PDA

View Full Version : Clippers' players paid for coach's surgery after ownership refused

GodsSon
03-15-2011, 12:46 PM
"I contacted the Clippers about medical coverage and they said the surgery wouldn't be covered," Hughes said. "I said, ‘Are you kidding me?' And they said if they did it for one person, they'd have to do for everybody else."

When Dunleavy learned the Clippers wouldn't cover the cost of Hughes' surgery, he mentioned it to his players.

Several of them, including now Milwaukee Bucks forward Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Marko Jaric, were taken aback by the news and decided to offer their assistance.

"Those guys saved my life," Hughes said. "They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn't cheap.

"It showed you what classy people they are. They didn't want me talking about it; they didn't want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do."

Hughes said he will be forever grateful to Brand, Jaric, Kaman and Maggette. In fact, Hughes said every time he runs into any of them, he thanks them from the bottom of his heart.

Maggette said that was indeed the case, laughing how he has repeatedly told Hughes over the years it wasn't necessary.

"Kim thanks me every time he sees me; he does that every single time," Maggette said smiling. "I've said to him, ‘Kim, come on. You don't have to do that. You're good.'

"It just shows you what kind of person he is, to keep thanking me all the time for that. Like I said, it was just my time to serve another human being.

"I think if anyone on my team is in that kind of situation, I would try to help him out if I could. That's just the person I am. I was raised that way."

http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/article_efc79902-4ebd-11e0-8c1b-001cc4c002e0.html

Shame on the Clippers organization

Avenged
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
That is very touching. I certainly look at Maggette in a different way now.

justinnum1
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
damn

donald sterling is one of the biggest scumbags around

Geargo Wallace
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
wow great ownership

ManRam
03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
The Clippers ownership continues to be the biggest joke in all of sports. It's not just because that team sucks, it's because of **** like this. Sterling is ****ing scum, I won't get into that here.

OK...I stepped back, they're reasoning is probably right. Still, I feel like they could have helped out some how.

This very touching. Props to those involved who did the right thing.

kjoke
03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

:nod: i felt the same way

LTBaByyy
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Clippers ownership is so bad in every way :facepalm:

I look at Maggette and those players differently now

And what happened to Jaric???? He used to be good!!!! Until he joined the Clippers

heattiltheend94
03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
props to all of them. Their humbleness is te best part

Hellbound
03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
damn

donald sterling is one of the biggest scumbags around

100%

goblazers7
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
The clippers players should go on strike. That would be awesome to see though it wont happen. Donald Sterling reminds me of Charlie Sheen, kinda. Like taking his GF to see the players showers.

Pretty sure Sterling does Coke too

asandhu23
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Kudos to those guys. **** you Sterling

FuriousJatt
I wouldnt really blame the ownership for this... not know all the facts. being an owner of a small business and having few employees. i dont know if i can cover surgeries of any of my employees. sterling has 100s of employees so i dont know if he can actually afford to pay for all that out of his pocket everytime one of his employees need a surgery. btw doesnt sterling has a healthcare for his employees? the health insurance should cover all that.

bulls_world23
Speechless

Hustla23
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Come on, this is hardly a thing to blame Clippers ownership over.

It's true. If they fully covered all their employees's medical bills, they would be out of business.

And I'm surprised Hughes couldn't just pay this himself. What is he, a beggar? If not a multi-millionaire, he makes at least 6 figures at the bare minimum.

Lloyd Christmas
03-15-2011, 01:19 PM
And what happened to Jaric???? He used to be good!!!! Until he joined the Clippers

Jaric is doing just fine. He's married to possibly the hottest woman in the world.

http://mjyork.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/adriana-lima.jpg

Bob_at_york
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
until he joined the clippers? He was drafted by the clips!

FuriousJatt
03-15-2011, 01:26 PM
until he joined the clippers? He was drafted by the clips!

im not sure but didnt he also play for the wolves? i think kobe actually got suspended for a game one time for elbowing jaric in the head. correct me if im wrong.

mttwlsn16
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Chris Kaman is a class act. Was a starter and allstar, gets hurt and is now happy to come off the bench and has said he wants to do whatever helps the team. Doesnt complain about a thing. And now I read about this, and gain a whole new respect for the guy.
As for DTS, not surprised.

Bob_at_york
03-15-2011, 01:35 PM
im not sure but didnt he also play for the wolves? i think kobe actually got suspended for a game one time for elbowing jaric in the head. correct me if im wrong.

Yeah he played for the Wolves and Memphis.... after the Clippers.

Crackadalic
03-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Its true that the organization cant pay every employee outside of the players that get hurt but they could have paid something for his surgery. Clippers owners are still a bunch of douche bags

smith&wesson
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
they dont deserve blake.

whitemamba33
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Obviously it was an unclassy move by the headoffice, and a classy move by the players.

But....exactly how much does this coach get paid? I'm not saying 70,000 is a drop in the bucket (certainly is for some players), but JVG has been FINED $100,000 before.

This isn't to take anything away from the great move by the players, I'm just curious.

PhillyFaninLA
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Come on, this is hardly a thing to blame Clippers ownership over.

It's true. If they fully covered all their employees's medical bills, they would be out of business.

And I'm surprised Hughes couldn't just pay this himself. What is he, a beggar? If not a multi-millionaire, he makes at least 6 figures at the bare minimum.

I agree that its not the ownerships responsibility. If you got sick would you be mad at the owner or CEO of the company you work for if they don't pay for your surgery. Owenership has no obligation to do this and I don't fault them for doing this nor do I consider it greedy.

With that said what the players did was awesome and this deserves huge coverage nationally because people stepped up and did the right thing out of the kindness of there hearts which is always a cool thing to do.

GodsSon
03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
I wouldnt really blame the ownership for this... not know all the facts. being an owner of a small business and having few employees. i dont know if i can cover surgeries of any of my employees. sterling has 100s of employees so i dont know if he can actually afford to pay for all that out of his pocket everytime one of his employees need a surgery. btw doesnt sterling has a healthcare for his employees? the health insurance should cover all that.

Considering how cheap Sterling has proved himself to be over the years, it wouldn't surprise if he just simply didn't pay for a premium that covered cancer.

smith&wesson
03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
thats really big of the players to step up like that.. although 70k is probably peanuts to split between the players, but the fact that they would do it and want no recognition says alot.

and to the guys whos saying you cant blame the organization...thats pretty messed up that your coach cant get full health insurance if you ask me. these owners makes ALOT of money. more then the players do thats for dam sure.

sep11ie
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't see the uproar against the front office. My company wouldn't pay for my surgery if I needed it. He's lucky enough to have been a likeable guy in an industry where everyone that works for him is a millionaire.

Antipod
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
OMG :facepalm:

FuriousJatt
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
thats really big of the players to step up like that.. although 70k is probably peanuts to split between the players, but the fact that they would do it and want no recognition says alot.

and to the guys whos saying you cant blame the organization...thats pretty messed up that your coach cant get full health insurance if you ask me. these owners makes ALOT of money. more then the players do thats for dam sure.

Every business makes money. thats the purpose of starting and owning a business. but ive worked in sears, and other retail stores in my teen years and noone covered surgeries... not even a dime. why should a professional league team be any different? players need that coverage because they are exposed to the risk anytime they practice or play. the team doesnt need to pay for the same coverage for a coach sittin in a chair or walking on the sidelines.

great deed by the players, but i dont fault the owner or the team.

PurpleJesus28
03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Jaric is doing just fine. He's married to possibly the hottest woman in the world.

:speechless::speechless::speechless: daaaaaaaamn she's fine!

props to the players, always nice to hear stories like this.
:facepalm: for the clippers organization.

anyone know what kind of coverage/help from the organization Geroge Karl got when he was going through his cancer battle last year?

