PDA

View Full Version : NBA Redraft Playoffs: 1) San Francisco Hippies v. 8) El Paso Vipers

Mile High Champ
03-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than letís say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

1) San Francisco v. 8) El Paso

San Francisco has Home Court Advantage

San Francisco Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16604276&postcount=18)
El Paso Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16604644&postcount=19)

San Francisco Depth Chart
PG: Devin Harris / Jarrett Jack / Jeff Teague
SG: Arron Afflalo / Gary Neal
SF: Andre Iguodala / Austin Daye
PF: Pau Gasol / Shelden Williams
C: DeJuan Blair / Nenad Krstic / Kosta Koufos
Inactive: Juwan Howard

El Paso Depth Chart
PG: Steve Nash, Johnny Flynn
SG: CJ Miles, Jason Terry
SF: Caron Butler, Jodie Meeks
PF: David Lee, Carl Landry
C: Andris Biedrins, Cole Aldrich,
Extras are James Anderson, Trevor Booker, Luke Harengody

San Francisco Write UP

Before starting with the matchup we'd like to thank all of those who have helped us get the #1 seed.
Also we'd like to congratulate El Paso for making the playoffs.

We will not be making childish one on one comparisons between the starters as in the game of basketball there are certain things that matter most. Neither team has a Top 5 superstar in the game so it's not

The strength of the San Francisco team lies on teamwork. There is excellent balance of offense-defense, rebounding and shooting and ability to use both halfcourt and fastbreak schemes. Our bench gives us great flexibility and the lineup can be mixed up with variety with players like Austin Daye able to play from SG to PF, Pau Gasol DeJuan Blair and Shelden Williams who can all play PF and C as well for example.

All 5 starters are solid scorers and the rotation stands at 10 strong players plus Jeff Teague and Kosta Koufos who are two very good prospects and can provide some quality off the bench in order to give some breathers to the core players.
The starting lineup meshes up really well and there are guys off the bench that can hit three's like not many in the league.

Handling the matchup

El Paso's main strength is the scoring ability of their players as well as Nash's quality of distributing the ball. Their bench is not that impressive which makes it hard for them to tackle this encounter with more than one gameplan.

The defense of their starters is close to non-existent while their offense while being very impressive, if the starters can work together, is probably not enough to overcome the defensive pressure of the San Francisco franchise.

Their biggest bet is their wing offense with Jason Terry and Caron Butler but facing Afflalo and Iguodala makes their task very hard. Iguodala is arguably the best defensive SF on the game this season while Afflalo is a great defensive presence on the perimeter.

It is expected that Nash will run the pick and roll with David Lee when they are looking for scoring from inside where Gasol will be giving Lee some hard times.

El Paso can argue that Andris Biedrins has height advantage over Blair which might be important, but that's why Krstic will be used a lot and it's the reason why Koufos will be in the 12man roster instead of the veteran Howard.
Only department El Paso has the edge is on the Nash vs Harris matchup where neither are great defenders but can both do a lot of offensive damage.

While El Paso can use a run and gun system, San Francisco's team is perfect for the fast break on both ends. It's really not an advantage to play fast ball versus a team like San Francisco.

El Paso can score three digits versus most teams but San Francisco can contain such offensive sides while there's got to be some defensive presence in the paint to stop Gasol-Blair. And having Terry-Butler as offensive weapons versus Afflalo and Iguodala is not the ideal scenario for them.

El Paso Write Up

First things first.
I'd like to thank Mile High Champ for putting together a wonderful re-draft regardless of the result here.
A big shout out to my co's mr.nate and adidas, this has been probably the funnest re-draft i ve done so far because of you two.

Regarding this matchup, congrats to nyyanks and nykalltheway for getting the 1st seed. You both have put together a very good squad and I congratulate you for that.

As for this matchup, most people would come in here and give the same old bull ****. I think my team has a chance to win and this and that. Obviously it is no easy task to take down the 1st seed as an 8th seed, but it has been done. And if you look at the matchups, we actually matchup VERY well with this San Fran team.

Note: Injuries are only a factor if a player has a record of being hurt (eg Yao Ming). Caron Butler is out for the rest of this season, but he has the history of being a relatively injury free player. Therefore, he is treated like he is healthy in this game and plays this series like the way he would when he is 100%.

Starting 5:
Steve Nash vs Devin Harris. Nash wins.
Stat comparision: 15.7, 3.5, 11.4 vs 15, 2.5, 7.6
Description: Nash is on the next level and is a leader. Harris is not. Simple.

CJ Miles vs Arron Afflalo.
Stat comparision: 12.4, 3.3, 1.6 vs 12.9, 3.7, 2,4
Description: This is a very interesting matchup. They are both shut down players who play key roles for their respective teams. This is a wash IMO as they re both very similar players. Their stats are hardly different at all..tie.

Caron Butler vs Andre Iguodala.
Stat comparision: 15.0, 4.1, 1.6 vs 14.3, 6, 6.4
This is a wash IMO. Caron Butler and Iguodala are similar types of players. They are both scorers but Iguodala is not very efficient. Maybe give Iggy the small edge because of his passing ability, but Caron is a hell of a player and shouldnt be underestimated at all.

David Lee vs Pau Gasol.
Stat comparision: 16.1, 9.7, 3.2 vs 18.6, 10.4, 3.5
This is obviously a win for San Francisco. But if you break it down, Pau isnt great defensively. Neither is Lee. Pau is good to great offensively, but so is Lee. The only thing Pau has on Lee is his offensive skills and back to the basket moves. Pau scores 2 more points then David, and grabs 0.7 more boards then him, and 0.3 more assists then David a game. They re both equally bad on defense and Lee and Pau is really not that much of a difference. I d actually call this a tie, but Pau is in that next level as a player then Lee the same way Nash is to Harris.

Andris Biedrins vs DeJuan Blair
Stat comparision: 5.2, 7.4, 1.1 vs 8.6, 7.2, 1.0
Another wash. Biedrins rebounds a bit more, Blair scores a bit more, they both have limited offensive roles. The only thing Blair has on Biedrins is his energy to the game. Biedrins however is 7 feet tall while Blair is hardly 6-7. That is a 4 inch difference in which Biedrins can make up the necessary rebounding and defensive presence.
Bench:
Flynn vs Jack. Flynn is every bit as good as Jack is.
Teague vs Terry. Terry is a former 6th man and is one of the best 6th man in the league.
Neal vs Meeks. Neal is the better player here.
Landry vs Daye. Landry >>>>>> Daye. Landry is a starter for most teams and is coming off the bench here.
Aldrich vs Kristic. Both played for OKC. Kristic is soft. Aldrich is hardnosed. Not really a factor but I Kristic probably wins this one.

So the bench...We have 3 players that are better then their opponent at their respective position. Neal is a solid player and he wins his matchup, Kristic wins his. You can call it a tie if you d like with the Flynn vs Jack, but I feel my bench can contribute a lot more then his can. My bench has players that can start for a LOT of teams and is very deep.

Game Plan:
We will be using a 8 man rotation.

Nash (37 mins), Flynn (11 mins)
CJ Miles (18 mins), Terry (30 mins)
Butler (35 mins), CJ Miles (13 mins)
Lee (25 mins), Landry (23 mins)
Biedrins (30 mins), Lee (18 mins)

When its playoff time, teams have certain rotations that play the entire game. Of course, those are approximate minutes.

Why do we win?
According to the matchups, Nash is better then Harris, Gasols better then Lee, the rest really are washes. We are more then competitive enough to put up with this San Francisco team and I really thing we have a shot here to pull off an upset.

Our X-Factor: Jason Terry. Duh, one of the leagues best 6th man. He ll be our spark and play starter minutes.

Mile High Champ
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Let the voting begin.

goblazers7
03-12-2011, 12:34 PM
San Fran.

NYKalltheway
03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Something is missing from our write up :p
(might be my fault)

EDIT: Yup, my fault, never completed that sentence for some reason :D

PhillyLuver
03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
First of all, Iggy vs Caron Butler is not a wash. I don't think San Fran will make it to the finals, but they'll win this one.

John Walls Era
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
First of all, Iggy vs Caron Butler is not a wash. I don't think San Fran will make it to the finals, but they'll win this one.

By that you better mean AI is better....

PhillyLuver
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
correct

Mile High Champ
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
San Fran starting to run away with it.

TO Rapz
03-12-2011, 03:07 PM
San Fran starting to run away with it.

give em the win, we re not coming back lol

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-12-2011, 03:09 PM
San Fran.

mrblisterdundee
03-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Who the hell named their team the San Francisco Hippies? There are no hippies left in San Francisco; just yuppies.

NYKalltheway
03-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Who the hell named their team the San Francisco Hippies? There are no hippies left in San Francisco; just yuppies.

There are no lakes in LA either :cool: