PDA

View Full Version : Bynum suspended for flagrant on Beasley

Sadds The Gr8
03-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Bynum suspended 2 games for the flagrant on Beasley. Thoughts? I thought it was deserved

The NBA handed out suspensions for two separate incidents on Sunday, suspending the Lakers' Andrew Bynum and the Suns' Aaron Brooks.

Bynum has been suspended two games without pay for a flagrant foul 2 against Minnesota's Michael Beasley. It happened in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 106-98 victory on Friday.

Brooks has been suspended for one game for throwing a ball at an official during the Suns' win over the Golden State Warriors. Brooks will miss Phoenix's game against the Clippers on Sunday.

Bynum will miss Sunday's game against the Trail Blazers and Tuesday's game against the Suns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6240114

Hustlenomics
03-20-2011, 02:44 PM
only 2 games? he could've snapped Beasleys neck

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Only 2 games. Don't need him for either. Now we can move on

Sadds The Gr8
03-20-2011, 02:49 PM

i think 2 games is fair. if Beasley's neck DID snap, he'd prolly be suspended longer...but it didnt.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
**** this ********

NBA isn't knitting:facepalm:

redsox0717
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
He should of been suspended for the rest of the year and arrested for assault

Avenged
Like I said in the other thread, prevents injury to an already injury prone center. Rest those knees up big guy.

droalex
Eh reasonable

Lakers + Giants

If it were a celtic you'd be *****ing about a suspension. Stop Exaggerating.

Jenceman
Lol at the Boston fans saying he should be suspended for longer.

Just LOL.

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Like I said in the other thread, prevents injury to an already injury prone center. Rest those knees up big guy.

Exactly, and it gives Odom a chance to make his case for 6th man. If he doesn't do good then. . .:cry:

mgd24oz
03-20-2011, 03:01 PM
agree with avenged here...it was deserved...no big deal tho...blazers and suns up next...get a couple of days to rest those knees and come back and continue to be a presence in the paint

i just dont want andrew to get gun shy in there as a result of this incident...where i dont wanna see this type of foul out of him again...i do wanna continue to see him aggressively protect the paint

knicks_champ
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
It's fair.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-20-2011, 03:04 PM

not funny dude

LakersMaster24
03-20-2011, 03:07 PM
**** this ********

This.
The NBA is softer than the WNBA...

Shady66
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
lol at lakers fans disagreeing and calling the nba soft. This clearly warranted a suspension.

Hustlenomics
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM

+ 1

If it were a celtic you'd be *****ing about a suspension. Stop Exaggerating.

If a Celtic did this I'd have no problem with justice being served. That was a downright dirty play

ManRam
03-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I think it should have just been one game. But whatever. It's not a big deal really for the Lakers. Resting him can't really do them any harm.

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2011, 03:30 PM
+ 1

If a Celtic did this I'd have no problem with justice being served. That was a downright dirty play

Wow. . I'm just gonna stop here. Don't want to start ****.

magichatnumber9
03-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Sounds fair to me.

shizzle09
03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
**** this ********

and it's certainly not football. He didnt even play the ball. Thats how people get hurt. Boneheaded play by bynum. 2 games is just

shizzle09
03-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I think it should have just been one game. But whatever. It's not a big deal really for the Lakers. Resting him can't really do them any harm.

bingo

psperry34116
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Very reasonable suspension.

Lake_Show2416
03-20-2011, 03:42 PM
so Bynum's allowed to come back after David Strein changes Beasley's tampon

RollinDeep
03-20-2011, 03:46 PM
He earned a suspension. But to say he should be suspended for the rest of the season and get arrested for assault? Please think before you speak, you're making Boston look bad.

Testaverde16
03-20-2011, 03:54 PM
fair...

Sync
03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Eh, fair.

UKblazers
03-20-2011, 04:01 PM
SMH this is the second time now,he tried the exact same thing and sent gerald Wallace to.the hospital with a collapsed lung,if anything it should be more games.

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
SMH this is the second time now,he tried the exact same thing and sent gerald Wallace to.the hospital with a collapsed lung,if anything it should be more games.

You just care now cuz wallace is on the blazers. . It was a fair suspension.

FuriousJatt
03-20-2011, 04:06 PM
i thought 1game was more deserving but 2 isnt too much.

shep33
03-20-2011, 04:08 PM
As a Laker fan, yeah I think 1 game would've been sufficient, 2 maybe a stretch, but whatever. Like Avenged and Manram said, even if the Lakers lose tonight, they're still in 2nd plus they get to rest Drew for the next 2 games... lol that's 2 games we know Drew can't get injured so it may be a blessing in disguise.

Hustlenomics
03-20-2011, 04:10 PM
He earned a suspension. But to say he should be suspended for the rest of the season and get arrested for assault? Please think before you speak, you're making Boston look bad.

I'm sure that was sarcasm

UKblazers
03-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Your only defending bynum because he is a laker,1 time is an accident 2 times is just stupidity.

Wilson
03-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Everyone saying this is proof that the NBA is soft, just stop. The NBA has definitely gotten too soft in some areas but this is certainly not an example of that. Bynum never played the ball, he just charged a guy in mid-air. That's not basketball, and shouldn't be acceptable. I actually think two games is quite generous of the league (although I wouldn't go so far as to say he should be arrested for assault).

Like I said in the other thread though, I don't think Bynum is dirty by nature, I think he just showed really poor judgment here. Hopefully he can learn how to be a physical presence without taking it this far again.

Iron24th
03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
NBA is soft.

shep33
03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Should've been a charge on Beasley... running into Drew's elbow like that in mid-air.

evadatam5150
03-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Bynum suspended 2 games for the flagrant on Beasley. Thoughts? I thought it was deserved

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6240114

Can't disagree too much since Bynum didn't play the ball.. I think 1 game would have been a tad more fair but whatcha gonna do..

amos1er
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
lol @ this 2 games suspension bs.

The NBA will do anything to help Lebron and Wade get a better record than us. ****ing ridiculous.

If it were a player on the Heat, there would not have been any suspension.

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Your only defending bynum because he is a laker,1 time is an accident 2 times is just stupidity.

I'm not defending him, i said the 2 game suspension is fair, look at my posts above :facepalm:. I just think it's stupid that people say it should be more than 2 games. . wow.

Statik1
03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Equal trade off if you ask me

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM

The NBA will do anything to help Lebron and Wade get a better record than us. ****ing ridiculous.

If it were a player on the Heat, there would not have been any suspension.

that dampier foul on parker was way worse

topdog
03-20-2011, 05:04 PM
This.
The NBA is softer than the WNBA...

You say that now and then someone actually gets seriously hurt on a play (say a career-ending injury) and then what? The guy's soft because he landed awkwardly?

You gotta protect guys, especially in the air. Hard fouls are completely unnecessary - they don't actually "send a message" or intimidate anybody and only serve to threaten careers. If Darko did it to Kobe, you can bet people would be hollering to send Darko back to Europe.

Marques24kobe
03-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Bynum should of known better then to do that. If he would of simply just puched him the ball sack instead, there would be no foul and no suspension.

Teeboy1487
03-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't agree with the suspension being two games. One game was enough. Still, like I said in the Lakers forum, Bynum brought this on himself for making a dumb play. He hurt his team. We are in the middle of a race of 2nd in the west. He should have been smarter.

Cubs420
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
prolly a thing for Bynum, less of chance of that glass doll getting hurt...

MacFitz92
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
NBA is soft. But that wasn't a hard foul. That was a cheap shot and could have ended Beasley's career.

2 games is light.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
NBA is soft. But that wasn't a hard foul. That was a cheap shot and could have ended Beasley's career.

2 games is light.

this is confusing on many levels

Squad13
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM

:laugh: I'm guessing your combined ages are just a hair under 36 years old. So I'll chalk it up to ignorance and not stupidity.

MacFitz92
03-20-2011, 05:51 PM

The NBA is soft in general, but with that being said, Bynum's foul was a cheap shot. It wasn't a "hard foul", it was a cheap shot. Bynum is a big guy and playing like an NFL safety could have ended Beasley's career. Bynum's foul was extremely uncalled for, and the 2 day suspension was extremely light.

gaughan333
03-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Why do you seem to think that everyone only cares because of some sort of bias? 2 games is a fair suspension, he went after Beasley and not the ball I'll agree with you there.

showtym24
03-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Soft *** league.

showtym24
03-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Back in the day it wouldve just been a regular foul. Oh well, blazers and suns are small. We'll be ok.

KingPosey
03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I think the NBA is waaaay to soft, and im not a Bynum hater, BUT, he deserved to be suspended. He jumped, didnt even put his arms up, purposely shoulder checked a defenseless Beasley in mid air, andd then forearm shoved him. It wasnt an accident.

KG21
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Should have been 4-6 games and not 2.

Wade>You
03-20-2011, 06:34 PM

If it were a player on the Heat, there would not have been any suspension.I would like to hear more about as to why you think this.

I think the Heat have their own issues they need to worry about and aren't really looking at the any team in the West until they can at least get past Boston.

Jewelz0376
03-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Yea as a Laker fan even I had to admit that foul was dirty as hell..he was so close to completely destroy his left arm like Bogut did..he barely tucked in his left arm before he hit the ground...

kobebabe
03-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Dude you are making c's fans look really damn. I am sure none is pleased with your comment. Think before you post.

kobebabe
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
yea. Bynum's foul was uncalled for. I say U deserve it drew but it will all work out for 2 reasons:

1. You get to rest those knees big man

2. lamar makes his case for 6th man

Bruno
03-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I was expecting a one game suspension. He'll be missed tonight against Portland, I'm expecting a down to the wire shoot-out. Bynum needs to be smarter about how he choose to "enforce" the paint; tuck those elbows in big-fella.

Ol' glass knees could use the rest :shrug:.

lakeshow3peat
03-20-2011, 09:18 PM
not a cheap shot and two games not bad he needs to rest up those knees

Madtown22
03-20-2011, 09:31 PM
cheap foul, he needed something done. 2 isn't bad i was thinking 4 or 5

jzero
03-20-2011, 09:53 PM

id like to see what you would do if u wer in beasley's position
you'd probably sue the guy
stop faking tough mate

amos1er
03-21-2011, 04:10 AM
I would like to hear more about as to why you think this.

I think the Heat have their own issues they need to worry about and aren't really looking at the any team in the West until they can at least get past Boston.

Ok...we both know that if any key player on the Heat committed the same foul, there would not have been any suspension. Can I prove this.....no, but based the favoritism I have in go to Lebron over the years, I gave my opinion.

BTW, you have more worries than just Boston....honestly, if you guys played the Bulls, based on regular season record, team matchups and the fact that they have owned you in the regular season, they would be the statistical favorites. Not to rely purely on stats or anything, but I also believe that is also the general opinions of most experts and analysts around the NBA. That is also my opinion as a fan of the NBA. You might be able to say that I am a bias fan, but I honestly believe that the Bulls would win against the Heat in the playoffs, the only way the Heat would win would be in a game seven, and that would take a lot out of them and is not too likely IMO.

I do try to be as fair as I can when giving my opinion. I would admit it if I thought the Heat would beat the Bulls. In all honestly, you are the third best team in the East, and the sixth best team in the league behind the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs. I am also being very generous, as one could make a pretty good case the OKC is better or just as good as well. I don't personally believe so, but I'm just saying that one could make a good case.

kblo247
03-21-2011, 04:34 AM

Please on the holier than thou **** when KG punched a guy in the balls and undercut him with no suspension and Rondo once ***** slapped a guy and threw one into a scorer's table with no consequence. He deserved a game for making no play on the ball like Elton Brand early this season, two is excessive especially when Dampier threw Tony Parker into the second row out of the air and got none, but oh well he can use the rest and make LO that much more of a lock for 6th Man of The Year.

Wade>You
03-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Ok...we both know that if any key player on the Heat committed the same foul, there would not have been any suspension. Can I prove this.....no, but based the favoritism I have in go to Lebron over the years, I gave my opinion.

BTW, you have more worries than just Boston....honestly, if you guys played the Bulls, based on regular season record, team matchups and the fact that they have owned you in the regular season, they would be the statistical favorites. Not to rely purely on stats or anything, but I also believe that is also the general opinions of most experts and analysts around the NBA. That is also my opinion as a fan of the NBA. You might be able to say that I am a bias fan, but I honestly believe that the Bulls would win against the Heat in the playoffs, the only way the Heat would win would be in a game seven, and that would take a lot out of them and is not too likely IMO.

I do try to be as fair as I can when giving my opinion. I would admit it if I thought the Heat would beat the Bulls. In all honestly, you are the third best team in the East, and the sixth best team in the league behind the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs. I am also being very generous, as one could make a pretty good case the OKC is better or just as good as well. I don't personally believe so, but I'm just saying that one could make a good case.I don't disagree with the Damp/Bynum issue; I was wondering why you think the Heat and Lakers record is relevant. It would only matter if we meet in the Finals, which is something not on the Heat's mind right now, as we both agree on.

As for the Bulls, I'm more worried about the refs than them, but thanks.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2011, 04:41 AM
he should get a bigger suspension. You don't jack your shoulder into a guy when he is way up in the air when you are 7', 270 lbs. Bynum should be getting more games. Beasley could have been seriously hurt.

To the Laker fans saying "its cool, he needs the rest", are you fkin serious? Grow up. That was an intentional hard hit that knocked a man on his ***. Own up to your boy making a dirty play.

kblo247
03-21-2011, 04:50 AM
He made a dirty play, that isn't argued, but he isn't even the first guy to make a dirty play this year.

Dampier pushed Tony Parker in the back out of the air and got no games. KG hit a guy in the balls and walked under him while landing and got no games. Brand pushed a guy out of the air and got one game. Kwame Brown hurt Boozer and got nothing done to him.

Realistically, if it wasn't Bynum making the play, it would have been Barnes or another Laker with the way they were all jawing with Beasley on the Laker broadcast and listening to them after the game all backing his actions.

2 games is more than fair based on precedents set this season, and you can make an argument that the extra game is harsh in comparison to others since the fact is these guys, all big men, who all made dirty plays on guys in the air got one or no games.

LA doesn't need him for the Blazers or Suns at all, so it isn't like it hurts the team. It helps Odom make it that more obvious that he should get 6th man recognition, which is nice because he deserves the award and not to be screwed out of it like last year because points are flashy. It also helps Andrew because he gets to sit at home, rest, and play World of Warcraft over hurting his knees or putting more miles on them.

He did the crime. Let him pay the proverbial time, and LA will keep the train moving just fine without him, and theoretically it should only help a guy with his injury past to get rest before the postseason.

This is just keeping it 100. He earned the suspension and the verdict tied to it, but their are obvious benefits as well that most LAL fans will be more than happy about when looking at the big picture.

shep33
03-21-2011, 04:51 AM
he should get a bigger suspension. You don't jack your shoulder into a guy when he is way up in the air when you are 7', 270 lbs. Bynum should be getting more games. Beasley could have been seriously hurt.

To the Laker fans saying "its cool, he needs the rest", are you fkin serious? Grow up. That was an intentional hard hit that knocked a man on his ***. Own up to your boy making a dirty play.

I don't think a lot of Laker fans aren't arguing that it was a dirty play, we're just talking about how it isn't so bad to get Drew some rest after he's been killing it lately.

He deserves a suspension no doubt, I hope Bease is okay.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2011, 04:58 AM
I don't think a lot of Laker fans aren't arguing that it was a dirty play, we're just talking about how it isn't so bad to get Drew some rest after he's been killing it lately.

He deserves a suspension no doubt, I hope Bease is okay.

understood. I just find it kind of insulting as a Wolves fan that many Laker fans kind of look at this as, "yeah, yeah, it was dirty, but the good news is, he can get some rest".

The NBA did what is needed to. I just think the rest part could have been left out. Kind of like adding insult to injury so to speak

amos1er
03-21-2011, 05:03 AM
I don't disagree with the Damp/Bynum issue; I was wondering why you think the Heat and Lakers record is relevant. It would only matter if we meet in the Finals, which is something not on the Heat's mind right now, as we both agree on.

As for the Bulls, I'm more worried about the refs than them, but thanks.

Thats the way most Laker fans feel about the Heat.

I'm sure that the Heat are trying to reach the finals. Play to win right. That said, even the Timberwolves are playing to win, but they don't realistically believe they will reach the finals. Most likely, the Heat don't as well which was the point you alluded to. I can agree on that, but I just see some really wacky Heat fans on this site and people who I meet in real life that honestly believe in their hearts that the Heat are going all the way this year. No seriously, they actually do think that the Heat are the best team in the league currently...I know they have potential, but to honestly say that they have the best chance of winning it all this year is absurd and I'm glad that you are sensible enough to see that.

effen5
03-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Def a dirty play.

king4day
03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
I saw in the other thread people saying he was sending a message by throwing him down but come mon. If it was the other way around it would have been pandemonium.

The only message I read on that play was that Bynum couldn't stop Beasley without hurting him.

enserio
03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
It was a cheap/dirty play, the suspension is deserved. I hope it sends a message to the league and there are no more dirty plays for the rest of my life.

kblo247
03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I saw in the other thread people saying he was sending a message by throwing him down but come mon. If it was the other way around it would have been pandemonium.

The only message I read on that play was that Bynum couldn't stop Beasley without hurting him.

If it was the other way around, Bynum would be suspended for 5 games or so for not Beasley out after the foul.

RaiderLakersA's
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
He made a dirty play, that isn't argued, but he isn't even the first guy to make a dirty play this year.

Dampier pushed Tony Parker in the back out of the air and got no games. KG hit a guy in the balls and walked under him while landing and got no games. Brand pushed a guy out of the air and got one game. Kwame Brown hurt Boozer and got nothing done to him.

Realistically, if it wasn't Bynum making the play, it would have been Barnes or another Laker with the way they were all jawing with Beasley on the Laker broadcast and listening to them after the game all backing his actions.

2 games is more than fair based on precedents set this season, and you can make an argument that the extra game is harsh in comparison to others since the fact is these guys, all big men, who all made dirty plays on guys in the air got one or no games.

LA doesn't need him for the Blazers or Suns at all, so it isn't like it hurts the team. It helps Odom make it that more obvious that he should get 6th man recognition, which is nice because he deserves the award and not to be screwed out of it like last year because points are flashy. It also helps Andrew because he gets to sit at home, rest, and play World of Warcraft over hurting his knees or putting more miles on them.

He did the crime. Let him pay the proverbial time, and LA will keep the train moving just fine without him, and theoretically it should only help a guy with his injury past to get rest before the postseason.

This is just keeping it 100. He earned the suspension and the verdict tied to it, but their are obvious benefits as well that most LAL fans will be more than happy about when looking at the big picture.

Totally agree.

Was it a dirty play? No doubt. But I've seen as bad, if not worse, with less punishment.

I won't get into the "Beasley had it coming," aspect, but I will suggest that while guys like Garnett (and other superstars) can get away with talking smack all game long without retaliation, it's foolish for every player to think that they have that same cachet. Back in the day you'd see quite a few players get laid out for writing checks with their mouths that their butts couldn't cash.

And since Bynum was ejected for the flagrant, can we technically call it a 2.5 game suspension? :D

mttwlsn16
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM

u get confused easily. hes saying it wasnt a foul...instead he is calling is a cheap shot bc it was worse than a foul

WolvesJagsOs
03-21-2011, 01:37 PM

wow dude. The dude fricken put a shoulder into him when he was in the air, whats he suppose to do? let Bynum shove him around? This is basketball, not football, and i dont believe basketball is much of a contact sport. It wasnt a huge deal, but it definetely deserved the suspension he got.