PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill's response to Fab Five .. Must Read .

CrasH-X
03-16-2011, 02:29 PM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/

"March 16, 2011, 1:47 pm
Grant Hill’s Response to Jalen Rose
By GRANT HILL
Grant Hill currently plays for the Phoenix Suns.Associated Press Grant Hill currently plays for the Phoenix Suns.

“The Fab Five,” an ESPN film about the Michigan basketball careers of Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson from 1991 to 1993, was broadcast for the first time Sunday night. In the show, Rose, the show’s executive producer, stated that Duke recruited only black players he considered to be “Uncle Toms.” Grant Hill, a player on the Duke team that beat Michigan in the 1992 Final Four, reflected on Rose’s comments.

I am a fan, friend and longtime competitor of the Fab Five. I have competed against Jalen Rose and Chris Webber since the age of 13. At Michigan, the Fab Five represented a cultural phenomenon that impacted the country in a permanent and positive way. The very idea of the Fab Five elicited pride and promise in much the same way the Georgetown teams did in the mid-1980s when I was in high school and idolized them. Their journey from youthful icons to successful men today is a road map for so many young, black men (and women) who saw their journey through the powerful documentary, “The Fab Five.”

It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a ***** and worse, calling all black players at Duke “Uncle Toms” and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me. I should have guessed there was something regrettable in the documentary when I received a Twitter apology from Jalen before its premiere. I am aware Jalen has gone to some length to explain his remarks about my family in numerous interviews, so I believe he has some admiration for them.

In his garbled but sweeping comment that Duke recruits only “black players that were ‘Uncle Toms,’ ” Jalen seems to change the usual meaning of those very vitriolic words into his own meaning, i.e., blacks from two-parent, middle-class families. He leaves us all guessing exactly what he believes today.

I am beyond fortunate to have two parents who are still working well into their 60s. They received great educations and use them every day. My parents taught me a personal ethic I try to live by and pass on to my children.

I come from a strong legacy of black Americans. My namesake, Henry Hill, my father’s father, was a day laborer in Baltimore. He could not read or write until he was taught to do so by my grandmother. His first present to my dad was a set of encyclopedias, which I now have. He wanted his only child, my father, to have a good education, so he made numerous sacrifices to see that he got an education, including attending Yale.

This is part of our great tradition as black Americans. We aspire for the best or better for our children and work hard to make that happen for them. Jalen’s mother is part of our great black tradition and made the same sacrifices for him.

My teammates at Duke — all of them, black and white — were a band of brothers who came together to play at the highest level for the best coach in basketball. I know most of the black players who preceded and followed me at Duke. They all contribute to our tradition of excellence on the court.

It is insulting and ignorant to suggest that men like Johnny Dawkins (coach at Stanford), Tommy Amaker (coach at Harvard), Billy King (general manager of the Nets), Tony Lang (coach of the Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins in Japan), Thomas Hill (small-business owner in Texas), Jeff Capel (former coach at Oklahoma and Virginia Commonwealth), Kenny Blakeney (assistant coach at Harvard), Jay Williams (ESPN analyst), Shane Battier (Memphis Grizzlies) and Chris Duhon (Orlando Magic) ever sold out their race.

To hint that those who grew up in a household with a mother and father are somehow less black than those who did not is beyond ridiculous. All of us are extremely proud of the current Duke team, especially Nolan Smith. He was raised by his mother, plays in memory of his late father and carries himself with the pride and confidence that they instilled in him.

The sacrifice, the effort, the education and the friendships I experienced in my four years are cherished. The many Duke graduates I have met around the world are also my “family,” and they are a special group of people. A good education is a privilege.

Just as Jalen has founded a charter school in Michigan, we are expected to use our education to help others, to improve life for those who need our assistance and to use the excellent education we have received to better the world.

A highlight of my time at Duke was getting to know the great John Hope Franklin, John B. Duke Professor of History and the leading scholar of the last century on the total history of African-Americans in this country. His insights and perspectives contributed significantly to my overall development and helped me understand myself, my forefathers and my place in the world.

Ad ingenium faciendum, toward the building of character, is a phrase I recently heard. To me, it is the essence of an educational experience. Struggling, succeeding, trying again and having fun within a nurturing but competitive environment built character in all of us, including every black graduate of Duke.

My mother always says, “You can live without Chaucer and you can live without calculus, but you cannot make it in the wide, wide world without common sense.” As we get older, we understand the importance of these words. Adulthood is nothing but a series of choices: you can say yes or no, but you cannot avoid saying one or the other. In the end, those who are successful are those who adjust and adapt to the decisions they have made and make the best of them.

I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons.

I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Grant Henry Hill
Phoenix Suns
Duke ‘94"

210Don
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
lmao typical rich dude with great childhood stfu grant hill you had it good stop complaining...
people from the hood obviously gonna want what you have and jalen was right.

UKblazers
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Damn I agree with a lot of that.

kjoke
03-16-2011, 02:38 PM
lmao typical rich dude with great childhood stfu grant hill you had it good stop complaining...

:facepalm: blame him for where he comes from.

Sly Guy
03-16-2011, 02:39 PM
:facepalm:

210Don
:facepalm: blame him for where he comes from.

hes talking down on jalen like hes a stupid dumb black kid from the hood. **** him

Albrecht Duerer
That was a good read. Good post.

What Ive taken away from this is that Jalen, when he was young, viewed them in terms of being Uncle Toms. But as an adult, he has matured and would not use such a strong provocative term even though he still admits that Duke targets more affluent black kids. The big thing is, he'd stop short of calling them Uncle Toms knowing how offensive it is.

210Don
03-16-2011, 02:40 PM
i stand by my statement.

kjoke
03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
hes talking down on jalen like hes a stupid dumb black kid from the hood. **** him

No he did not. He talked about the ignorant things jalen said about him and of the blacks athletes at Duke./

Flash3
03-16-2011, 02:41 PM

:facepalm:

Bucs4eva
03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
DOOK SUCKS!!!!! Go Jalen!

ManRam
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I think Jalen and Co. made it clear that what they said were the perceptions at the time, and that now they realize that the feelings they harbored about Duke are not the truth of the matter. I didn't read the whole thing, I will later because I love Grant and it was very well written, but I think he is missing the point.

The whole "Uncle Tom" quote was a response to what they thought of Duke at the time, and all of them made it clear that they realize now, and realized even shortly afterwards that that is just not the case. Jalen pointed out yesterday that Shane Battier went to the same high school that Chris Webber went to.

Oh well. We all like to over react about people's feelings. I understand why Grant is upset, no one likes to listen to bad things said about you or your alma mater for almost an hour and half...but still...I don't think he should be this upset.

After watching that documentary, I don't think there is any reason for him to be defending himself or Duke.

210Don
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
im assuming yall aint from the hood..

Pierzynski4Prez
03-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I fail to see how Rose can say Duke discriminated against who they recruited when they proceeded to build a contending team just about every year coach K has been there. Did they do something wrong?

Pierzynski4Prez
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM

What does it matter? Were you a recruit trying to get into duke and got denied because you are from the hood? Do you know anyone that wasn't given the time of day at Duke because they are from the hood? If there are people who could say they were spurned by Duke because of their background, they can speak up about the matter but everybody else can only speculate.

hovyboo
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Good kill at the end Grant! He is a smart man... Managed to own Jalen Rose and did it in a classy eloquent manner... Bravo!

:clap:

kjoke
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM

No i am not,Is it is common in the hood to bash people because of their opulent backgrounds and of their attempts to get a better education and better their lives? You can hate the man as much you want because of riches but suggesting they sold out an entire race is just ignorant and stupid when they are simply trying to better their lives.

EricU812
03-16-2011, 02:50 PM

You want Grant Hill to "STFU" because he wrote a very articulate article defending himself after a national news piece came out about him, his family, and his way of life?

Pierzynski4Prez
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
You want Grant Hill to "STFU" because he wrote a very articulate article defending himself after a national news piece came out about him, his family, and his way of life?

But he's not from the hood so his opinion doesn't matter apparently.

jezzyman05
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM

I am :)

ManRam
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM

You're being foolish. Even Rose said that what how he felt when he went to Michigan, and the comment he said during the documentary were misinformed and silly feelings. What he said during the documentary, calling them "Uncle Toms" and "*******" etc. were just what he felt then. He was a stupid 18-20 year old at the time. He says he now knows better. Duke runs a classy program. I hate them as much as anyone else (I really do, ask VRP, mdlr or any other Duke fan here), but Grant has a right to defend his school here...even though I don't think even think that Jalen would even feel he needs to any more.

210Don
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
jus saying i understand why jalen would think that... why would duke want them hood guys?????? i mean name one.....

also jalen had a father that was a athlete and didnt know him typical hood dude, hill had the perfect family if you from the hood youd have some resentment towards that program and there players cuz you know u could never go there.

ravistarr
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Anyone have an online link to watch the documentary? I still haven't seen it and haven't found it anywhere to watch online...

Me and Mr. T
03-16-2011, 03:03 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

Because one isn't enough!

Rentzias
03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.aseaofblue.com/2007/6/7/102426/5876

Rose cited this Brand to a Duke student e-mail link as well:

"From: Taylor, Jennifer
Sent: Friday, April 16, 1999 2:55 PM
To: Brand, Elton
Subject: Leaving Duke

I graduated from Duke last May and just wanted to express my disgust for your decision to leave the Duke program after only two years. As an alum, not only do I hold the school in high regard, but the basketball program as well, especially since both have deservedly garnered such a great deal of respect for their accomplishments.

As part of our basketball program, you represent Duke as a whole. We are first and foremost an academic school, you clearly did not belong at Duke in the first place if this was the extent of your commitment to Duke and a college education in general. You have not only insulted the current students who are putting in four years at a school they love, but also the thousands of alumni who have realized the value of a Duke education and what an honor and privilege it was to be there for four years.

If you do not realize the opportunity you has infront of you to play for Coach K and at the same time attain a Duke diploma, then that is certainly your loss. I just wish that you has spared us the notion that you were continuing in the tradition of being a Duke student-athlete, in emphasizing excellence in both academics and athletics. You will not be considered part of the Duke family, in my mind as well as many others. You have by no means proved yourself worthy of that title.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Taylor

Sent: Sunday, April 25, 1999 8:05 PM
To: Taylor, Jennifer
Subject: Re: Leaving Duke

Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke. People like you can not and will not ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever agin. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yeah, right. Because I don't care about you or your alumni.

Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA"

jtchilln
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM

You're an idiot!

REGular
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
If there are people who could say they were spurned by Duke because of their background, they can speak up about the matter but everybody else can only speculate.

Well that's the joke of the whole thing, he can whine about Duke not accepting him bc of his background but at the end of the day the kids at Duke were simply better than the Fab 5.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
lol Grant Hill said Shane Battier wasn't an uncle Tom... haha. I agree with everything Jalen Rose said.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
lol and yall really dont think the way that letter is written is not uncle tom???

papipapsmanny
03-16-2011, 03:18 PM
anyone getting annoyed how scrutinized words from the early 90s are getting?

kjoke
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
lol and yall really dont think the way that letter is written is not uncle tom???

you are right hill should have written a horrible thought out response with bad spelling and errors all around to convey his point :rolleyes:

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
you are right hill should have written a horrible thought out response with bad spelling and errors all around to convey his point :rolleyes:

well im sorry but in this case its black and white
either hes a uncle tom or not as jalen suggested.
seems jalen is proven right.

drew_ellis_23
03-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Reading your posts make you seem like a stupid black kid from the hood.

AntiG
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM

How is Jalen right? When did being black in this country suddenly mean that you are uneducated and living the ghetto life? :rolleyes:

The Ooh Child
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
It is extremely frustrating when people question your blackness simply because you come from a slightly more priveliged background

The Ooh Child
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Even though Jalen already admitted he was wrong?

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
this is becoming a race issue... so ima stop.
this psd not fox news for you republicans

kjoke
03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
210don lost all credibility today. I guess if you are from the hood you have to act in a stereotypical way that is ghetto, uneducated and hating on rich boys

Me and Mr. T
this is becoming a race issue... so ima stop.
this psd not fox news for you republicans

Of course it's a race issue. That's what the whole story is about. There is just no need for some of your posts. Especially that one where you're calling us all republicans for not agreeing with you. Please stop.

allSUAVE
If he felt offended he wouldn't come out with this statement..I don't think it was all that serious its a documentry And that's how he felt ..no offense ,And it's true if you ask me.

D1JM

You mean educated?

MCSJR2
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
only ignorant people think Grant was talkin down to Jalen....if you came from the hood and you were fortunate to get out then why would you be jealous of anyone that road was a lil easier...especially if you are at the same place now..the point Jalen was making in Fab Five was he saw Grant as an uncle tom because of the perception of Duke basketball and the team as a whole...and because Duke doesn't recruit guys from the hood... he should've used a different word but I knew what he was trying to say..

abe_froman
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM

how so?

and why the **** does it matter to you or anyone what grant hill's background,personality,ect. is like...does it make him any less a ball player?(probably not ,seeing as he is clearly better than anyone on that mich team was)

also ,i do find it funny that this talk of repping the hood,ect. is coming from a spurs fan with a timmy sig... who's alot closer to hill in personality than rose

Yanks All Day
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM

You're right. Grant Hill really seems to come out on the losing edge here. The moral of the story here is that you cannot be African American, well-educated, good at basketball, and make the decision to go to one of the best schools in the world. Shame on Grant Hill for electing to better his life. Totally sold out his black heritage by going to play for Duke and one of the greatest coaches ever.

The 17 year old Jalen Rose comes off as nothing but ignorant, but that's not to say he is ignorant today. However, his refusal to back off those comments do make him seem stubborn, especially by at least not altering the "Uncle Tom" wording. Get over it, Jalen. Sorry you never beat Grant Hill.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
lol k jalen said the comments i agree with him lets leave it at that....

this is America its my opinion.

im sorry i dont fall in line to your cyborg way of thinking im outspoken and say what i want im not programmed.

Fool

Grant Hill was not talking down Jalen Rose for being from 'the hood'.

But Jalen Rose was talking down Grant Hill for NOT being from 'the hood'.

(in GH's opinion)

kjoke
You mean educated?

pretty much, hes saying that if you write in an educated way you are white

Gators123
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM

u iz so gangsta dawg!

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Grant Hill was not talking down Jalen Rose for being from 'the hood'.

But Jalen Rose was talking down Grant Hill for NOT being from 'the hood'.

(in GH's opinion)

basically whats its about people from the hood will be on jalens side people that are not are on hills....

papipapsmanny
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Love the Elton Brand thing

Also you kidding yourselves if you do not believe Duke is extremely elitist, and that has nothing to do with race.

VRP723
03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Throwing the word "Uncle Tom" around just shows how ignorant you are. Is Grant Hill subservient to whites? Because that's what an Uncle Tom is. An educated black man is not an Uncle Tom, and if you believe that's the only qualification for being labeled as such, you're furthering the ignorance. Get a grip kid.

Fool
03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
basically whats its about people from the hood will be on jalens side people that are not are on hills....

How so? I think it's a common sense thing. Grant was insulted because Jalen was talking down on his family (at the time he was a freshman) for having a stable family situation.

papipapsmanny
03-16-2011, 03:36 PM
It is extremely frustrating when people question your blackness simply because you come from a slightly more priveliged background

its extremely frustrating that blackness can even be something that is questioned or that matter.

What should be questioned is the integrity of a person, not their race.

Atticus Finch
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM

im sorry i dont fall in line to your cyborg way of thinking im outspoken and say what i want im not programmed.

Come on man, give yourself more than 3 minutes before you contradict yourself.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
How so? I think it's a common sense thing. Grant was insulted because Jalen was talking down on his family (at the time he was a freshman) for having a stable family situation.

why are yall saying jalen said these things back then wasnt this recorded recently those comments were made recently by jalen... so he obviously still feels them... and he might have retracted his statement but i bet he still thinks that, he just didnt want the backlash that im gettin but on a larger scale

Fool
03-16-2011, 03:38 PM
its extremely frustrating that blackness can even be something that is questioned or that matter.

What should be questioned is the integrity of a person, not their race.

:clap: :up:

miller74
03-16-2011, 03:38 PM

I guess you skipped by the article and posted garbage instead, nice

D1JM
03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Love the Elton Brand thing

Also you kidding yourselves if you do not believe Duke is extremely elitist, and that has nothing to do with race.

The whole brand thing is unacceptable though. It does show a different side to duke

Fool
why are yall saying jalen said these things back then wasnt this recorded recently those comments were made recently by jalen... so he obviously still feels them... and he might have retracted his statement but i bet he still thinks that, he just didnt want the backlash that im gettin but on a larger scale

Did you see the documentary?

Jalen Rose clearly states that these were his feelings when he was a FRESHMAN at Michigan. He also states that the reason these feelings came about were because he was JEALOUS of Grant Hill's family situation. The adult Jalen Rose admitted that he had immature feelings as a kid and also recognized, as an adult, that they were not justified in truth! I'm glad Mr. Hill is defending himself and his teammates, but Mr. Rose made it clear that he doesn't believe the same things that he thought as an 18-year-old kid now that he is a grown man who has a lifetime of new experiences. -- From the article's comments. I didn't see it but this makes it pretty clear, and from what I've been hearing, it's the truth.

Trace

You're a moron. Your opinion is so ignorant it's not even funny.

So if you are from a poor neighbourhood, you're doomed to be poor, uneducated and the only way you're able to get out of this situation is through hip-hop or sports?

While some adolescents have an easier time managing their future as a result of affluence or parental guidance, it doesn't mean you have to give up and live your life selling crack.

In addition, just because Grant Hill used the English language properly it does not mean he's subservient to Caucasians in anyway shape or form. If this was the case, why vote for Obama at all! Vote for his slave master McCain!
Ghetto mentality never ceases to amaze me.

Fool
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
The whole brand thing is unacceptable though. It does show a different side to duke

No, I disagree. It shows one person's opinion that shouldn't reflect upon the university.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
yall still dont get...
people from the hood most likely will stay on the hood wtf do yall think is going on in this world????????????? are yall completely ignorant to the problems in this world????
if you aint tall and cant play sports or rap and you from the hood your ****ed.... its the truth. the chances of you getting out are slim to none.if you from the hood of course you gonna be jealous of some dude thats ur same color that has everything that you dont...

REGular
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM

The problem is that you view an educated black man as a negative thing, which is kind of Grant Hill's point.

There's nothing "bad" about a black man with eloquent language and a strong college education.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
The problem is that you view an educated black man as a negative thing, which is kind of Grant Hill's point.

There's nothing "bad" about a black man with eloquent language and a strong college education.

no sir i dont, its the world it sucks that black people and minorities need to act like that to become something in this world... why do you think everyone hates rappers and the fab five??? because they are being who they are and actually being successful the world doesnt want that..

Fool
03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
yall still dont get...
people from the hood most likely will stay on the hood wtf do yall think is going on in this world????????????? are yall completely ignorant to the problems in this world????
if you aint tall and cant play sports or rap and you from the hood your ****ed.... its the truth. the chances of you getting out are slim to none.if you from the hood of course you gonna be jealous of some dude thats ur same color that has everything that you dont...

Yes, you can be jealous. It's going to be natural to be jealous of a more fortunate situation. But you can't go around insulting people like that, telling them that they're somehow...less black than another person because they come from an affluent family. That it's less black to be like Grant Hill than Jalen Rose.

Hustlenomics
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
yall still dont get...

you need to lose that mentality fam :(

jr_3421
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Not really a big a fan of this statement by Hill. Essentially this a 38 year old man defending himself against a 20 year old kid. Not that heroic.

People need to realize that Jalen admitted that these were irrational thoughts he had at a young age. He was jealous about someone else's fortune and used it as motivation. People need to chill out.

210Don
Yes, you can be jealous. It's going to be natural to be jealous of a more fortunate situation. But you can't go around insulting people like that, telling them that they're somehow...less black than another person because they come from an affluent family. That it's less black to be like Grant Hill than Jalen Rose.

well, theres the problem those same people telling us what we can and cannot say are the rich folks, it shouldnt be like that why are they getting offended when they have everything they want??? i mean let us have something at least you go back to your mansion were stuck here.
like jalen said his mom busted her *** for 20 years, your mother was bunking with hillary clinton, i think he can say what he wants. but its still not socially acceptable.

sjbirds
that is what jalen thought as a freshman but what he stated was an absolute fact.... duke does not recruit in the inner city... the only two people they ever recruited from detrot went to private schools... duke goes after certain people and jalen is not one of them... thats a fact... you think they went after stackhouse or sheed?? nooooo

Gibby23

"For me, Duke was personal. I hated Duke and I hated everything I felt Duke stood for. Schools like Duke didn’t recruit players like me. I felt like they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms."

"I was jealous of Grant Hill. He came from a great black family, congratulations. Your mom went to college and was roommates with Hilary Clinton. Your dad played in the NFL, is a very well-spoken and successful man. I was upset and bitter that my mom had to bust her hump for 20-plus years. I was bitter that I had a professional athlete that was my father that I didn’t know."

You might be too hood to understand, but if you listen to or read (if you can read, being hood and all), you can see the words was, hated, felt, and didn't, those are all past tense.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
you need to lose that mentality fam :(

maybe so.... but like pac said
"i gotta work with what you gave me, claiming im the criminal when you the one that made it" - 2pac

Mr Grim
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
yall still dont get...

And with that way of thinking, thats exactly why you'll amount to being a zilch on a forum making zero sense.

According to your wonderful declaration above, if you're from the hood the only thing you could possibly do with your life is play basketball or rap? Are you seriously that one dimensional that you have no other skills? Dont blame the hood or your parents, blame yourself for having zero drive to make yourself a better person.

Grant Hill rules.

Me and Mr. T
03-16-2011, 03:53 PM
yall still dont get...

If you have this mentality then yeah of course you're going to stay in the hood. You can get an education and leave the hood. You don't HAVE to play a sport or rap. THAT is the problem with this world. It's the mentality that the world is over and there's no hope. There is hope if you actually want to work for it.

BALLER71
03-16-2011, 03:53 PM
yall still dont get...

No it really isn't. Call me naive, but everyone could get an education and make their own decisions. People just aren't tough minded nowadays and allow others around them to influence them. Anyone from the "hood" can get an education and do something with their lives.
I think it's okay for Jalen to completely admit that he was envious of Hill's life and upbringing, however the Uncle Tom statement was unnecessary.

Trace
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
yall still dont get...

That's because of their stupid and lazy attitude. If they went to school, their chances of getting out of the hood would go up by a googolplex.

My old high school was located in this poorly planned neighbourhood. Up the street of the high school house a neighbourhood that had households earning over a million dollars a year and right down the street across the bridge housed a community housing project that was known for the usual ghetto drama. Despite the disparaging differences in affluence, these kids had to go to the same school and were all given the same tools for their education. While most of the kids from the ghetto aspired to chase their pipe dreams and resent their richer peers, some buckled down and strived to better their current living situation. Some of these kids even scored higher on their tests and went on to better universities than even the rich kids whose parents had hired fancy tutors to help "further" their education.

This just goes to show you that its not the environment that fosters despondency. It's the mentality.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
No it really isn't. Call me naive, but everyone could get an education and make their own decisions. People just aren't tough minded nowadays and allow others around them to influence them. Anyone from the "hood" can get an education and do something with their lives.
I think it's okay for Jalen to completely admit that he was envious of Hill's life and upbringing, however the Uncle Tom statement was unnecessary.

i think your naive. im sorry but what i said is the truth some people just cant handle it or accept it, yes we can make it out but like i said we have to talk white and act in a manner that we are not, dont you think something is wrong with that??? why cant we just be our self and be accepted, because its a white manz world like pac said once again.

Gibby23
03-16-2011, 03:57 PM
i think your naive. im sorry but what i said is the truth some people just cant handle it or accept it, yes we can make it out but like i said we have to talk white and act in a manner that we are not, dont you think something is wrong with that??? why cant we just be our self and be accepted, because its a white manz world like pac said once again.

You don't have to talk white, you just have to talk right.

VRP723
03-16-2011, 03:57 PM
maybe so.... but like pac said
"i gotta work with what you gave me, claiming im the criminal when you the one that made it" - 2pac

Funny that you quote Pac. Because he also said

"They shine upon the strength of an nation
Conquer the enemy on with education"

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
That's because of their stupid and lazy attitude. If they went to school, their chances of getting out of the hood would go up by a googolplex.

My old high school was located in a poorly planned neighbourhood. Up the street of the high school house a neighbourhood that had households earning over a million dollars a year and right down the street across the bridge housed a community housing project that was known for the usual ghetto drama. Despite the disparaging differences in affluence, these kids were all given the same tools to learn and succeed. While most of the kids from the ghetto aspired to chase their pipe dreams, some buckled down and strived to better their current living situation. Some of these kids even scored higher on their tests and went on to better universities than even the rich kids whose parents had hired fancy tutors to help "further" their education.

This just goes to show you that its not the environment that fosters despondency. It's the mentality.

very true the tools are there to succeed, but what you discount is a broken home there could be no mother or father that can affect you, poor how will you get clothes or school supplies? i mean there are many factors that hinder a inner city kid that wealthier kids dont have to deal with that make it tougher.

TO to the CHI
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
well, theres the problem those same people telling us what we can and cannot say are the rich folks, it shouldnt be like that why are they getting offended when they have everything they want??? i mean let us have something at least you go back to your mansion were stuck here.
like jalen said his mom busted her *** for 20 years, your mother was bunking with hillary clinton, i think he can say what he wants. but its still not socially acceptable.

Other people have made similar points, so I will just delete it and leave well enough alone.

210don, I wish you nothing but the best. However, I hope that you take time to reflect on your viewpoints continually and as your grow older.

210Don
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Funny that you quote Pac. Because he also said

"They shine upon the strength of an nation
Conquer the enemy on with education"

pac was a smart man.. he saw both sides of our arguments thats why he was great.

papipapsmanny
03-16-2011, 04:00 PM

What distorted view of reality do you have?

Im white, my mom was pregnant with me, working for the gov. and finishing graduate school at the same time, and my father started a produce business from scratch. Ill say im better off then a lot and worse off then a lot, the point is my parents didn't moan about being stuck in their state of life (living in apt. with roaches everywhere and 2 kids, with another on the way. They did something about it, and I have gotten more opportunities than my bro or sis.

Even with that I still have to take out college loans to go to college, and my parents will probably have to work until they are 70, it is what it is.

And you know what, I can admit that those problems are nothing compared to a lot of people in this world.

You put those things in perspective and work to keep improving, not sobbing about being stuck in the livelihood your currently living in.

210Don
03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
You are sitting here in this thread, arguing about something of which you will never be convinced nor convince anyone else. Your initial point was that Grant Hill should stfu, as if his viewpoint was somehow not valid. You have then proceeded to suggest that people in the "hood" are somehow unable to succeed unless they rap or play sports.

I am not from the hood. I am also well aware of the fact that people with economic advantages have things easier in many ways. However, ranting about it and taking a mentality that basically suggests that giving up and being jealous is the way to go will merely perpetuate that problem. Why not try to work as hard as possible to make something of yourself. Get yourself out of the hood and then your children will start out of the hood with some of the advantages that you didn't have. It seems that you would rather sit here to have this argument and take a posture that it is hopeless to work hard, rather than just working hard (note, I don't know you, if you are doing everything possible to better yourself, please feel free to disregard).

I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting that there aren't economic advantages for some and hardships for others. Rather, people are saying that it doesn't make sense to insult others because they are educated.

i stand by my statements accept them or not idgf.

REGular
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
i think your naive. im sorry but what i said is the truth some people just cant handle it or accept it, yes we can make it out but like i said we have to talk white and act in a manner that we are not

So is Grant Hill talking like a white man or talking like an educated black man?

210Don
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
What distorted view of reality do you have?

Im white, my mom was pregnant with me, working for the gov. and finishing graduate school at the same time, and my father started a produce business from scratch. Ill say im better off then a lot and worse off then a lot, the point is my parents didn't moan about being stuck in their state of life (living in apt. with roaches everywhere and 2 kids, with another on the way. They did something about it, and I have gotten more opportunities than my bro or sis.

Even with that I still have to take out college loans to go to college, and my parents will probably have to work until they are 70, it is what it is.

And you know what, I can admit that those problems are nothing compared to a lot of people in this world.

You put those things in perspective and work to keep improving, not sobbing about being stuck in the livelihood your currently living in.

no ones moaning bro im doing good but i come from the hood and i know what its like... its not easy i have a drive that other kids dont have or even think about having because they have way bigger problems that i do.

NYtilIdie
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Im sorry Grant Hill was born into a solid family situation, it was obvious he had a choice.

Like Dre said in ATL "You can have the piss in the hallway, i'll take the Picasso".

Jalen stated yesterday on 1st & 10 that he was ignorant at the time and didn't realize what kind of program Duke ran. He said the reason Duke recruited high class students is because they wanted to be represented properly and not have to worry about students getting into fights off campus.

ManRam
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
This has totally diverted from the topic at hand, and has nothing to do with the NBA. It's also walking a really tight line with some racism as well. A few comments here have been a bit disconcerting. If you want to talk about the documentary, feel free to talk about it at the following link, but all this talk has nothing to do with the NBA, and emotions are getting way to high. There are being some good points made, but again, people are close to getting in trouble.

Jalen said what he felt AT THE TIME. He's made it clear he doesn't feel that way any more, and was foolish and naive to ever think so. I think people need to understand that and move on. We're trying to make this a racial matter when it shouldn't be.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599212