PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs a broken team?

Albrecht Duerer
03-15-2011, 10:06 AM
You can't help but notice that they've recently sustained two really bad losses. They've relied to a large extent on the 3 point shot. It seems that this element of their game has finally leveled off. Theyre a mediocre defensive team and Duncan is a shell of his former self. Blair is a good player but, what he has in width, he loses in height.

JNA17
03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
it's been a couple of bad games. Every single team in the NBA goes through them, there not worried and no fan should be concerned about it.

nickdymez
03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Its because the Spurs had a pretty easy schedule first half of the season. Teams are also starting to key in on the three point shooting. Timmy isnt what he used to be and they are lacking a little bit of inside presence.

BigCityofDreams
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
The Spurs aren't a broken team but I don't think they are as great as ppl make them out to be.

Heater4life
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Every team has a rough stretch of games. There a very good team, you better hold your breath if your team faces them come playoff time.

heattiltheend94
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
The Heat just played their best game of the season and the Lakers played great too. I think its more due to how great both teams played

Mishmin
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM
No, the Spurs are not a broken team. NBA fans can be so fickle.

Muttman73
03-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Saw this one coming, the Spurs are an old team.

Gibby23
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
The Spurs are not as good as their record. They will be making a 2nd round exit.

Yanks All Day
03-15-2011, 11:11 AM
The Spurs are fine. The Lakers and Heat both won big because they absolutely HAD to. They were both on bad stretches and needed to show the haters that they can beat the best. The Spurs had absolutely nothing to prove. They have already beaten both teams this year and still have a 6 game lead on Boston and Chicago for the best record in the entire NBA. The 2 losses were more must-have, statement games from Miami and Los Angeles than signs of danger from San Antonio. Is anyone really going to question this team come playoff time? They have championship experience, very good youth talent, and the best coach in the NBA. Nothing to worry about.

Albrecht Duerer
03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
The Spurs are fine. The Lakers and Heat both won big because they absolutely HAD to. They were both on bad stretches and needed to show the haters that they can beat the best. The Spurs had absolutely nothing to prove. They have already beaten both teams this year and still have a 6 game lead on Boston and Chicago for the best record in the entire NBA. The 2 losses were more must-have, statement games from Miami and Los Angeles than signs of danger from San Antonio. Is anyone really going to question this team come playoff time? They have championship experience, very good youth talent, and the best coach in the NBA. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I am questioning them in the playoffs. It seems like they're overreliant on the three. This can sustain you for a while and even win a playoff series (see Orlando vs the Cavs in 2009) for you but the problem is, when you go cold, it could get ugly.

Gibby23
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
The Spurs don't even have a post game anymore. Duncan is almost done.

pd1dish
03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
lol how can anyone even question the Spurs? they're 6 games ahead of anyone in the NBA. they're going to have HCA throughout the playoffs. they had 2 ugly losses against a team that is tied for 2nd in the West and a team that is 3rd in the East. otherwise, they have played great the rest of the season.

Chi City23
03-15-2011, 11:27 AM
The Spurs really have nothing to play for anymore. They aren't motivated and know they need to keep fresh for the playoffs. Basically they are just coasting til the playoffs come around.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
they are 7 wins ahead of everyone, with like 14 games to go. They are on cruise control until the playoffs. Reading into any loss of theirs, unless they build a crazy streak, is reaching at this point.

HallofFameKidd
03-15-2011, 11:42 AM
No.The Spurs are fine...just 2 bad loses (2 of only 13 all season).

Lakerhead4ever
03-15-2011, 11:51 AM

:facepalm:
dude stop it. u said the spurs have nothing to prove? its less than 17 games in the season and teams are stating to get their playoff modes going and they have nothing to prove? yea they has beaen both miami and la, but lets not forget, heat beat them by 30 and the lakers destroyed them on their home floor.

i agree that they are a very good team but whn u say things like they have nothing to prove and them having the best coach (which is very debatable) is crazy. i hope nba players dnt think the way u do. losing games this badly after the all star break is far from (they have nothing to prove)

ohh and by the way, if ur not the lakers or celtics, teams have everything to prove, they have shown they can win on anyones floor at any moment and over come any slump, for the past 3 yrs.

TRF929
03-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Saw this one coming, the Spurs are an old team.

I saw this coming

They'll be fine, rotations shorten during playoffs, so they won't be shooting 3s as much as they do now and they'll go inside to Duncan mre often. He's still got it, trust me

Plus I expected them to lose against Heat this time, THe heat were able to look at the past game and change things around. The Spurs couldn't do that cause The Heat just played horrible and there was nothing to learn. I promise if they played again, it would be much different

Avenged
03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
They pretty much have the 1st seed on lock, no reason for them to continue to go all out.. especially considering the age and injuries their core has shown in the past.

Gibby23
03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I saw this coming

They'll be fine, rotations shorten during playoffs, so they won't be shooting 3s as much as they do now and they'll go inside to Duncan mre often. He's still got it, trust me

Plus I expected them to lose against Heat this time, THe heat were able to look at the past game and change things around. The Spurs couldn't do that cause The Heat just played horrible and there was nothing to learn. I promise if they played again, it would be much different

The only reason they are winning is because the shoot the 3 and run. You are saying they will go back to what didn't work last year. They are not a great rebounding or defensive team, the only chance they have is to run.

sep11ie
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
They are good enough to only have to play Timmy D for 25 minutes a game and still have the best record in the NBA.

FuriousJatt
03-15-2011, 12:50 PM
were the lakers done when they lost 4 in a row? were the heat done when they lost 5 in a row? are the celtics done cuz they lost to the nets?

spurs will be fine.

Missing56&33
03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I thought that LA sent the Spurs a strong message in their own gym that the Lakers are the team to beat in the West. The Lakers are the defending NBA champions. As a spectator I got the message loud and clear and I believe they will come out of the West. With that being said......the Miami loss means nothing because they are done with them for the year.

shep33
03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Gotta remember, the Lakers wanted to prove that they were the team to beat following the break, and Miami got beat down in San Antonio, so you knew the Heat were gonna come looking for revenge.

They definitely have weaknesses though, just like every team.

Hustlenomics
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
people take the regular season WAY too seriously here

shep33
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
In all truth interconference battles (east vs. west) means absolutely nothing.

I remember in 2009 LA getting swept by Orlando, then playing them in the finals and winning in 5 games.

Same thing happend in 98 with Chicago... Utah swept the Bulls in the regular season, Bulls win in 6.

Great win by the Heat though, they needed to get revenge, and they waxed the Spurs last night. Very impressive.

blahblahyoutoo
03-15-2011, 01:21 PM
the spurs aren't THAT good.

yeah, i said it.

enserio
03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
wouldn't be surprised if Timmy calls it a career at the end of this season. No need to run around play backup on a bunch of different teams, just retire a Spur.

gr824
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM

The Lakers had won six in a row -- and eleven of their previous fifteen -- when they went into SA on March 6th and throttled the Spurs. Since then, Los Angeles has won three of four ...

In February and March, combined, the Lakers are 15-5 [ 6-1 in March alone ]. The Lakers, indeed, have had some "bad" stretches during this season -- 5-5 to close out November, 2-4 over the Christmas/New Years 'week', and 3-4 the last two weeks in January -- but they were not in such a stretch when they played the Spurs recently ...

FuriousJatt
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
In all truth interconference battles (east vs. west) means absolutely nothing.

I remember in 2009 LA getting swept by Orlando, then playing them in the finals and winning in 5 games.

Same thing happend in 98 with Chicago... Utah swept the Bulls in the regular season, Bulls win in 6.

Great win by the Heat though, they needed to get revenge, and they waxed the Spurs last night. Very impressive.

tahts the point. i remember i was telling my buddies that the lakers would be better off playing the cavs or the celtics, because the magic just absolutely killed the lakers in both meeting from the three point line.

the spurs have beaten the both the lakers and heat... BADLY and they have lost BADLY. so it doesnt mean anything. the lakers struggled down the stretch last year and everyone started saying "its over, they're done", yet they still won the championship. so i wouldnt discount the spurs just yet.... not until the fat lady or blair sings.

whitemamba33
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
The PSD population in general tends to overreact to almost everything. I'm just going to put that out there. And I'm not being biased..I'm a Lakers fan and I see the same thing in the Lakers forum when we lose. Not long ago the popular opinion was that we weren't going to be able to turn it around, and that Bynum had to go. Now we've picked it up and Bynum is looking like a stud. I see the same thing in almost every board..so it applies here.

People are willing to forget what has been a great season for the Spurs, and instead they decide to use a few recent losses to define the season.

Crackadalic
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
People were saying the same thing about Boston last year when they played 500 basketball the last 27 games yet they made it to game 7 of the nba finals. They'll be fine. Their just bored out their minds and want to playoffs to start to turn it on

smith&wesson
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
maybe theyre saving some gas for the playoffs

210Don
03-15-2011, 02:10 PM
lmao smh

Albrecht Duerer
03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
People were saying the same thing about Boston last year when they played 500 basketball the last 27 games yet they made it to game 7 of the nba finals. They'll be fine. Their just bored out their minds and want to playoffs to start to turn it on

I dont think its the same thing. The Spurs have been successful this year, in large part, because of guys like Bonner and Neal knocking down 3s. Have they been playing over their heads? Has the clock struck midnight and have they turned into pumpkins?

210Don
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I dont think its the same thing. The Spurs have been successful this year, in large part, because of guys like Bonner and Neal knocking down 3s. Have they been playing over their heads? Has the clock struck midnight and have they turned into pumpkins?

because neal hasnt averaged 12 ppg his last 12 games right??? lmao:facepalm:

bulls_world23
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Did Timmy say Game Over yest?

Albrecht Duerer
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
because neal hasnt averaged 12 ppg his last 12 games right??? lmao:facepalm:

He was just an example of the kind of guys they've been relying on.

It just seems like the Spurs are going to need Duncan to come alive. Id be nervous about relying on the 3 pt shot.

210Don
03-15-2011, 02:26 PM
He was just an example of the kind of guys they've been relying on.

It just seems like the Spurs are going to need Duncan to come alive. Id be nervous about relying on the 3 pt shot.

were a team.... of course were gonna rely on them when our starters dont play well. doesnt your team rely on bench for energy???

13 losses is needing timmy to come alive???? he played great yesterday when we took him out we lost our lead he got back in we played well...
if you wanna underestimate timmy be my guest...

Albrecht Duerer
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
were a team.... of course were gonna rely on them when our starters dont play well. doesnt your team rely on bench for energy???

13 losses is needing timmy to come alive???? he played great yesterday when we took him out we lost our lead he got back in we played well...
if you wanna underestimate timmy be my guest...

You're not worried that your team is leaking oil?

Rego247
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
they are not a broken team. they're the best team in the nba. plus they are built for the post season, i wouldnt push the panic button jus cuz they drop a few games coming down the stretch.

210Don
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM
You're not worried that your team is leaking oil?

not really..... dyess is the starter now itll take a few games to get used to... im actually more excited he makes our defense so much better vs teams like lakers thunder & mavs.... well be a better team actually. worry bout your team

tdunk21
03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Spurs are fine, but lack defensive effort on the floor...once the playoffs start, timmy and dice will be in for extended minutes....so thats not a concern....the only concern is relying too much on the 3 pt shot, team rebounding and team defense....that said, i liked some of the responses in this thread....

JordansBulls
03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
they are 7 wins ahead of everyone, with like 14 games to go. They are on cruise control until the playoffs. Reading into any loss of theirs, unless they build a crazy streak, is reaching at this point.

this

Lim
03-15-2011, 03:47 PM
i see a lot of ppl sleeping on duncan and they shouldn't. popovich has been purposely limiting his minutes to keep him fresh come playoff time. he is playing a career low 28 minutes and still putting up 13 ppg 9 rpg 2 blks and 3 apg while shooting 48% from the floor. once the playoffs start he will be playing like 38 mpg and i wouldn't be surprised to see him avg his old 20/10.

shizzle09
03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
did timmy say game over yest?

nope. haha

heathonater
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
i dont think san antonio is as good as their record would indicate, but they are still a really good team. if bynum continues to play like he has for the lakers lately, i dont see san antonio beating la in a playoff series.

Giraffes Rule
03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Did Timmy say Game Over yest?

You know he wasn't even talking about the game, right? He was talking about the competition between Bonner and Neal for who is the better 3-point shooter.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2011-articles/march/game-over.html

dodie53
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
it's just 2 bad losses

ElMarroAfamado
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
The Spurs suck. I have been saying this since day 1 and stressing not to let their record fool you. Much like the Heat, they will show how much they truly suck once the playoffs begin. Wait till then to see how much they suck

210Don
03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
The Spurs suck. I have been saying this since day 1 and stressing not to let their record fool you. Much like the Heat, they will show how much they truly suck once the playoffs begin. Wait till then to see how much they suck

stfu

lakeshow3peat
03-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Spurs suck ? i disagree just cause they lost to the Heat by a bad game played by the spurs doesnt mean anything . I still would take the Spurs in a seven game series between the two.

kdspurman
03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
1st, the spurs are not a broken team obviously. Just like the heat arent when they struggled all year and when the lakers were struggling. they were getting beat by teams under .500 in all fairness.

2nd, let's take a trip down memory lane. San antonio beats miami by 30. Miami plays at home and returns the favor. Spurs beat lakers by 15 in january. (and also a last second tip in to beat them a few weeks later in l.a.) Lakers then beat spurs by 16. Teams dont forget when they get blown out or have a last second loss. they want redemption which the lakers and heat both got.

3rd. Sure san antonio has size issues to address and they'll figure something out. But i know one thingTim duncan wont be playing 28 mpg in the playoffs. It'll be in the mid to upper 30's. They're scoring a lot of points now to get wins but I know pop is not thinking this style will win it all. So expect to see their defensive schemes change a bit.

4th. Me personally am glad they lost today the way they did. It gives them 3 days to be pissed about it and get redemption vs dallas friday. (since the mavs beat the spurs when they were 100% healthy)

5th. I think it's ok to drop a couple here and there. I'm happier if they win their last 4 or 5 games of the season heading into the playoffs. And keep beating all the teams they should beat in between. We've beaten every team in the league except the celtics who they play in a couple weeks. Pretty impressive if you ask me. You think all those other teams don't want pay back? Spurs quietly had a target on their back.

It's amazing what 2 bad losses can make people think. Now spurs fans know what heat/laker fans went through i guess lol it's only a matter of time before an "are the celtics broken" thread starts especially after that loss to the nets.

PippensBulls
03-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Spurs aren't a broken team. They're a good team when healthy. Still I think OKC will beat them if they face in the second round. Durant is a nightmare for that team. No one can stop him.

drobe86
03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
The Spurs don't even have a post game anymore. Duncan is almost done.

Haha... Duncan IS DONE lol... I've never seen a player drop off so quick as him. He went from Legend to BUM in 2 years....

Dallas Tx4Life
03-15-2011, 10:23 PM
the spurs are about as broken as miami a week ago and the lakers before the allstar break... aka not at all

drobe86
03-15-2011, 10:25 PM
1st, the spurs are not a broken team obviously. Just like the heat arent when they struggled all year and when the lakers were struggling. they were getting beat by teams under .500 in all fairness.

2nd, let's take a trip down memory lane. San antonio beats miami by 30. Miami plays at home and returns the favor. Spurs beat lakers by 15 in january. (and also a last second tip in to beat them a few weeks later in l.a.) Lakers then beat spurs by 16. Teams dont forget when they get blown out or have a last second loss. they want redemption which the lakers and heat both got.

3rd. Sure san antonio has size issues to address and they'll figure something out. But i know one thingTim duncan wont be playing 28 mpg in the playoffs. It'll be in the mid to upper 30's. They're scoring a lot of points now to get wins but I know pop is not thinking this style will win it all. So expect to see their defensive schemes change a bit.

4th. Me personally am glad they lost today the way they did. It gives them 3 days to be pissed about it and get redemption vs dallas friday. (since the mavs beat the spurs when they were 100% healthy)

5th. I think it's ok to drop a couple here and there. I'm happier if they win their last 4 or 5 games of the season heading into the playoffs. And keep beating all the teams they should beat in between. We've beaten every team in the league except the celtics who they play in a couple weeks. Pretty impressive if you ask me. You think all those other teams don't want pay back? Spurs quietly had a target on their back.

It's amazing what 2 bad losses can make people think. Now spurs fans know what heat/laker fans went through i guess lol it's only a matter of time before an "are the celtics broken" thread starts especially after that loss to the nets.

Thats a double negative. Idk if you can quitely have a target on your back... Teams either gun for you or they don't. But what does that mean anyway? Doesn't every team try to win every night? There is a target on the other teams back that you're playing every night, so that cliche doesn't mean all that much to me....

Dallas Tx4Life
03-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Thats a double negative. Idk if you can quitely have a target on your back... Teams either gun for you or they don't. But what does that mean anyway? Doesn't every team try to win every night? There is a target on the other teams back that you're playing every night, so that cliche doesn't mean all that much to me....

of course teams want to win night in and night out, thats clear.... but are you really trying to deny that teams dont have extra motivation against lets say the heat versus the likes of the t'wolves?

Lim
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Haha... Duncan IS DONE lol... I've never seen a player drop off so quick as him. He went from Legend to BUM in 2 years....

yea in the regular season. he has shown no evidence of slowing down come playoff time.... yet

Dallas Tx4Life
03-15-2011, 10:44 PM

i take it you dont remember josh howard... and he wasnt/isnt even old!!!!

kdspurman
03-15-2011, 11:11 PM

you're gonna tell me good teams don't play down to the competition? and bad teams don't play extra hard vs good teams? come on man :facepalm:

btw, tim duncan will be fine come playoffs... mark my words

knightstemplar
03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Spurs aren't a broken team. They're a good team when healthy. Still I think OKC will beat them if they face in the second round. Durant is a nightmare for that team. No one can stop him.

ron artest can
nobody is scared of durant, young and inexperienced, and when he doesnt get his phantom calls he struggles

PippensBulls
03-15-2011, 11:21 PM
ron artest can
nobody is scared of durant, young and inexperienced, and when he doesnt get his phantom calls he struggles

I meant no one on that Spurs team can limit Durant.

But...

You're only kidding yourself when you say nobody is scared of Durant.

kdspurman
03-15-2011, 11:27 PM

But...

spurs have actually matched up well with okc. last 6 games or 7 they lost once to them. durant/westbrook can go off but who else can score consistently

Kobes a Killer
03-15-2011, 11:28 PM
They are far from broken. I think they should be more worried about the Lakers, than the Lakers should be worried about them come playoffs time. Doesn't matter who has homecourt, LA is just too big for them

knightstemplar
03-15-2011, 11:28 PM

But...

oh, but i aint scared of durant, just put a big strong guy on him, and he wont top 30 points, unless if the refs help him out

knightstemplar
03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
spurs have actually matched up well with okc. last 6 games or 7 they lost once to them. durant/westbrook can go off but who else can score consistently

you guys will beat the thunder im pretty sure

Car Ramrod
03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
They are coasting. I wouldn't be worried. Come playoffs they are going to be tough. Duncans numbers are down because his minutes have been limited the whole to prepare for the season. Lakers went trough the same stretch earlier. Its bound to happen over a season.

PippensBulls
03-15-2011, 11:39 PM
oh, but i aint scared of durant, just put a big strong guy on him, and he wont top 30 points, unless if the refs help him out

Refs are going to help him. They help every star in this league.

IversonIsKrazy
03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Their 2 ugly losses were @ LA and @ MIA. A week ago they beat they heat by 30 at home, and beat LA twice earlier this season. San Antonio will be a tough place place to win in the playoffs. Altho Duncan is no more the post man that he used to be, they have plenty of play-makers in Parker, Manu, Hill, rookie Neal. The only team they can't beat imo is LA.

Car Ramrod
03-16-2011, 12:27 AM
The west will be tough no matter what. Portland just beat Dallas and will scary to play in the playoffs and Memphis is not your typical 8 seed either.

PippensBulls
03-16-2011, 12:36 AM

They had the same lineup minus Perkins last year and they were able to keep it close against LAL. Against the Spurs if they can defend the three there's no need for extra offense. They have floor spacers in Harden and Sefolosha and Ibaka can hit those 15 foot jumpers.

JordansBulls
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
you guys will beat the thunder im pretty sure

I think Denver may be able to as well.