COOLbeans
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM

lol Jaric married Halle Berry?

haha Lima is bomb but not the hottest. top 15 maybe..

COOLbeans
03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Im indirectly connected to Sterling. (dont ask) and he's horrible.

i cant believe he's that cheap, the guy has set up a monopoly board in L.A. he owns a lot of stuff.

GodsSon
03-15-2011, 02:13 PM

i cant believe he's that cheap, the guy has set up a monopoly board in L.A. he owns a lot of stuff.

You're his illegitimate son, aren't you? lol

PhillyFaninLA
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Riiiiiight this is true. Does indirectly mean you've seen a picture of, met once, know a guy that can spell his name.

Most likely you just wanted to say he's horrible. As far as what he owns in LA its not hard to find what the holdings a successful business person are.

Rivera
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM
props 2 maggette n those who contributed

:facepalm: on clippers ownership.....stern should force sterling out

do you know how much the clippers will sale for with blakke griffin on the team? :speechless:

homestarunner93
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, the outrage is only because it's the Clippers management. They can't pay every medical bill for every coach, I'm sure they offer good benefits, but it's not like they can pay for everything. Obviously the article is written to make you look favorably at the players and to make you angry at the Clippers management, but the fact of the matter is, it's a business.

COOLbeans
03-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Riiiiiight this is true. Does indirectly mean you've seen a picture of, met once, know a guy that can spell his name.

Most likely you just wanted to say he's horrible. As far as what he owns in LA its not hard to find what the holdings a successful business person are.

whats your point dummy?

king4day
03-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I didn't read all the posts but does anyone know what the surgery was for?

Great gesture by those guys though. What's amazing is that this had to have happend 3 or 4 years ago and we're only hearing about it now.

fadedmario
03-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Props to the players. Great Story.

TheDiggler
03-15-2011, 02:53 PM

x2 and at kaman Brand and jaric too

bulls_world23
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
props to the players :clap:

Supa
03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Ironically, the story probably cost the Clippers more than $70,000.

I wonder if the surgery is work related, as Hughes was expecting the franchise to pick up the tab, as were the players.

In any case, kudo to the helping players.

---

Fool
03-15-2011, 03:01 PM

:speechless: :speechless: :speechless:

Holy. crap.

nickdymez
03-15-2011, 03:05 PM

The clippers aren't exactly a small business. This is 100% ownerships fault

Lim
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
no surprise that elton brand helped pay for his surgery, guy is a class act

avrpatsfan
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Sterling is a scumbag. He's your coach, you help him out in his time of need.

allSUAVE
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Clippers is a terrible organization, Even with the Whole black history month celebrating it in the wrong month .Can't wait till Blake Griffin leave & and I won't feel sorrow.

hgtiger32
03-15-2011, 04:02 PM
sterling. what a tool

shizzle09
03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Sterling :pity:

Hawkeye15
03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
while I understand why the Clips organzation didn't want to set a precedant, its still pretty crappy.

I just gained a newfound respect for Brand, Maggette, Jaric, and Kaman. I know they make a ton of money, and splitting this up didn't kill them financially, but that isn't even remotely the point here.

Happy to read that. Thanks for posting it

Lakerhead4ever
03-15-2011, 05:30 PM
its good to hear these players are doing something good wit their money these days

fadedmario
03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
no surprise that elton brand helped pay for his surgery, guy is a class act

and fitting in pretty good in Philly right now. They are a good basketball team. I like the fight in em...

GREATNESS ONE
03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Great Read.

JRisdabest
03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
go clips!

hotpotato1092
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
This is why Donald Sterling shouldn't be allowed to own a team.

Sync
03-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Wow, very nice by Clippers players, but the owner, seriosuly wtFF!!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Is this a new low for Sterling?

mttwlsn16
03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
they dont deserve blake.

the fans do. weve suffered long enough lol

Chronz
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Maggette has always been misunderstood

ElMarroAfamado
03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I hate Corey Maggette cause he sucks, but I think I like him a little more now.

td0tsfinest
03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Speechless

same. I really don't know what to say. The clippers organization was always a joke but this just shameful.

Baller1
03-15-2011, 07:08 PM
These type of things give me a glimmer of hope for humanity...

JNA17
03-15-2011, 07:15 PM
What's with people saying the Clippers would be or potentially be out of business if they paid $70,000 for that surgery? Seriously this is an NBA organization! Most if not all owners of an sports teams are billionaires and so is the team's worth. This is not a small bunniess like some home depot store or some stop & shop store, this is a multi-million if not billion dollar organization! Not to mention that the team is located in oh i don't know...LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA! Come on now that alone could help pay a $70,000 dollar surgery which is chump change to them.

Anyway, kudos to the players, very humble of them.

showtym24
03-15-2011, 07:15 PM
I remember the lakers paid for turiaf's heart surgery before they even signed him.

sugarrayray
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Yeah its weird. His whole career all I've ever been hearing is that he's a team cancer. I'm a bucks fan and now that I see him up close I can tell that he's the exact opposite.

The Bucks have had an awful season and the only two guys I consistently see being positive vocal leaders are Corey Maggette and Keyon Dooling.

When I listen to Maggette speak I can tell he's a thoughtful person.

JNA17
03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I remember the lakers paid for turiaf's heart surgery before they even signed him.

Exactly, this was before his rookie season! Although I almost completely forgot about that, thanks for reminding me :laugh2:.

Either way, the ownership deserve no sympathy and should not have one excuse at all.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Well its the Clippers, what do you expect?

jrm2054
03-15-2011, 08:12 PM
there owner is the worst in sports

roshan3ai
03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I hate Corey Maggette cause he sucks, but I think I like him a little more now.

I can guarantee you haven't seen him play more than 3 times. He doesn't suck. He's actually a very efficient offensive player.

I have no idea how he was labeled a chucker.

Oh and that story was great. I love to hear stuff like that and it shows how generous the players were. It's really nice to hear

USMCLaker
03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
lol at sterling thinking that Blake will be a clipper for life.

Although, I have to say sterdingaling gives me hope because if this idiot can be a millionaire than so can I.

enserio
03-16-2011, 02:59 PM
The negative attention that athletes bring upon themselves seems to get much more shine than stories like these, so I'm glad these players got credit for such a touching gesture. Even better that they didn't even want the credit.

RocketPower2010
03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Is anyone going to explain how a coaches that makes millions of dollars a year can't afford a $70,000 surgery? It's by far the most confusing aspect of the whole story.

Lake_Show2416
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
that's why that organization has progressing ...messed up operations, b¡tches !!

Lake_Show2416
03-16-2011, 04:04 PM
lol at sterling thinking that Blake will be a clipper for life.

Although, I have to say sterdingaling gives me hope because if this idiot can be a millionaire than so can I.

He's gonna run as fast as he can

hard_candy
03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
qft.

Sadly, the Clippers' consistent incompetence ironically gives them the draft picks which allows them to enjoy these great players for their first 3 years in the league.

Hopefully griffin goes to an organization which can actually appreciate his skills. Portland, anyone?

they dont deserve blake.

FuriousJatt
03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
What's with people saying the Clippers would be or potentially be out of business if they paid $70,000 for that surgery? Seriously this is an NBA organization! Most if not all owners of an sports teams are billionaires and so is the team's worth. This is not a small bunniess like some home depot store or some stop & shop store, this is a multi-million if not billion dollar organization! Not to mention that the team is located in oh i don't know...LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA! Come on now that alone could help pay a $70,000 dollar surgery which is chump change to them.

