PDA

View Full Version : Do the Hawks miss Bibby?

marlinsfan24
03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
The Hawks traded Bibby and Crawford to the Wizards on February 22nd for Kirk Hinrich. At that date the Hawks record was 34-21, however since the deal, the Hawks have gone 6-9 including getting blown out badly by the Heat and in the middle of another one right now vs the Hawks. Did trading Hinrich for essentially Bibby hurt or make the Hawks a better team?

hugepatsfan
03-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Bibby isn't very good anymore. ATL just isn't that good. Just my opinion.

ManRam
03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I haven't seen them really besides this game, but I assure you he isn't going to be making any difference tonight. He's about as poor of a defender as it comes. He'd get more lit up more than Hinrich is, if that's even possible.

He's really just shooting threes and setting screens in Miami...and not doing really anything else at all.

I really think it's just coincidence honestly...and getting blown out by Miami and Chicago isn't shocking, considering both teams are just flat out better.

kntresistheheat
03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
The hawks are missing D.Wilkins ... Lol but in all seriousness bibby does not make any difference in their offense/defense because he is a declining player. I am sure they are missing his threes, Atlanta is playing horrible defense all year and they can't beat any of the good teams.

Daze9900
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
No they're not. Hard to adjust with new players after the deadline. Bibby isn't a make or break player for them. The whole team mutiny is a problem. The one on one offense, lack of defense and contract issues and head coach are the problems.

Furymaker
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Spurs blowout Heat and vice versa , it doesn't mean anything , Hinrich is 5x better played than Bibby .

marlinsfan24
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I can agree with all the points above and I also don't think the Hawks would be playing better with Bibby, but is Bibby's leadership to that team missed?

shep33
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
No they miss Dominque, Mookie, and the Plastic Man

D1JM
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I can agree with all the points above and I also don't think the Hawks would be playing better with Bibby, but is Bibby's leadership to that team missed?

No. The hawks had the weakest SOS pre all-star. Their post all-star SOS schedule was ridiculously hard

Lake_Show2416
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
the FO misses 120 million dollars

ManRam
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I have to believe Hinrich is as much of a leader as Bibby. I know Bibby was very highly regarded as being a leader and a great locker room presence when he first got there, but I'm sure over time that first wave of change wore off a bit, and it's nothing that a vet like Hinrich couldn't replace...

Again, I think their record is coincidental, and not correlated.

Might also have to due to the fact that they've been losing to the Bulls (x2), Heat, Nuggs (x2), Lakers, Knicks, and Thunder...not exactly bad loses. They have even beat Portland (x2), and Chicago since the trade. So basically, since the trade, 11 of their 14 games have been against playoff teams...that's a real tough schedule (granted, a ton of home games have been played).

So even moreso, I really don't think Bibby's loss meant anything.

shep33
03-22-2011, 10:31 PM

lol winner

haggis
03-22-2011, 10:33 PM

Absolutely this.

That contract is a huge mistake.

godolphins
03-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Even Bibby wouldn't help them now

JB0B0
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
The Joe Johnson contract will strap their team for years. They won't be able to contend for at least another 10 years.

blahblahyoutoo
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
The Joe Johnson contract will strap their team for years. They won't be able to contend for at least another 10 years.

yup, worst signing in recent history.
right up there with elton brands, rashard lewis, michael redd, and a few others i missed.

Chronz
03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Someone commented on the fact that the Hawks were going to face a brutal schedule before the trade happened

Bravo95
03-23-2011, 12:27 AM
-Cheap and incompetent owners who have been suing each other for six years.
-Retread GM who is content with mediocrity.
-Coach in over his head, who allowed his own son to quit on the North Carolina Tar Heels.
-Overpaid SG who has no desire to be great.
-Undisciplined PF who has obviously never been coached.
-Draft bust at SF, that the team gave a contract extension to rather than admit the obvious.
-All-Star center who is playing out of position because of previous draft errors.
-And no fan support because the team has no tradition, no passionate owner, and no superstar to believe in.

