PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Interested in Jeff Van Gundy?

Fireworld
03-20-2011, 02:36 AM
I heard again this week that the Lakers remain intrigued by the prospect of hiring Jeff Van Gundy -- and you have to presume that the reigning champs are in the select club of teams with the wherewithal to finally lure Van Gundy away from ESPN's courtside announcing table -- but I've had the same question every year when someone says he's a candidate in L.A.: Can Van Gundy really deliver the sort of entertainment that Lakers owner Jerry Buss craves?

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110318-20/nba-coaching-carousel)

Storch
03-20-2011, 02:41 AM
I always thought JVG hated the Lakers though? :shrug:

But anyway, I don't like him. I think theres a quote somewhere of him claiming the Heat would beat the bulls record this year and never lose more than 1 game in a row. Dislike!

Avenged
03-20-2011, 02:50 AM
He's a commentator, he says stuff to get ratings and whatnot. Wouldn't mind him, Mitch and F.O knows what they're doing. I think they'll be a few suitors to pick from when PJ retires so at least names are being mentioned right now.

Storch
03-20-2011, 02:57 AM
He's a commentator, he says stuff to get ratings and whatnot. Wouldn't mind him, Mitch and F.O knows what they're doing. I think they'll be a few suitors to pick from when PJ retires so at least names are being mentioned right now.

I wouldn't mind Shaw.

lakers4sho
03-20-2011, 03:28 AM
same turd who said that the Heat will win 72 and not lose 2 in a row? :laugh2:

I love him as a color commentator though, don't get me wrong.

Storch
03-20-2011, 03:46 AM
same turd who said that the Heat will win 72 and not lose 2 in a row? :laugh2:

I love him as a color commentator though, don't get me wrong.

I hate his eyebags :laugh2: but he truly IS entertaining.

shep33
03-20-2011, 04:25 AM
I love Van Gundy as a commentator. However, he is also a very very good coach. People underestimate what he's done. The guy is a defensive genius... offensively I don't know, but defensively, the guy knows what he's talking about

Kobe>LBJ
03-20-2011, 04:36 AM
lets keep it in-house, I would go with Shaw

DownUnder
03-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Is he the one who looks like he would fit straight into the Adams family?

Iron24th
03-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Yeah Shaw deserves it.

handle
03-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Oh, hell no.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
he is on kobe's nuts though lol:laugh2:

Vinylman
03-20-2011, 11:11 AM
he would be a terrible fit for a veteran team because he is so controlling just like his brother...

fact of the matter is both Van Gundy's are overrated as head coaches...

We need a talent manager more than a control freak...

Mcdoh
03-20-2011, 11:23 AM
i think shaw deserved to be phil's replacement..

midwestlaker75
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Jeff Van Gundy was accidental coach who lucked in to a job w/the N.Y.Knicks when Pat Riley left. Got lucky in a 50 game season and went to the finals. Him and his brother are not good coaches and neither should be anywhere near an NBA bench in L.A. or anywhere else for that matter. We should be looking at winners and winners only. So that means if we are not going to go with Brian Shaw (my preference), Only coaches from winning situations, which narrows it down considerably. That means nobody from the Van Gundy family, nobody named Larry Brown and anybody else frome the recycled coach dept.(Adelman, Westphal, Skiles and any other coach that could potentially be fired this summer) so that list should also include Kurt Rambis too. So if the Lakers are going to go otuside the organization there is only one name that should be on that list....RILEY, if not him then give it to Shaw. Besides, those of you who feel that we should go after Dwight Howard... If we hire Van Gundy, you can forget about it. He doesn't like Stan and he will hate Jeff even more. And Kobe Bryant....forget about it.

Wilson
03-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Jeff Van Gundy, the Commentator - annoying, irritating, sensationalist.

Jeff Van Gundy, the Coach - calm, intelligent, defensively strong.

If we decided against giving the job to Brian Shaw (or Kurt Rambis or Byron Scott, depending on what happens with them), I would love to have JVG coach us. I think I prefer him to those three actually. He would keep us strong on the defensive end and then we'd still have guys to teach the triangle on offense - or we could just go pick-and-roll with Kobe, Pau and Bynum. That might help Kobe out as well since it would increase Pau and Bynum's scoring output, plus it might help Bynum's overall growth.

Yeah, I'd really be happy if we hired Jeff Van Gundy.

enserio
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I think Shaw holds a spot in all of us Laker fans, but I'd be more comfortable with Cleamons taking over this team.

BigCityofDreams
03-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Why do you guys feel Shaw deserves to be Phil's replacement? Do you think he would make the transition easier?

Avenged
03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I agree with Shep and Wilson.

Hunter48MVP
03-20-2011, 01:49 PM
no thanks

KillaInstinct24
03-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I always thought JVG hated the Lakers though? :shrug:

But anyway, I don't like him. I think theres a quote somewhere of him claiming the Heat would beat the bulls record this year and never lose more than 1 game in a row. Dislike!

read that again and ask yourself how serious does that quote sound? :rolleyes:

KillaInstinct24
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Why do you guys feel Shaw deserves to be Phil's replacement? Do you think he would make the transition easier?

is shaw ready to coach a veteran team? i mean i like shaw and all, but he would be a first year head coach. he was good as a leader when he PLAYED for a veteran team, but does he demand and command the respect of this team? or do they see him as an older brother type? my guess is whatever decision the lakers make is gonna be the right one, because we dont know the answers to all of these questions.

lakers4sho
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I think the decision will ultimately depend on Colby. Who he wants to play for.

KillaInstinct24
03-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Jeff Van Gundy, the Commentator - annoying, irritating, sensationalist.

Jeff Van Gundy, the Coach - calm, intelligent, defensively strong.

If we decided against giving the job to Brian Shaw (or Kurt Rambis or Byron Russell, depending on what happens with them), I would love to have JVG coach us. I think I prefer him to those three actually. He would keep us strong on the defensive end and then we'd still have guys to teach the triangle on offense - or we could just go pick-and-roll with Kobe, Pau and Bynum. That might help Kobe out as well since it would increase Pau and Bynum's scoring output, plus it might help Bynum's overall growth.

Yeah, I'd really be happy if we hired Jeff Van Gundy.

:confused: do u mean byron scott?

handle
03-20-2011, 02:36 PM
read that again and ask yourself how serious does that quote sound? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he was serious. In fact, yes, he was serious. He's a gushing, starstruck LeBron fan, and doesn't particularly like Kobe (because he threatens his favorite players status as the #1 player) or the Lakers (because he's jealous of Phil's success). Yeah, let's hire him.

Found the quote for you:

`They will break the single-season win record [of 72],” Jeff Van Gundy
said. “And I think they have a legit shot at the Lakers’ 33-game
[winning] streak [in 1971-72], as well. And only the Lakers have even a
remote shot at beating them in a playoff series. They will never lose
two games in a row this year.

Vinylman
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
How is JVG going to get the respect of the team?

He has never won anything...

Do you think players with up to 6 rings are gonna listen to JVG? You are crazy if you do...

we need a caretaker who has strong personal relationships with the players....

shaw, scott, Rambis, etc..

Why do you think Kobe likes coach K? Because he respects winners...

btw... i am not wanting coach K on the lakers... i am merely showing you the type of coach they would respect from outside the organization.

CLASSOF72
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't want to even think about a new coach right now. There's no way it will go good for us and for those of you who've already made up your mind. Making the jump from assistant to head coach with a system as difficult as ours is and having success is a long shot at best.

As far as JV goes he earned my respect when he jumped into a heap of scraping bigs, homeboy's got some issues.

Wilson
03-20-2011, 04:18 PM
:confused: do u mean byron scott?

Yeah I do, my mistake :p

LA_Raiders
03-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I always like him. he did a great job with NY... Shaw is not ready IMO, he might run a half *** triangle offence. Riley would be great, but he wont leave his miami puppets, and I believe he owns part of the heat too...

THINKBLUE15
03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
idk about coaching but a 3 man booth of Spero, Van Gundy, and Stew....I'd like that :)

KillaInstinct24
03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he was serious. In fact, yes, he was serious. He's a gushing, starstruck LeBron fan, and doesn't particularly like Kobe (because he threatens his favorite players status as the #1 player) or the Lakers (because he's jealous of Phil's success). Yeah, let's hire him.

Found the quote for you:

`They will break the single-season win record [of 72],” Jeff Van Gundy
said. “And I think they have a legit shot at the Lakers’ 33-game
[winning] streak [in 1971-72], as well. And only the Lakers have even a
remote shot at beating them in a playoff series. They will never lose
two games in a row this year.

the reason i say this is because the guy is as sarcastic as they come. not saying he isnt a closet lbj or heat fan, but he says a lot things that come out sounding serious that he doesnt even believe himself. you'd know this if you listened to him broadcast for 10 minutes. if he was serious, oh well, the guy has favorites, who cares, i dont think if the lakers hired him, he would jeopardize the lakers if they met the heat in the finals because he likes lebron. with all that said im not on the hire jvg bandwagon, but you gotta look at it realistically. we cant expect everyone to show the lakers love all the time. look at paul pierce, he loved the lakers and hated the celtics, but when you become the enemy you revel in that, you act professionally and you do all you can for your team. even if it was the team you hated growing up. i trust dr. buss makes the right decision for the team, whether thats jvg kurt byron or brian

Bruno
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd say JVG could be one of the better "out of house" options available. Defensive minded, knows how to deal with star talent. I said the same thing in the Rambis thread; options are nice.

Lake_Show2416
03-20-2011, 10:03 PM
ric adelman please!

always appreciated his work

LAKERMANIA
03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
No. I would hate Van Gundy

LAdiablo
03-20-2011, 11:43 PM
can't see belky roaming the hollywood sidelines

KillaInstinct24
03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
did nate mcmillian sign an ext with portland?