PDA

View Full Version : Bynum Powers Lakers' Late Run (NBA.COM)

Bruno
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/03/15/bynum-powers-lakers-late-run/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Click on the link for additional videos.

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – If these Lakers of late are the Lakers we see for the remainder of this NBA season, playoffs included, is it fair to expect any team to beat them four times in a playoff series?

Really, is it reasonable to assume that some team — Spurs, Heat, Celtics, Mavericks, etc. — is going to be strong enough inside and out to combat the two-time defending champs?

After watching them rip off nine wins in their last 10 games, we have a hard time seeing it. We’ve debated it up and down here at the hideout and the dissenters are few. Those who believe there is a clear-cut challenger that they’d pick over the Lakers are even more scarce.

And to think there was buzz about the Lakers trading away Andrew Bynum a couple of weeks ago. It’s been the play of Bynum, and the Lakers’ suddenly energized bench crew, that has made the biggest difference for the Lakers as they have refocused themselves on the task of defending their titles.

Bynum has been an absolute beast since the All-Star break, with his scoring and rebounding numbers in low to mid-teens. He’s averaging 14.6 rebounds, 12.6 points, 2.7 blocks and shooting 64 percent from the floor this month, showing off the potential that has kept Lakers insiders from seriously entertaining trade overtures for the past few years.

His matchup with Dwight Howard in the Lakers’ commanding win over the Magic last night, offered a glimpse of just how devastating an impact Bynum can have on a game when he’s dialed in and, of course, healthy.

He scored just 10 points but grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds and added four blocks. Pau Gasol is a much more polished offensive performer than Bynum is (and potentially ever will be). But Bynum brings a defensive presence in the post that few players — Howard being the only guy in the NBA doing it better — can bring to the table.

He’s been so impressive recently that Mark Heisler of the Los Angeles Times has even posed the question of Bynum or Howard, when the latter becomes a free agent 2012:

Whatever Howard may become in 2012 when he can opt out of his contract, he’s all Orlando’s until then . . . and fed up with the speculation.
Seriously, where does this stuff get started?

It’s true, when Howard was asked which player he’d most like to play with All-Star weekend, he said: “No. 24, Kobe Bryant!”

That was just a joke . . . at least for those who think there’s such a thing as a joke.

Coincidentally, Dwight and Kobe have been friends since playing on the 2008 Olympic team … at least for those who believe in coincidences.

“I tell people all the time, everybody has a certain image of Kobe and I don’t find him to be that person,” Howard said before the game. … “I always take up for him when people say he’s a certain way. I think he’s a good person.”
Of course, if Bynum is in another of his midseason surges, he has yet to finish one healthy.

Nevertheless, when upright and in shape, he and Pau Gasol can play the game over opponents’ heads, and have since the break, combining to average 30 points, 22 rebounds and 3.5 blocks, breathing life into the Lakers.
“This is a team where clearly, size becomes an issue, not just for us but for everybody,” Orlando Coach Stan Van Gundy said before the game. “This is the longest team in the league with Bynum, Gasol and [Lamar] Odom up front. I mean, I haven’t seen anybody able to match their length.”

Avenged
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
If Bynum keeps this up, he just might steal Kobe's/Pau's Finals MVP. ;)

GREATNESS ONE
03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I like the read. Anyone who actually watches the Laker games can tell Bynum is a Big Problem for anyone. I love the fact we're playing on all cylinders coming into the playoffs.

Storch
03-15-2011, 05:50 PM
The writer hit the nail on the head when he said:

Of course, if Bynum is in another of his midseason surges, he has yet to finish one healthy.

Hopefully this is the year that Bynum proves the doubters wrong by staying healthy.

Bruno
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Hopefully this is the year that Bynum proves the doubters wrong by staying healthy.
:pray:

KillaInstinct24
03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
If Bynum keeps this up, he just might steal Kobe's/Pau's Finals MVP. ;)

i know you're probably joking but...:rolleyes:

New Power House
03-17-2011, 11:00 PM

It has not been his fault! This is beyond his control or any player's control!
But,if he gets to stay healthy, watch out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyWkUSYv54&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqIesBvbDU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoRS_gZTvNg&feature=related

New Power House
03-17-2011, 11:01 PM
i know you're probably joking but...:rolleyes:

He might refer to this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPr0SXJhIyI&feature=related

gauth25
03-18-2011, 12:23 AM
From what I've been watching lately, no one can beat the Lakers with Bynum like this. Everyone has been afraid to go into the lanes with him around and when they do , he alters their shot tremendously. He ever started to make Dwight to stay to bank shots after that big block. This kid is a beast and if he stays healthy, other teams are in big trouble

Storch
03-18-2011, 04:40 AM
:pray:

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :D

It has not been his fault! This is beyond his control or any player's control!
But,if he gets to stay healthy, watch out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyWkUSYv54&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqIesBvbDU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoRS_gZTvNg&feature=related

He is definitely a beast when he's healthy and rollin! I could only imagine how good he would be if he was healthy this whole time and never lost a step in his game. He seems to improve at a steady rate and it definitely shows when he gets his strength back in those knees. The sky is the limit for this kid, but he has to continuously be healthy to get there. For now, he is a very good defensive role player with average offensive skills. So I would really hate to overrate him at this point. But still, props to drew :clap:

From what I've been watching lately, no one can beat the Lakers with Bynum like this. Everyone has been afraid to go into the lanes with him around and when they do , he alters their shot tremendously. He ever started to make Dwight to stay to bank shots after that big block. This kid is a beast and if he stays healthy, other teams are in big trouble

I wouldn't say afraid is the word to describe him here. Intimidation is more of it, since he can alter shots. People still drive in but they alter their shots upon anticipating Drew down low. Lebron and Wade didn't seem all that afraid driving in so we need to pack the paint on the xbox offense, celtics style. :up:

Dom A N8 U
03-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't say average offense skills by any means especially for a center, have you watched the centers in this league, pretty much none of them have the skills Andrew has, I do not include, Stoudemire, Al Jefferson, Tim Duncan or Al Hortford, they are not centers they are power forward playing on smaller teams, and Bynum owns all four of them head to head.. If Andrew got the touches these guys had or the minutes, this wouldn't be debatable, the only question with Andrew is health, and besides Dwight no Center is ever healthy a whole seaon. Shaq use to miss 30 games a year, one year he missed because of a pinky toe, are you kidding me, Andrew would never miss time for a pinky toe, come on. And all of you who bash Andrew for missing time to go watch the World cup, big F'n deal, he was there when we needed him in the playoffs, and was huge in the finals against Boston. I would rather have Andrew miss the first 24 of the season than miss the playoffs, sorry but that is the truth. I recall last year, Pau missing 20 games or so last year because he had a sore hamstring, no one talked about him misssing time is the reason why Bynum wore down at the end of the year. This kid is a beast and when healthy we are unbeatable, we will not be unbeatable with Dwight Howard, he will take pieces from our team and has already proven, he can not carry a team to a championship, as I recall Andrew is working on number 3....