So yeah, there were plenty of problems before Bibby was dealt.

bulls_world23
03-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Hinrich > Bibby by a mile.

If you want to blame someone its the coach. He looks clueless out there

Tony_Starks
03-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Whatever happened to starting Zaza at Center? Doesn't seem like a big deal but it allows Horford to play his natural position of 4 and at least gives them some size up front. Williams is way to streaky for my taste.....

Sadds The Gr8
03-23-2011, 02:40 AM

this. what a ****in joke of a contract. they shoulda gave that **** to me.

Lim
03-23-2011, 02:54 AM
no. hinrich > bibby by a landslide. take a look at their schedule since the all star break, it has been ridiculously hard.

buch88
03-23-2011, 03:12 AM
no. hinrich > bibby by a landslide. take a look at their schedule since the all star break, it has been ridiculously hard.

Sometimes it's more than just skills. At this point in Bibby's career, Hinrich is more skilled because he's younger and Bibby's obviously lost a step and not the 20 point per game point guard he used to be. But what Bibby brought to the hawks was stability. He didn't rack up the stats, but he ran that team fluently and under control. In terms of their pg situation, Bibby>Hinrich by a landslide. You have to look at other factors sometimes and not just compare their skills and age.

hyb152
03-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Sometimes it's more than just skills. At this point in Bibby's career, Hinrich is more skilled because he's younger and Bibby's obviously lost a step and not the 20 point per game point guard he used to be. But what Bibby brought to the hawks was stability. He didn't rack up the stats, but he ran that team fluently and under control. In terms of their pg situation, Bibby>Hinrich by a landslide. You have to look at other factors sometimes and not just compare their skills and age.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Couldn't have said it better myself buch. I said right after they traded Bibby that they might get more fire power in Hinrich, but they're losing the STABLITY that bibby brought to the team. I used that exact word too. Bibby's veteran ability to run a team is something that doesn't show up in the box score, but he added so much stability to the hawks. Yes, they miss him.

marlinsfan24
03-23-2011, 10:36 AM

This is what I was aiming for. :clap:

sportscrazed
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
haha joe johnson = worst signing in history
the hawks FO is plain old dumb

KnicksorBust
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Hawks need to flip Josh Smith for a big and a young wing player. Something like Kaman and Al Farouq Aminu. I'd like to see them slide Horford permanently to PF.

*Silver&Black*
03-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Things wrong with Hawks:

Josh Smith
Coach

Yes, in the future Joe, but he isn't a bad player. It's attitudes with this team.

I much rather let Joe walk last summer and had a young squad this year with Teague/Jordan/Marvin/Smith/Horford and do a quick rebuild through the next draft or 2 and trade Smith, but can't now.

Lim
03-23-2011, 06:54 PM

of course hes gonna run the team better, he was with them for what? 3 or 4 years? he knows the system better, the personnel better, the arena better.. give hinrich some time to get acclimated and he will be a big upgrade to the hawks. and this whole thread is a moot point anyway, their problem is not the PG position, they need a legit C not a natural PF playing C. they also need a new coach, and in a couple years Joe Johnson's contract will be their main problem if it isn't already.

marlinsfan24
03-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Things wrong with Hawks:

Josh Smith
Coach

Yes, in the future Joe, but he isn't a bad player. It's attitudes with this team.

I much rather let Joe walk last summer and had a young squad this year with Teague/Jordan/Marvin/Smith/Horford and do a quick rebuild through the next draft or 2 and trade Smith, but can't now.

Surprised that I don't hear more Hawks fans complaining about Smith. I can not stand the guy personally.

*Silver&Black*
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Surprised that I don't hear more Hawks fans complaining about Smith. I can not stand the guy personally.

He is a great player, but attitude like a 13 year old. Pretty much Artest with hops. I don't think it will change unless he has a Kobe-type on his team that would light a fire under him. I much rather build over again with Teague/Horford than this crap for the next 5-6 years.