PDA

View Full Version : If you could start a new Basketball Association, how would you go about it?

JNA17
03-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Sorry for the long thread title. :(

Anyway so this thread is basically for the basketball fans that think the NBA is rigged or David Stern is an ******* (or both :p), OR if you just like the idea of your own league.

So if you had not only the money but the opportunity and enough resources to create a new basketball association league and you plan to compete against the NBA, how would you go about it? What kind of ideas do you have that would potentially make your League better then all the other leagues in europe, Japan, and even the NBA. What would you name it, how would you make it popular? How would you advertise it? How would you recruit talented basketball players into your new league? How do you plan to make the games and regulations into a fair called game by the refs? How would you deal with the salaries and the contracts in the league? How many teams and where would you like these teams to be located in?

Pretty much insert any idea you have into this thread and have some fun with it. I'll even edit my OP every now and then with enough posts/ideas and combine our ideas together. :D

six
03-21-2011, 02:38 AM
I'd make all the big market teams high ranked=higher ratings, compared to high ranked small market teams.

JNA17
03-21-2011, 02:41 AM
I'd make all the big market teams high ranked=higher ratings, compared to high ranked small market teams.

Isn't that pretty much like the NBA already...:p

six
03-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Isn't that pretty much like the NBA already...:p

Haha, yea. They just need to make the Knicks top 5.But it looks like that's in progress since they have 2 superstars already. They also made Chicago into a powerhouse this year, stern is probably aiming for some massive rating increases :p

The ratings this year have skyrocketed from last year...

"Through 32 games, the NBA on TNT is averaging a 1.5 U.S. household rating (+25% vs. 1.2 for last year’s corresponding coverage); 2,325,000 total viewers (+31% vs. 1,774,000); and 1,730,000 households (+28% vs. 1,348,000)"

Also a 37% increase in the all star game.

JNA17
03-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Haha, yea. They just need to make the Knicks top 5.But it looks like that's in progress since they have 2 superstars already. They also made Chicago into a powerhouse this year, stern is probably aiming for some massive rating increases :p

The ratings this year have skyrocketed from last year...

"Through 32 games, the NBA on TNT is averaging a 1.5 U.S. household rating (+25% vs. 1.2 for last year’s corresponding coverage); 2,325,000 total viewers (+31% vs. 1,774,000); and 1,730,000 households (+28% vs. 1,348,000)"

Also a 37% increase in the all star game.

Well since you have a grasp of knowledge about what makes high ratings or sorts, where would you locate say...25 or more teams or so in your league? They DON'T ALL HAVE TO BE IN THE US.

NYKalltheway
03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Pretty easy.

Free market.
You let the fans create the market. Rich fans create local teams and recruit their own talent.

You begin with 8 or 10 teams for 1-2 seasons. In any US cities. Then more want to join since it's FREE TO JOIN.
You have League 1, League 2, League 3 etc and of course relegation.

Top league grows to 18-24 teams strong and rich owners who control the teams will approach NBA's best players and offer them any amount of money they want. They can give Howard $35m a season in 2012 if they want. More will follow and eventually the NBA will be overrun.

No team will have to worry about being relocated by other people's decisions. When a team is established, it stays there. It's the fans' team.

You let the money, passion and fans do the talking.
As for drafts etc, let them go to the NBA. These new teams would have their own local basketball academies and recruit children at the age of 10-15 to teach them the fundamentals and help them grow as players. No need to restrict any team in 2-3 new rookies every year. Let them decide who makes it and who doesn't.

This will result to better competition. There could be over 300 teams, some that don't operate professionally but are just going up and down 6th and 7th division because they love playing and want a minor basketball team in their town that can compete against better teams.
It will result to no tanking as it will cause relegation.
It will help bring up better players.
It will create better fanbases where people who care about the team have a say about that team.
It will stop relocation.
It will allow anyone to have a professional basketball team(Seattle says hello)
It will create loyal basketball players as they will have free choice in their entire careers to sign, stay there or leave a club.
It will abolish total power to one man(be it Stern or whoever is commissioner) and will simply pay qualified refs to offiiciate the game.
It will make it easier for teams to rebuild as it will be entirely up to their wallets and willingness if they try to succeed or not.
It will completely overrun the NBA in less than 5 years time if people like Mark Cuban(who's still bitter about 2006 Finals officiating for example) are part of it.

Before you say this is 'hopeful dreaming', check the rest of the world, except China, the Philippines and England (lol) and how their basketball federations & leagues are run.

I could set up a team of my own in Greece tomorrow if I wanted to. Only issue is that I'd start from the 6th tier and have to climb all the way up to 1st division in 6 years the earliest and it's extremely hard as well. I can't understand why a nation that loves sports has the worst run professional leagues. And restricts them as well to just NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB and MLS. I can't understand why volleyball is not professional while beach volleyball is so huge(yet it's just expensive tournaments)

John Walls Era
03-21-2011, 01:14 PM
^thats what soccer teams in europe basically do

Hellcrooner
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
free market

vertical divisions ( check any soccer league out there) with relegation and promotion.

yout schemes in teams to develop the youngsters.

teams never relocate, every major city in usa has their team 5 VERTical divisions of 20 teams make 100 teams.
ONLY 8 TEAMS MAKE PLAYOFFS

stablish a CUP in wich lower division teams ahve their shot at defeating higer division teams F:A cup system.

Basically what the rest of the world does.

Mudvayne91
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Hard cap and no lottery. That way it doesn't mean a thing whether you're New Orleans or if you're Boston. I'd probably consider reducing some of the teams though.

210Don
03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
no foul calls first to 100 wins

Hellcrooner
03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
and of course the most important thing of all.

REMOVE STAR CALLS FROM THE GAME:

hey if Lebron comits 6 fouls and has to be ejected so be it.

If kobe Wacks mike james IS a foul.

if zaza pachulia barely toches dwight is NOT a foul.

and so on and on.

ChiTownPacerFan
03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd make it a not-for-profit organization.

Lake_Show2416
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
buy FC Barcelona, and move them to Seattle to give the ppl the Sonics back.

+a top draft prospect.. it's a flawless plan :)

Sixerlover
03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Find 30 owners or groups of owners willing to agree to a $80 million hard cap with a $35 million basement (Can't go any lower). This ensures that the players will be generously compensated for their production, and the owners will be able to make a profit as well depending on team moves and success.

Two conferences top 8 teams make the playoffs as opposed to division

John Walls Era
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
buy FC Barcelona, and move them to Seattle to give the ppl the Sonics back.

+a top draft prospect.. it's a flawless plan :)

:confused: Why would the sonics want a soccer team? ALso it would be called FC Seattle if they move them there...

Hellcrooner
03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
:confused: Why would the sonics want a soccer team? ALso it would be called FC Seattle if they move them there...

http://solobasket675.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/fc-barcelona-basket-2010-2011.jpg?w=480&h=225

John Walls Era
03-21-2011, 02:54 PM
http://solobasket675.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/fc-barcelona-basket-2010-2011.jpg?w=480&h=225

I've been watching too much Champions League.... so I only know the real FC Barcelona.

NYKalltheway
03-21-2011, 03:16 PM
^thats what soccer teams in europe basically do

and basketball and volleyball and handball and ice hockey and water polo and every sport

Becks2307
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I've been watching too much Champions League.... so I only know the real FC Barcelona.

lol its is the real Barcelona - Barcelona sports club.

NYKalltheway
03-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Haha the "real" Barcelona :p

Barcelona is a SPORTS CLUB, probably the biggest in the world. Has soccer, basketball, handball, futsal(5 a side indoor soccer, really fun), ice hockey, field hockey, rink hockey, rugby and you know what the best part is? The OFFICIAL OWNER IS... THE FANS.

It's like the Lakers for example having an NBA team, an MLB team, an NFL team an MLS team and an NHL team and people actually are fans of the Lakers so they follow them in every sport... ;) That's how the rest of the world operates, can't see why Americans can't see that this is why most popular sports have so much passion in South America (and central + Mexico) and Europe for example...
People don't care if they're teams are good or bad, winning or losing. All they care about is go to the stadium on a Saturday or Sunday and support their team no matter what.

This is another issue with the NBA(and other sports). You have games every freaking day! It's more like a day job than a passion. In the rest of the world, sports = ritual. Once or twice a week. People work during the week and their best hope for the weekend is their sports team!

John Walls Era
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
My Euro Sport Knowledge is lacking... cut me some slack.

Hellcrooner
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Barcelona is a SPORTS CLUB, probably the biggest in the world. Has soccer, basketball, handball, futsal(5 a side indoor soccer, really fun), ice hockey, field hockey, rink hockey, rugby and you know what the best part is? The OFFICIAL OWNER IS... THE FANS.

It's like the Lakers for example having an NBA team, an MLB team, an NFL team an MLS team and an NHL team and people actually are fans of the Lakers so they follow them in every sport... ;) That's how the rest of the world operates, can't see why Americans can't see that this is why most popular sports have so much passion in South America (and central + Mexico) and Europe for example...
People don't care if they're teams are good or bad, winning or losing. All they care about is go to the stadium on a Saturday or Sunday and support their team no matter what.

This is another issue with the NBA(and other sports). You have games every freaking day! It's more like a day job than a passion. In the rest of the world, sports = ritual. Once or twice a week. People work during the week and their best hope for the weekend is their sports team!
you forgot barcelona dragons, their branch in spanish american football league.
they used to play in the european nfl before it went broke. :D

Hellcrooner
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
lol its is the real Barcelona - Barcelona sports club.

f.c barcelona thanks.

real and barcelona should not be in the same sentence unless its something like

barcelona beat the hell up to REAl MADRID 5-0.
:p

IceMan360
03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I think the NBA as broken as it is still good organization but i would like to see some form of competition to force it to be better. This is gonna sound dumb but hear me out first lol i think it would be kool if the AND 1 mixtape tour would be made into a league similar to how arena football & XFL is to the NFL. I mean make it more organised with like probably 8-16 teams. Have open try-outs instead of a draft and try to get the games televised on a competing network. lol pipe dream:D

hgtiger32
03-21-2011, 04:35 PM
its fine the way it is, i really have no complaints. people who want to watch the NBA are going to watch it no matter what. the other people are just fair weather fans

crewfan13
03-21-2011, 11:18 PM

In theory, I like what you've recomended, but I think even you realize that would never work in America. We have our sports so firmly entrenched in our culture that I don't think a drastic change like you are suggesting is ever feasible. We have tons of sports fans and we are used to watching sports every night.

Heck, most sports are expanding the nights they play just to get more viewership, and it works. Look at the NCAA tourney. They added 3 more play in games just to get fans to watch on Tuesday and Wednesday now. The woman's tourney works around the mens tourney so there's basketball on tv on monday and tuesday too now. The nfl in recent years has added Thursday games and playoffs are on Sat and Sun to get the extra viewers. Baseball teams seem to play less and less day games too. We as a society have become so obsessed with sports everyday that we could never go to the "European" style like you're suggesting.

Also, we don't seem to have the home town pride that Europe does. I can't say I've been to Europe to watch a soccer match, so I could be wrong. But it seems to me that if you're from a certain city or area, you root for the local team no matter what. We dont' do that in America. We seem to trend towards teh hot teams. We wouldn't be happy just supporting our teams whether they are good or bad. Look at the Heat. Their fanbase exploded just because they got more superstarts. When it was just Wade out their last year no one came, now they have much better attendance and apparel sales.

THE GIPPER
03-21-2011, 11:43 PM
and of course the most important thing of all.

REMOVE STAR CALLS FROM THE GAME:

hey if Lebron comits 6 fouls and has to be ejected so be it.

If kobe Wacks mike james IS a foul.

if zaza pachulia barely toches dwight is NOT a foul.

and so on and on.

This X100000000

MalZee24
03-22-2011, 01:47 AM
No rigged games. Fire Dick Bavetta. Fire Bob Delaney. Fire Joey Crawford. Never ask the refs to add extra games to an exciting playoff series. And never favor the lakers, knicks, and heat like Stern does.

JasonJohnHorn
03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
10 minute quarters? 20 second shot clock? Drop the 3-seconds-with-the-back-to-the-basket rule (I miss the old school post wars). Make the max contract 8 mill and five years, and only allow 2 max players per team. Vet min: 3 mill, player min 2 mill.

Officials out: street ball rules in. Ok, maybe not.

I do like the game how it is now to be honest and dont think these changes would make it much (if at all) better, but I would like to see some of the top dawgs in the nba come down a little in salary, not so much so that the owners can scoop up the money, but just so that there isnt such a large gap between guys like Bosh and guys like Haslem.