Anyway, kudos to the players, very humble of them.

i knw its not a small business. a small business like a stop shot might have 2-10 employees and its usually worth less than 5mil. clippers are probably worth 300-400 mils and it employees few hundred employees. if sterling was to pay for each employees surgery he would be in a hole. the nba owners and players are facing similar problems as nfl. the clippers arent the lakers or any or the other elite teams, so they dont really earn as much as other clubs. in the article it says, the ownership refused to pay because they dont want to pay just one employee and turn their backs on others... it seems fair, especially when that particular employees is making at least 2mil/year (nba coaches usually make no less than 2mil a year). the guy had money; no doubt, he was just trying to make the owners pay for it.

mjt20mik
03-16-2011, 05:16 PM
it seems fair, especially when that particular employees is making at least 2mil/year (nba coaches usually make no less than 2mil a year). the guy had money; no doubt, he was just trying to make the owners pay for it.

Assistant coaches don't make anywhere close to that. Kim had his surgery when he was an assistant coach, and I assume their salaries range anywhere from 300 - 400 k. So if you think about it, 70 k is quite a bit of money.

I don't disagree with the management, I just think that if they gave like a 10 % compensation or something, it would have been decent. To say, no we are not giving a loyal employee anything, really does show how much the management doesn't care about its employees.

Kudos to the players though.

Tony_Starks
03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I read a really good article today about how when Sterling fires his people still under contract he stops paying them and basicallly dares them to sue. He's done this with a lot of people, most recently Dunleavy. It takes the guys years to get their money.

But the point of the article was since this is common knowledge why hasn't the great dictator Stern done anything about it? He wants to control seemingly every aspect of the game and give the appearance of a "classy" league but by allowing Sterling to do this he's basically condoning it.....

OnslaughtXX6
03-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Donald Sterling's Net Worth is 1.8 billion. I think he has more then enough to help out his employers with medical needs.

IAmKira
03-16-2011, 06:16 PM
No one's giving credit to Elton Brand or Kaman! wtf?

Bruno
03-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Donald Sterling makes me want to puke in my soup.

I've said it before and I stand by it. I'll never commit as a Clippers fan while he still owns the team. He's truly one of the worst owners in professional sports.

mzgrizz
03-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah he played for the Wolves and Memphis.... after the Clippers.

Well, you can say he barely played for the Grizzlies; but this story is certainly a great one and am glad that those 4 players helped the coach out

adab
03-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Not that I wish ill on anyone, but we all know what karma is. Rhymes with ditch and starts with b.

Nikeman
03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Players-chip-in-to-save-coach-8217-s-life-after?urn=nba-wp184

TopsyTurvy
03-17-2011, 09:36 PM
The short answer is yes.

shen
03-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Yes.

Bruno
03-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Sucks making this kind of judgment, considering none of us even know the man. But the obvious answer, based on his track record is yes. IMO he is the worst owner in professional sports; he is a documented housing discriminator, a crypto-racist, and a selfish employer. The list goes on and on.

Fnom11
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Rich people wanting to remain rich? Crazy

whitemamba33
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Already been posted/discussed.

...get over it. You would think he's LeBron James or something with all of these threads the guy is getting.

danniboi168
03-18-2011, 01:11 AM
wow very touching..

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2011, 08:40 AM
I cant believe this. You mean to tell me they said: If we do it for you, we have to do it for everybody. What if a player is injured? Do they say: sorry, we cant cover it, or we'll have to cover it for the other players too.

I dont know how much an assistant makes and why he didnt have coverage, but seriously... this is disgusting.

Mile High Champ
03-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Not good PR for the Clippers one bit.

adab
03-18-2011, 09:51 AM
As much as this says about Donald Sterling, it's even more of a comment about health care in the USA. Can't think of too many democratic western societies that have as unballanced an approached to health care. The guy is going to die a miserable death and the government does nothing to help this guy.

GSW Hoops
03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
The Clippers have the organizational skills of a McDonalds.

D-Will4Prez
03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Umm, this happened back in 2004...why are we talking about it now?

KingPosey
03-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Come on man, you are gonna compare your small business to the a Billionaire Sterling and the Clippers Org? I bet there is a bit of a revenue gap between you and Sterling.