PDA

View Full Version : Was the 2004 Finals the biggest NBA upset ever?

knightstemplar
03-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Was the 04 finals the biggest NBA upset
Was it?, or was there a bigger upset

2004 NBA Finals. Detroit Pistons trouncing the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton. The Pistons beat them in 5 games. 3 of their 4 wins were won by 12 pts or more. The only game the Lakers won was because of a last second 3-pointer by Kobe. The Lakers were supposedly "unbeatable." They were beaten badly and were so embarrassed they completely dismantled the team the following year. This is the biggest, most underrated upset of all time.

Hustlenomics
03-18-2011, 02:57 AM
no but it was the funniest

210Don
03-18-2011, 02:59 AM
why would a finals matchup be a upset???? smh

knightstemplar
03-18-2011, 03:11 AM
no but it was the funniest

what series was a bigger upset then?

heyman321
03-18-2011, 03:14 AM
what series was a bigger upset then?

G-state vs Mavs in 2007? Knicks when they were the eighth seed in 98 I think.

knightstemplar
03-18-2011, 03:29 AM
G-state vs Mavs in 2007? Knicks when they were the eighth seed in 98 I think.

but that was in the first round, not as big of a stage

shep33
03-18-2011, 03:52 AM
In truth I find it amazing that the Lakers of 2004 even got to the Finals... an overweight Shaq that wasn't motivated and often injured, an aging Karl Malone who would play his last year ever, an aging Gary Payton who didn't buy into Phil's system, Kobe who was going through a trial, flying back and forth, sometimes in the same day as a game... oh and a really weak bench. The Kobe vs. Shaq beef still going on.

Talk about distractions. If anyone remembers that Finals, Chauncey absolutely destroyed Payton, and then Detroit's defense basically doubled and tripled Shaq and Kobe whenever they had the ball forcing someone else to beat them. Yeah the Lakers were talented, but even as a Laker fan, I have to say that team had terrible chemistry. Kobe and Shaq carried them, but man oh man, no team that I could even remember had that many problems going on.

heathonater
03-18-2011, 03:58 AM
in hindsight, the 2004 nba finals wasnt as much of an upset as people made it out to be at the time. the pistons were a really good team for 5 years, and payton as well as malone were both declining rapidly by 2004. shaq was also declining by 2004, so i dont think the pistons beating the lakers was an upset when loooking back.

knightstemplar
03-18-2011, 04:03 AM
In truth I find it amazing that the Lakers of 2004 even got to the Finals... an overweight Shaq that wasn't motivated and often injured, an aging Karl Malone who would play his last year ever, an aging Gary Payton who didn't buy into Phil's system, Kobe who was going through a trial, flying back and forth, sometimes in the same day as a game... oh and a really weak bench. The Kobe vs. Shaq beef still going on.

Talk about distractions. If anyone remembers that Finals, Chauncey absolutely destroyed Payton, and then Detroit's defense basically doubled and tripled Shaq and Kobe whenever they had the ball forcing someone else to beat them. Yeah the Lakers were talented, but even as a Laker fan, I have to say that team had terrible chemistry. Kobe and Shaq carried them, but man oh man, no team that I could even remember had that many problems going on.

good point

GREATNESS ONE
03-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Karl Malone was the glue of that team in the post season. he guarded Yao, Duncan and a MVP Garnett. He got hurt in the WCF and Shaq and Kobe were fighting like school girls. They knew if they won that Finals they had no choice but to stay together. Too bad because they could've been the greatest duo of all time. Not taking anything away from the Pistons, great team and congrats to them winning that title. Just my opinion =)

HakeemTheDream
03-18-2011, 08:19 AM
The 2006 finals?

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Umm.... NOT even an upset. Pistons were favoured by many, the Lakers had an injured PF, a C with no help on the boards, and over-the-hill PG and a ball-hoggin Kobe who was trying to be a hero while Prince was teaching him how to play D.

The Pistons had a TEAM. They had chemistry, and they were favoured to get to the finals, and many picked them over the Lakers... THE PISTONS HAD HOME COURT!!!! AS IN THE BETTER REGULAR SEASON RECORD!!!

Hell, it was an upset that that Lakers team even beat Minny (which they needed much help from the guys with the whistles).

I think to even be considered an upset, a team needs to at least NOT have home court.

95 Rockets was the biggest upset team in my opinion, they are the only team to beat the top four records in the league on way to a title, and to not have home court in any series along the way.

rleg4305
03-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Umm.... NOT even an upset. Pistons were favoured by many, the Lakers had an injured PF, a C with no help on the boards, and over-the-hill PG and a ball-hoggin Kobe who was trying to be a hero while Prince was teaching him how to play D.

The Pistons had a TEAM. They had chemistry, and they were favoured to get to the finals, and many picked them over the Lakers... THE PISTONS HAD HOME COURT!!!! AS IN THE BETTER REGULAR SEASON RECORD!!!
Hell, it was an upset that that Lakers team even beat Minny (which they needed much help from the guys with the whistles).

I think to even be considered an upset, a team needs to at least NOT have home court.

95 Rockets was the biggest upset team in my opinion, they are the only team to beat the top four records in the league on way to a title, and to not have home court in any series along the way.

Actually the Lakers had home court.

dhopisthename
03-18-2011, 08:44 AM
the lakers had home court http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_NBA_season
I remember because I believe the pistons were if not the first, then one the few teams that won the 3 in a row at home with the 2-3-2 format for the finals

madvillian9
03-18-2011, 08:50 AM

that team had to deal with a lot of injuries during the season. everyone knew they were a team to reckon with come playoffs. it was the exact same team that won the finals the previous year.

madvillian9
03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
the lakers had home court http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_NBA_season
I remember because I believe the pistons were if not the first, then one the few teams that won the 3 in a row at home with the 2-3-2 format for the finals

the series ended 4-1 so they wouldnt have even got to the 3 at home

PistonsFan14
03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
the series ended 4-1 so they wouldnt have even got to the 3 at home

Game 1: Pistons (away)
Game 2: Lakers (away)

Game 3: Pistons (home)
Game 4: Pistons (home)
Game 5: Pistons (home)

Yes. Pistons took all of their home games.

JordansBulls
03-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Malone played in 4 of 5 games in the finals that year.

Game 1 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406060LAL.html

Game 2 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406080LAL.html

Game 3 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406100DET.html

Game 4 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406130DET.html

Game 5 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406150DET.html - This was the only one Malone didn't play in. He played in games 1 and 2 and game 1 is where LA lost HCA. Lakers were favorite in every game that series.

http://www.nba.com/games/20040601/INDDET/recap.html

the Pistons eliminated the Pacers in six games and will face the heavily favored Los Angeles Lakers for the championship beginning Sunday.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/games/2004-06-06-finals-game1_x.htm

It was the first home playoff game the heavily favored Lakers have lost after winning nine in a row, and it cost them home-court advantage.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004/series?series=laldet

Link - Game 1 2004 Finals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240606013)

Link - Game 5 2004 Finals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240615008)

"Nobody gave us a chance, but we felt we had a great chance," said Billups, the finals MVP with 21 points and 5.2 assists per game. "They had Shaq and Kobe, but we just felt we were a better team."

Malone played the first 4 games and played 44 minutes in game 1 when LA lost the advantage and played 39 minutes in game 2. Rasheed scored 3 freaking points in game 3.

I don't see how this is always brought up that Malone was injured when LA was already down in the series, but never do you here about Cassell's injury the series before where he played 1 minute in game 2 vs LA, missed games 5 and 6 and played 5 minutes in game 4.

Iodine
03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
No the 2004 finals wasn't da beegusT upset evurrrr

LAKERZZZZZZZZZ DO DAT DO WOOOOH ANY LAKER LOSS IS UPSET!!!!

moneygman
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Was the 04 finals the biggest NBA upset
Was it?, or was there a bigger upset

2004 NBA Finals. Detroit Pistons trouncing the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton. The Pistons beat them in 5 games. 3 of their 4 wins were won by 12 pts or more. The only game the Lakers won was because of a last second 3-pointer by Kobe. The Lakers were supposedly "unbeatable." They were beaten badly and were so embarrassed they completely dismantled the team the following year. This is the biggest, most underrated upset of all time.

Nooo way. Outside of Shaq and Kobe the Lakers had no supporting cast. Malone and Payton weren't good at all. Just simply old. DET was young and was good at every position. They could focus just on Kobe and Shaq because Malone and Payton weren't really effective.

moneygman
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Plus I don't think the NBA is designed for upsets. To win 4 games in a 7 game series you have to be better than the other team.

HouRealCoach
03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
A 67-15 team losing in the First ROund in 6 games is a much bigger upset... Not to mention Dallas got dismantled... They shouldnt have won game 5 and Game two Davis and SJax got thrown out the game

Raidaz4Life
03-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Maybe in finals history but not in NBA history.

whitemamba33
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I'll never consider the result of any 7 game series to be an "upset". It is what seperates us from football.

That being said, I'm a Lakers fan and even I knew the Lakers weren't going to win that series. People don't put anywhere near enough emphasis on team chemistry in these forums. They think it's just about slapping a bunch of stars together on a team and it's going to result in instant championships. If that's the case...how is it possible that the US basketball team got a bronze? The Lakers blew up the team that year, and then had injuries and court distractions all season long. They went as far as they did based on talent, but a team like Detroit was much better off and far more sustainable.

It's why Miami isn't going to win the championship this year.

Avenged
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
It was an upset in terms of star power.. But when you look at the point of their careers (Malone, Payton) and all the chemistry issues with Malone and Kobe, not really a major upset. The Pistons were a great team and continued their dominance right after with consecutive ECF appearances and a Finals appearance if I remember correctly.

whitemamba33
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
A 67-15 team losing in the First ROund in 6 games is a much bigger upset... Not to mention Dallas got dismantled... They shouldnt have won game 5 and Game two Davis and SJax got thrown out the game

true.

Chronz
03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Thread sucks, it wasnt even an upset

The Pistons single covered Shaq, Kobe got alot of attention but overall the plan was to not let the role players get going. GP was held in check by Chauncey and Kobe couldnt defend both Rip/Billups. Without Malone they had no one to step up and attack one on one. Still the Pistons were the better team to me.

Chronz
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll never consider the result of any 7 game series to be an "upset". It is what seperates us from football.

That being said, I'm a Lakers fan and even I knew the Lakers weren't going to win that series. People don't put anywhere near enough emphasis on team chemistry in these forums. They think it's just about slapping a bunch of stars together on a team and it's going to result in instant championships. If that's the case...how is it possible that the US basketball team got a bronze? The Lakers blew up the team that year, and then had injuries and court distractions all season long. They went as far as they did based on talent, but a team like Detroit was much better off and far more sustainable.

Except for the fact that Detroit had more talent.

Chronz
03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Malone played in 4 of 5 games in the finals that year.

Game 1 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406060LAL.html

Game 2 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406080LAL.html

Game 3 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406100DET.html

Game 4 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406130DET.html

Game 5 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406150DET.html - This was the only one Malone didn't play in. He played in games 1 and 2 and game 1 is where LA lost HCA. Lakers were favorite in every game that series.

Malone played the first 4 games and played 44 minutes in game 1 when LA lost the advantage and played 39 minutes in game 2. Rasheed scored 3 freaking points in game 3.

Malone playing doesnt mean hes healthy

daboywonder2002
03-18-2011, 01:08 PM
in hindsight, the 2004 nba finals wasnt as much of an upset as people made it out to be at the time. the pistons were a really good team for 5 years, and payton as well as malone were both declining rapidly by 2004. shaq was also declining by 2004, so i dont think the pistons beating the lakers was an upset when loooking back.

i was gonna say the same exact thing. that pistons team was damn good. its not after they won the ship. they just went back and did nothing. i mean they took the spurs to 7 games.

Gram
03-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Finally a thread in the NBA forum that's not about the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls or Knicks!

Gators123
03-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Pistons were the better team.

GREATNESS ONE
03-18-2011, 03:40 PM

:clap:

TEAM FAT BOYS
03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
you cant tell me that the lakers could touch ben wallace, sheed wallace, rip, tayshaun, chauncey, mcdyce? that class of guys should have won atleast 2 more championships, they remind me alot like the 85' bears of basket ball

championships
03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Might not be the biggest upset ever but it was for me :sigh:

championships
03-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Finally a thread in the NBA forum that's not about the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls or Knicks!

Make one yourself then :shrug:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
The biggest upset in sports? No.

The biggest upset in the Finals? Yeah, problley.

Bruno
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
In hindsight, it wasn't a upset at all. The 2004 Pistons posted a defensive rating of 95.4 for the 2003-2004 season. They were one of the greatest defensive teams in league history, and they had one of the most well-rounded starting 5's that I've ever seen.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/2004.html

Shaq was out of shape and uninterested, Malone was injured, Payton was garbage, Kobe shot a terrible % and was in the middle of Colorado drama. The 2004 Lakers had zero depth and had no business beating San Antonio in the first place. Medvedenko finished 3rd in playoff PER for the Lakers! That team was over-rated and doomed from the start.

IversonIsKrazy
03-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think so. But, that LA team imo was the Most TAlented team to NOT win a championship.

whitemamba33
03-19-2011, 11:42 AM
except for the fact that detroit had more talent.

iyo.

Please don't try and convince me that talent is the problem on a team that has Mike Bibby, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mike Miller, an excellent 3point shooter in James Jones, and soon Udonis Haslem.

please.

fadedmario
03-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Your ****ing crazy. They called Detroit the JV team and the Lakers the Varsity that year. They were HEAVILY favored...

fadedmario
03-19-2011, 12:01 PM
In hindsight, it wasn't a upset at all. The 2004 Pistons posted a defensive rating of 95.4 for the 2003-2004 season. They were one of the greatest defensive teams in league history, and they had one of the most well-rounded starting 5's that I've ever seen.

Shaq was out of shape and uninterested, Malone was injured, Payton was garbage, Kobe shot a terrible % and was in the middle of Colorado drama. The 2004 Lakers had zero depth and had no business beating San Antonio in the first place. Medvedenko finished 3rd in playoff PER for the Lakers! That team was over-rated and doomed from the start.

But at the time - it was an upset. We had accomplished nothing at that point. It was one of the greatest upsets of all-time without a doubt...

whitemamba33
03-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Your ****ing crazy. They called Detroit the JV team and the Lakers the Varsity that year. They were HEAVILY favored...

If you buy into what THEY say and funny nicknames in the media..then i guess it was an upset.

But for any level headed basketball fan, it wasn't much of a surprise.

LTS
03-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I live in CA and all the buzz was lakers make it there going to win and then pistons just dominated I say yes G-state beating mavs was cool but 1st round so not as important I dont believe anyone who says they didnt think the LA was the favorite for that years championship

whitemamba33
03-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I live in CA and all the buzz was lakers make it there going to win and then pistons just dominated I say yes G-state beating mavs was cool but 1st round so not as important I dont believe anyone who says they didnt think the LA was the favorite for that years championship

I believe people thought that LA was the favorite.

I just didn't believe that they were.

FuriousJatt
03-19-2011, 12:59 PM
i dont think so. shaq was fat piece of ****. kobe was going through his trial. gary payton couldnt make shots and was always complaining about lack of opportunities on offense, karl was literally on his last and didnt even play much in the finals... i think he only played 1 game in the finals and slava med(something) had to start in his place. not to mention the lakers didnt have bench... our best player besides kobe and shaq was luke walton (because he actually performed, unlike other laker players). the only two players that really performed were shaq and kobe (check the stats), everyone else just stunk. on the other hand, detroit was maximizing their talents and playing with passion i had never seen. so i wouldnt call it one of the biggest upsets. talent wise you can call it an upset, but when you consider the age of some of our players and the lack of depth, then no, not an upset at all.

Catoblepas
03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe on paper..yeah.. but the pistons players and Larry were too good.. controlling at controlling the tempo.. not turning the ball over .. and playing physical Defense.. Yeah they were a boring team to watch due to thier slow tempo low scoring games..but as you can see after the san antonio/ detroit finals match up the following year.. the league changed a lot.

Jester4k0
03-19-2011, 01:42 PM
you cant tell me that the lakers could touch ben wallace, sheed wallace, rip, tayshaun, chauncey, mcdyce? that class of guys should have won atleast 2 more championships, they remind me alot like the 85' bears of basket ball

Dyess wasn't on the championship team. He was added in the offseason.

Based on NBA bias toward big markets and coastal influence in the modern era anyway, the Detroit Pistons '04 championship was the most "improbable" of all time. Prolly, not the biggest upset because they won handily.

I remember watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop, meaning the series would continue because of the major players on the Lakers squad. I really didn't get an opportunity to enjoy it because it was over so quickly.

Plus, remember that the West had been on a major roll with championships wins since the 98-99 season. That would be 5 in a row--mostly by the Lakers, with, at that time, the best 2 players, arguably, in the NBA.

Most of us just expected the Pistons to fizzle because we had been socialized to expect the Western Conference to be better than the inferior Eastern Conference teams/players. That team caught me off guard---I only wish they could have gotten the belt back to the D a time or two later.

That team had a phenomenal run, though and I thank them for the great memories. :clap: I salute them.

Bruno
03-19-2011, 04:06 PM
But at the time - it was an upset. We had accomplished nothing at that point. It was one of the greatest upsets of all-time without a doubt...

Well, as I said, in hindsight it clearly wasn't an upset; the better team won. It's easy to say that now. But if you were paying attention at the time (which I self admittedly wasn't) you could have recognized before the Finals that Detroit was the deeper, more balanced, defensive juggernaut. They posted one of the best defensive ratings in NBA history, and the had the 4th highest SRS in the league (Lakers were 7tth)

Just because the media (ESPN) jams one opinion down everyones throat, doesn't mean it was ever accurate or a substantial truth. You don't have to be a GM or VP of operations to recognize that the '04 Pistons were one of the greatest defensive teams of all-time.

