PDA

View Full Version : NBA Redraft Playoffs: 1) San Francisco Hippies v. 5) Tucson Tortillas

Mile High Champ
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than letís say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

1) San Francisco v. 5) Tucson

San Francisco has Home Court Advantage

San Francisco Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16604276&postcount=18)
Tuscon Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16601066&postcount=3)

San Francisco Depth Chart
PG: Devin Harris / Jarrett Jack / Jeff Teague
SG: Arron Afflalo / Gary Neal
SF: Andre Iguodala / Austin Daye
PF: Pau Gasol / Shelden Williams
C: DeJuan Blair / Nenad Krstic / Kosta Koufos
Inactive: Juwan Howard

Tucson Depth Chart
PG: Kirk Hinrich/Earl Watson
SG: Joe Johnson/Marco Belinelli/Xavier Henry
SF: Boris Diaw/Quentin Richardson/Rasual Butler
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Vladimir Radmonovic
C: Ben Wallace/Joel Pryzbilla/Etan Thomas

San Francisco Write UP

First of all we'd like to congratulate Tucson for advancing to the next round and participating in the 2nd round matchup against our team.

Tucson's team is expected to have Hinrich-Aoe Johnson-Boris Diaw-Nowitzki-Ben Wallace as their starting lineup.

PG matchup: Harris Vs Hinrich. Devin Harris is the better scorer, better distributor and faster player. Hinrich is a better defensive player and a very good shooter but Harris could prove too fast for him.

SG matchup: Afflalo Vs Johnson. Johnson is of course the better overall player but his role is much different for Tucson than what Afflalo is for San Francisco. Johnson will need to bring his A game as he's the only clear offensive advantage Tucson has over San Francisco. And Afflalo's defensive game is exceptional and Joe Johnson will have a tough series.

SF matchup: Iguodala Vs Diaw. Both are quite versatile, but Iguodala is having his best season so far and he's looking like Lebron James out there, barring scoring, which is still at a high level. Diaw will not have a pleasant series whenever Iguodala is on him.

PF matchup: Pau Gasol Vs Dirk Nowitzki. This is by far the best player matchup in the series. Probably the best two power forwards in the game right now. Pau Gasol is a better allround player while Dirk is easily a better scorer but he also needs his team to work with him.

C matchup: Blair Vs Ben Wallace. Ben Wallace used to be a defensive tower. Now he's just a tower. Blair is undersized at center position but he's a great complement next to Pau Gasol. He's a very energetic player and Ben Wallace offense does not worry us at all so it's more up to Wallace being able to keep up with Blair in the paint than anything else.

Bench:
Clearly San Francisco's bench is more complete. There is no bench player at Tucson we'd take over any of our guys. We have two definite starting material players in Jack and Krstic while there's also Shelden Williams who is a great rebounder given the minutes he gets and we also have three very good shooters in Austin Daye, Gary Neal and Jeff Teague. Juwan Howard is a very experienced player whose presence will help our younger guys in this playoff run.

It's clear that Tucson's best chance is to have Joe Johnson, Dirk Nowitzki and to some extent Kirk Hinrich with open shots in the whole series. This is not going to happen as San Francisco's roster can adjust to any defensive plan. Tucson's offensive game though is limited. They cannot operate a pick and roll with Hinrich as the facilitator, Dirk and Wallace setting the picks. They cannot run the isolation as San Francisco has better athleticism and their best hope is spot ups.

This can be stopped with both zone and man-to-man defense. The defensive duo of Afflalo & Iguodala will give hard time to the perimeter players of Tucson and Pau will stick onto Dirk like glue causing him as much trouble as possible.

As for our offensive game plan, it can change depending on which players are in. We can use many different lineups since many of our players are versatile.

Tucson will try to keep things slow since they lack athleticism and speed compared to San Francisco so it's up to our fast guys to make it too easy. In a fast paced game Tucson stands no chance. In a half court game, it's still a task to score against San Francisco, even with two great scorers in Dirk and Joe Johnson.

Tucson Write Up

Front Court

The center matchup is between Ben Wallace for the Tortillas and DeJuan Blair for the Hippies. Wallace has been known for his defense throughout his career. He has been the Defensive Player of the Year numerous times. Blair is on the rise. He has defense and his offensive game is improving as well. Both are undersized for the center position, which is why we feel Wallace can shut Blair down in this matchup. Blair won't be scoring much in this matchup against Wallace.

