PDA

View Full Version : Kobe on Andrew Bynum Flagrant Foul: "Im proud of him."

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 01:32 AM
In case you missed it, Andrew Bynum was suspended for two games without pay for his flagrant foul against Michael Beasley on Friday night at the Staples Center. But according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times, the NBA actually considered suspending Bynum for three games. When asked how he felt, Kobe Bryant said, Im proud of him. He earned his stripes. Check out the play below and read what Stu Jackson, the NBAs Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations, had to say about it.

http://dimemag.com/2011/03/kobe-bryant-on-andrew-bynums-flagrant-foul-im-proud-of-him/

Lol not sure if this deserves a thread just thought i'd share. I also agree with the Black Mamba im proud of the big boy bynum :D

lakers4sho
03-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Good. Colby probably talked to him in private, but it's good that Colby's got Drew's back in front of an ever-critical media.

Chacarron
03-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Bynum is quckly becoming my favorite current Laker. It used to be Sasha, but now that he's gone, I have to choose someone new.

I like Bynum's toughness and presence as much as I like Artest's toughness and craziness.

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Good. Colby probably talked to him in private, but it's good that Colby's got Drew's back in front of an ever-critical media.

lol yup hopefully he gives Garnett some of that :rolleyes:

GREATNESS ONE
03-22-2011, 02:57 AM
I got your back too Big Drew !!!!!!

Storch
03-22-2011, 03:29 AM
I got your back too drew, but try to make your physicality within the rules next time :up:

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 03:37 AM
I got your back too drew, but try to make your physicality within the rules next time :up:

hahaha maybe he can just bend them a bit :)

Iron24th
03-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Bynum is quckly becoming my favorite current Laker. It used to be Sasha, but now that he's gone, I have to choose someone new.

I like Bynum's toughness and presence as much as I like Artest's toughness and craziness.

Bynum has always been my favorite Laker,my posts show it lol,Kobe is def the best and the reason why I love this team,but Bynum is a fan favorite type of player.

Glad Kobe got his back.

JJ81
03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure why he'd be proud of him for that foul but I guess most of the best big men in history needed to make their opponents scared of them.

Avenged
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Proud of him? he injured Beasley.:facepalm:

Teeboy1487
03-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree. What is there to be proud of? Bynum could have seriously injured Beasley. Considering how much Kobe ***** to the refs, he should understand and kept his mouth shut.

GREATNESS ONE
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't think he is proud of hurting Beaslet. I think Bryant meant more of the maturity that Bynum has been going thru and final learning his role on this team. I am 100% certain nobody on the Lakers wanted Beasley hurt well maybe Barnes lol.

I am proud of Big Drew, playing like the defensive rebounding machine and enforcer this team needs to get the 3PEAT.

J4KOP99
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know if I would personally go out in the media and say that I was proud of my teammate injuring another player...

Hellcrooner
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Im not.

being tough is one thing.

Injuring another players is never good.

And if he does it again later in teh season of worse in Playoffs a two game suspension can have DEADLY consecuences for our Threepeat chances.

Dodgers_KiD
03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
If you play hard D there will be hard fouls

Mr_Ratings
03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Bill Laimbeer was one of the most feared and respected players in the league for playing with physicality like this. I agree with Kobe as far as the hard fouls go. I dont think Kobe was supporting the injury factor.

kblo247
03-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Full quote after the game:

"Proud of him. He earned his stripes. He took a hard foul."

You might say, what is there to be proud of?

The thing is they are proud that he was an enforcer. Antonio Davis (in reference to Kwame hurting Boozer on NBA TV) and Kevin Mchale (in reference to clotheslining Rambis) said it, when a guy is constantly jawing with your team and bench, your job as the big is to lay him on his behind one good time, so that you shut him up and he always remembers it. Barkley has even said that his coach used to say you got this many fouls to their big in Phoenix so lay this guy out who tries to show off and talks a lot.

What Bynum did wrong was make it obvious. Had he hit Beasley in the air with both arms fully extended to throw him to the floor it is a fine and 1 game thing probably (see Elton Brand).

The concept that this is something new for this team is silly. They were proud of Lamar Odom when he tackled Ray Allen and once knocked Brandon Roy out of the air to the point Portland wanted a piece of him. They were proud of Fisher when he laid Scola out for setting dirty picks and grabbing LO's jersey in the air. Way back in 06 they were proud of Luke Walton for throwing Tim Thomas down by his collar and Kwame Brown throwing Diaw to the ground and standing over him. They were proud of Kobe for concussing Mike Miller. No one on the team was outraged when Barnes threw Landry into a table this preseason. Guys were hyped when Artest goozled Shawne Williams by the throat. Steve Blake has a history of hitting guys and getting in their faces be they big or small.

For a team that is called soft to be taken seriously and to make teams think twice about a layup line someone must be knocked on their *** and made an example of. It happens at all levels of basketball.

Hell the team would probably be better off if Pau was the one giving the foul instead of Andrew because it would make teams think twice about exploiting him and beating him up.

GREATNESS ONE
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM

The thing is they are proud that he was an enforcer. Antonio Davis (in reference to Kwame hurting Boozer on NBA TV) and Kevin Mchale (in reference to clotheslining Rambis) said it, when a guy is constantly jawing with your team and bench, your job as the big is to lay him on his behind one good time, so that you shut him up and he always remembers it. Barkley has even said that his coach used to say you got this many fouls to their big in Phoenix so lay this guy out who tries to show off and talks a lot.

What Bynum did wrong was make it obvious. Had he hit Beasley in the air with both arms fully extended to throw him to the floor it is a fine and 1 game thing probably (see Elton Brand).

The concept that this is something new for this team is silly. They were proud of Lamar Odom when he tackled Ray Allen and once knocked Brandon Roy out of the air to the point Portland wanted a piece of him. They were proud of Fisher when he laid Scola out for setting dirty picks and grabbing LO's jersey in the air. Way back in 06 they were proud of Luke Walton for throwing Tim Thomas down by his collar and Kwame Brown throwing Diaw to the ground and standing over him. They were proud of Kobe for concussing Mike Miller. No one on the team was outraged when Barnes threw Landry into a table this preseason. Guys were hyped when Artest goozled Shawne Williams by the throat. Steve Blake has a history of hitting guys and getting in their faces be they big or small.

For a team that is called soft to be taken seriously and to make teams think twice about a layup line someone must be knocked on their *** and made an example of. It happens at all levels of basketball.

Hell the team would probably be better off if Pau was the one giving the foul instead of Andrew because it would make teams think twice about exploiting him and beating him up.

:clap::clap::clap: Nice Brother, Great read and plenty of Valid points !

mekedubs
03-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Amen to that!! But good luck with that!! Pau is called "soft" for a reason...
I never, ever... ever ever ever, heard anyone call Bynum soft! And this is why... Does anyone remember a couple of years back when Bynum fouled LeBron very hard when LeBron was coming to the paint for one of his signature windmill dunks? And Bynum's quote after the game "What? I'm supposed to just let him dunk on me?!"... Classic.

Lakersfan2483
03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I didn't like the play, I felt it was uneccessary as Bynum could have ended Beasley's career. It was a dirty play and the suspension was warranted. He could have fouled him hard and sent a msg. without the elbow to the chest in midair. As far as Kobe's comments, I don't like them either. Beasley was injured on the play and you never want to see another play get hurt as a result of a bad foul.

Lakersfan2483
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Im not.

And if he does it again later in teh season of worse in Playoffs a two game suspension can have DEADLY consecuences for our Threepeat chances.

Good points.

Emperor Kobe
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Kobe was right in supporting him publicly but I am willing to bet he had a few words for Drew about watching that crap come playoff time when you consider Darth Stern. Of course if his(Sterns)boy Lebrick did that nothing would have happend. Lakers still making it 3 though so the haterswill just have to get over it.

New Power House
03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Proud of him? he injured Beasley.:facepalm:

The Lakers have been treated as soft,specially in the paint. I think Bynum is giving them a different look with this. It looks as a negative,but Bynum just needs to learn to apply force with intelligence. He needs to be the enforcer in the paint because Gasol and Odom are not capable to do it consistently or I would say efficiently. Kobe knows that the NBA rules apply just for certain players and he has suffer tooo much with the mafia that represents the people that apply the rules the Zebras! Boston,Miami, and others have always the better end of the ruling. The Lakers always fight against the current and their success just piss up many people. You have seen worst fouls and those players get away with murder. Bynum raise your arms next time!:rolleyes:

This is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvYY36ZryXo
How many games would you have given to this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxvwtMdo_Ns&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4wE6Ibzdo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku_hNeFx-O8

Purple&Gold24
03-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Guys seriously? Kobe is right he should be proud of him. Beasley was asking for it hes always talking trash. Its not like Bynum should do it to every player that talking trash. Obviously Kobe has his reasons to say hes proud of bynum and he earn his stripes with in the team. I back up bynum and kobe on this...beasley is man not a little boy. He can handle it. He talks the talk then let walk the walk.

New Power House
03-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Maybe Kobe is referring to this:
http:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlkYgZOpY&feature=related
Bynum needs to learn this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCJK1hPpLCE&feature=related

The Mafia boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiVs2SInCY
He actually got away with it in some how.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4vaNoMvoDU&feature=related

New Power House
03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
[/SIZE]

Amen to that!! But good luck with that!! Pau is called "soft" for a reason...
I never, ever... ever ever ever, heard anyone call Bynum soft! And this is why... Does anyone remember a couple of years back when Bynum fouled LeBron very hard when LeBron was coming to the paint for one of his signature windmill dunks? And Bynum's quote after the game "What? I'm supposed to just let him dunk on me?!"... Classic.

He was a baby when he confronted the Beast(Shaq) in LA! Bynum is not a fluke. He still a poppy 23 years old that haven't develop yet his maximum potential. He just needs to learn how to apply force and copy the master Mamba. Kill them with your game! That hurts more than anything! 5 rings and counting!

New Power House
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Im not.

Then you need to remove that picture! Are you honoring dirty players? or you trying to convince Gasol to play like a man in a consistent basis? I condemn this kind of plays,but sometimes someone has to do the dirty work! The NBA has always level the Lakers as a soft team,well now we are becoming the new Bad Boys! or not?:facepalm:

New Power House
03-22-2011, 04:55 PM

:clap::clap: I will love if Gasol cloths line F Garnnet one of this days,just for a change! This year they are coming to try to stop us one way or another. Lakers will be ready with ,hopefully, full healthy team for once! They will see the difference this time!

New Power House
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Watch this. The commissioner proudly giving them the trophy!

They were a pest and they got away with it until the Bulls beat the crap out of them to stop them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGmu_9PBj90&NR=1&feature=fvwp
the infamous BAD BOYS!:facepalm:
Stern you should be ashamed of your self!:facepalm:

RaiderLakersA's
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Great post. And the part in bold has to be one of my favorite Fisher moments of all time.

Margie
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Years ago when loud mouth **** talking punks like Beasley came into the NBA,They always got their butts handed to them. Kobe knows you must have players like Bynum,Artest and Barnes to intimidate punks like Beasley. Today we want to look at sissy basketball because we have allowed a bunch of cream puffs in the league. Some of the creampuffs playing today would not have been in the league years ago. Beasley is a high flying player and high flying players need to play like Griffin and keep their mouth shut.

Frezhnitz
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm proud of him too!

kid24
03-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Big Drew thats my boy right now. He is scaring the rest of the league and begging for mercy.