PDA

View Full Version : Path to the NBA title, "easiest route possible", or "most challenging route possible"

JordansBulls
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
You are an elite team, and you have an elite player and a top seed. Do you prefer the:

1.) Easiest route possible to the title

2.) Most challenging route possible to the title

For instance as an example:

The #1 seed in the East (Boston right now) would more than likely have to play Indiana and then either Orlando or Atlanta and then if they pass them get to play an elite team in the Conference Finals.

The #2 seed (Chicago right now) would have to play a team like the Knicks/Sixers in round 1, then move on to Miami in round 2 and then play a team like Boston in the Conference Finals and then maybe someone like the Lakers in the Finals and that's if they keep beating those teams.

So Knicks/Heat/Celtics/Lakers would be probably the toughest stretch of teams you could face in a playoff if you are an Eastern Conference team.

If you are Boston the #1 seed, would you prefer something like Indiana, Atlanta, Knicks (upsetting Chicago, Miami) and then someone like the Thunder/Mavs in the finals?

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
for sure easiest route.

What?
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
If your getting to the finals either way then obviously your going to want the hardest route which would be assuming you made it because you would want your team to succeed triumphantly over the other elite teams.

But if the out come isn't clear obviously you want to go with the one that gives you the best chance to win a championship.

FuriousJatt
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
i'd take the easy way, anyday.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
If you're truly an elite team I don't think it matters. I saw the Lakers in '01 face probably the toughest three playoff teams anyone has ever consecutively played, Portland, Sacramento, and then San Antonio.... and they swept all three. So if your really rolling I don't think it even matters.

Sometimes we read to much into the seedings, to me the playoffs are more about matchups than anything else. Indy or Philly may not be that good for example but their young and athletic so against a older Boston squad they may not be an easy out....

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Good question, not sure what to answer yet.

bringinwood
03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
I think, just for home court advantage, going in as the 1 seed is the best route...