PDA

View Full Version : Characterizing Nba markets.

Flash3
03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
i always get confused with this so i thought i make a thread to get a better understanding

Large

Big

Medium

Small

Reversed86Curse
03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
are you asking people to put teams into these 4 groups or are you just showing what the four groups are?

Flash3
03-12-2011, 02:56 PM
are you asking people to put teams into these 4 groups or are you just showing what the four groups are?

yea put teams in the groups.

Flash3
03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
bump.

Chitownhero14
03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Large
Lakers
Clippers
Knicks
Bulls
Celtics

Big
Heat
Magic
Spurs
Mavericks

Medium
Rockets
Hawks
76ers
Nets (Will move up once in Brooklyn)
Nuggets
Hornets
Grizzlies
Pistons

Small
Pacers
Bobcats
T-Wolves
Kings
Bucks
Suns
Warriors
Raptors
Cavaliers
Wizards
Thunder
Jazz
Blazers

Thats basically from what i've heard...i disagree with some of them but this is just the consensous

Its not based on how good the team is but how the town/area of the team is

NYKalltheway
03-12-2011, 03:30 PM
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Boston

those are large for sure. Don't wanna make the full list :p

Sixerlover
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Miami nor San Antonio nor Orlando are big NBA markets. They are small market / medium market teams IMO, they just all have very good teams.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Large: New York(including NJ), LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philly, Boston
Big: Bay Area, Atlanta, DC, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Minnesota, Miami, Denver, Toronto
Medium: Cleveland, Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Charlotte, Indy, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, San Antonio
Small: OKC, Memphis, New Orleans

davids22
03-12-2011, 04:03 PM
In before the Toronto fans come in and whine how they're a huge city.

Let's define what you mean by big and small market. We're not talking population, we're talking a combination of population, fanbase, and an NBA players desire to go to that team. Toronto IS a small NBA market in my eyes simply because it's cold and in another country, which deters a lot of NBA players from wanting to play there.

Flash3
03-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Let's define what you mean by big and small market. We're not talking population, we're talking a combination of population, fanbase, and an NBA players desire to go to that team. Toronto IS a small NBA market in my eyes simply because it's cold and in another country, which deters a lot of NBA players from wanting to play there.

combination of population,size,team worth,wealth etc is what i was barking on i don't know if the willingness of players wanting to play there should play much of a factor or any at all.

geraptor
03-12-2011, 04:19 PM

i understand that players dont necessarily want to go there but that does not make them a small market.

geraptor
03-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Big: Bay Area, Atlanta, DC, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Minnesota, Miami, Denver, Toronto
Medium: Cleveland, Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Charlotte, Indy, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, San Antonio

i agree with this.

edit: atlanta and houston debatable.

Sadds The Gr8
03-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Atlanta is FAR from a big market.

Geargo Wallace
03-12-2011, 04:35 PM

are you high?

Sadds The Gr8
03-12-2011, 04:37 PM

we're a way bigger market than Milwaukee though

asandhu23
03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Warriors are not a small market. they will soon be one of the biggest once the Kings move to Anaheim.

Then they will have all of Northern California. that is a lot of people. Might even end up as the biggest

davids22
03-12-2011, 07:54 PM
we're a way bigger market than Milwaukee though

Your point? I never said Milwaukee was a bigger market or a desirable location for athletes. Part of the reason the Bucks are bad is because we can't attract anyone in free agency and have to overpay people to come here. It's the same with the Brewers.

black1605
03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

SpeeMN
03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I am from Minneapolis but live in Milwaukee right now. The Twin Cities is a Large Market because there are around 4 million within a 40 minute drive of the stadiums, with a huge arts scene, economy based on innovation and plenty of nightlife. Milwaukee is probably a medium market because there are a whole lot of people living in this area, even though the downtown is no larger than St. Paul, or Hartford CT. Milwaukee's economy sucks.... other than beer of course. And their sports team's suck.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-12-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Yeah thats what I used for my rankings.

Bramaca
03-12-2011, 09:51 PM
The following is a post I made in a different thread but same topic;

Just to give people an idea of what size the different markets are.

Huge market

New York 19,069,796
Los Angelas 12,874,797
Chicago 9,580,567

Large market

Dallas 6,447,615
Philadelphia 5,968,252
Houston 5,867,489
Toronto 5,555,912
Miami 5,547,051
Washington 5,476,241
Atlanta 5,475,213
Boston 4,588,680
Detroit 4,403,437
Pheonix 4,364,094
Golden State 4,317,853

Minnesota would be in between large and small markets with a population of 3,269,814

Small market

Denver 2,552,195
Portland 2,241,841
Sacramento 2,127,355
Cleveland 2,091,286
Orlando 2,082,421
San Antonio 2,072,128

Very small market

Charlotte 1,745,524
Indiana 1,743,658
Milwaukee 1,559,667
Memphis 1,304,926
Oklahoma City 1,227,278
New Orleans 1,189,981
Utah 1,130,293

There are some other factors such as certain teams having more of a regional draw but this is basically a breakdown of which cities are what for large and small markets. As a side note, there are 10 cities without an NBA team that have a population over 2 million including 3 with more then 3 million and another 15 to 20 with as many or more people then Utah and New Orleans.

asandhu23
03-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Golden State 4,317,853

Dude. Bay Area has 7 million people. Add areas outside of that but still in Northern California like Monterey, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, Napa. Once Kings leave, W's will probably get Kings media circle. that will be the whole upper central valley. The whole northern california will be theirs. It is on the verge of becoming a HUGE market. All they need to do is move to San Francisco across the bay from where they are

Bramaca
03-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Dude. Bay Area has 7 million people. Add areas outside of that but still in Northern California like Monterey, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, Napa. Once Kings leave, W's will probably get Kings media circle. that will be the whole upper central valley. The whole northern california will be theirs. It is on the verge of becoming a HUGE market. All they need to do is move to San Francisco across the bay from where they are

Dude, its the metropolitan populations. If you read the whole post you would have noticed how I mentioned there are other factors such as certain cities having more of a regional draw.

magichatnumber9
03-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Warriors are not a small market. they will soon be one of the biggest once the Kings move to Anaheim.

Then they will have all of Northern California. that is a lot of people. Might even end up as the biggest
Sorry but the Lakers still have a heavy influence in that area

papipapsmanny
03-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Wizards are def in one of the bigger markets drawing fan interest from DC, DE, MD, and VA

Bravo95
03-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Atlanta is FAR from a big market.
Incorrect. Hartsfield-Jackson is probably the largest airport in the country and the city hosts plenty of major college sporting events (Final Fours, SEC Championship in fball/bball, etc), a few Super Bowls, plus the Summer Olympics in '96. Hundreds of thousands moved here during the mid '90s, specifically to metro areas like Decatur, College Park, East Point, Sandy Springs, Marietta, but it's all included. You'll rarely find people who live in Atlanta that are actually from here, and that leads to a major reason why it's difficult for the pro teams to sell out home games: The out-of-towners have no attachment to the teams and they won't drive that distance without a superstar as the main attraction or a championship-caliber squad. The other problem is, the owners of the local pro sports franchises (excluding Arthur Blank) are incompetent and/or operate with a small-market mentality.

Rego247
03-13-2011, 01:23 AM

i have a funny feeling that its cold in new york and chicago. i also have a hunch it snows in those places as well.

Sly Guy
03-13-2011, 10:05 AM
unless you can say you've spent time in every city during the NBA season, I don't see how anyone could 'categorize' all the NBA teams.

Flash3
03-13-2011, 10:49 AM
unless you can say you've spent time in every city during the NBA season, I don't see how anyone could 'categorize' all the NBA teams.

huh ? we're categorizing the markets i don't think you have visit there to do it.

mike_noodles
03-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Your arguments are baffling :facepalm:

Toronto is actually the 5th largest city in North America and 4th largest in the NBA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_North_America. Therefore they cannot be considered a small market team.

If you understand what a "market" is, then this would be easy for you to understand.

sunnydayin'zona
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
weird coincidence, i googled largest and smallest nba markets looking to post in the nba hard cap thread and i came upon this thread...

KaganRS
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm down with Milwaukee , why aren't you ?

DerekRE_3
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Large
Lakers
Clippers
Knicks
Bulls
Celtics

Big
Heat
Magic
Spurs
Mavericks

Medium
Rockets
Hawks
76ers
Nets (Will move up once in Brooklyn)
Nuggets
Hornets
Grizzlies
Pistons

Small
Pacers
Bobcats
T-Wolves
Kings
Bucks
Suns
Warriors
Raptors
Cavaliers
Wizards
Thunder
Jazz
Blazers

Thats basically from what i've heard...i disagree with some of them but this is just the consensous

Its not based on how good the team is but how the town/area of the team is

The Warriors aren't small market. They are the only NBA team in the Bay Area, one of the largest sports markets in the country.