PDA

View Full Version : How should a star leave his team?

hotpotato1092
03-15-2011, 08:38 PM
It seems as though every time a star wants out, he gets bashed for how he acted in the time between when he first wanted to go and when he got his wish. We see this time and time again, most notably with the recent departures of Carmelo and LeBron. My question is how SHOULD a star who wants out leave his team? Personally, I think if a star knows he wants out he should just go to the front office and say "look, I know that I'm leaving at the end of my contract, do with that information what you will, I'll play my *** off for the duration of my deal but I'm gonna leave afterwards, if you want to trade me fine, if you want to keep me fine, but just know that I won't be staying at the end of this deal, and I don't want this to become public". There's no easy way for a star to leave, but I think that'd be the best way.

ko8e24
03-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Press Conference

"I have decided that it's a new chapter in my career, and I have decided that chapter will be with the ------. In all these yrs, I have truly appreciated my time here and I gave my all to the fans, and even though I'm not part of this organization any longer, the fans and the people involved in the front office hold a special place in my hearts forever. I hoped that I played the game of basketball the right way in the time I wore xxxx jersey, and I hope to continue to do so with the new organization that I will be joining."

I think if Melo or LeBron did something classy like that, that would have been great!

jrm2054
03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
have a 2 hour special on espn

NYKalltheway
03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Haters will hate anyway...

ManRam
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't know.

I don't think LeBron knew what he wanted. It sucks Cleveland basically got nothing for him...but again, he didn't know he was going to leave (I feel) until after the playoffs were over.

It's great for Denver that Melo was blunt, but I don't like that he made it so public.

Obviously LeBron shouldn't have had the special. Obviously, no one will ever be doing that again. So future stars can thank him for getting that out of the way. I don't think his intentions were malicious, but that's how it was perceived by everyone...and it's obvious why.

Simple press conferences. Even Wade and Bosh went onto Sportscenter to announce it. That's fine too I guess.

I don't know. There isn't one way. We'll find a way to hate it if we want to. We'll be fine with it if we don't want to. It's the nature of the beast.

Seguin
03-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Only good way: Retire after winning the championship

topdog
03-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Approach management in private, let them know your intentions and if you have thoughts of where you'd like to play, play the game you get so many oodles of money to play.

Everyone involved should keep it private - players, FOs, ect.

Car Ramrod
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Like when Roy Halladay left Toronto or Clyde Drexler left Portland. Quietly and not through the media along with plenty of notice so they could get the maximum return.

There is something to be said for class and its not a TV special and has even less to do with Vince Carter. Its spineless to play it out through the media.

It was painful to watch all the trade rumours this year. At least to Carmello's credit he played hard all the way through.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
exactly how Dorthy left Oz

There is no right way. It sucks for the franchise. Period. Hopefully, they communicate it quietly with the front office, so they can start making calls without the media feeding on it, and get some talent back

OnslaughtXX6
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
He should leave however he wants.

sf-fanatic
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Just like Amare did.

Chitownhero14
03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Thats just it, the question should never be asked! Stars should not leave their team, its their team! If they're frustrated dont push to leave, push the damn owner/GM to make a move to surround you with talent.

Did Jordan ever leave in the late 90's? No, he waited and the gm gave him talent to put around him. Did Kobe leave? No he waited...

LeBron should've waited...(And dont pull the "THe GM tried to give him talent and bring in players" card) Cleveland could've had Amare and blew it, they had their hands in the cookie jar for a number of stars but LeBron just cant put it all together when the time comes.

Amare should've stayed in PHX he had the tools , (I just think PHX couldn't afford him).

Denver never should've given in. And Carmelo never should've wanted out, he was on a good team, why leave?

j-mart
03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
It should be done the exact opposite of how LeBron handled it. It should be done with dignity and respect on both sides.

Whomewhome
03-16-2011, 08:41 AM
There is no good way of doing it. Having said that a player can give his intentions to a team or can signal a team that he won't resign with them like Deron Williams did

TheDiggler
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
REAL Stars, should never leave their team.

HiphopRelated
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
fulfill your contract. After that, everything's fair game

and people saying "tell the FO and keep it quiet", don't be ridiculous, once the FA makes that 1st phone call it will be leaked all over ESPN.

TopsyTurvy
03-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Did Jordan ever leave in the late 90's? No, he waited and the gm gave him talent to put around him.

The only thing the GM gave Jordan was an early path to retirement...

thenaj17
03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Thats just it, the question should never be asked! Stars should not leave their team, its their team! If they're frustrated dont push to leave, push the damn owner/GM to make a move to surround you with talent.

Why is it their team? They didn't choose to get drafted by whoever, they just have to move thousands of miles from their families in some cases. They are people who can get homesick/sick of the bad weather etc. LeBron did ask to make the team better and Cleveland did try for 3 years straight but it didn't work out when they bottled it with Amare

Did Jordan ever leave in the late 90's? No, he waited and the gm gave him talent to put around him. Did Kobe leave? No he waited...

'm assuming you meant late 80's before he win the rings. Had nothing sufficient been done by the time they were free agents, they would both have left

LeBron should've waited...(And dont pull the "THe GM tried to give him talent and bring in players" card) Cleveland could've had Amare and blew it, they had their hands in the cookie jar for a number of stars but LeBron just cant put it all together when the time comes. Why should players like LeBron stay when Cleveland refused to give up a young player for an allstar to give LeBron more help?

Amare should've stayed in PHX he had the tools , (I just think PHX couldn't afford him). What tools? An aging Nash and J Rich? Other than that, it was an average team

Denver never should've given in. And Carmelo never should've wanted out, he was on a good team, why leave? Good team but not championship calibre. Melo didn't come out stating he was going to leave, he was pressed and pressed about it but never said he wasn't going to sign extension for sure. Denver was the 1 shopping him. Why can teams do what they want trading players whereever they want without that player's agreement if players can't control their own destiny when their contract is up?

Rentzias
03-16-2011, 09:28 AM
It's great for Denver that Melo was blunt, but I don't like that he made it so public.

This. I'm not sure either how KG "left" Minny, but that was another good way to do it.

sunnydayin'zona
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Press Conference

"I have decided that it's a new chapter in my career, and I have decided that chapter will be with the ------. In all these yrs, I have truly appreciated my time here and I gave my all to the fans, and even though I'm not part of this organization any longer, the fans and the people involved in the front office hold a special place in my hearts forever. I hoped that I played the game of basketball the right way in the time I wore xxxx jersey, and I hope to continue to do so with the new organization that I will be joining."

I think if Melo or LeBron did something classy like that, that would have been great!

Yeah, amare is not hated here. i think he did it right. Our owner is hated here though. nobody blames amare for leaving. but thats also probably because he would have stayed had phoenix offered him the full 5 year guaranteed max contract.

Just like Amare did.

mhmm. we were also hearing about amare being gone for almost 3 years prior to him actually leaving

TO to the CHI
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
At the end of the day it is the same as any employee leaving any job. If you are valuable, people will be upset that you are leaving, but if you handle things correctly the mature people will realize that you need to do what is best for you and your family. I understand that there is a big difference because of the media spotlight being on the players (and not on other, regular employees), but athletes that leave with dignity are rarely hammered in the press. It is about handling things properly.

In the context of an average employee it is all about giving proper notice, thanking the former employer for the opportunity and being polite. In the athletic world, the concept is the same but on a grander scale.

Some examples: Thank the team that you were with previously and that, more than likely, made you a very rich individual. Thank the fans. Be courteous on the way out the door and don't feel compelled to badmouth everybody. Release a polite, modest statement, if any statement at all. Be relatively honest about your reasons for leaving (different opportunity, team direction, interest in joining new teammates).

Metsfan98
03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't know why they leave their team. They probably leave their team to get more money.

pacofunk64
03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't know why they leave their team. They probably leave their team to get more money.

The thing is, is they can actually get more money if they stay with their current team.

pacofunk64
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't think there is anything a star player will be able to do. If Derrick Rose decided to leave Chicago I would be shocked and speechless. He is such a good example of a quiet humble guy that people in Chicago would still find a reason to hate him. Lebron did it so he could win a championship because no one wants to go to Cleveland. Melo wanted the Knicks because those are his roots and he wants that "star" label of being in NYC.

azamat
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "taking my talents to south beach"

thunderforce
03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
They should be honest and let the team know long in advance and even give them a list of 3 teams that they would like to play for . They should play hard every time they are on the floor and that way both the player and the team can both get the best deal they can .

mttwlsn16
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
have a 2 hour special on espn

:laugh2:

ChiDougie19
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
walk out door...middle finger up...pushin whoever tries stop stop on the way

RaiderLakersA's
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
fulfill your contract. After that, everything's fair game.

In a perfect world, maybe, but in the real world it's not that simple. Emotions of the player, the team, the team's fanbase, fans of the player and his detractors make it much more difficult.

Technically, LeBron did play out his existing contract with Cleveland. And if everything after the fact is "fair game," why is he still taking so much, well, heat from Cleveland fans (never mind the rest of the free world) for his Decision?

I agree that a player should be free to do whatever he wants after his contract expires, but we all know it's rarely easy to walk away without hurting someone. Someone always bleeds when business/career decisions are made.

HiphopRelated
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
They should be honest and let the team know long in advance and even give them a list of 3 teams that they would like to play for . They should play hard every time they are on the floor and that way both the player and the team can both get the best deal they can .
You mean like how teams let players find out they were traded on Sports center? That's the main reason I have zero sympathy for these organizations

Dade County
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
fulfill your contract. After that, everything's fair game

and people saying "tell the FO and keep it quiet", don't be ridiculous, once the FA makes that 1st phone call it will be leaked all over ESPN.

Thank you ^^^^

When your contract is up, do what ever the **** you want to... You are a free agent.

If you are under contract, and you don't want to stay with that team anymore... F off, for fill your contract and play hard.

THE END!

Hawkize31
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Obviously a little different than LeBron did. But I did think it was cool he turned something people wanted to see into a way to raise money for charity.