PDA

View Full Version : Parker:Spurs going nowhere with injured Duncan.

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 03:21 PM
As Tim Duncan lay sprawled on the AT&T Center floor in the first quarter Monday, clutching his newly sprained left ankle, Antonio McDyess couldn’t help but wonder how it all might affect the Spurs’ race for the NBA’s top overall seed.

Tiago Splitter thought it was a pretty crummy way to get the kind of playing time he’s been wanting all season.

Gregg Popovich declined to divulge the specifics of his internal monologue but admitted “it wasn’t flowers and lollipops.”

The timing of Duncan’s injury, suffered early in the Spurs’ 111-96 victory over Golden State, could have been better. But it also could have been worse.

“We can win without Timmy in the rest of the regular season and get that top seed,” Tony Parker said. “But we’re not going anywhere in the playoffs without him.”

With a seven-game lead over the L.A. Lakers in the Western Conference, and 12 games to play, the Spurs’ stranglehold on the top spot isn’t in much jeopardy, even with their All-Star big man in street clothes for the near future.

Duncan injured the ankle 4:13 into the second quarter when he landed awkwardly on Ekpe Udoh’s foot after completing a layup, and he had to be helped off the floor.

X-rays were negative on Duncan’s ankle, and the initial prognosis — as reported on the team’s TV broadcast — calls for about two weeks on the shelf.

“He’ll obviously be out a while,” Popovich said, adding it is uncertain if Duncan will make the three-game road trip to Denver, Portland and Memphis.

With Duncan icing his ankle backstage, the Spurs (57-13) took another step toward cementing a No. 1 seed by trouncing the Warriors.

Manu Ginobili scored 28 points, and Parker added 17 to go with 15 assists that tied a career high as the Spurs beat Golden State for the 26th consecutive time in San Antonio.

Afterward, most of the talk was about Duncan.

“I was happy when I heard it was just a severe sprain,” McDyess said. “Because I was thinking it was worse.”

Even after the Spurs ?announced at halftime Duncan would not return, you wouldn’t have blamed Golden State coach Keith Smart for disbelieving.

Earlier this season in Oakland, Duncan went down with an apparent knee injury, returned for the second half and finished with a triple-double.

“You don’t want to see a good guy like that getting hurt,” Smart said.

This time, Duncan was really out. Splitter replaced him in the rotation, producing his first double-double (10 points, 14 rebounds).

It was the second consecutive solid game for Splitter, who notched eight points and six rebounds in his first start two nights earlier against Charlotte, when Popovich opted to give Duncan the night off.

“I don’t like to play more because somebody got injured,” Splitter said. “But it’s good for me to play and for my teammates to gain confidence in me.”

Popovich’s second-biggest regret, aside from losing Duncan for a while, was that Parker and Ginobili had to re-enter the game late to put the Warriors away.

In the fourth quarter, Golden State (30-41) whittled a 20-point deficit to seven against the Spurs’ bench before Ginobili and Parker returned to seal it.

A Ginobili 3-pointer, followed by Parker’s dish to McDyess for a dunk, followed by a Ginobili steal and coast-to-coast dunk, pushed the Spurs’ lead back to 14.

“I don’t think Tony and Manu needed to be on the court as long as they were, if everybody on the bench would have shown,” Popovich said. “We’ve got a couple of guys who need to step up their games.”

That will remain true for as long as Duncan remains out.

“It’s going to be different,” Parker said.

But, as Parker also noted, it could also be worse. The Spurs can hold on without Duncan for a while, but not forever.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/21/spurs-beat-warriors-lose-duncan/

Do you guys think this injury will really effect the spurs play through out the playoffs?

GoatMilk
03-22-2011, 03:25 PM
obviously they cant beat the lakers without duncan in the playoffs
actually, they cant beat them with him either

210Don
03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
duh......

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM

agreeed. lol even the spur fan said "duh" :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
um, not having Duncan would essentially crush their title hopes. So yes, I think it will effect them....

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM

so the team that is way ahead in the standings, and has consistently dominated all season, can't beat a team 7 games behind them?

I like your confidence, but don't let it slip to arrogance. The Spurs are the best team in the NBA when healthy, and if Duncan enters round 2 at nearly 100%, I think they are still the team to beat.

Many forget, the Spurs probably won't need much from Duncan round 1. Duncan probably has 6 weeks minimum before he needs to be counted on.

tdunk21
03-22-2011, 03:53 PM
tony is right....

Sadds The Gr8
03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
nice confidence

JordansBulls
03-22-2011, 04:02 PM
As Tim Duncan lay sprawled on the AT&T Center floor in the first quarter Monday, clutching his newly sprained left ankle, Antonio McDyess couldn’t help but wonder how it all might affect the Spurs’ race for the NBA’s top overall seed.

Tiago Splitter thought it was a pretty crummy way to get the kind of playing time he’s been wanting all season.

Gregg Popovich declined to divulge the specifics of his internal monologue but admitted “it wasn’t flowers and lollipops.”

The timing of Duncan’s injury, suffered early in the Spurs’ 111-96 victory over Golden State, could have been better. But it also could have been worse.

“We can win without Timmy in the rest of the regular season and get that top seed,” Tony Parker said. “But we’re not going anywhere in the playoffs without him.”

With a seven-game lead over the L.A. Lakers in the Western Conference, and 12 games to play, the Spurs’ stranglehold on the top spot isn’t in much jeopardy, even with their All-Star big man in street clothes for the near future.

Duncan injured the ankle 4:13 into the second quarter when he landed awkwardly on Ekpe Udoh’s foot after completing a layup, and he had to be helped off the floor.

X-rays were negative on Duncan’s ankle, and the initial prognosis — as reported on the team’s TV broadcast — calls for about two weeks on the shelf.

“He’ll obviously be out a while,” Popovich said, adding it is uncertain if Duncan will make the three-game road trip to Denver, Portland and Memphis.

With Duncan icing his ankle backstage, the Spurs (57-13) took another step toward cementing a No. 1 seed by trouncing the Warriors.

Manu Ginobili scored 28 points, and Parker added 17 to go with 15 assists that tied a career high as the Spurs beat Golden State for the 26th consecutive time in San Antonio.

Afterward, most of the talk was about Duncan.

“I was happy when I heard it was just a severe sprain,” McDyess said. “Because I was thinking it was worse.”

Even after the Spurs ?announced at halftime Duncan would not return, you wouldn’t have blamed Golden State coach Keith Smart for disbelieving.

Earlier this season in Oakland, Duncan went down with an apparent knee injury, returned for the second half and finished with a triple-double.

“You don’t want to see a good guy like that getting hurt,” Smart said.

This time, Duncan was really out. Splitter replaced him in the rotation, producing his first double-double (10 points, 14 rebounds).

It was the second consecutive solid game for Splitter, who notched eight points and six rebounds in his first start two nights earlier against Charlotte, when Popovich opted to give Duncan the night off.

“I don’t like to play more because somebody got injured,” Splitter said. “But it’s good for me to play and for my teammates to gain confidence in me.”

Popovich’s second-biggest regret, aside from losing Duncan for a while, was that Parker and Ginobili had to re-enter the game late to put the Warriors away.

In the fourth quarter, Golden State (30-41) whittled a 20-point deficit to seven against the Spurs’ bench before Ginobili and Parker returned to seal it.

A Ginobili 3-pointer, followed by Parker’s dish to McDyess for a dunk, followed by a Ginobili steal and coast-to-coast dunk, pushed the Spurs’ lead back to 14.

“I don’t think Tony and Manu needed to be on the court as long as they were, if everybody on the bench would have shown,” Popovich said. “We’ve got a couple of guys who need to step up their games.”

That will remain true for as long as Duncan remains out.

“It’s going to be different,” Parker said.

But, as Parker also noted, it could also be worse. The Spurs can hold on without Duncan for a while, but not forever.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/21/spurs-beat-warriors-lose-duncan/

Do you guys think this injury will really effect the spurs play through out the playoffs?

They just need him for the playoffs. They don't need him anymore for the regular season.

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
so the team that is way ahead in the standings, and has consistently dominated all season, can't beat a team 7 games behind them?

I like your confidence, but don't let it slip to arrogance. The Spurs are the best team in the NBA when healthy, and if Duncan enters round 2 at nearly 100%, I think they are still the team to beat.

Many forget, the Spurs probably won't need much from Duncan round 1. Duncan probably has 6 weeks minimum before he needs to be counted on.

Ok Hawkeye so if the lakers met the spurs in WCF's you think the spurs can beat them? or you got lakers?

FuriousJatt
03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
well good thing for timmy he wont miss the playoffs.

i dont see the spurs beating the lakers though.

5ass
03-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Ok Hawkeye so if the lakers met the spurs in WCF's you think the spurs can beat them? or you got lakers?

ofcourse the spurs CAN beat the lakers, will they? i dont know
for me i would go with the spurs

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
well he's right

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 04:33 PM

man, I will have to make that pick when the time comes. Who is healthier? Who played better in round 2?

Obviously if we just blindly picked with no factors right now, I would take Lakers in 7 due to them being the current champions. But I will revisit that if they meet in the WCF's. Agreed?

RaiderLakersA's
03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Sorry that it happened, but it's good timing. The time off won't hurt Tim. People talk about Kobe losing a step, well, Tim has lots of mileage on his body as well.

RaiderLakersA's
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
man, I will have to make that pick when the time comes. Who is healthier? Who played better in round 2?

Obviously if we just blindly picked with no factors right now, I would take Lakers in 7 due to them being the current champions. But I will revisit that if they meet in the WCF's. Agreed?

I'm not sure who plays the better round 2 matters. After just one round with OKC last year people were writing the Lakers off as done.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry that it happened, but it's good timing. The time off won't hurt Tim. People talk about Kobe losing a step, well, Tim has lots of mileage on his body as well.

he has lost a lot. But the Spurs were able to really rest him this year, unlike Kobe. That being said, being 7' is more punishing than being 6'6''.

Like you said, at least there is a sliver lining here. Now he will be very well rested by round 2.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure who plays the better round 2 matters. After just one round with OKC last year people were writing the Lakers off as done.

It does factor a bit. It has to. In round 2, the Lakers became the Lakers again.

And I honestly mean it more for the Spurs pick. When they are playing consistently well, its usually lights out for everyone else. Most teams can't flip it on/off like the Lakers do.

RaiderLakersA's
03-22-2011, 04:53 PM
It does factor a bit. It has to. In round 2, the Lakers became the Lakers again.

And I honestly mean it more for the Spurs pick. When they are playing consistently well, its usually lights out for everyone else. Most teams can't flip it on/off like the Lakers do.

It all goes back to match-ups. Some teams compete better against certain teams than others.

I agree with you about consistency, though. The Spurs have that in spades. They always seem to keep that even keel. But part of flipping the switch isn't just about turning on the juice, but taking their game to the next level. And if you happen to be a team with a higher ceiling, look out. It's been years since I've seen the Spurs do that. They play consistently great. But the question is, is that their ceiling or their floor?

Either way, I'm picking it to come down to the Spurs and Lakers in the West. One last shoot out for our hired gun, Phil Jackson.

210Don
03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
lakers spurs is a toss up could go either way, hopefully joey crawford doesnt ref that series

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
It all goes back to match-ups. Some teams compete better against certain teams than others.

I agree with you about consistency, though. The Spurs have that in spades. They always seem to keep that even keel. But part of flipping the switch isn't just about turning on the juice, but taking their game to the next level. And if you happen to be a team with a higher ceiling, look out. It's been years since I've seen the Spurs do that. They play consistently great. But the question is, is that their ceiling or their floor?

Either way, I'm picking it to come down to the Spurs and Lakers in the West. One last shoot out for our hired gun, Phil Jackson.

I can agree with this.

truplayer199
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
lakers spurs is a toss up could go either way, hopefully joey crawford doesnt ref that series

The lakers matchup very well with the spurs. IMO its not a tossup, not even close. I don't think the Spurs can beat the Lakers in a series, at least not with an old Duncan.