PDA

View Full Version : NBA Re-Draft Playoffs - (West): 1) San Francisco Hippies v. 2) Las Vegas Spreaders

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than let’s say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

1) San Francisco v. 2) Las Vegas

San Francisco has Home Court Advantage

San Francisco Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16604276&postcount=18)
Las Vegas Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16638312&postcount=28)

San Francisco Depth Chart
PG: Devin Harris / Jarrett Jack / Jeff Teague
SG: Arron Afflalo / Gary Neal
SF: Andre Iguodala / Austin Daye
PF: Pau Gasol / Shelden Williams
C: DeJuan Blair / Nenad Krstic / Kosta Koufos
Inactive: Juwan Howard

Las Vegas Depth Chart
PG: Ty Lawson / Derick Fisher
SG: Kevin Martin / Reggie Williams / Dahntay Jones
SF: Trevor Ariza / Mike Dunleavy Jr
PF: Tim Duncan / Derrick Favors / Jason Maxiell
C: Tyson Chandler / Kwame Brown / Joe Smith

San Francisco Did not Send in a Write up

Las Vegas Write Up:

Like always, do with it what you'd like.

Another great battle in the WCF, lets get to it!

While the Hippies are a very balanced, well put together team, we feel overall our team matches up with them EXTREMELY well with the Hippies and in a 7 game series our advantages would be seen.

Here is how we feel the matchups would play out.

PG: Ty Lawson vs Devin Harris: Very good PG matchup to start off with. Harris is more accomplished, but Lawson has been great since taking over for Chauncey Billups. The Nuggets are 9-4 since Lawson became the team’s starting PG. The nuggets had so much faith in Lawson that he currently starts over a great pg in Raymond Felton. In the month of March, Lawson is averaging 15.6 ppg, 81 apg, 2.1 spg on 49% shooting. Those numbers are certainly very impressive. A few things make Lawson dangerous in this series; he has a terrific basketball IQ and decision making on the court as evidence by his low turnover total per game and his 49% shooting in the month of March. We also like that Lawson is capable of hitting that 3 point shot as he is averaging above 37% since being named the starting PG while Harris shoots 31% on the year. Lawson is very quick off the dribble and Harris should have some difficulty keeping him in front of him. In their one meeting against each other since the trade deadline Lawson put up 23 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds and 1 steal and Harris put up 21 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds and a steal. We do know that Devin Harris is not going to be containing anyone in this seven game series.

Another indication that this match-up is much closer than some would believe is when you look at the advanced statistics of both players this season. This season Harris has accumulated 4.2 Win Shares in 66 games, in which he has started 65 games. Lawson on the other hand has 5.0 Win Shares in 68 games while only starting 19. This is a true indication of what Lawson is bringing to the table this season as he has contributed more wins to his team than Devin Harris despite starting in 46 less games this year.
This is a great match up and very equal across the board.

SG: Kevin Martin vs Aaron Afflalo: Martin will be guarding Afflalo so I will keep the matchup as this. Iggy will prob guard K-Mart.

Basically what Martin needs to do is contest Afflalo's jumpers. Martin has a size advantage so he should be able to effectively challenge his shots. If he can do this, we'll be alright. K-Mart obviously isn't a very good defender, but Afflalo isn't going to kill Martin or anyone else. He hasn't in the 3 meetings against the Rockets this year, averaging 12 PPG.

K-Mart should be able to produce solid numbers throughout the series, when he gets a better feel for how Iggy or Afflalo is guarding him. When we consider what Kevin Martin has done this season, it understandable why we feel as confident as we do about Kevin Martin. This season Kevin Martin has accumulated more offensive win shares (7.2) than any other guard in the NBA except Chris Paul. Martin is simply an efficient offensive machine. Martin currently ranks in the top 16 in PER this season.

Kevin Martin also has an act for getting to the free throw line and not simply settling for perimeter shots. Martin this season has attempted the 3rd most free throws in the league while being Number 1 in Free Throws made. It is obvious that Martin can get to the line at will as he averages 8.4 FTA per game while shooting a sizzling 89%. If defenders sag off martin to avoid him blowing by them, he can easily spot up for his deadly 3 point in which he has a 39% average this season. I understand that that San Francisco will try to say that they will contain Martin but with numbers like these on the season, I don’t see any reason why things would change. Martin will get his in this series, there is little doubt about that.

