PDA

View Full Version : Centerstage: Brook Lopez

Young and Stupid
03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Okay, I've been a member of PSD for roughly two years and I have yet to make a biased post. I pride myself on always assessing sports objectively -- sometimes to the dismay of the fellow fans for said team -- while also employing logic and remaining imperturbable. However, I think I'm due for a homer-induced post. So without further ado...

What if I told you that a player that used to be overrated has quickly become underrated? What if I told you that this forgotten player could ultimately lead to a large-scale change in the NBA landscape? What if I told you that this player only gets haircuts every two months? What if I told you that this player was only twenty-two with the potential to become significantly better? What if I told you that this player could ultimately be traded for the best player in the league at his position? What if I told you that Brook Lopez was the most offensively-talented center in the league?

I'm sure your first reaction would be: Brook Lopez? You mean the guy who plays on the Nets? Yeah, I don't care. Your second would be something along the lines of: We're talking about the same center, right? The one who averages less rebounds than several guards in the NBA? You mean, that Brook Lopez? My response: Yes. As crazy as it sounds, I sincerely believe that Lopez has the most offensive-talent in the NBA at his position.

Despite his poor shooting percentage (which has grown significantly since the Nets acquired Deron Williams) Lopez is easily the most offensively-skilled center in the league. He has great touch around the rim, has an almost automatic hook-shot (a lost art in today's NBA), an array of post-moves (see: DeAndre Jordan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClEoWDySQTM&feature=related#t=1m35s)) and a consistent mid-range game which extends out to about twenty feet. Now, saying that Lopez is NBA's top offensive-center isn't saying much because of the pool that he's competing against, but it doesn't change the fact. Brook Lopez is one of the NBA's most promising centers and he's being overlooked.

I've always been one of Brook's biggest critics -- many Nets fans claim that I have something personal against him -- he was being significantly overrated last season when many were arguing that he had the potential to become a better player than Dwight Howard. That's taking it too far, but the reason for that is Dwight's ability to play on both sides of the floor. He's one of -- if not -- the best defenders in the league, his impact on the Magic's defense is often overlooked. In fact, I'd argue that Howard is significantly underrated as a player and my vote for MVP would go to him instead of Rose. Brook Lopez is also one of the poorest rebounding big-men this league has seen, but that's something which has only reared its head this season. Prior to this year, Brook was averaging close to nine rebounds a game, with a significantly higher rebounding percentage.

So far, Brook is a below average rebounder and defender (despite being one of the league's best shot-blockers). Many have hypothesized that the decrease in his rebounding resulted from the mononucleosis he caught over the summer smashing dirty girls at comic con (the dude's a nerd), but it doesn't completely excuse his lack of effort on the boards. Whatever the case may be, Brook has shown the ability to be a competent rebounder and defender, it's just a matter of him putting in effort.

Anyway, that was way too long. My point is that Lopez is being overlooked when people talk about centers in the NBA; he has the one of the league's best post-games only behind Al Jefferson (Yao did, but it's uncertain if he'll return), great touch around the rim, one of the better mid-range games I've seen from a big-man and the potential to become a lot better. If Brook can put weight on (and in effect, increase his ability to get post-position) and commit himself on the defensive-end he could be the 2nd best center in the league (in a close race with Andrew Bynum). He could very well end up being traded for Dwight Howard in a deal that would unite the league's best point-guard and center in the NBA's best arena. Don't sleep on Brook Lopez.

Flash3
03-19-2011, 06:29 PM
he is a beast and i know he can rebound he did almost grab 9 a game last year, i remember some one saying he had pneumonia over the summer which resulted in alot of weight loss and that was he's been soft this year.

ManRam
03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Really well-written. One of the few multi paragraph things I've read word for word.

Just briefly...I totally agree. I think he has seen both extremes of overratedness and underratedness, and never the right level in between. We've been a bit quick to jump off the Brook bandwagon. Yes, he has some weaknesses, and rebounding is a huge problem for him...but it doesn't overshadow the things he does do very well. He's as skilled as it gets, that's for sure.

Ability to be the second best center in the league? I don't know about that...I don't know if I ever felt that. However, his overall game is incredibly fine tuned, and he's still only 22 too.

Fans are truly are too prone to be prisoners of the moment. We like to forget the good things and remember the bad. Brook has everything he had his rookie and sophomore years. Those weren't flukes. He'll be fine. It's also hard to judge him since he is on a bad team. Some guys just post insane numbers without helping their team at all, and some can't do that. It doesn't make you a better player.

Again, well written. We are too concerned with those rebounds, but he's been great offensively, great defensively, and he's young.

Kris Humphries being a top 5 rebounder in the league hogging them all doesn't help with that either ;)

Geargo Wallace
03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Bargnani makes Brook look like Moses Malone.

GeekInThePink
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
I would give it too Bargnani,

45 percent FG%
34.0 3P%
82%
1.8 assists per game

Geargo Wallace
03-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I would give it too Bargnani,

45 percent FG%
34.0 3P%
82%
1.8 assists per game

Bargs is an oversized shooting guard. Second best SG in Raps history and the best female player in NBA history.

GeekInThePink
03-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Bargs is an oversized shooting guard. Second best SG in Raps history and the best female player in NBA history.

He plays center, I was just stating my opinion that Bargnani was the best offensive center in the league.

masalex1205
03-19-2011, 07:25 PM

lol

DoMeFavors
03-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Might be one of the softest players in the league, might be one of the worst defenders aswell.

jrm2054
03-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Lopez is underrated bc of the nets thing.

toovey107
03-19-2011, 08:38 PM
He doesn't play defense and he cannot grab a board to save his life.

You're never going to get much praise when you're 7ft tall and cannot do either of those things.

Good offensive player though.

Edit: totally lol'd at your, "I've never made a biased post" comment.

Everyone makes biased posts.

DwayneMVPwade
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Might be one of the softest players in the league, might be one of the worst defenders aswell.

Bargs is the worst rebounding big and the worst defending big.

DwayneMVPwade
03-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Lopez is underrated bc of the nets thing.

agreed.

hugepatsfan
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM

lmao

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2011, 09:40 PM
For me, offense is not JUST about scoring, but also passing. More turnovers than assists? Horford is a much better passer, and Pao Gasol is the best offensive center in my book, but I gather what you mean by offensive is "scoring".

In that case, yes, Lopez ranks up there with a lot of centers. His FG% is lower than some, but that is because he takes lower percentage shots than some (lets face it, Howard hits a lot of dunks... high% shots, no?). Channing Frye has some range, and Kevin Love (PF, yes? But he'd be playing C if Minny didnt have Darko, and he's still a power player) has a great O game, post, range, and while his TO are almost as high as his assists, that is a little better than some other Cs in the league (Howard, Lopes).

Lopez can easily turn out to be one of the best Cs in the league if he commits himself. But that is a big if. Its the difference between Derrick Coleman and Karl Malone.

Chill_Will_24
03-19-2011, 10:01 PM
He doesn't play defense and he cannot grab a board to save his life.

You're never going to get much praise when you're 7ft tall and cannot do either of those things.

Good offensive player though.

Edit: totally lol'd at your, "I've never made a biased post" comment.

Everyone makes biased posts.

Trust me... He doesn't. I used to dislike him so bad for it. He's as unbiased and reasonable as they come. Great PSD poster... And again, this comes from a guy that couldn't stand him. I used to call him an undercover Knick fan

DoMeFavors
03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Kevin Love is SO much better than Brook Lopez.

The_Jamal
03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Pau Gasol is not a god damn Center.

Crackadalic
03-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Hmm you've slightly change my opinion on him so ill give him some credit but from almost every net game ive seen he is still a poor defender and his rebounding has to get better. Theirs games where he dont even try. Its as bad as Amare and he ave 8 boards a game. He also makes a lot of mistakes on the offensive end as well as rushes a lot of shots at times but he is a way better offensive player then dwight is

NJ Raven
03-20-2011, 01:15 AM

Love is a PF.

King P
03-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Lopez is capable of playing defense and grabbing boards. I mean for the past 2 years he averaged almost 9 rebounds.

This year is just a down year for him due to many reasons. He still has work to do, and he's only 22. We'll see what happens in the next 2-3 years.

Young and Stupid
03-20-2011, 10:15 AM

See, that's actually a really interesting question for me. Some will argue that I'm overrating Lopez -- and they very well may be right -- but I would take Brook Lopez over Kevin Love.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kevin (pun-intended), he's a good passer, a GREAT rebounder, has nice range on his jumper and is a good personality, but I tend to think that he's slightly overrated. You can't argue with his stats though, if you observe those in a vacuum it'd be really hard to select Lopez over him, but I'm not sure that stats tell the whole story with Love. The irony in it is that I'm a guy who relies on stats to effectively evaluate a player's worth.

I think there are multiple factors that have led to Love's inflated rebounding numbers, but I don't want to take all credit away. Whatever the case may be, I'd take Lopez over Love because of a multitude of factors the main one being that Brook's ceiling is higher. Yet now that I look at it, Love's win-shares is double Lopez's. Whatever; **** it.

King P
03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Kevin Love is similar to David Lee; he was really good on a bad team because they needed him. Let's see what happens when/if he goes to a team where he isn't the #1 option

I have no doubt in my mind that David Lee or even Kris Humphries would put up monster numbers playing for Minny.

1-800-STFU
03-20-2011, 12:13 PM
He plays center, I was just stating my opinion that Bargnani was the best offensive center in the league.

WOOOOOOOOOOSH

Thats the sound of that joke going over your head

Geargo Wallace
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOSH

ahahaha

Sadds The Gr8
03-20-2011, 02:47 PM

hahahahahhaahha

WOOOOOOOOOOSH

+1

AIRMAR72
03-20-2011, 03:01 PM
brook always was a better player between him is brother but deron is the REASON why brook is playing well theres nothing like a PG who is willing to share da ball and finding you for easy shots inreturn brook is now rebounding the ball and with a purpose and look like a total diffrent player thanks to deron

KnicksorBust
03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
What if I told you that Brook Lopez was the most offensively-talented center in the league?

If Brook can put weight on and commit himself on the defensive-end he could be the 2nd best center in the league.

Very strong OP and you bring up reasonable points especially considering how well he's been playing lately. Theoretically he should be able to keep this up when Deron is on the floor. Strictly talking about offensive talent you are right we can put him near the top but when you bring in the whole game I don't think he'll ever crack the top 5. Offensively, he's not as good as Al Jefferson or Lamarcus Aldridge and overall I'd be hard-pressed to take him over Horford, Bogut or a healthy Andrew Bynum. Throw in Dwight Howard who is clearly the class of the position and it makes it very difficult for him to crack the top 5.

footballer2369
03-20-2011, 03:31 PM
See, that's actually a really interesting question for me. Some will argue that I'm overrating Lopez -- and they very well may be right -- but I would take Brook Lopez over Kevin Love.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kevin (pun-intended), he's a good passer, a GREAT rebounder, has nice range on his jumper and is a good personality, but I tend to think that he's slightly overrated. You can't argue with his stats though, if you observe those in a vacuum it'd be really hard to select Lopez over him, but I'm not sure that stats tell the whole story with Love. The irony in it is that I'm a guy who relies on stats to effectively evaluate a player's worth.

I think there are multiple factors that have led to Love's inflated rebounding numbers, but I don't want to take all credit away. Whatever the case may be, I'd take Lopez over Love because of a multitude of factors the main one being that Brook's ceiling is higher. Yet now that I look at it, Love's win-shares is double Lopez's. Whatever; **** it.

Congrats on losing your biased post virginity.

UKblazers
03-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm starting to think might just be a down and next year is when the real lopez will appear,I doubt he's this bad a rebounder and his post moves are in the al Jefferson class. His lateral movement is too slow however to ever be even an average defender for his position.

Young and Stupid
03-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Congrats on losing your biased post virginity.

Had to happen sooner or later. Hopefully, next time I can last longer.

LA_Raiders
03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Bargs is the worst rebounding big and the worst defending big.

He is right there with Lopez

KingPosey
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Really well-written. One of the few multi paragraph things I've read word for word.

Just briefly...I totally agree. I think he has seen both extremes of overratedness and underratedness, and never the right level in between. We've been a bit quick to jump off the Brook bandwagon. Yes, he has some weaknesses, and rebounding is a huge problem for him...but it doesn't overshadow the things he does do very well. He's as skilled as it gets, that's for sure.

Ability to be the second best center in the league? I don't know about that...I don't know if I ever felt that. However, his overall game is incredibly fine tuned, and he's still only 22 too.

Fans are truly are too prone to be prisoners of the moment. We like to forget the good things and remember the bad. Brook has everything he had his rookie and sophomore years. Those weren't flukes. He'll be fine. It's also hard to judge him since he is on a bad team. Some guys just post insane numbers without helping their team at all, and some can't do that. It doesn't make you a better player.

Again, well written. We are too concerned with those rebounds, but he's been great offensively, great defensively, and he's young.

Kris Humphries being a top 5 rebounder in the league hogging them all doesn't help with that either ;)
KH is the guy no one seems to notice. He can really play. I root for Stanford basketball, so I love Brook. His rebounding has really been an anomaly. He is better than that. And he does have an awesome game around the rim. He COULD become the 2nd or 3rd best C in the league, because he is that talented, but more so because Cs arent that great right now in the NBA.

Bruno
03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Nice read. Brook has a lot of potential and has a lot to work with offensively. He just needs to work on hitting the glass!

ee
03-21-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm a big net and Lopez fan....He's just uninspired, need to do alot of work in the summer....I remember his interview, they asked about his rebounding issue and he said it's just a stat, that made me:facepalm:.....Hope Deron can put some fire on this kid coz the sky is the limit for him if puts his mind into it.....I think Brooks heart is not all about basketball, just like Van Horn was, once he made the money, even when he can still play, he retired very early, another one is Bison Dele aka Brian Williams, he was becoming one of the top centers in the league then he quit the game for no reason.....I hope I'm wrong about brook though....

flclfanman
03-21-2011, 04:01 AM

Joakim Noah is third in the NBA in rebounds (a little over 12 a game) and his frontcourt mate Carlos Boozer still manages to grab 9 boards a night, so no excuses. Lopez can score, that's it.

Could he be a better rebounder and defender? absolutely. Is he now? :laugh:

jmoney85
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Joakim Noah is third in the NBA in rebounds (a little over 12 a game) and his frontcourt mate Carlos Boozer still manages to grab 9 boards a night, so no excuses. Lopez can score, that's it.

Could he be a better rebounder and defender? absolutely. Is he now? :laugh:

when is boozer ever on the floor? lol

CowboysKB24
03-22-2011, 01:09 AM
I agree Dwight Howard for MVP. No player really matches his impact on offense and especially defense. He is the best defensive player in the league.

As for Lopez being the second best center, I don't agree. He is good and has potential, but he needs to work on defense. He doesn't have a great defensive presence and needs give more effort.

And Dwight going to the NJ for Lopez would only happen if Dwight wanted to go there. and if D Will stays. If Dwight leaves Orlando, it is because he wants to win. His best option is not going to be the Nets. I doubt he ends up in NJ. I don't think most players like the owners. He will end up on an already elite team.