PDA

View Full Version : NBA ref sues Twittering Timberwolves reporter

Gators123
03-14-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/law/2011/03/nba-ref-sues-twittering-timberwolves.html?ana=twt

An NBA referee has whistled foul on an Associated Press Timberwolves reporter who tweeted that the ref promised points to head coach Kurt Rambis after a bad call.

Bill Spooner said he has "honestly" refereed NBA games for 22 years, but was investigated by the league after AP writer Jon Krawczynski posted a message on social networking site Twitter.com during the Jan. 24 Timberwolves game against the Houston Rockets at the Target Center.

According to his suit, the Oak Park, Cali. referee called a Minnesota player for a foul at 10:22 in the second period and got an earful from Rambis.

After promising to review the call at the half, Spooner said Rambis asked him how he would get the points back.

Spooner said he didn't respond to the comment, but Krawczynski soon after tweeted: "Ref Bill Spooner told Rambis he'd "get it back" after a bad call. Then he made an even worse call on Rockets. That's NBA officiating folks."

Spooner called that Tweet a defamatory accusation of game fixing, and said the reporter and his employer have refused to retract it. His suit seeks more than $75,000 in damages, the Tweet to be unpublished and a retraction of the statement.

“We believe all of the facts we reported from the game in question were accurate,”AP Associate General Counsel Dave Tomlin said in a statement.

The AP's Minneapolis office deferred to an AP spokesman, who said the organization has not been served with the lawsuit. He declined to otherwise comment.

The suit, filed in Minneapolis' U.S. District Court on Monday, doesn't say whether Spooner thinks he got the call right.

Read more: NBA ref sues Twittering Timberwolves reporter | Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

GodsSon
03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
The writer should just say his twitter account got hacked when that was posted :rolleyes:

Super.
03-14-2011, 11:01 PM
The writer should just say his twitter account got hacked when that was posted :rolleyes:

No, he should claim it was LeBron writing on his Twitter

asandhu23
03-14-2011, 11:02 PM
NBA is Rigged.

PurpleJesus
03-14-2011, 11:10 PM

lol, so many people get away with doing that

apparently though, this guy is sticking to his word, and in the end, he may point out a bad ref to the league.

hgtiger32
03-14-2011, 11:21 PM
haha this doesn't surprise me. there are makeup calls in the nba, in college, and in high school

jrm2054
03-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Th ref is mad he got caught

Hustlenomics
03-14-2011, 11:27 PM
hopefully the ref loses and this goes public. These refs are horrible

mttwlsn16
03-14-2011, 11:41 PM
No, he should claim it was LeBron writing on his Twitter

perfect :clap:

Gram
03-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Suing him is making it more public than it already is. And I don't see why the ref cares about something said over the internet. :S

JNA17
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Suing him is making it more public than it already is. And I don't see why the ref cares about something said over the internet. :S

as someone else said, he's mad he got caught, otherwise you would be right, he should not care.

utahjazzno12fan
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
He would have to prove he didn't say it.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2011, 10:11 AM

I think if somebody is saying something defamatory, it is on them to prove it is true.

As for the issue at hand: I dont evne think its unreasonable. If an official knows he made a bad call, and he maybe lets another play slide, or lets a close call go their way, its just making up for the bad call. I dont like it, but is sounds somewhat reasonable, and its not the same as game fixing.

kilgore2345
03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

His defense is that he didn't say it - he doesn't have to prove it. The burden of proof is on the writer to prove that the referee did say it (if the writer chooses to go down that road). What the referee has to prove is that the writer's tweet was a defamatory statement maliciously uttered that caused the referee irreparable harm.

If the writer does prove that the referee did say it, well, there is no defense to truth.

Proving that the referee did say may be difficult and, in my experience, usually not how defamation cases work out. The writer will probably focus on the referee's status as a public figure, whether there is a real injury to the referee from this statement, and so on.

The referee hasn't lost his job and as a part of a class of people that continually have their decisions second guessed by thousands of other people, I don't know what esteem he can really claim he lost.

turnaround3
03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
It's already been said but makeup calls exist on every level of the sport. And this instance I'm fine with the way it was handled. First of all, it's nothing close to game-fixing, not in the least - two completely different things.

Secondly, if the ref reviewed the bad call at halftime as he promised he would, and acknowledged his initial mistake, I don't see a problem with a makeup call. Otherwise you're demanding 100% accuracy from an imperfect observer, something that's completely unrealistic. So if you have a problem with the makeup call, you have a problem with what is as close to fair refereeing as you can get.

Htownballa1622
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't think make up calls are good.if there's a call that can go either way then call it to the best of their ability.

Trying to correct it by a make up call is where its bad because youre directly affecting the game and refs shouldn't make any calls like that.
Its when this happens, that people think the refs can leave their mark and affect the game. (fixing or cheating)

I've said it a while though...i think some refs shouldn't be refs.(joe crawford, dick bavetta, etc.)

utahjazzno12fan
03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
His defense is that he didn't say it - he doesn't have to prove it. The burden of proof is on the writer to prove that the referee did say it (if the writer chooses to go down that road). What the referee has to prove is that the writer's tweet was a defamatory statement maliciously uttered that caused the referee irreparable harm.

If the writer does prove that the referee did say it, well, there is no defense to truth.

Proving that the referee did say may be difficult and, in my experience, usually not how defamation cases work out. The writer will probably focus on the referee's status as a public figure, whether there is a real injury to the referee from this statement, and so on.

The referee hasn't lost his job and as a part of a class of people that continually have their decisions second guessed by thousands of other people, I don't know what esteem he can really claim he lost.

Nope. The burden of proof in defamation cases (slander or libel) is on the plantiff. He has to prove he didn't say it. I am a part-time freelance journalist. I know what I am talking about.

http://www.medialaw.org/Template.cfm?Section=Libel_FAQs

Read the section titled, "What is libel?"

utahjazzno12fan
03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
It's already been said but makeup calls exist on every level of the sport. And this instance I'm fine with the way it was handled. First of all, it's nothing close to game-fixing, not in the least - two completely different things.

Secondly, if the ref reviewed the bad call at halftime as he promised he would, and acknowledged his initial mistake, I don't see a problem with a makeup call. Otherwise you're demanding 100% accuracy from an imperfect observer, something that's completely unrealistic. So if you have a problem with the makeup call, you have a problem with what is as close to fair refereeing as you can get.

Refs and umpires are taught if you make a makeup call, you have made two bad calls.

TopsyTurvy
03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
"To err is human, to forgive divine."

- Alexander Pope

Metsfan98
03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Wow people should just tell the truth.

Rentzias
03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I've said it a while though...i think some refs shouldn't be refs.(joe crawford, dick bavetta, etc.)

I think with the ref stigma in the NBA, all the current refs are probably really touchy about any accusations of fixing/cheating like you said. This ref probably doesn't care whether or not he made the initial bad call--what bball ref calls a 100% perfect game ever? I think he's probably taking issue with what the reporter is insinuating. I mean it's highly possible that it was a dismissive "You'll get it back," as in, "Quit whining, we score baskets every 10 seconds in this game, you'll get it back at some point."

Giantwarrior
03-16-2011, 10:28 AM
That always happens. when a bad call is made they always hook you up later.

Giantwarrior
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
NBA is a conspiracy. I bet theres a shiet ton of skeletons in David Sterns closet.

Htownballa1622
03-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I think with the ref stigma in the NBA, all the current refs are probably really touchy about any accusations of fixing/cheating like you said. This ref probably doesn't care whether or not he made the initial bad call--what bball ref calls a 100% perfect game ever? I think he's probably taking issue with what the reporter is insinuating. I mean it's highly possible that it was a dismissive "You'll get it back," as in, "Quit whining, we score baskets every 10 seconds in this game, you'll get it back at some point."

Yes I see what you're saying.

I'm not completely dismissing that the ref might have said it like that.the reporter could have it twisted but I don't think he'd lie about something like this.

WSU Tony
03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
It takes 2+ sources when it comes to reporting...

kawinsiski only has himself...

Rentzias
03-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes I see what you're saying.

I'm not completely dismissing that the ref might have said it like that.the reporter could have it twisted but I don't think he'd lie about something like this.

Why not? I'm a former journalist, albeit not a beat reporter, so I didn't have to get scoops, but I'm still friends with some who are, and sometimes, you just have to have product out there. How many times have journalists pushed "sources close to the team say LeBron James is going so and so" wrongly? And it was just a few years ago that a respected reporter admitted to blatant plagiarism and making up facts/sources (I've posted from WRONG sources here for sure).

By no means do we give the journalist the benefit of the doubt here over the ref. Being a $h!tty Crawford-type ref is different from being Tim Donaghy.

koLohe2133
03-16-2011, 11:24 AM
So can I sue my ex for libel and slander? We broke up and she put on her Facebook status that I was such a douschebag? Im a carbon based human being and demand reparations!

Rentzias
03-16-2011, 11:26 AM
So can I sue my ex for libel and slander? We broke up and she put on her Facebook status that I was such a douschebag? Im a carbon based human being and demand reparations!

Was being a boyfriend your full time job and source of income? And is you being a douchebag boyfriend something you could go to prison for?

AddiX
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
There should be a serious review of NBA officiating. Everyone hates it, and I think there are toms of realistic fans who see what teams benefit and dint benefit from it.

If Donnie could get away with fixing games this whole time and every major gambler in Vegas knew about it, yet the NBA didn't.

Who the hell else knows WTF is going on in this league. God knows stern didn't do a damn thing about the big 3 and Miami who just happened to have an entire salary cap for 3 max players. Nothing illegal about that, right stern?

Htownballa1622
03-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Why not? I'm a former journalist, albeit not a beat reporter, so I didn't have to get scoops, but I'm still friends with some who are, and sometimes, you just have to have product out there. How many times have journalists pushed "sources close to the team say LeBron James is going so and so" wrongly? And it was just a few years ago that a respected reporter admitted to blatant plagiarism and making up facts/sources (I've posted from WRONG sources here for sure).

By no means do we give the journalist the benefit of the doubt here over the ref. Being a $h!tty Crawford-type ref is different from being Tim Donaghy.

I just feel was it really worth $75,000for him to lie to write that?
Im not saying I take his word over the refs but I don't doubt that it was said by the ref one minute.

I really feel like many aspects of this game is corrupted.