SF: Trevor Ariza vs Andre Iguodala: Obviously Iggy is the better player, but he isn't going to kill Ariza here. Iggy is the #1/#2 option in Philly and only averages 14 a game on 45% shooting. Put him against a very good defender in Ariza for the series and I wouldn't expect those numbers to get much, if any better. Iggy is a very good defender but the fact is that he is an average offensive player as evidence by his shooting percentages and his 18 PER this year. It certainly helps our cause that Iggy is not much of a threat to attack the rim only getting to the line 4 times per contest while shooting only 70%. We have confidence Ariza can give him all the trouble he can handle and Iggy will not be a big offensive factor in this series. Ariza is also physical and big enough to pose a challenge to the body of Igoudala and won’t be overwhelmed one bit like some smaller defenders would.

Overall we feel the 1-3 positions are pretty even, with us having more scoring and them having more defense.

PF: Tim Duncan vs Pau Gasol: Excellent matchup here. We drafted Duncan over Gasol because Duncan has the ability to anchor a defensive frontline while Gasol doesn't. San Francisco can't possibly ask Dejuan Blair to guard Duncan in this series, so the task falls on Pau Gasol. In the long run that will definitely hurt San Fran. Duncan has the ability to guard Gasol at a high level throughout the series, but we don't feel Gasol has the ability to guard a motivated Duncan in a 7 game series. That’s the big difference in our eyes.

Duncan’s minutes are down this year due to him not being needed to play huge minutes with the first place San Antonio Spurs. But this is the playoffs and Duncan will see his typical 36+ minutes. Duncan stats per 36 minutes this year come out to 17 ppg, 11 rpg, and over 2 bpg which are very solid across the board. Duncan has kept fresh this entire season by averaging just 28.7 minutes per game and will be ready for what is to come. Even on a bit of an off year last season, Duncan still managed to averaged 19 and 10 in last years playoffs.

In terms of the specifics of the match up, it is worth noting that Gasol’s offensive game is somewhat similar to Duncan’s and that is something we feel benefits our team. Duncan won’t be forced to chase Pau around the perimeter like some of the more agile PF’s like Amare and Bosh, he will have to just body him up around the post. When you add Tyson Chandler in the mix as well to guard Pau, we like our chances of keeping Gasol at bay as we have two players we feel that can contain him for a 7 game series. It is worth nothing that Duncan

C: Tyson Chandler vs Dejuan Blair: We feel this is a huge X Factor in the series. Blair is strong around the basket, but his lack of size really hurts him going against two bigs in Tim Duncan and Tyson Chandler. Blair may out muscle some of the smaller centers in the NBA but Chandler is quite the contrary.

Blair has started for the Spurs against Chandler3 times this year.

Game One: 0 points, 4 rebounds
Game Two: 4 points, 1 rebound
Game Three: 2 Points, 4 rebounds

Quite frankly Blair doesn't have the size to compete against Chandler down low. Its why he hasn't been effective starting against the Mavs in real life this year and it’s why he wouldn't be effective in this matchup. Especially when you consider the other big is now Tim Duncan, not Dirk Nowitzki.
We feel that this match up really gives us a significant edge for our frontcourt.

Bench Play:

Our bench compared to San Francisco is another reason why we feel we would win this series. Their best bench pieces are all small guards and two of them are a couple of rookies basically in George Neal and Jeff Teague. Jarrett Jack is a nice backup PG, but once again the Hippies fall short in their ability to bring anything of significance off the bench for their frontcourt.

The scoring punch brought by Jack/Neal/Daye will be matched or exceeded by more accomplished players such as Mike Dunleavy Jr, Derek Fisher, and Dahntay Jones, along with high scoring swingman Reggie Williams.

Then the Hippies have a very weak backup frontcourt in Williams/Krstic/Juwan Howard while our backup bigs of Kwame Brown, Jason Maxiell and Derrick Favors are bigger, stronger, and can bring it defensively when called upon.
Kristic does offer some scoring for the bench of San Francisco but he is not a good defender that can be thrown out to help with the size and strength of ours.

Conclusion:

Gasol, Harris & Iggy have always been at their best when they are not counted on to be the go to guys on offense. This could work against the Hippies in the series having no clear cut number 1 option. Also consider that in this series you would see a much different look for Gasol than what he has been accustomed to with the Lakers. In Los Angeles, Gasol has had the luxury of having Andrew Bynum guard the best big on the opposing team, with Blair beside Gasol in this series, than is no longer the case. The pressure and onus is firmly on Gasol.

Overall, we feel our big advantage in size and defense up front, as well as our depth would win us this series in 6 games on our home floor.
In the NBA you got to have size to win, and in this matchup the size and defensive abilities of our frontline against theirs will push us over the top with both back courts being pretty even.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Lets get some votes cast..

KnicksorBust
03-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I've always liked San Fran's team. I remember PL getting mad at me for complimenting them in the lounge because they were in the same division. :laugh:

They also are the perfect team to take out Vegas. Gasol will outplay a past his prime Duncan and Iguodala is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game can lock down on Kevin Martin. With Martin being limitted Vegas will have trouble scoring because Tyson Chandler and Ariza almost make this a 3 on 5 offensively and Martin makes it a 4 on 5 defensively. Krstic and Jack off the bench is nice. Hippies balance gives them the edge.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I've always liked San Fran's team. I remember PL getting mad at me for complimenting them in the lounge because they were in the same division. :laugh:

They also are the perfect team to take out Vegas. Gasol will outplay a past his prime Duncan and Iguodala is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game can lock down on Kevin Martin. With Martin being limitted Vegas will have trouble scoring because Tyson Chandler and Ariza almost make this a 3 on 5 offensively and Martin makes it a 4 on 5 defensively. Krstic and Jack off the bench is nice. Hippies balance gives them the edge.

The front court defense of San Francisco is non existent. There is no chance Gasol would be able do anything significant against the combo of Duncan and Chandler.

Plus Blair would be utterly useless matching up against Chandler.

F*(&"Next Year"
03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Yo 81 APG is rediculous :p

alexander_37
03-22-2011, 10:42 AM

LOl Martin woukd eat IGGY for Breakfast no way he can guard Martin K-Mart would be shootin FT's ALL GAME LONG

KnicksorBust
03-22-2011, 10:54 AM
LOl Martin woukd eat IGGY for Breakfast no way he can guard Martin K-Mart would be shootin FT's ALL GAME LONG

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=At390j4SuG_2uuhx6G.48z4IPaB4?gid=201 1021610

Did he eat him up that game? :rolleyes:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=martike02&p2=iguodan01

Martin's teams are 1-7 vs. Iguodala in his career and he's shot a paltry 43% from the field.

nyanks79
03-22-2011, 11:11 AM
The front court defense of San Francisco is non existent. There is no chance Gasol would be able do anything significant against the combo of Duncan and Chandler.

Plus Blair would be utterly useless matching up against Chandler.

Explain. Since when is Tyson Chandler a post up player? About 80% of Rebounds are below the rim too. Having Blair and Bonner play big minutes seems to work fine for the Spurs. Im actually not a fan of writeups. People can just say what they want. Yea sure Ariza is a great defender. Guy is so overrated. Hes getting completely out played this season.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10NOH8.HTM

KnicksorBust
03-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Explain. Since when is Tyson Chandler a post up player? About 80% of Rebounds are below the rim too. Having Blair and Bonner play big minutes seems to work fine for the Spurs. Im actually not a fan of writeups. People can just say what they want. Yea sure Ariza is a great defender. Guy is so overrated. Hes getting completely out played this season.

You don't know what you are talking about son. Chandler makes 3.6 FGs per game. Approximately 75% of those are assisted dunks/layups which accounts for 2.7 FGs per game. This means he gets 0.9 FGs per game from his own crazy sick low post game. WATCH OUT HAKEEM!

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 11:15 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=At390j4SuG_2uuhx6G.48z4IPaB4?gid=201 1021610

Did he eat him up that game? :rolleyes:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=martike02&p2=iguodan01

Martin's teams are 1-7 vs. Iguodala in his career and he's shot a paltry 43% from the field.

Did Iggy guard martin the entire game? Any proof this was indeed the case. I am sorry but one game in hardly shutting down a player.

ManRam
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Chandler over Blair is huge, but i like san fran's match ups every else. Chandler also isn't going to be scoring a ton of point either way. Thr benches are both very solid...but again, slight edge to san fran's. I think there's a little more scoring there. The one question i have is a lack of a go-to scorer, but they have a tremendous amount of balance, a ton of selfless players willing to pass first that i think the chemistry will will be amazing. The center match up really made it close...blair really should be a PF, but kristic, gasol, and williams all help size wise.

Good match up.

KnicksorBust
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Did Iggy guard martin the entire game? Any proof this was indeed the case. I am sorry but one game in hardly shutting down a player.

It's 8 games and of course Iggy was guarding Martin. Why else do you think Martin is terrible vs. the Sixers?

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Blair has started for the Spurs against Chandler 3 times this year.

How is Blair suppose to be fine against Chandler? Blair is a very undersized center that is best going up against smaller centers like himself. Bonner is in the same boat, another undersized center. How are either expected to be a factor on the glass with Chandler? Chandler is one of the leagues best rebounders and post defender. Blair will be a complete non factor in this series. Can you imagine how many put backs Chandler would have with Blair guarding him up in the post.

