PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson: Kobe Bryant a game time decision vs. Magic (ESPN article).

Bruno
03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6213667

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Lakers received a scare Saturday night in Dallas, when Kobe Bryant landed awkwardly on his left ankle with 1:52 remaining in the third quarter, re-aggravating an injury suffered two games prior in Atlanta and sending him limping to the locker room for evaluation.

He returned in the fourth quarter, but the injury, which he called a sprain, put his availability for Monday's game against the Orlando Magic at Staples Center in question.

Sunday's practice provided no answers, as Bryant didn't speak with reporters after arriving at the team's training facility for treatment. He will be re-evaluated Monday. In the meantime, his status remains the same.

"He'll be a game-time decision. We hope he'll be able to play," coach Phil Jackson said.

Bryant, averaging a team-high 25 points along with 4.8 assists and 5.2 rebounds, has played in all 67 of his team's games this year.

The Lakers have three days off following their date with the Magic before facing Minnesota at home Friday night. Jackson indicated the break wouldn't influence any decision about Bryant's availability Monday night.

"It would be great to have him have [extra] days off to get better, but if he's capable of playing, he'll play," Jackson said.

Last season, Bryant missed nine games with a variety of ailments. In his absence, the Lakers went 6-3, including wins against Portland, San Antonio, and Utah, along with narrow losses to Denver and Boston.

Asked what they did well without him in the lineup, Jackson replied, "We ran our offense. It's that simple."

Saturday, Bryant said his initial thoughts about the injury were grim.

"I thought I was done, like done," Bryant said, describing the sprain as the scariest of his career. "I was just praying that when I stood up my foot was lined up straight. ... That scared the s--- out of me. I thought I dislocated it.

"We were all pretty scared ... to be honest with you because it looked horrible and it felt worse."

Bryant returned to the bench, and indicated to Jackson he was able to go.

"I asked him if he wanted to play. But he was there, and he said 'Yeah, I'm here to play,'" Jackson said Sunday. "He got back out there and helped us win it, but he was moving less than 100 percent."

Should Kobe be forced out of Monday's game, Jackson indicated it might not be the worst thing for him or the team.

"The big thing about Kobe last year is he played through a lot of injuries and then sat out for six games, and I thought it helped him out overall," he said.

Jackson also expressed concern for small forward Matt Barnes, who returned to action March 6 after missing 26 games following surgery on his right knee. Barnes seemed to tweak the knee against Dallas. He was on the floor for a light workout for the team Sunday afternoon, but Jackson couldn't say for sure Barnes would be available against the Magic.

"I don't think [he'll miss the game], but we really haven't felt comfortable all the way around with this," Jackson said. "It's like a day-to-day thing with him, still. [An injury suffered stretching before playing Charlotte March 5] puts him out, then he sat out a practice because he was feeling some residual pain from the Miami game. So we're still not out of the woods on this one, yet."

Supreme LA
03-14-2011, 08:17 AM
I for one hope Kobe sits this one out. It looked real bad and I once landed very similar, if not exactly the same way he did on his ankle. I actually heard a snap and a break but later found out it was a bone bruise. Kobe is tough as nails man because I couldn't even move or stand up straight on my own after that. It was the only ankle injury I have ever had and boy was it bad.

I had to do therapy for about 3 weeks before I could play and I didn't feel comfortable jumping in the lane for about another 2 or 3 months I was so scared of re-injuring it. Even during that time, my ankle felt weak and it actually gave out on numerous occasions and rolled a few more times before I got back strength in the ligaments.

6 days off could do Kobe a lot of good in the long run. You don't want an injury like that to linger around, especially this late into the season.

midwestlaker75
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
While Kobe probably should sit not only this game against Orlando, But maybe even the Minnesota game on Friday too. That would give him a full seven days off, And also a chance to rest his entire body. However as we all know, If Kobe can walk...He will play!

Hellcrooner
03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Sit him.

Theres no need risking the THREPEAT because he is too stubborn to sit out.

+ it would work wonders for the team morale if we defeat a contender like Orlando withouth him on the court.
Pau and Bynum can hold them , im msure.
+ Would show him theres no need to shoot 25 a game for us to win.

da wood
03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
well sitting him will make drew play better in my opinion

da wood
03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
and i think it would do wonders for him also if he could really play against howard and do really good and we win. **** what more is there to say

8kobe24
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I think Kobe's gotta sit this one out, this ain't no finger sprain. He has to at least let it get stronger. Chances of him re-spraining his ankle at this stage is likely. A couple of games wouldn't hurt.

LA_Raiders
03-14-2011, 01:49 PM
He should sit and rest a full week...

Orl & Minny can be beat without Colby

GREATNESS ONE
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
^Agreed. We have 2 games next week and a full weeks rest would do wonders for The Mamba.

DoubleDragon
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
His back-ups need some confidence going late into the season. Take a rest Mamba. The world will keep turning. At least the Orlando game.

championships
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
It was reported that Phil says Kobe is feeling alot better today but he is still a game time decision. I think he plays. If he can walk on it, There is nothing that can keep that man off of the court.

Storch
03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Kobe just sit down and rest man, all the lakers need is to be in the playoffs. HCA doesn't mean much at the moment. His health is a greater concern than HCA.

Hellcrooner
03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Kobe just sit down and rest man, all the lakers need is to be in the playoffs. HCA doesn't mean much at the moment. His health is a greater concern than HCA.

HCA is important but the thing is its more likely to win the finals with no HCA and with kobe on the picth.

If we get Hca but Kobe injurys we will be dead at second round or Conference finals at best.

KillaInstinct24
03-14-2011, 05:15 PM
theres no way kobe sits against his buddy dwight. he wants to provide some more info about the real estate market in LA to howard