PDA

View Full Version : Love Him or Hate Him.... KG's Game Should Be the Blueprint

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Im watching him against Amare last night and while STAT is younger, quicker, and more athletic KG was still beasting on him. Beating him down the court, diving for loose balls, locking him up in the 4rth quarter. Hitting the J. Im looking at Amare like how is this possible?

As much as I dislike the dude I can't help but respect his hustle. He takes no plays off and puts it all out there. This coming from a Laker fan. He's probably still not at 100% but he's still effective just by playing D, hustling, rebounding, and hitting the open J.

Why don't more PF's model their games after him and just stick to the basics? Seems like all the bigs now days are going soft....

*edit* This is strictly off his playing style, I think all his antics and cheap shots have turned him into a big huge jerk btw and shouldn't be imitated in any fashion.

end of edit*

D-Leethal
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
weren't you a Knicks fan last year?

KG's defensive game should be the 'blueprint' for young PF's, but his Chris Bosh-esque offensive game should not

PLAYERS FAN
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I think KG is entertaining! KG is the most talented PF of all-time!

Crackadalic
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Players want to be shooters nowadays. KG's game is old school except him taking jumpers all the time

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I've always been a Laker fan but I've followed the Knicks since the 90's when Riley went there..... thats why Im so disgruntled with D'antoni but ehh thats a whole nother story!

bigsams50
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
KG's heart and determination on D is what makes him so great. Not many people have the fire that KG has. That desire to win. That mindset that anything less then a W is unacceptable. Some young players today are all about stats. KG's always been about winning. The man hates to lose

GeekInThePink
03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
I would lose the attitude (not the desire to win) and stop shooting so many jumpers, then maybe.

Storch
03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I'd say Duncan is the blue print.

PLAYERS FAN
03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
KG's heart and determination on D is what makes him so great. Not many people have the fire that KG has. That desire to win. That mindset that anything less then a W is unacceptable. Some young players today are all about stats. KG's always been about winning. The man hates to lose

That's why I can't hate on the man.

210Don
03-22-2011, 07:08 PM
yeah why does he shoot so many jumpers????? oh and pick on little dudes?

TheDiggler
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I like KG's energy. His hustle. He's in beast mode on the court. But, he loses control sometimes, wich is dumb for a player with his experience (touching Frye's balls f.e.). Looks way to immature at times.

But, he's a good blueprint for young and athletic PF's. His character is another story. I can only rate and judge his game. I don't know Kevin Garnett private.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
I would lose the attitude (not the desire to win) and stop shooting so many jumpers, then maybe.

Well I think the shooting of the jumpers is just a biproduct of age. A lot of players when they get older get further and further from the basket. He still mixes it up inside on occasion. But its not like his J isn't effective though, its pretty much free money when he's open.

J4KOP99
03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Garnett is an unbelievable player and one of the greatest PF's of all time. He plays hard every single ****ing night. The only problem I have with him is that sometimes he acts like a *******.

Bruno
03-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Agreed. KG is an all-time great. He gets a lot of heat now, but that's what happens when you become a champ. Much respect for KG, he's the second greatest PF of all-time IMO. Call me crazy but I put him above Malone, I think his prowess on the defensive side of the court has been that strong. Champion, MVP, Defensive MVP, perennial all-star, competitor.

Gona miss him when he retires.

Agar81
03-22-2011, 07:18 PM
the thing is, he makes the jumpers he shoots at an alarming rate for a big man. I'm glad people are at least respecting his game rather than constantly whining about his attitude.

unwantedplayer
03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
weren't you a Knicks fan last year?

KG's defensive game should be the 'blueprint' for young PF's, but his Chris Bosh-esque offensive game should not

Lol..

KG came in the league before Bosh, therefore it's KG's style. While they also have some similarities, their style is kinda different. KG posts up a lot more than Bosh.

CityofTreez
03-22-2011, 07:22 PM

I'd say KG etches him out in the PF category. Differing opinions though, I get it.

Kevin Garnett is easily one of my favorite players I've been able to watch. Whenever I got the chance to see him live against Webber, there was nothing better than that.

Geargo Wallace
03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
KG, Kevin McHale, Timmy D. That's your blueprint.

Bruno
03-22-2011, 07:25 PM

I'd say they both present slightly different, equally formidable blue-prints. Duncan is really built more like a C, had he not experience such success early on as PF, and didn't play beside Robinson in his early years, things would be different. Any other team, in any other scenario would have used Duncan as their center; the Spurs just had the luxury of using him at PF, and that's what he became. :shrug:

Heediot
03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
his lanky body type will give him a long career like camby. the same goes for odom and tayshaun prince.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Imagine if Rasheed Wallace had Kevin Garnetts heart, he would've been the greatest PF ever. I remember when they used to go at it when he was in Portland it was a thing of beauty to watch......

LA_Raiders
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Agree, Blueprint to be a punk

Sly Guy
03-22-2011, 08:05 PM
I always loved KG's game. I just hate KG's 'fake tough guy' attitude.

Lloyd Christmas
03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I love everything about KG's game. He is an old school player with a mean streak. I could care less if he hurts other player's feelings. The NBA has turned into a glorified pickup game where most players are friends. Everybody is afraid of injuring someone else so they don't dive for loose balls (see the Chris Bosh response to the Bulls player diving into his legs after a loose ball). I hate it.

He is unquestionably a first ballot HOF player.

xxplayerxx23
03-22-2011, 08:24 PM
goood player terrible person and is a bully cant hate on his game and desire to win but wont ever say he is a good person

Knickrocketsfan
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
yea trash talkin and calling people a cancer patient is the blue print

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 08:43 PM
I always loved KG's game. I just hate KG's 'fake tough guy' attitude.

Very fake. You notice he only pulls that crap on players that he feels are soft and will back down though. He never went at Rasheed back in the day. Never really went at Amare. Artest. When they played Denver the other week K Mart gave him a cheap foul and flung him to the ground and he got up without saying so much as a word.

He used to pull those stunts on Odom too but Lamar stood up to him in Boston a couple years back and hasn't had a problem since. KG knows what he's doing, trying to get in the weaker players heads..... He's turned himself into a total jerk though.

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
perhaps pau?

FadeAwayLikeMJ
03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
I love everything about KG's game. He is an old school player with a mean streak. I could care less if he hurts other player's feelings. The NBA has turned into a glorified pickup game where most players are friends. Everybody is afraid of injuring someone else so they don't dive for loose balls (see the Chris Bosh response to the Bulls player diving into his legs after a loose ball). I hate it.

Great Post.

And about the questions about him takin so many Js, you gotta remember his last 2 major injuries were in the paint. It's preservation, and he knocks em down regularly.

redsox0717
03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
who the **** cares what his personality is, you people are haters.

you don't see me attacking kobe for being a rapist, i judge players on their game and not the extra curricular **** that doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things

Hustlenomics
03-22-2011, 09:10 PM
he has heart which a lot of these selfish players don't have

Lake_Show2416
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
he shies away from the basket on offense..

kinda like Bosh, he has to remind himself at times to work the paint, or that can also be a way of taking plays off, idk

other than that his game is at the top of the NBA in big man

blueprint is easier said than done, there was some1 that was already supposed to be the next KG (Tyson Chandler)

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Agreed. KG is an all-time great. He gets a lot of heat now, but that's what happens when you become a champ. Much respect for KG, he's the second greatest PF of all-time IMO. Call me crazy but I put him above Malone, I think his prowess on the defensive side of the court has been that strong. Champion, MVP, Defensive MVP, perennial all-star, competitor.

Gona miss him when he retires.

yup. I am neck and neck on Malone/KG, but Garnett is for sure a top 15 player ever, and was one of my favorites of all time.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 09:39 PM

I don't think people really care about him "hurting feelings" I mean I think most teams would like their big to be that intense. I think most people take exception to him picking and choosing who he pulls his toughguy act (i.e. extra curriculars after the plays over, cheap shots, elbows etc.) on.

Like I said before he doesn't pull that on the legit tough guys so that makes it pretty lame as opposed to say Charles Oakley or even Barkley who didn't care how big/tough you were or who you were they were the same way with everybody.

meloman1592
03-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Not a fan of KG but the guy's game as a big man is damn near flawless. He plays D, rebounds,blocks shots,hustles,hits the jumper and he's a leader. And for those who say he doesn't attack the rim enough, he's like 30something now so he can't really explode like he used to. Remember his T-Wolve days?

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Yup, KG is one of the best to ever play. No weaknesses in his game, and exceptional in most areas.
Him and Kobe as teammates would have been the biggest a hole team in the league. Hated by all, but beaten by no one.

Super.
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Are you just going to ignore the fact that KG is one of the best PF's to ever play the game?

magichatnumber9
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Yup, KG is one of the best to ever play. No weaknesses in his game, and exceptional in most areas.
Him and Kobe as teammates would have been the biggest a hole team in the league. Hated by all, but beaten by no one.That almost became a reality.

Super.
03-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Him and Kobe as teammates would have been the biggest a hole team in the league. Hated by all, but beaten by no one.

Dear God, could you imagine? :laugh2:

Raph12
03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Because most of the guys in today's league don't like doing the dirty work, KG is about as skilled as they come and just as smart, but if more so-called "stars" dedicated themselves to being the best they could be a la KG... The league would enter another golden age, especially considering today's athleticism.

hugepatsfan
03-23-2011, 12:57 AM
KG doesn't have the mentality of a star offensively. That, to me, was always the one problem I had w/ him in MIN. That being said, even though he shoots a lot of jumpers, he's always been willing to do the post work down low.

Bruno
03-23-2011, 06:19 AM

:laugh2: getgarnett.com?

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-23-2011, 09:39 AM
:laugh2: getgarnett.com?

Pretty much. I wanted him so bad at the time. But they were talking about Bynum and Odom and the kitchen sink for KG. Im happy the way things turned out, but it would have been a sight to see

lakers4sho
03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Great passion for the game.

Tarheels23
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Everyone makes fun of the Celtics for being old, but the truth is that they can all still play at an extremely high level. KG is the ring leader.

bcc
03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
who the **** cares what his personality is, you people are haters.

you don't see me attacking kobe for being a rapist, i judge players on their game and not the extra curricular **** that doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things

Precisely. Who cares what some jamoke thinks about Kevin Garnett?
His intensity and win-at-all-costs attitude is exactly what a team wants heading into a post season.

MinnesotaMagic
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM

This post basically says it all. All you people crying about KG being mean are just sad he never played for your team.

I think this one might be a little bitter over the beating KG gave Amar'e a few days ago.

He's not in the NBA to be nice he's there to win titles. 100% my favorite basketball player of all time.

Bruno
03-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Pretty much. I wanted him so bad at the time. But they were talking about Bynum and Odom and the kitchen sink for KG. Im happy the way things turned out, but it would have been a sight to see

I remember. But even an Bynum/Odom + fillers for Garnett swap would have been millions of times better than the proposed Bynum/Odom for Jermaine Oneal trade. That would have been a trade truly worthy of a :facepalm: had it gone down.

Hellcrooner
03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Tim Duncan should be the bluprint.

Skills

Iq

Leadership

defense

AND NO B.S not chest pumping, no trash talking, no flashy advertisements, No b.S

Hellcrooner
03-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Imo

All time

1 Duncan

2 Karl Malone

3 Kevin Mchale

4 Charles barkley

5 Kg

6 Dave Cowens

7 Maurice Lucas

8 Pau Gasol

9 Dirk

10 Chris Webber.

SteveNash
03-23-2011, 05:15 PM

KG is a great model for a player like Bosh who is the third best player on the team. Not for a franchise player.

Hellcrooner, no way Pau's better than Dirk or C-Webb.

thekmp211
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
^^ i'd have KG at three behind duncan and mchale. i've always felt malone was a little overrated, got a lot out of playing with stockton. i love barkley but he never won a ring and was not a plus defender. kg at his peak was just as dangerous offensively and was obviously one of the best defenders in the league.

kg really already IS the blueprint for the modern 4. tall and athletic, elite rebounding, active defending and a versatile offensive repertoire. as has been noted, duncan is really a center (although no one would complain if they had a power forward with timmy's skills) and plays more like one. garnetts combination of skills though, will prove to be rare. if the current version seems less than stellar (which is also overstated, kg is still an elite player) go back and watch his playoff series' against the kings and lakers. literally NOTHING the guy couldn't do.

thekmp211
03-23-2011, 05:23 PM

KG is a great model for a player like Bosh who is the third best player on the team. Not for a franchise player.

Hellcrooner, no way Pau's better than Dirk or C-Webb.

kg was (arguably, but in my opinion) the best player on the celtics 2008 championship team.

bosh had more help than garnett could have ever imagined while he was in minnesota.