table because he cant pass or rebound and hes a decent at best defender. If hes thinkin Midlevel pay than hes probably going to be disapointed. Thats surprising from Barnes because I thought we got him at a bargain price because I think he could easily get 3 million or more from other teams.

RoyalG333
03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
With Brown gone, we can really look for a solid 2-man who can play some point as well. It will be interesting to see how the lakers will work this off season. So much qusetion though this year. Not worth diving into.

Focus on the moment

Avenged
03-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Brown is a player who thinks he's better than he actually is. He can be easily replaced so I don't really care if he wants more money elsewhere.

kblo247
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Brown is a player who thinks he's better than he actually is. He can be easily replaced so I don't really care if he wants more money elsewhere.

T-Mac is somewhere saying I told you guys I can still play and proved it, so take me for less to backup Kobe :laugh2:

Jewelz0376
03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow it's crazy when you see how little Barnes makes (by nba standards obviously)... He's the best bench player after Odom and he makes the least out of any of the rotation players...

To think Barnes makes 1.8 mil, while Puke is bringing in 5.3 :puke:

KOBE24
03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
happy to see matt barnes is likely to stay... seems like the lakers go after whatever player fights with them ron artest matt barnes... beasley next? jk brown needs to go, it will be the best for both players... it be sweet if the lakers got jrich this offseason... thats my dream anyways

Tymathee
03-23-2011, 01:40 PM
and if brown goes, whos our back up SG? theres no one on the market and with kobe getting older, we need a guy like shannon to spell him

i dont see how anyway says hes playing bad lately. hes averaging 9 in march with the same everything, hes rather consistent, u dont get that much off the bench.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2992/shannon-brown

Shannons not great but he knows the system, works hard and plays hard, what more do u want?

Hellcrooner
03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
good bye "smush" brown.

RollinDeep
03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Gotta keep Barnes, he's more valuable than Shannon. He's too much of a black hole, ending up chucking last second shots. Blake plays much better when Shannon isn't forcing it. Brown's replaceable, I used to think he had more potential.

8kobe24
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
good bye "smush" brown.

That's going too far, lol no one can compare to good ol' smush.

showtym24
03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Rather have barnes back. But hopefully they'll both be back.

Bruno
03-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks for posting.

I expect Barnes to be a Laker for a while. I think he loves being in P&G.

J4KOP99
03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
I'd be surprised if Shannon Brown gets the offer he is expecting. Nobody is gonna give that guy "good" money... he just isn't good enough. The only reason we would take him back is because of his athleticism and his age. We can't stock up on all old players. If only Shannon stopped shooting the ball so ****ing much and took any pride whatsoever on defense... I honestly cannot stand Shannon at all, but we will see what he does for the rest of the year.

Oh yeah, Barnes is the man.

fast_break
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
i like Brown
but i won't be disappointed if he leaves

Jewelz0376
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
there are plenty of sg's la can sign with mle (if it's still in cba) to replace brown...

crawford, d.west, jr smith, r.mason, pietrus are some I wouldn't mind signing

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

numba1CHANGsta
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
if Brown goes id love for us to get someone with more length at the 2, someone who can defend and shoot long range shots

Emperor Kobe
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Love Barnes play and if Shannon wants to opt out he is an idiot. Let him play with Farmar if he wants...lol

Jewelz0376
03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
if Brown goes id love for us to get someone with more length at the 2, someone who can defend and shoot long range shots

:cough: pietrus :cough:

numba1CHANGsta
03-23-2011, 04:17 PM
:cough: pietrus :cough:

I wouldnt mind him lol, isnt Prince going to be a FA too?

Purple&Gold24
03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Barnes is great. Brown just needs to refocus on his shot. He can be spark at times. Hes just going through a tough time. I dont think hell be back, maybe sasha lol or bringing back ariza would be great!

Chacarron
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Good.

New Power House
03-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Why would they be asking them at this point season? Let them play this year and then ask them. Basically it is making us fans think Barnes loves being a Laker and Shannon loves money.

Shannon stayed here for less money. He needs to take care of him. He is not going to have another chance to make some money. Barnes might get some upgrade if he proves this year he is worth it. I think that he is way better player than Puke or Sasha,so it would not be a surprise to see him getting more to stay. Lakers need to replace Brown and Blake for a pair of more assertive players. These two so far have shown that they lack the skills required for the system. Kobe needs a better sub to save his legs in the near future. fisher the same situation. Another need is a decent center to cover for Bynum or Howard!
No very hard to do. By the way,Puke get out of LA!

Bruno
03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
There was a guy named Rick Fox with the same attitude as Barnes and Buss paid him nicely and kept him in the family afterward (his choice not to announce anymore)

Matt has been our second best bench player all year and I love his activity and energy.

As for Shannon, he will be back just like the past 2 summers where he has opted out and ended up taking less than he thought he would get on the market

Nice comparison KBLO. Barnes is totally the Rick Fox of this 2011 Lakers squad.

kblo247
03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Nice comparison KBLO. Barnes is totally the Rick Fox of this 2011 Lakers squad.

Thanks.

Shannon also seems to be Deaven George. The ability to defend one on one at times, but also has a a tendency to lose track defensively. Amazing athleticism that puts Kobe's to shame. Once he started hitting the 3, he fell in love with it. Mitch's first mistake was overpaying George as a GM because of expectations for him to develop or at least stay at the level he was in the 02 and beginning of the 04 run. I doubt he makes the same one with Shannon.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked for him to look at an extra rotation big, Caracter/Ebanks going to the NBDL full time, and seeing if T-Mac is still interested if Shannon wants to much. He will be shown the same door that Ariza and Turiaf were imo to pursue a bigger role if they can honestly get a decent regular big and guy like McGrady to think about playing here

Topballs
03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I think you guys should give brown a little bit more credit. Not saying that he is a crucial aspect of our team, but he is one of those spark players. Its important to have a guy that can bring energy back into a whole team with one play. Not to mention that he can hit the 3, although his percentage has dropped since the beginning of the season. He's young, can control the basketball, and is needed as a back up for kobe as Tymathee mentioned.

Lakersfan2483
03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Glad to hear Barnes wants to be back in the purple and gold, he's an ideal fit for the team. As far as Shannon, he doesn't know his role anymore and is lost defensively. I wouldn't mind seeing him go. The Lakers can find another young, athletic player in the draft or through free agency. I am also curious to see Ebanks and how he develops. He may be able to play some 2 guard along with playing the 3. If he develops over the next year, he will get more time off of the bench for sure.