The defensive rating the 03-04 Pistons put up hasn't been matched since. Their offense had incredible balance; it was the exact opposite of what the Lakers had.

That Lakers team was over-rated from the start; typical of the clueless sports media who like to hype up teams just in order to get more viewers on their broadcast or online.The Lakers served as a cash-cow for sports media providers, they were gona make them look good no matter what.

knightstemplar
03-19-2011, 04:13 PM
i dont think so. shaq was fat piece of ****. kobe was going through his trial. gary payton couldnt make shots and was always complaining about lack of opportunities on offense, karl was literally on his last and didnt even play much in the finals... i think he only played 1 game in the finals and slava med(something) had to start in his place. not to mention the lakers didnt have bench... our best player besides kobe and shaq was luke walton (because he actually performed, unlike other laker players). the only two players that really performed were shaq and kobe (check the stats), everyone else just stunk. on the other hand, detroit was maximizing their talents and playing with passion i had never seen. so i wouldnt call it one of the biggest upsets. talent wise you can call it an upset, but when you consider the age of some of our players and the lack of depth, then no, not an upset at all.

:laugh:

king4day
03-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Great post
I had voted yes, but was under the assumption it was biggest finals upset ever. NBA upset? It's not even in the top 10.

AIRMAR72
03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
i was at the series for this one laker offcourse were the favorite but the da pistons have been playing GREAT defense the whole yr and played man to man D on the primeter players and double on shaq when he turn into da paint hack em and send him to line to mis his FT tayshaun shut kobe DOWN by his self and kobe had to chase a younger rip hamilton which wore him out plus kobe was being tobe taking bad shots IF you ASK me and the NBA world know this lastyr lakers and boston was a total rip off.. da lakers shot 23 FT in the last 7-6min were talkin a championship game 7 series ive NEVER seen that before on any level not mention the floppins from fish and pau and artest

fadedmario
03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Well, as I said, in hindsight it clearly wasn't an upset; the better team won. It's easy to say that now. But if you were paying attention at the time (which I self admittedly wasn't) you could have recognized before the Finals that Detroit was the deeper, more balanced, defensive juggernaut. They posted one of the best defensive ratings in NBA history, and the had the 4th highest SRS in the league (Lakers were 7tth)

Just because the media (ESPN) jams one opinion down everyones throat, doesn't mean it was ever accurate or a substantial truth. You don't have to be a GM or VP of operations to recognize that the '04 Pistons were one of the greatest defensive teams of all-time.

The defensive rating the 03-04 Pistons put up hasn't been matched since. Their offense had incredible balance; it was the exact opposite of what the Lakers had.

That Lakers team was over-rated from the start; typical of the clueless sports media who like to hype up teams just in order to get more viewers on their broadcast or online.The Lakers served as a cash-cow for sports media providers, they were gona make them look good no matter what.

Most Detroit fans felt and knew everything you are saying (including myself) but the Lakers were still a really good team and the "Champs". You might have known we were deep also but the majority of the country didn't. Detroit fans at the time would get pissed because NO one gave us any respect. We barely got by the Pacers on Prince's "block heard round the world". We were just firing on all cylinders when we meant up with the Lakers. It was a huge upset because we didn't just beat them - we destroyed them...

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Not smoking crack at all. They had the second best record in the league, and BEAT the team with the best record to get into the finals. When you send the best team in the league packing in the conference finals, and then meet up with a team that only has one good rebounder (Shaq), and injured PF, not bench, a wanna-be alpha male that throws up jumpers even when Prince is shutting him down and a over-the-hill PG playing against a healthy team that just sent the team with the best record to the golf course, then no, its not a 'upset'.

Casual fans and guys who didnt pay attention just assumed that the names on the Lakers teams would win alone, but guys who were watching games all year, they knew that finals wouldnt even be a competition.

Bruno
03-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Most Detroit fans felt and knew everything you are saying (including myself) but the Lakers were still a really good team and the "Champs". You might have known we were deep also but the majority of the country didn't. Detroit fans at the time would get pissed because NO one gave us any respect. We barely got by the Pacers on Prince's "block heard round the world". We were just firing on all cylinders when we meant up with the Lakers. It was a huge upset because we didn't just beat them - we destroyed them...

Well, I agree that it was stupid that nobody respected Detroit.

But the Lakers weren't the champs, SA were the reigning champs going into the 2003-2004 season. That Pacers team you mentioned was really good too. I get what you're saying; it was a lopsided finals. Boring and very depressing as a Lakers fan, but again; shocking they got past the Spurs in the first place.

Brining in Malone and Payton was a mistake.

UKblazers
03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
No that piston team was simply better

Sync
03-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes.