PDA

View Full Version : Duncan hurts left ankle, out 'a while'

Fireworld
03-22-2011, 05:58 AM
SAN ANTONIO -- Spurs forward Tim Duncan sprained his left ankle Monday night against Golden State after coming down awkwardly on the foot.

X-rays were negative. Duncan did not return to San Antonio's 111-96 victory over the Warriors.

The 34-year-old All-Star fell and immediately reached for his left foot after landing on the foot of Ekpe Udoh following a short jumper early in the first quarter. Duncan lay on his side, clutching his foot with both hands, for more than a minute before being helped into the locker room.

Following the game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Duncan would be out "a while" but didn't have a timetable.

Duncan has stayed healthy all season for the NBA-best Spurs, avoiding injuries unlike recent years.

Duncan has started all but one game. That was Saturday against Charlotte -- when Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't want to risk Duncan getting hurt on the second night of a back-to-back.

Popovich's biggest fear happened two nights later instead.

The AT&T Center fell quiet when Duncan crashed to the court and reached for his foot. Tony Parker was one of the first players over to check on him; Parker then turned and winced at Popovich, who was standing in front of the Spurs bench with his hands in his pockets and watching his two-time MVP writhe on the ground.

Before Saturday, Duncan had been the only Spurs player to start the team's first 68 games. Duncan had played 32 minutes the night before in Dallas. Popovich said he didn't want to risk an injury.

He's got a big one now.

"I saw him in pain. He's not one of those guys that's going to pretend or do that if he is not hurting," Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said. "It's bad, but hopefully it's just a couple of games and he'll be back soon."

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6245134)

DodgerBulls
03-22-2011, 06:19 AM
They'll be alright. However, they will face 5 teams that are potential first round match ups for them though.

JayW_1023
03-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Well, something had to go wrong eventually. Hopefully this rough stretch will bring some resolve with it.

Antipod
03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
some "resting time" before post season )

tdunk21
03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
out for 2 weeks.....splitter will get some minutes in timmy's absence

JordansBulls
03-22-2011, 08:43 AM
They should have the #1 seed wrapped up now though.

Niro
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
´good for splitter

Iron24th
03-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Hope he gets well soon,I want every potential playoffs opponent at full strenght.

todu82
03-22-2011, 09:15 AM
This is actually good. The Spurs have a top seed in the playoffs just about wrapped up. Allows them to rest their top player, Duncan, and have him refreshed and ready for the playoffs.

JJ81
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I wish him all the best. But this may give the Lakers a chance to chase the top spot (wishful thinking), they do have the momentum!

Avenged
03-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Looks like the Spurs are gearing up for the playoffs! time to start resting.

JimmyP4
03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
tim duncan is done and when he comes back he's gonna choke on some D.

ps all you laker fans need to suck it up because the lakers aren't going anywhere

tdunk21
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
the #1 seed is still wide open for the lakers or mavs, coz they are just 7 games behind and with timmy out, spurs might lose couple game here and there....now its tight.....

69centers
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
They went nearly a full year without major injuries, so it finally caught up with them. Bad timing if he's out any playoff games.

Klivlend
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
tim duncan is done and when he comes back he's gonna choke on some D.

ps all you laker fans need to suck it up because the lakers aren't going anywhere

Haha, awesome fourth post!

pebloemer
03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
This is actually good. The Spurs have a top seed in the playoffs just about wrapped up. Allows them to rest their top player, Duncan, and have him refreshed and ready for the playoffs.

Wait what? How is an injury good? If he were healthy they could rest him and have him refreshed for ths playoffs on their own terms. Now he could be unconditioned or rusty by the time the playoffs come. Or he could be unhealthy altogether. His minutes are out of the teams control now; that can not be "actually good."

FuriousJatt
03-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Hope he gets well soon,I want every potential playoffs opponent at full strenght.

except for miami ofcuz :D
after lebron faked that elbow injury in the playoffs last year... who knws what will his excuse this year.

magic0320
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I can see them losing bunch of game like Lakers last season, but will hold on to number one seed in the west XD

Hawkeye15
03-22-2011, 04:03 PM
The Spurs will hold onto the #1 seed, and they they can get by without Tim in round 1 most likely, since they will get Memphis, Houston, or someone of that degree. Essentially, Tim has about 6 weeks to get back to normal. I think that is plenty of time.

Fireworld
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
The Spurs will hold onto the #1 seed, and they they can get by without Tim in round 1 most likely, since they will get Memphis, Houston, or someone of that degree. Essentially, Tim has about 6 weeks to get back to normal. I think that is plenty of time.

this.

shizzle09
03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
out for 2 weeks.....splitter will get some minutes in timmy's absence

let's go Splitter, just swooped him for fantasy playoffs.

rockets-fan
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM

idk about that...memphis has been playing great lately, and the rockets biggest and only big problem is guarding big men....no duncan on the spurs means 1 less 7 footer to guard. houston can upset them without duncan, as can memphis...i dont think people give these 7-10 seed teams enough credit. yes the spurs are a way better team overall....but this is the nba..anything can happen. Rockets got heart and hustle to upset them, and memphis has alot of young legs to last 7 games without tiring out.....