The best matchup of the series comes at the power forward matchup. Superstars Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol go head to head. Both have unique skills about them that make them great. Dirk is the versatile big man that can shoot 3's as well as shoot in the post. Pau has the capability of shooting hook shots with both hands and the mid range jumper. The reason I give Dirk the upper hand in this matchup is the fact that Pau is going to have to defend Dirk all over the floor. Pau is bound to get into foul trouble trying to defend Dirk's array of shots. The key factor also comes down to; who do you want taking the final shot with the game on the line? Dirk is the obvious choice.

At small forward, the Tortillas have Boris Diaw and the Hippies have Andre Iguodala. This is pretty much a wash. Both are versatile big men that can play numerous positions. Diaw will be able to stay in front of Iggy throughout the series.

Back Court

The shooting guard position is held down by Joe Johnson and Arron Afflalo. Johnson has the upper hand in this matchup being the superstar player that he is. Afflalo brings defense and the ability to hit the open 3 point shot, but Johnson has the height advantage in this matchup as well. Afflalo will have a difficult time trying to defend Johnson's shots.

At point guard, it is Kirk Hinrich vs. Devin Harris. Anyone that watches basketball can clearly see that Harris isn't the same since his injuries. A few nights ago, Derrick Rose torched Harris in their matchup. Harris plays no defense and relies on his speed to get points. Hinrich has been known for his defense throughout his career. He usually defends the opponents best player and I see no reason why Hinrich can't stop Harris here either. Hinrich will cause Harris to shoot bad shots and create turnovers.

Bench

The bench is pretty much the same for both squads. The Tortillas have more veterans on their bench to compliment their starters and the Hippies have a mix of young guys and veterans. Both compliment their starters nicely.

In the end, the Hippies may have the more balanced lineup, but the Tortillas have the star power in Dirk Nowitzki and Joe Johnson. I want you to answer this question; when the game is on the line, who will take the final shot for the Hippies? I don't see a clear cut player that would be able to make that shot. Some may argue that it is Pau, others would say Iggy would take the shot, but neither are proven closers. Dirk and JJ both have the ability to create their own shot and win games late for their teams. That is the X factor in this series. It'll be a hard fought, six or seven game series, with the Tortillas advancing to the next round.

Mile High Champ
03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Cast those votes.

John Walls Era
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Tuscon. They beat my team (probably would've voted against myself if I was allowed), but the team is pretty nicely built. D is a factor, but not huge one in this series.

PhillyLuver
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Tucson presents a very good foil to San Fran. I am leaning towards Tucson, but I am going to wait a little bit to think it over

GREATNESS ONE
03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Taking Frisco here in game 7

PhillyLuver
03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
As much as I irrationally dislike Iguodala, him over Diaw is going to get this one for San Fran.

nyanks79
03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
How is Iggy and Diaw a wash? Iggy is better at everything except shooting 3s.

PhillyLuver
03-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Diaw is better at being named Boris and being French

phlp_bj
03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
how is iggy even mentioned in the same breath as lebron?

harris is not the better passer in my opinion.

i wouldn't call afflalo's defense "exceptional" going up against an all star sg

NYKalltheway
03-16-2011, 12:19 AM
how is iggy even mentioned in the same breath as lebron?

How is Iggy and Diaw a wash? Iguodala is a beast this season. You probably are confusing him with someone else.

I really wanna see how a team with 3 spot up players(2 great ones I might add), one glue guy and 1 standing cucumber can have an actual offensive play against a very solid defensive unit btw.

I also fail to see how the benches are similar except the fact that two of our guys are rookie & sophomore (still average 16 points per game between them off the bench) which still means nothing as they actually perform really well.

Super.
03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I like San Fran here

astrosmaniac
03-16-2011, 12:29 AM
yea calling diaw and iggy a wash is about as homer as you can get. then again, it is phlp, so what can you expect. san fran for me, but its close

NYKalltheway
03-16-2011, 12:45 AM
How is Iggy and Diaw a wash? Iggy is better at everything except shooting 3s.

Even on that department:

Iguodala: 35.1% 54/154
Diaw: 34.2% 64/187

:cool:

douglas
03-16-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm going to go with my home dawgz in San Fran! They have a bit more depth

Mile High Champ
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Get more votes in!

Mile High Champ
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Thought this would be much closer.

nyanks79
03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Thought this would be much closer.

I actually think we match up really well with them. Having Pau who cancels out Dirk, if not the edge to Pau. Wallace wont hurt the lack of height with Blair. And we have to top defenders to guard JJ. Plus Iggy is having a better year then JJ.

ABOMB_56
03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
SF wins for me here. This is the one team that their C position isn't exposed because Blair and Wallace are around the same height.

LA_Raiders
03-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Tortillas Rule!!!

Tblaze
03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Tortillas Rule!!!

:clap::clap::clap: