PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Interested In Signing Billups To Cap-Friendly Extension

fadedmario
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
The Knicks can save $10.5 million of Chauncey Billups' $14.2 million salary for the 11-12 season if they elect to waive him within five days of their final game.

But a source tells Alan Hahn that the Knicks aren't considering that option and instead have interest in signing Billups to an extension beyond 2012.

The Knicks believe Billups is the right point guard to direct their offense and that an extension would free up money to make upgrades to the roster via free agency.

The Knicks are currently slated to have cap space in 2012, though that is dependent on what happens with CBA talks.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=68165D2B19D4643377EC.3076?site=n ewsday&view=knicks_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2755816&nopaging=1

jkcronyn
03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
why wouldn't they wait and make a play for nash? i think he'd be great with melo and stat billups is just going to be too old too soon

Swashcuff
03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
why wouldn't they wait and make a play for nash? i think he'd be great with melo and stat billups is just going to be too old too soon

Nash is older than Billups you know. They also have to wait till the end of next season to make a move for Nash. If they indeed were willing to wait he'd be their plan C with Chauncey being their plan D.

D1JM
03-13-2011, 08:19 PM

nash is actually two years older than billups. more like a year and half

jkcronyn
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
sorry haha my bad but i still don't think chauncey is gonna be the best option if they're serious about a championship considering they're at least 3 years away from a title run

Chill_Will_24
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Man wasnt the whole point of pairing those overpaid morons to attract CP3 or DWill to form a big three? They should stay the course and target CP3, DWill, or Dwight... I mean im watching them right now and i must say they are a long way from competing. Better to get that third star and then get Billups as a backup

WrongIslander
03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Forget D-Will and CP3 if you can get Dwight, this team is crying out for a big man, hell get Pryz or someone like that, anyone!

NYK_kidd77
03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Forget D-Will and CP3 if you can get Dwight, this team is crying out for a big man, hell get Pryz or someone like that, anyone!

The Knicks wont win anything even with a superstar at every position if Mike is the coach. Dwight doesn't want to play in the NY area anyway though. He said something about liking the city but cant deal with how cold it gets.

Crackadalic
03-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Sign Billups to a decent price and sign some bigs and good role players in 2012 to fix our holes and we set. Im tired of the whole Big 3 BS

magichatnumber9
03-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Ny needs to think about a new coach more then anything

WrongIslander
03-13-2011, 08:59 PM
The Knicks wont win anything even with a superstar at every position if Mike is the coach. Dwight doesn't want to play in the NY area anyway though. He said something about liking the city but cant deal with how cold it gets.

I'd bet anything he's going to L.A. He wants to be an actor once he finishes Basketball.

bmd1101
03-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Howard and Amare w/ melo wouldnt work out, not enough touches to go around and I doubt Howard would want to be happy being the token defensive center in NY. Howard to the knicks just isnt gonna happen.

Chill_Will_24
03-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Howard and Amare w/ melo wouldnt work out, not enough touches to go around and I doubt Howard would want to be happy being the token defensive center in NY. Howard to the knicks just isnt gonna happen.

Disagree. The reason Dwight is a superstar is because he DOESNT need the ball to operate. Putbacks, dunks, rebounds, blocks, amazing defense, drawing fouls... Dwight next to Amare would be amazing...

Chill_Will_24
03-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Camby!!!

Swashcuff
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
the knicks wont win anything even with a superstar at every position if mike is the coach. dwight doesn't want to play in the ny area anyway though. He said something about liking the city but cant deal with how cold it gets.

this!

oak2455
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Camby!!!

too old but like the thinking also get rid of Mike D:mad::mad::mad::mad: hes killing the Knicks:facepalm:

Swashcuff
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
sorry haha my bad but i still don't think chauncey is gonna be the best option if they're serious about a championship considering they're at least 3 years away from a title run

He may not be the best option but neither is Mike D'antoni, Ronny Turiaf may not be the best option either. In Billups, Melo and Amar'e the Knicks have tons of playoff experience and that in itself is what will have them in the run for a title as soon as next season and not in 3 years.

What they NEED is a quality starting C (eg. Tyson Chandler) they won't make a run for Chandler, Gasol etc because of the fact that Dwight is going to be a part of the 2012 FA class and NY could possibly be a destination for him. The need a change of coach/system (more defensive) and a legit interior presence.

Gram
03-14-2011, 12:16 AM

Isn't Nash 36 and Billups 33? lol.

NYYCowboys
03-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Fire d'antoni!!!

Q_bully
03-14-2011, 12:51 AM
They have to get rid of Mike Dantoni ,I dont see the Knicks doing skwot with him as head coach.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
03-14-2011, 10:06 AM

BINGO!!

someone defensive minded and theyd be lookin reeaal good. (look what happened to the Bulls after they got Thibby)

Tarheels23
03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
They should.... Billups still has 2 more years after this season of high level Bball.

Not to mention, it seems like Melo and Amare really like the guy. You need a floor general in the NBA these days.

BigCityofDreams
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Man wasnt the whole point of pairing those overpaid morons to attract CP3 or DWill to form a big three? They should stay the course and target CP3, DWill, or Dwight... I mean im watching them right now and i must say they are a long way from competing. Better to get that third star and then get Billups as a backup

Exactly don't go off course right now when the last piece is Cp3 or D Will.

Sly Guy
03-14-2011, 11:06 AM

d'antoni looked good for the same reason a lot of other people in the nba have....because of nash

KnickFanSince91
03-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Truer words have never been spoken. I've been on #TeamFireDantoni for the longest.

smith&wesson
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
the knicks should fire done-toni and hire jerry sloan.

the knicks should also go after al jeff from utah.

billups
fields
melo
stat
al jeff

lead by jerry sloan, that will be a tough team to contend with.

Lim
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
samuel dalembert to be in a knicks uni next year?

knickfan4life
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
this is a thread on billups and if we should sign him to an extension or not... not about mike D being fired or not.

i agree, Knicks are not jelling right now, but Mike D is the perfect coach for amare and melo's style of play, the way they like it... we simply dont have the pieces to fit into Mikes system, we dont have the type of big necessary for this system, we dont have the legit shooters we need, but its ok, he has til the end of this season and maybe even 20-30 games into next season to show us what he can do... after that, we can talk about fireing him

as for billups, depends on how much cap space we have next season and what type of contract he wants... if we waive him, does the $4M count against our cap next season? if not, how much cap space will we have in the offseason? plus we still would have to pay billups, I'd give him 3 years 15 mil, plus the $4 mil he will get when we waive him, so i mean it all depends on how much cap space we have next year, if doing this will allow us to sign 1-2 guys, possibly a big man and a backup for billups... and we need a more legit swingman who can be dangerous off the bench b/c our backups are not cutting it right now

if signing billups to this extension allows us to pick up 2-3 key guys, than go for it, if not, just let him get paid and than we talk after next year, see where he is and see whose available and what other options we may have

knickfan4life
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
the knicks should fire done-toni and hire jerry sloan.

the knicks should also go after al jeff from utah.

billups
fields
melo
stat
al jeff

lead by jerry sloan, that will be a tough team to contend with.

who are the knicks going to give up or what are we going to give up to get Al Jeff? lets be a little realistic please... thanks

dtmagnet
03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
It makes sense to re-sign Billups, they most likely won't have the cap to go after Paul or Williams after this CBA .

LA_Raiders
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
That would be a good move. Then the Lakers can get CP3 or DH.

xabial
03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Camby!!!

A 40 year old Camby is better then Jared Jeffries or Ronny Turiaf. (With all due Respect)

BigCityofDreams
03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
That would be a good move. Then the Lakers can get CP3 or DH.

In a perfect world the Lakers would get both lol. It will be interesting to see what the Lakers do moving forward because they can't just stand pat.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Lol Jerry Sloan would be cool... but, If Deron Williams was enough to drive Coach Sloan crazy. Imagine what Melo and Amare would do.

WizFan3
03-14-2011, 04:32 PM
y would they do this theyre prob gettn cp3 anyway and douglas is rily good

xabial
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
y would they do this theyre prob gettn cp3 anyway and douglas is rily good

Bcuz Knicks have the worst Starting Center in the NBA in Jeffries, who cant hit a shot to save his life, isnt much of a rebounder, bricks layups,take charges and will get a you about a block a game. He's only good at defense and that defense comes at the cost of the fundemantals of basketball. His awesome "defense" doesnt always work on every Center though. He's very skinny.

If Dwight goes to the knicks and im not holding my breath, thats the best team in the NBA, and you can quote me on that. Dwight-Carmelo-Amare would be a sick Tantrum, but i can dream right? Sorry Magic Fans, i know he'll probably resign with you this year But the even the 1% chance of dwight coming is making me :drool:

Fnom11
03-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Pretty sure Billups wont do that anyway. He stated he wanted a buyout if he were to get traded before the trade happened. He wants back in Denver, even if it's just an assistant coaching job.