PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Pearl Fired in Tennessee

haggis
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - The University of Tennessee has reportedly fired men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported the news Monday.

Pearl had been on the hot seat after the NCAA issued the school a letter of inquiry in September regarding potential recruiting violations. He also admitted to initially misleading NCAA investigators.

In six seasons with the Volunteers, Pearl posted a record of 145-61 with six NCAA Tournament appearances. This year's squad opened with seven straight wins, but finished just 19-15 with a first-round loss to Michigan in the NCAA tourney.

Pearl's ouster almost seemed certain just prior to the start of the NCAA Tournament last week when Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said the coach's job would be evaluated at season's end. The Vols then went out and suffered a 75-45 loss to the Wolverines.

Tennessee, long a women's basketball power, had unprecedented men's success under Pearl. The Vols won 31 games during the 2007-08 season and twice reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament before the 2009-10 team made a run to the Elite Eight -- the first in the 102-year history of the program.

The NCAA's probe into the program centered around impermissible phone calls to potential recruits and impermissible contact from Pearl to prospective student-athletes.

Pearl misled investigators when asked about certain photos of him with recruit Aaron Craft, now playing at Ohio State. The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Pearl had improperly hosted the prospect at his home in 2008.

After the September letter of inquiry from the NCAA, the university penalized Pearl with a reduction in pay from $2 million to $1.5 million. He was also suspended from off-campus recruiting and tearfully apologized for his actions during a press conference on September 10.

The SEC then imposed its own suspension of Pearl in November, banning him for the first eight games of the 2011 conference season.

Tennessee officially received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on February 23. In addition to the recruiting violations, Pearl was also charged with a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance and failure to monitor the activities regarding compliance of all assistant coaches within the basketball program.

The school has a deadline of May 21 to submit a response to the NCAA and is scheduled to appear before the Committee on Infractions from June 10-11.

Before taking the coaching position at Tennessee, Pearl spent four seasons at Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He guided that school to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances, including a trip to the Sweet 16 in 2005, vaulting him into the national spotlight.

Pearl also coached at Division II Southern Indiana for nine seasons and has an overall coaching mark of 462-145.

Copyright 2011, Sports Network

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-sn-ncaa-bruce-pearl-fired-032111,0,6250210.story

NBA_Starter
03-21-2011, 11:37 PM
The guys a good coach, he just got caught cheating. I'm sure someone will pick him up maybe NC State.

long ball
03-22-2011, 01:33 AM
I love Bruce Pearl. He's a very colorful guy. Pissed me off when he left UWM, but obviously I can't blame him. Unfortunately unethical things happen everyday in college sports, but that alone wouldn't keep me from bringing him in to be my head coach.

haggis
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
^Really?

you'd want that type of distraction at your school? (I'm guessing Marquette by your sig)

I personall think that Pearl is a royal assbag and deserves everything he gets.

Would you replace Buzz for Pearl?

DamnGoat
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
^Really?

you'd want that type of distraction at your school? (I'm guessing Marquette by your sig)

Agreed.

He's a very good coach, but a sneaky little scumbag of a person. People look at his charity work and assume he's some great guy, but this is the 2nd time he's been caught in the middle of an NCAA scandal and I doubt it'll be the last. Some team will hire him b/c he can coach and ignore the circus surrounding him, but they'll regret it in the end.

long ball
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
^Really?

I'd take him at MU if Buzz leaves for say the Oklahoma job. It sounds like Pearl may not be coaching for a year or two though.

haggis
03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd take him at MU if Buzz leaves for say the Oklahoma job. It sounds like Pearl may not be coaching for a year or two though.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, in a vacuum is Pearl a good X's and O's guy? Sure. But the game isn't played in a vacuum. He is a scumbag and that baggage is going to follow him wherever he goes.

Mell413
03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
There is some risk involved with Bruce, but he could be worth the risk. The guy does win.

long ball
03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Yeah, don't get me wrong, in a vacuum is Pearl a good X's and O's guy? Sure. But the game isn't played in a vacuum. He is a scumbag and that baggage is going to follow him wherever he goes.

That's a fair point.

He already has recruiting ties in Wisconsin due to his time as the coach at UW-Milwaukee. If he can take that team to the Sweet 16 I'm sure he'd be able to do at least as well and probably better at Marquette.

NYYankees12
03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
I dont care how much my coach cheats, I just dont want him to get caught. Every coach in college sports cheats. To bash one because they got caught is pretty petty cause we all know they all cheat.