PDA

View Full Version : The NBA: Where Complaining Happens

RowanJournalist
03-17-2011, 03:22 AM
It may seem a bit contradictory that I'm posting a complaint thread regarding the topic of complaining, but this is an issue that is getting a little ridiculous. The overall talent in the NBA is slowly rising, but the new generation's maturity is nose-diving. Earlier tonight / yesterday, I was watching the 76ers @ Clippers and couldn't help but be pissed off at Blake Griffin and the way he carries himself. He fouled out of the game in the final minutes, but all 6 of his fouls were followed by him staring down an official with a pathetically cocky, disapproving look on his face. A few minutes before Doug Collins was ejected in the second quarter, Griffin was fouled by Jodie Meeks on a fast-break layup, and Tony Battie tried grabbing Griffin to keep him from falling. Blake bursted off the ground and immaturely went at Battie (who received a flagrant nonfoul...) Even my favorite team complains after calls. This isn't something I'm taking away from simply one game, but from the last few seasons. Something should be done about this because it's bad for the league.

Here's a video of the Griffin/Battie exchange:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyXBm8OPXk

toovey107
03-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, and Dwight Howard say hello.

RowanJournalist
03-17-2011, 03:45 AM
I personally don't have a problem when the coaches complain, but the players have no place acting like preteen chicks.

Leftcoast_yg
03-17-2011, 03:48 AM
it looks like meeks is the one that ticked him off and thought it was battie, but i guess when you play for the clippers, a losing team, frustration builds up inside and stuff like this happens especially if your a player who gets hacked a lot

Aapox
03-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Blake Griffin is a pretty cool guy, but even in college, when he plays basketball he reminds me of a teenage girl stuck inside a huge manbeast with the way he acts.

Aside from this incident, I'm not sure, it's hit or miss with different players. There have always been immature people in the game and much worse things have happened (Sprewell, Artest, Arenas to name a few)

Also terrible reffing, but that's to be expected.

ee
03-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Blake just frustrated with allthe hard fouls he gets..... He needs to learn how to keep his cool coz with the way he plays, he's gonna get hit hard for majority of his career.....

Knicks21
03-17-2011, 04:40 AM
The players who are hard to officiate generally get the most Technical fouls, hence Dwight, Amare and when he was playing, Yao Ming complained a lot. Then you get the occasional bad ***, see S-Jax and Sheed.

More-Than-Most
03-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Blake acted like a child... Batte tried to hold him up and Blake tossed out a hall of fame hissy fit. On top of that the refs were ridiculous... After Blake scream and yelled like a child there would be a free through parade for blake from that point on... It got so bad that coach Collins literally snapped and got ejected.

Jewelz0376
03-17-2011, 04:45 AM
I don't blame Griffin at all for being upset..I tore my acl in college, because I had a breakaway and was going up for a dunk and got hit while i was in the air and my knee buckled when I came down...so anytime you get hit going up for a layup/dunk its scary... I understand its the Nba and they don't want to give up an easy 2, but in the heat of the moment when your the one getting hit your first instinct is to go after who ever knocked you down..

As far as complaining though, I agree that it's getting ridiculous...I watch heat games and Wade & Lebron complains every time he goes into the lane...Same when I watch Laker games and Kobe is complaining almost every time he touches the ball... I almost liked it better in the beginning when they were getting Ts with the quickness, because players didn't whine and complain as much...

Afridi786
03-17-2011, 04:50 AM
Maybe I'm a hater but Wade complains about any call that doesn't go his way even if it is blatantly obvious, and Griffin just stares down refs all game, it's really pathetic at times, just play the damn game.

COBY KARL
03-17-2011, 05:07 AM
that was not a flagrant foul at all. not even close.
That flashback to Elton Brand's foul on Griffin was a flagrant. That's when Griffin should've gotten mad.

Also, have you guys noticed that Griffin has been in quite a good amount of incidents as a rookie? Maybe it's b/c he's a big cuz I don't remember any of this stuff happening with guards like Wall, Tyreke, or Rose when they played

kdspurman
03-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I used to really like Wade even had his converse sneakers from some years ago. But now i find him always constantly complaining. it's annoying, he screams when he drives in regardless to try and get the foul called, and when he doesnt get the foul called he doesnt run down instead first has to scream at the officials. Lebron is kind of the same way. Not sure how those guys dont have more technicals... I'm not a heat basher, but it was really bad yesterday. Actually the softest of the 3 in Bosh, he doesnt complain nearly as much. Go figure.

k.smith904
03-17-2011, 08:37 AM
although I completely agree about the absurdity of players thinking they are somehow entitled to getting free throws, part of the problem is the blatant inconsistency of NBA officiating.

Watch any NBA game, doesn't matter the teams. I guarantee there will be at least 5 situations where either a foul is called on an exact situation for a previous non-call, or vice versa. Touch fouls are Stern's excuse to get his cash cow superstars to the free throw line, and the charge/block calls might as well end in a coin toss.

/rant

FadeAwayLikeMJ
03-17-2011, 09:57 AM
i can see being mad at dude who hit him in the face, but Tony was just tryin to hold the kid up so he didnt hit the ground so hard.

you guys have to remember, Blake is still just a kid and ever since he jumped over the hood of that car his ego is hella inflated

DerekRE_3
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
That flashback to Elton Brand's foul on Griffin was a flagrant. That's when Griffin should've gotten mad.

Also, have you guys noticed that Griffin has been in quite a good amount of incidents as a rookie? Maybe it's b/c he's a big cuz I don't remember any of this stuff happening with guards like Wall, Tyreke, or Rose when they played

I dunno about Wall, but Tyreke and Rose are pretty quiet guys.

mttwlsn16
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
if u watched the clippers more than one time in your life youd see he is slammed down HARD every night, and never reacts, this just happened to be the one that finally made him snap.

:facepalm: @ this thread

mttwlsn16
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM

last night, and vs the lakers w scrodum. 2 is a lot?

RCarlson85
03-17-2011, 12:02 PM
This is how it is with probably 99% of stars in the NBA. It's not just Griffin, Wade, Kobe, etc. It's everyone. If you don't agree with me, you need to watch more basketball. Not saying it's right or that I agree with it, but everyone does it.

Avenged
03-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Blake had no idea what Tony's intentions were, he felt the hit, and felt someone grab him so he went after him. No big deal here, especially considering he got hit real hard the last time they played.

Furymaker
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
This is why I like Rose and Reke , everytime they drive in the paint they got git , every single time and they keep their mouth shut , really humble kids . I thought Griffin was like this too , but all that hype got in to him , he is being kinda cocky since all star .

sep11ie
03-17-2011, 12:55 PM
3 things I noticed.(Unbiased opinion)

1. B.G. woulda have slammed his head off the court if not for Battie.
2. B.G. pushed the ref(no call there I don't think).
3. B.G. made sure to put his mouthguard back in before the "fight" happened.

smith&wesson
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
ya leave the complaining to the coaches.

i dont know the new era of talent in the league seems really imature to me. more like boys rather then men. rather then the 80's and early 90's when players were much more tough and hard nosed.

i remember when players only cried if they won a ship, or had a really bad injury... now these guys are crying after losing regular season games ?

players who havent won any thing are being labled as "kings" ???

Howard wants to take on the role of superman ? first of all no player has ever come in to the league and stolen someone elses nickname. that right there tells you somthing about the new generation. every one knows shaq has a truck with super man logo, a huge tattoo of a superman sign on his arm, .. any ways.
if your going to complain about gettins fouled soo much, you should watch some games of the original super man in the nba when he was in his prime. yes he got fouled soo much they called it "hack a shaq"
and he didnt cry or complain half as much as the "new" superman.

griffen jumps over a 3 foot hood of a car in a compition that was fixed and he is glorified for it, then we wonder why he is soo cocky ?

can some one tell blake that he can get a hair cut ? he looks like a chucky doll bobble head. i like the kid but god, your a millionare now man, do something with your apearance. k im drifting off topic.

yes the league is very talented, but these kids are soft.. mentally. they just dont have the mental toughness players had before. id like to see griffen get in shawn kemps face back in the day, or oakly's or barkley, those guys would spear his *** and send him back to the bench.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Melo, Dwight, & CP... Come to mind. Ironically 3 of my faves.

shep33
03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I will say this about Griffin though, next to D12 he's probably gotten fouled the hardest out of all the players in the league. He's a young guy, so he is gonna explode out of frustration

Htownballa1622
03-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't mean to bash bg for reacting. He did get hit in the face but the way he stares down officials or players is annoying. He's a rising star and he knows it. Ppl ride his nuts so hard and he's a great player but far from a finished product. Chuck hayes shut him down a few times this year.problem is...it seems he thinks he's better than he really is by giving that cocky glare.

I hope he goes back to how he was because with espn and blake fans wanting to shove griffin in the publics face, its getting annoying.

sep11ie
03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I will say this about Griffin though, next to D12 he's probably gotten fouled the hardest out of all the players in the league. He's a young guy, so he is gonna explode out of frustration

True, but with his type of game, that's gonna happen. Raise your hand if you love being dunked on...

smith&wesson
03-17-2011, 01:10 PM
3 things I noticed.(Unbiased opinion)

1. B.G. woulda have slammed his head off the court if not for Battie.
2. B.G. pushed the ref(no call there I don't think).
3. B.G. made sure to put his mouthguard back in before the "fight" happened.

lol :clap: good observations

smith&wesson
03-17-2011, 01:14 PM
This is how it is with probably 99% of stars in the NBA. It's not just Griffin, Wade, Kobe, etc. It's everyone. If you don't agree with me, you need to watch more basketball. Not saying it's right or that I agree with it, but everyone does it.

i agree, its not just blake. its the atitude around the league now. specially with most of the younger stars.

blake griffen would have benifited large if was drafted by the spurs and had a chance to play with duncan. the way duncan benifited large by playing with david robinson before he retired.

smith&wesson
03-17-2011, 01:16 PM

explode on someone whos trying to help you not fall as bad ? lol makes no sence. if any thing explode on someone whos trying to hurt your health not save it right ?

Byronicle
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
problem is that the game is too soft. players get touched a tiny bit and either refs make a foul call, or the players complained that they got fouled

llemon
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
And Tim Duncan doesn't think he's commited a foul since he entered the league.

blahblahyoutoo
03-17-2011, 03:09 PM
the stardom is getting to his head.
and he got away with pushing a ref.

props to battie for trying to cushion his fall.

Allstar21
03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I like how staring and not complaining is now a form of complaining

LOOTERX9
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Players have been complaining since the 60's. I don't understand the reason for this thread

Minimal
03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
This is why I don't like him and prolly won't like him ever

smiddy012
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Rose never used to complain to refs..

Once he started showing a little emotion towards the refs (and the world for that matter), he started to get more calls... not to mention he learned how to initiate contact better.

But it was very clear to me that once Rose started standing up more for himself and letting refs know he was displeased, he started getting more calls.

Yeah, there is an "immature" generation, but it says a lot about the refs in this league when a star player like Rose has to speak up to get some calls. Immature players may act immature but there are definitely some refs who can be intimidated. On the other hand a player like Rose, who seldom speaks towards refs, is going to have more influence over a ref (when he complains) moreso than a constant offender.

So yes, you can complain too much as a player in the NBA, but you can also complain too little (not at all).

mike_noodles
03-17-2011, 09:43 PM
In the NBA is that nobody ever commits a foul, nobody ever travels, etc... The players never ever make a mistake or do anything wrong and the refs are always out to get the players.

AddiX
03-17-2011, 09:49 PM
There is just over all too many damn young players in the league now.

And young NBA stars in general are way too babied not only by espn and the media, but by everyone they have ever known. NBA is actually a pretty bad sport until playoffs start.

mttwlsn16
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
True, but with his type of game, that's gonna happen. Raise your hand if you love being dunked on...

:rock:

COBY KARL
03-17-2011, 10:31 PM
last night, and vs the lakers w scrodum. 2 is a lot?

what about when he got pushed by Andre Miller, Eddie House, and Mario Chalmers.

kdspurman
03-18-2011, 08:27 AM
And Tim Duncan doesn't think he's commited a foul since he entered the league.

i'd say 80% of the time he raises his hand acknowledging the foul actually. that shocked look comes out every now and then. but he usually raises his hand or is upset with himself.