All I know is that San Francisco is going to get killed on the glass in this series and the lack of defense in their front court is going to really hurt them tremendously.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 11:28 AM

Stats from 2006-09 are no indication of the player Kevin Martin has become today. Give me a break, I could of used Tim Duncan's career stats against Gasol if I really wanted to go that root.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Chandler over Blair is huge, but i like san fran's match ups every else. Chandler also isn't going to be scoring a ton of point either way. Thr benches are both very solid...but again, slight edge to san fran's. I think there's a little more scoring there. The one question i have is a lack of a go-to scorer, but they have a tremendous amount of balance, a ton of selfless players willing to pass first that i think the chemistry will will be amazing. The center match up really made it close...blair really should be a PF, but kristic, gasol, and williams all help size wise.

Good match up.

Kristic is a below average defense player and Williams is very undersized. Gasol is there only option in the post this series..

nyanks79
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
You don't know what you are talking about son. Chandler makes 3.6 FGs per game. Approximately 75% of those are assisted dunks/layups which accounts for 2.7 FGs per game. This means he gets 0.9 FGs per game from his own crazy sick low post game. WATCH OUT HAKEEM!

Haha yea. He gets tons of his points a lobs. Could they throw if over Blair sure. But he wasnt to succesful on the Bobcats or when he hasnt been with CP3 or Kidd. I like Lawson but hes no where near the passer of the other two. Plus Fisher is no where near a creating PG. And even if they do we have a legit 7footer in Kristic to stop lobs.

Blair has started for the Spurs against Chandler 3 times this year.

How is Blair suppose to be fine against Chandler? Blair is a very undersized center that is best going up against smaller centers like himself. Bonner is in the same boat, another undersized center. How are either expected to be a factor on the glass with Chandler? Chandler is one of the leagues best rebounders and post defender. Blair will be a complete non factor in this series. Can you imagine how many put backs Chandler would have with Blair guarding him up in the post.

All I know is that San Francisco is going to get killed on the glass in this series and the lack of defense in their front court is going to really hurt them tremendously.

But why would we get killed on the Boards? Tons of rebounds are below the rim. Blairs RB% is 19.0 compared to Chandlers 19.6%. That is extremely minimal. Blair plays against taller centers every game. But now his rebounding wont translate? And i dont even have Bonner, I was just making the point that the Spurs have had a more then fine season playing undersized.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
But why would we get killed on the Boards? Tons of rebounds are below the rim. Blairs RB% is 19.0 compared to Chandlers 19.6%. That is extremely minimal. Blair plays against taller centers every game. But now his rebounding wont translate? And i dont even have Bonner, I was just making the point that the Spurs have had a more then fine season playing undersized.

Look at what Blair has done against Chandler this year. I proved why Blair would be effective by showing you the stats. Blair has done nothing in 3 meetings against Chandler this year. Chandler would wipe the floor with Blair.

nyanks79
03-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Look at what Blair has done against Chandler this year. I proved why Blair would be effective by showing you the stats. Blair has done nothing in 3 meetings against Chandler this year. Chandler would wipe the floor with Blair.

OK if you want to use small sample sizes then why were you so quick to dismiss KOBs post. Martin had 9 points against against Iggy. I guess hes irrelevant then.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
OK if you want to use small sample sizes then why were you so quick to dismiss KOBs post. Martin had 9 points against against Iggy. I guess hes irrelevant then.

I used 3 games this year, he used one. Which is a better sample size? I also was not using games from 2006-08 to justify that Chandler was better than Blair.

nyanks79
03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I used 3 games this year, he used one. Which is a better sample size? I also was not using games from 2006-08 to justify that Chandler was better than Blair.

The box score he posted was from this year. Afflalo has played against him 4 times this year. 1 game he went off. The other 3, Martin has 13 points on 27% shooting, Martin has 8 points on 3-15 and 20%, and 21 points on 39% shooting. Plus he only got 6 FTA attempts in those games. So with both Afflalo and Iggy guarding Martin, maybe he has one good scoring game. There goes all your wing scoring because Lawson is going to score much and Ariza definately wont.

Ebbs
03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Same thing you have said about Iggy/Martin though... You can't guarantee Blair/Chandler happened all game. Which as a Mavs fan I can tell you didn't happen.

Tblaze
03-22-2011, 03:17 PM
San Fran!

Las Vegas is too dependant on Kmart for scoring and Iggy and Afflalo are really good defenders. Duncan will struggle against the length of Gasol making him less effective. Leaving no1 to carry the offensive load in any way.

NYKalltheway
03-22-2011, 03:25 PM
What? Wasn't the deadline tonight????

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
What? Wasn't the deadline tonight????

Nope, yesterday..

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 03:35 PM
San Fran!

Las Vegas is too dependant on Kmart for scoring and Iggy and Afflalo are really good defenders. Duncan will struggle against the length of Gasol making him less effective. Leaving no1 to carry the offensive load in any way.

Who is exactly going to score for San Francisco? It wont be Iggy, Afflalo or Blair. Like Duncan, Gasol will get his 16-20 ppg. That leaves only Devin Harris and like Lawson, both are expected to have a great series. We have plenty of scoring, especially on our bench with Reggie Williams and Mike Dunleavy..

NYKalltheway
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
By the way, our bench is getting heavily under rated in opposition's write ups.

Jarrett Jack and Nenad Krstic could start for most NBA teams.
We have 3 guards that are pretty good, a versatile 6ft11 SF who can shoot 3s over people and two good front court role players + a 7ft who can be used to rest our big guys and foul the opposition's bigs, i.e tire them a bit while our starters are resting.

I see 13 players for Las Vegas... Game over :D You are officially DQ :p
On a serious not, Derek Fisher just brings experience which is useful at this stage, but quality wise he can't even stop our 3rd choice PG for the majority of the game!!!

I realize I went crazy about some bench guys but I can't understand why people are saying that the bench is a wash etc when they can't see what the bench players bring to each team. Our bench complement the rest of the guys. We have three point shooters off the bench which only Afflalo is a 'certified' 3pt threat from the starters.

I also can't see how Las Vegas is going to play their defense and offense against us.

Fast break? That can't work because we have more athletic players overall plus that means that all the Duncan/Chandler talk goes to waste
Half-court? Who exactly is going to feed the ball in the paint? Lawson? Is it gonna be triangle offense? Did you ask Afflalo-Iguodala if they're gonna let Ariza or Martin feed the ball to Duncan?

On the other hand we'd kill Las Vegas on the fast break and on half court we have the advantage as their perimeter defense is average (Ariza good, Martin baaaaad) and also the fact that Devin Harris can simply penetrate past Lawson in an isolation play and can give the ball to Blair/Gasol to finish off or he can even do it himself. Not gonna work always of course, but there's the biggest advantage SF has. We can use any sort of offense and defense because of the player styles and roster depth.

Las Vegas has some nice depth as well, but does it complement the rest of their team?

All I've seen by opposition's write ups so far is compare 5 starters, one on one. What's the point in that? Are we gonna play BASKETBALL or streetball? In basketball, you play defense and you play offense. You need a plan. What's Las Vegas plan? Apparently based on their last paragraph is use their size advantage(over Blair that is who's gonna be getting some 25-35 minutes). My question to you is... how? Lawson can't feed them the ball every day even if Harris is not the ideal defensive PG, he has size advantage and in a triangle offense I can't see Martin to be able to feed Duncan/Chandler with Afflalo and Iguodala covering the passing lanes on top of everything else!

What's the actual basketball plan Las Vegas? ;)

(I was gonna do write ups tonight as I thought the deadline was midnight tonight, I guess that's a big fail :D )

ABOMB_56
03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I like SF in this match-up.

John Walls Era
03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I like Vegas more. I think I voted for SF by mistake (Still waiting for the PSD Iphone App).

MacFitz92
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I can say with a fresh memory that Chandler was outplayed by Blair in the last matchup against the Spurs.

MacFitz92
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Really close, I just like the balance of San Fran better.

Mile High Champ
03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I like Vegas more. I think I voted for SF by mistake (Still waiting for the PSD Iphone App).

Thanks for letting me know.. 22-18 now

Sixerlover
03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I actually like San Fran in this matchup. Iguodala locks down Martin historically (and this year), and that's the key to the Vegas team. Outside of Duncan / Martin no one can really put up big numbers consistently enough in a 7 game series to pull it out. Would probably go 7, but I have San Fran in the finals.

F*(&"Next Year"
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Jarrett Jack and Nenad Krstic could start for most NBA teams.

A select few, but certainly not most

Mile High Champ
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Final score is 25-19 for San Francisco.

- 4 Votes did not count for SF and one person voted for them accidentally.
- 2 Votes did not count for LV and they get one extra vote due to someone voting accidentally for the wrong team.

Best of luck SF in the next round.

Ebbs
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Why do 4 votes not count?

Mile High Champ
03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Why do 4 votes not count?

6 people did not have the required 100 posts..