PDA

View Full Version : basketball question i saw in an NCAA game

Bray991
03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
So I was watching the syracuse marquet game and there was an overe and back call when the ball was commming in out of bounds and he tried to maintain positions in the front court but came down with his first foot on the line. It was called over and back I was flipping out because of it I come from a family of officials (we all do highschool to low level college) and I cannot understand this call.. I know its college but I need some input..we all feel like it should be a nocall..

Xsatyr
03-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Most leagues will not allow you to step on the line.

mttwlsn16
03-20-2011, 10:37 PM
on the line = over the line

if u step on the out of bounds line and not over it, youre still out of bounds lol

Bray991
03-20-2011, 10:41 PM
But your not seeing the point.. he is alowed to be in the backcourt.. its not like being out of bounds.. you can throw the ball over into the backcourt from out of bounds

John Walls Era
03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
What do you mean... looks like an easy call to me.

PurpleJesus
03-20-2011, 10:51 PM
sounds like a pretty obvious over and back to me

PurpleJesus
03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
if he is trying to maintain possession in the front court like you say he was, than that means he was in the front court...now, if he steps on the line, its over and back.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I saw one time Jose who was pass the half court line pass it to Juan Dixon who caught the ball in mid air while he was behind the half court line and had both feet past the line when he landed.

He got called for the over and back.

I'm guessing it's because Juan was behind the half court line when he caught it while Calderon passed it to Juan when Calderon was already over.

So in this case, the guy caught it in mid air already over the half court but landed on the line which meant back court violation.

Bulls_fan90
03-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Trust a guy that comes from a "family of officials" to not understand the rules.

Chitownhero14
03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
I am actually a ref well part time anyway and my father is a ref. I have the rule book right here to.

If the ball is being inbounded and caught on the line it is treated as an over and back call because the ball is being promoted from the frontcourt and caught in the back. If he had caught in the back court it would've been fine, caught in the front court fine but not on the line its treated like an out of bounds call, line is out.

Xsatyr
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I am actually a ref well part time anyway and my father is a ref. I have the rule book right here to.

If the ball is being inbounded and caught on the line it is treated as an over and back call because the ball is being promoted from the frontcourt and caught in the back. If he had caught in the back court it would've been fine, caught in the front court fine but not on the line its treated like an out of bounds call, line is out.

Yes we know, players run to the backcourt a lot when the defense is denying the ball entry.

Bray991
03-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the posts.. I would have missed that one.. We are never perfect, but we are always right haha

Kashmir13579
03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
But your not seeing the point.. he is alowed to be in the backcourt.. its not like being out of bounds.. you can throw the ball over into the backcourt from out of bounds

It depends on whether he caught the ball in frontcourt before his foot went on the line. i am a Syracuse fan, and normally i would look for any reason to blame a loss on the refs; but i just don't see it here. Waiters is a rookie so he made a suspect pass, Scoop Jardine is a ****ing idiot so he didn't let the ball go into the backcourt. Scoop is the one that should know he is allowed to be in the backcourt.

LA_Raiders
03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Trust a guy that comes from a "family of officials" to not understand the rules.

lol, awesome sig...

NYKalltheway
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
How's this a legit question? It's definitely the correct call